Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Louis C.K. (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=44939)

Cobpyth 03-11-16 10:40 PM

Louis C.K.

Louis C.K. is in my opinion one of the greatest artists working in the entertainment industry today.

http://publishingperspectives.com/wp...Louis-C.K..jpg

Noone comes close to his qualities as a stand-up comedian these days, his TV series, Louie, is probably one of the best and most unique things that's ever been shown on television and his new web series, Horace and Pete, is yet again proof of his extraordinary skills as both a comedic and especially a dramatic writer.

He's certainly in my top 10, if not top 5, most interesting artists working today.

Just thought I needed to point out the magnificence of this man's mind somewhere, so I decided to make this thread.
I'd be happy to talk with other people about the different elements that make him so unique (or not unique, if you think so) as well.

What's your favorite thing Louis has ever done? What do you like/dislike about his work? Discuss!

jiraffejustin 03-11-16 11:29 PM

Re: Louis C.K.

I was thinking a lot about Louis today after watching the first episode of Horace and Pete. I agree with everything you've said about him, and I think he's ahead of his time. The way he changed the business model of stand-up specials has been an improvement, and he's using that model with Horace and Pete. He's proving to be more than just a funny man, and his dramatic work is every bit as good as his comedy.

bluedeed 03-12-16 12:02 AM

There's a second episode of Horace and Pete by the way guys. Love most of what Louie does, with a few exceptions, but I think the exceptions result more from him creating so much rather than some larger conflict with his philosophy and art.

matt72582 03-12-16 09:07 AM

After music and film, stand-up is most important to me. Louis C.K. is one of my favorites. I don't like when he's being crass, but when he actually gets serious, or jokes about society, the system, war, etc., it's great. A lot of the appeal is his self-deprecation and honesty.

How was "Horace and Pete" and is he taking a long hiatus from Louie? I liked the first season, but felt the show went down after his long break. He took the stand-up and replaced it with serious situations, some not interesting at all.

Redwell 03-12-16 10:15 AM

I'm not very high on Louie, the show, but his stand up output is definitely some of the best today.

colejwalker 03-13-16 09:48 PM

Yeah I love C.K.'s work and I hope that one day he does a feature film because he's one of those guys that I feel could possibly give us the next big comedy. Louie may be the most relatable show of all time.

Cobpyth 05-01-16 11:41 PM

Great podcast with Louis for people who HAVE SEEN Horace and Pete already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJjoH97VoG4

If you haven't, you really should. I think it's genuinely one of the best creative things made in the last few years! Truly fantastic stuff.

Gideon58 05-03-16 05:14 PM

What are you, his publicist?

Yoda 05-03-16 05:17 PM

What a weird comment. He posts about him because he's a fan.

matt72582 05-03-16 05:45 PM

I'm 1/3 into "Horace and Pete" - this is awful and ditzy. I'm going to try and finish this, but for those on the fence, go watch a movie or something.

Cobpyth 04-06-17 12:29 PM

His new special called 'Louis C.K. 2017' can be seen on Netflix now!

It's not his very best work, but I liked a lot of it.

My favorite three bits were:

WARNING: "The Show" spoilers below
- "The Christians won - 2017"
- "9 11 Deniers"
- "Elizabethian proposals"

McConnaughay 04-06-17 03:21 PM

I've never watched Louie or any of his other work besides in Stand-Up, but I think he's alright from what I've seen. I don't share the sentiment that he is greatly talented, I think he's simply entertaining and tells jokes, nothing more, nothing less, whereas, I thought George Carlin had more substance in-terms of philosophy and think Bo Burnham is the best active comedian right now, though, I think that because he does more than stand on-stage and tell stories. That's just me though..

Shagz 04-07-17 02:12 AM

I've watched a couple of his stand up specials and I loved them both,
I found him to be unique and hilarious.

His now one of my favourite comedians his specials are some of the best I've seen.

I love how he has the balls to say all those things about his wife and parenting.

I found some of the subject matter was quite shocking. But I still found it a bit funny because of shock value.

I herd he got divorced I wonder if it was because of his stand up.

His stand up is funny but I kind of feel like he comes off like a bit of a ass hole I'm not sure what I think of him as a person.

Patton Oswalt is another great modern comedian. I think I like him a bit better than Louis.

cat_sidhe 04-07-17 05:13 AM

I've only seen a clip or two of him, he seems all right. I'm in the mood for some good stand-up comedy, but it has to be "all that". Bad comedy puts me in a **** mood. :lol:

ScarletLion 04-07-17 06:02 AM

Has everyone seen "Horace and Pete" yet? Proper astounding bit of television that. Completely unique.

Cobpyth 04-07-17 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1683867)
Has everyone seen "Horace and Pete" yet? Proper astounding bit of television that. Completely unique.
I have and I agree. A profound piece of television.

seanc 04-07-17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1683353)
His new special called 'Louis C.K. 2017' can be seen on Netflix now!

It's not his very best work, but I liked a lot of it.

My favorite three bits were:

WARNING: "The Show" spoilers below
- "The Christians won - 2017"
- "9 11 Deniers"
- "Elizabethian proposals"
You watch the Chapelle specials?

Cobpyth 04-08-17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1683950)
You watch the Chapelle specials?
I haven't. I only watch Louis C.K.'s comedy specials fanatically to be honest, because I'm a really huge fan of his.

seanc 04-08-17 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1684480)
I haven't. I only watch Louis C.K.'s comedy specials fanatically to be honest, because I'm a really huge fan of his.
I don't watch a whole lot either. Chapelle is on point culturally though. I think it would be up your alley.

Redwell 04-08-17 12:47 PM

His newest special, 2017, is definitely a lot better than Live at the Comedy Store.