Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47290)

MonnoM 11-21-16 04:40 PM

Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/le...rt-1201923648/

"Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights from the Frank Herbert estate for his iconic novel "Dune" granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the work.

The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and TV projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers."

SeeingisBelieving 11-21-16 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by MonnoM (Post 1609787)
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/le...rt-1201923648/

"Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights from the Frank Herbert estate for his iconic novel "Dune" granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the work.

The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and TV projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers."
That's exciting to hear but in a way it's quite a shame that you'd have to once again start with Dune and work from that, unless they started with the prequel books that is. It feels like always having to go back to square one and they only get so far with it. I believe the best way of doing Dune again would be to split it, Lord of the Rings style, into three films corresponding to the book's three sections.

Citizen Rules 11-21-16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1609820)
... I believe the best way of doing Dune again would be to split it, Lord of the Rings style, into three films corresponding to the book's three sections.
What would you call the three sections in Dune?

SeeingisBelieving 11-21-16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1609823)
What would you call the three sections in Dune?
Well it would be:

Dune
Muad'Dib
The Prophet

Citizen Rules 11-21-16 06:20 PM

Re: New Dune adaptation may be in the works

I see I thought you meant to split the novel Dune into three movies.

SeeingisBelieving 11-21-16 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1609831)
I see I thought you meant to split the novel Dune into three movies.
Yeah, I think that makes sense if it was going to be as a film. Then Dune Messiah would probably only be one as it's a lot shorter, and Children of Dune possibly two films.

Or, bring back Intermission :p.

Saunch 11-22-16 07:53 PM

Apparently Denis Villeneuve is interested in this. As he quickly became one of my favorites I fully endorse him as the director.

MonnoM 11-22-16 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1610113)
Apparently Denis Villeneuve is interested in this. As he quickly became one of my favorites I fully endorse him as the director.
Fingers crossed!

Guaporense 11-23-16 02:56 PM

Let's see if this turns out better than Lynch's Dune. I doubt it because Lynch's Dune is a classic though of so-bad-its-great.

Larry 11-28-16 07:22 AM

It's very deep and layered. I wouldn't mind it as a big budget mini series but I doubt that would bring in the $ they could make some epic action scenes and introduce a rich new universe. I haven't sen the movie. Read the first book last year, quite good.

SeeingisBelieving 11-28-16 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Larry (Post 1611693)
It's very deep and layered. I wouldn't mind it as a big budget mini series but I doubt that would bring in the $ they could make some epic action scenes and introduce a rich new universe. I haven't sen the movie. Read the first book last year, quite good.
If you haven't seen the miniseries I'd check it out. I thought the set design was fantastic, and probably on a par with Lynch's film really. It goes for a more Arabian look all round, not just on Arrakis.

TheUsualSuspect 11-28-16 08:00 AM

I'm not opposed to this idea. It needs an updated adaptation.

ScarletLion 02-01-17 11:09 AM

IT'S VILLENEUVE!!!!

I am aroused.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...ys-dune-remake

ShopkeeperTriumph 02-01-17 12:14 PM

This guy is going to eventually going to get too exhausted, he's been really busy. I still have not watched a single one of his movies.

Is the original Dune worth watching? I know the main consensus is no from most, but Lynch, right? There's gotta be something redeemable there.

Captain Steel 02-01-17 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShopkeeperTriumph (Post 1635693)
This guy is going to eventually going to get too exhausted, he's been really busy. I still have not watched a single one of his movies.

Is the original Dune worth watching? I know the main consensus is no from most, but Lynch, right? There's gotta be something redeemable there.
I watched Dune (from start to finish in one sitting) for the first time last year.
It's one of those films you've got to be in the mood for. You've got to be in a David Lynch mood to make it to the end.

resopamenic 02-01-17 12:42 PM

Wow that man is on fire

Citizen Rules 02-01-17 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ShopkeeperTriumph (Post 1635693)

Yes it's worth watching...but only the original theatrical release which is 137 minutes. Avoid the longer extended version which adds in some boring long scenes, while cutting out the more potent David Lynch scenes.

ShopkeeperTriumph 02-01-17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1635727)
Yes it's worth watching...but only the original theatrical release which is 137 minutes. Avoid the longer extended version which adds in some boring long scenes, while cutting out the more potent David Lynch scenes.
That's what I was worried about. I figured maybe since it was such a big franchise film Lynch might've lost a bit of creative control, since his name didn't nearly have the same pull it had before Blue Velvet, and Twin Peaks.

Citizen Rules 02-01-17 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by ShopkeeperTriumph (Post 1635750)
That's what I was worried about. I figured maybe since it was such a big franchise film Lynch might've lost a bit of creative control, since his name didn't nearly have the same pull it had before Blue Velvet, and Twin Peaks.
David Lynch said this in an interview:

David Lynch (13 January 2006) : "Dune I didn't have final cut on. It's the only film I've made where I didn't have it...

In those days the maximum length they figured I could have is two hours and seventeen minutes, and that's what the film is, so they wouldn't lose a screening a day, so once again it's money talking and not for the film at all and so it was like compacted and it hurt it...

There is no other version. There's more stuff, but even that is putrefied."
The more stuff he's talking about is the extended version.

Upon completion, the rough cut without post-production effects ran over four hours long. David Lynch's intended cut of the film was almost three hours long. However, Universal and the film's financiers expected a standard, two-hour cut of the film. To reduce the run time, Dino De Laurentiis, his daughter 'Raffaella De Laurentiis, and Lynch excised numerous scenes, filmed new scenes that simplified or concentrated plot elements, and added voice-over narrations, plus a new introduction by Virginia Madsen.

ShopkeeperTriumph 02-01-17 03:39 PM

That's too bad. I don't know why anyone would give Lynch the task of doing a studio picture after watching Eraserhead, though, were they really expecting he'd easily take all of their barking orders?

CosmicRunaway 02-01-17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ShopkeeperTriumph (Post 1635766)
I don't know why anyone would give Lynch the task of doing a studio picture after watching Eraserhead
I don't think that giving Lynch Dune after Eraserhead is any different than giving Jackson Lord of the Rings after Braindead, or Sam Raimi Spider-man after the Evil Dead trilogy though. It seems to be a trend haha.

Citizen Rules 02-01-17 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShopkeeperTriumph (Post 1635766)
That's too bad. I don't know why anyone would give Lynch the task of doing a studio picture after watching Eraserhead, though, were they really expecting he'd easily take all of their barking orders?
I read that Ridley Scott had been the director but left the project, so Lynch was brought in. I think if Lynch could have done his original plan of a three hour long movie it would have been great. Dune the novel has way too much stuff in it to try and squeeze it into a 2 hour movie.

SeeingisBelieving 02-01-17 04:08 PM

I think it's his visual style in things like Eraserhead and The Elephant Man. I think they saw something there that they connected to the dream, and purely visual, sequences that would be required in Dune and they were right on the money.

Swan 02-01-17 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 1635781)
I don't think that giving Lynch Dune after Eraserhead is any different than giving Jackson Lord of the Rings after Braindead, or Sam Raimi Spider-man after the Evil Dead trilogy though. It seems to be a trend haha.
That's because horror directors are the best kind of directors. :cool:

Little Devil 02-09-17 09:47 AM

New DUNE movie/series to happen. Your thoughts?

As described here:

http://www.duneinfo.com/new-dune-movie

Your thoughts?

Little Devil 02-09-17 10:19 AM

To this day, Lynch's version is my favorite. I couldn't care less for the TV series. The CGI was all sorts of crappy, the Guild portrayal was cringe worthy. Seriously, just look at this!!

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/dunese_09.jpg

The Baron on Lynch's version is way more menacing then the one on the Tv Series as well, as he should be.

Citizen Rules 02-09-17 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Little Devil (Post 1641332)
As described here:

http://www.duneinfo.com/new-dune-movie

Your thoughts?
Thanks for posting that! Interesting that there had been other Directors before Dennis Villenuve took over. I wonder how commented he is to the project?

Originally Posted by Little Devil (Post 1641368)
To this day, Lynch's version is my favorite. I couldn't care less for the TV series. The CGI was all sorts of crappy, the Guild portrayal was cringe worthy. Seriously, just look at this!!

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/dunese_09.jpg

The Baron on Lynch's version is way more menacing then the one on the Tv Series as well, as he should be.
Yea! Another unabashed fan of Lynch's Dune:) I love Lynch's Dune, I know it's story is abbreviated but he wasn't allowed to make a 4 hour movie. I though his sets, art direction, directorial style, casting, everything was well done.

Dani8 02-09-17 01:16 PM

Oh cool. I loved the book when I was a kid but not so much the movie ap art from the score. From memory the acting was dreadful.

Little Devil 02-09-17 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1641569)
Thanks for posting that! Interesting that there had been other Directors before Dennis Villenuve took over. I wonder how commented he is to the project?

Yea! Another unabashed fan of Lynch's Dune:) I love Lynch's Dune, I know it's story is abbreviated but he wasn't allowed to make a 4 hour movie. I though his sets, art direction, directorial style, casting, everything was well done.
I love you already!!!

So many people complaining that his version is nothing like the book. Well, I'm glad it isn't 100% faithful to it and he cut all unimportant stuff out [and included some delicious ones of his]. Great movie, great score, great acting.

Citizen Rules 02-09-17 01:52 PM

Little Devil you might want to check out my review of Dune. My review explains more in detail of why I think many don't like the movie, yet I do like it.

My Dune review

Saunch 07-16-18 06:22 PM

Everyone’s new fave, Timothée Chalamet, is in talks to play Paul Atreides.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/timothe...rt-1202427315/

ynwtf 07-16-18 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1641612)
Little Devil you might want to check out my review of Dune. My review explains more in detail of why I think many don't like the movie, yet I do like it.

My Dune review
Dune has been and may forever be in my top 10 favorite movies ever. I discovered it like in 5th grade maybe when a friend of mine ordered a movie poster featuring young Alia Atreides. I was already in love with sci-fi by then so this just rung a few bells in my heart. I rented it as soon as I could and was immediately taken in by its epic scale and internal monologues. I've always been an observer of sorts and would get lost in my own thoughts analyzing things around me so I found a weird sense of peace watching this movie in how often Paul narrated his thoughts. In a weird way, it was like I found home.

memory slips. Here is a better telling of the same story I forgot I posted here before!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...highlight=dune

As I typed that, I feel that I may have posted this somewhere else in these forums. Oh well.

Citizen Rules 07-16-18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 1924318)
....As I typed that, I feel that I may have posted this somewhere else in these forums. Oh well.
You have! but...it's a well written post and I enjoyed reading it again:)

Have you seen Dune (1984) many times? Have you seen both the theatrical cut and the extended (but also edited) version? If so do you have a preference?

doubledenim 07-16-18 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 1924318)

I remember in high school I had dad rent this because I just knew he would appreciate its depth. Halfway in my half sister passed out. Then the step sister. The the step mom left and went on to bed, leaving only my dad and I, together. I knew this movie would finally end our estranged relationship and bring us, finally, together with Dune as our binding element. When it ended, he turned to me and said, "That was the stupidest movie I've ever seen!" Then belted this "raaaaaah" in disbelief that he sat through it all.
That dad pain is real doe :goof: . I can't tell you how often I have tried to figure out the random stuff (like any of us watch) he watches and swear I've found something...

John Wick worked. That dog he says...

ynwtf 07-16-18 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1924321)
You have! but...it's a well written post and I enjoyed reading it again:)

Have you seen Dune (1984) many times? Have you seen both the theatrical cut and the extended (but also edited) version? If so do you have a preference?

I promise I did try to find it before posting!!

I have seen the theatrical many times. It used to play on HBO during summer days out of school and I was watch it every chance I could. It has been a few years now since I've seen it but I'm definitely tempted to pull it up again now.

I have a *cough* digital copy *cough* of some extended version. It looks like a rough draft with several introductory illustrated stills that cycle during narration. Place-holders, if you will, as if they intended to return and fill in the holes but never did. While that was very awkward, expecting a finished product, I did enjoy the additional information that it provided. As I remember it at least. Been a few years, as I noted.

Hell, now that I think about it that may have been last year when I first joined this place. I may have only just learned about an alternate version from these forums and found it from there. hmmmm.....

ynwtf 07-16-18 07:33 PM

FOUND IT!!!! lol ugh.

Saunch 07-16-18 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1924324)
That dad pain is real doe :goof: . I can't tell you how often I have tried to figure out the random stuff (like any of us watch) he watches and swear I've found something...

John Wick worked. That dog he says...
Why did I ever think Dead Man would work?

aronisred 07-17-18 08:57 PM

didn't Denis villeneue learn anything from blade runner 2049 bomb ?

Saunch 07-17-18 09:21 PM

To take the opportunity to make a challenging film he’s passionate about!

aronisred 07-18-18 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1924613)
To take the opportunity to make a challenging film he’s passionate about!
a bomb is a bomb is a bomb...it doesnt matter how good the movie is...the stink of bomb will last for atleast decade

ScarletLion 07-18-18 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 1924709)
a bomb is a bomb is a bomb...it doesnt matter how good the movie is...the stink of bomb will last for atleast decade
What odd logic. So the movie can be a 10/10 masterpiece but because the box office sales were disappointing, the Director will have learned nothing?

aronisred 07-18-18 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1924710)
What odd logic. So the movie can be a 10/10 masterpiece but because the box office sales were disappointing, the Director will have learned nothing?
its show business..not just show...so the director couldn't connect with lot of people otherwise it would have been a success...i felt it was way too slow

ScarletLion 07-18-18 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 1924714)
its show business..not just show...so the director couldn't connect with lot of people otherwise it would have been a success...i felt it was way too slow
So he learnt nothing through this process? Is that what you're saying?

aronisred 07-18-18 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 1924716)
So he learnt nothing through this process? Is that what you're saying?
a remake or reinvention of a cult movie is something that needs to be avoided. At least in a huge scale. I am okay if he makes this for a arrival size budget. But from the looks of it, he will need more money than that to realize this world. Then he will fall into the trappings of blade runner 2049..either make a commercial movie or make a high art prestigious ambitious movie. If he makes the latter then this movie will not make more than 150 million in which case its a bomb. If he makes a commercial movie then I don't see Denis directing it. They can give it to Michael bay

Saunch 09-05-18 10:28 PM

Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/r...ot-1202928647/

Larry 09-06-18 12:06 AM

Hope it turns out good, a big budget tv miniseries would be better imo.

SeeingisBelieving 09-06-18 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1946539)
That sounds like good casting to me.

Saunch 01-07-19 06:03 PM

Dave Bautista is Glossu Rabban.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/d...ot-1203101834/

Edit: might be Glossu. Probably is.

rambond 01-08-19 02:22 AM

better leave the classic of 1984 alone.

Saunch 01-08-19 11:27 AM

nah

SeeingisBelieving 01-08-19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1980049)
Dave Bautista is Glossu Rabban.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/d...ot-1203101834/

Edit: might be Glossu. Probably is.
Let's see how close the resemblance is to whoever they get to play Feyd :p.

Saunch 01-08-19 12:13 PM

Yeah, they’ll probably skew casting consistency under the pretext of “space so who cares.”

Making the Bar(r)on Trump is easy but also fun. :D

Sedai 01-08-19 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by rambond (Post 1980145)
better leave the classic of 1984 alone.
I'm a big fan of Lynch, but he asked to have his name removed from the film for a reason. While I think he totally nailed the tone, many other aspects of the film fell short.

Saunch 01-09-19 03:05 PM

Skarsgard the elder to play The Baron.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...s-dune-1174870

Might as well get Bill for Feyd.

SeeingisBelieving 01-10-19 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1980711)
Skarsgard the elder to play The Baron.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...s-dune-1174870

Might as well get Bill for Feyd.
Perhaps an unusual choice but I can see how they would be able to pad him out to achieve the right effect. I can't remember whether the Baron flies in the book to be honest or whether his mass is just held up by suspensors as he walks around. I did think it was a bit strange that when Ian McNiece played him they stuck quite closely to the image in Lynch's film, minus the hugely over-the-top skin diseases :p.

Saunch 01-10-19 11:41 AM

Just give him Gary Oldman’s fat suit.

And, yeah, he’s got a thing that makes him float.

SeeingisBelieving 01-10-19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1981116)
Just give him Gary Oldman’s fat suit.

And, yeah, he’s got a thing that makes him float.
Haven't we all ;D.

Saunch 01-29-19 02:53 PM

Oscar Isaac (<3) is Duke Leto.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/o...mpression=true

SeeingisBelieving 01-30-19 11:23 AM

Seems a bit young but yeah, he's definitely good casting. Charlotte Rampling will be good as Gaius Helen Mohiam too.

Saunch 01-30-19 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1986446)
Seems a bit young but yeah, he's definitely good casting.
I like that they went with someone who hasn’t entered the “mentor” stage of their career...
Spoiler Warning for People Who Haven’t Read the Book or Seen the Previous Film.
WARNING: spoilers below
Having Leto killed in what would, to new audiences, at least, appear to be his prime could add further poignancy, I think.

SeeingisBelieving 01-30-19 11:40 AM

True.

Saunch 02-01-19 04:03 PM

Javier Bardem is Stilgar, Zendaya is possible Chani.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...t-dune-1181942

SeeingisBelieving 02-01-19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1987026)
Javier Bardem is Stilgar, Zendaya is possible Chani.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...t-dune-1181942
It's attracting some good people, this. Not familiar with Zendaya but I'm hoping they pronounce the character's name 'Charni' as in the Lynch film and not "Chayni" as they did in the miniseries. I just think of Lon Chaney :rolleyes:.

Saunch 02-13-19 04:18 PM

Thanos is coming for the spice.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...mpression=true

SeeingisBelieving 04-14-19 02:32 PM

It occured to me when X-Men: Apocalypse was on this week that Oscar Isaac and Max von Sydow are – I think – the only actors who've been in both Dune and Star Wars. Of course Dune was a massive influence on Star Wars anyway, and I even remember the novelisation of The Empire Strikes Back reading like Frank Herbert at times.

MovieBuffering 07-11-19 02:30 AM

Not familiar with Dune. But just read up on it a bit. Seems like an interesting idea/source material. And I trust the director to do it justice. But this sounds like it would be a better tv series then movie. Has a lot of ideas and characters apparently. Feels like a GOTs type deal. Feels like Showtime could have used this to answer GOTs. oh well.

SeeingisBelieving 07-11-19 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2022938)
Not familiar with Dune. But just read up on it a bit. Seems like an interesting idea/source material. And I trust the director to do it justice. But this sounds like it would be a better tv series then movie. Has a lot of ideas and characters apparently. Feels like a GOTs type deal. Feels like Showtime could have used this to answer GOTs. oh well.
There've been two TV miniseries, which covered the first three books. Very good – amazing, jawdropping sets that I couldn't believe I was watching.

MovieBuffering 07-16-19 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 2022974)
There've been two TV miniseries, which covered the first three books. Very good – amazing, jawdropping sets that I couldn't believe I was watching.
Well again I am not familiar with the source material but a summary felt like GOTs type characters and story size. If that's the case Showtime dropped the ball. They should be looking for something sprawling, epic, rich story telling like GOTs.

But I have faith in Villeneuve. Specially after what he did with Blade Runner.

SeeingisBelieving 07-16-19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MovieBuffering (Post 2023898)
Well again I am not familiar with the source material but a summary felt like GOTs type characters and story size.If that's the case Showtime dropped the ball. They should be looking for something sprawling, epic, rich story telling like GOTs.

But I have faith in Villeneuve. Specially after what he did with Blade Runner.
I feel like Dune actually has less characters than Game of Thrones :).

SeeingisBelieving 08-15-19 01:02 PM

I was reading yesterday something about a character possibly being changed to a woman for this version. It makes absolutely no sense to do that so I was pretty irritated. I'm still wondering why quite pivotal roles like Feyd and the Emperor haven't had their actors announced yet.

Citizen Rules 08-15-19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 2030014)
I was reading yesterday something about a character possibly being changed to a woman for this version. It makes absolutely no sense to do that so I was pretty irritated. I'm still wondering why quite pivotal roles like Feyd and the Emperor haven't had their actors announced yet.
:mad: I hate that PC BS of changing male characters into female, especially when the film is based on a much beloved and famous novel. However I have no problem if they take existing female characters and pump up their on screen time. How about much more about story on Jessica and her connections to the Bene Gesserit. There's plenty of potential female characters in the Bene Gesserit order.

SeeingisBelieving 08-15-19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2030021)
:mad: I hate that PC BS of changing male characters into female, especially when the film is based on a much beloved and famous novel. However I have no problem if they take existing female characters and pump up their on screen time. How about much more about story on Jessica and her connections to the Bene Gesserit. There's plenty of potential female characters in the Bene Gesserit order.
They are actually doing another production linked to the film, obviously connected to these characters, Dune: The Sisterhood.

MoreOrLess 08-15-19 01:45 PM

Its Kynes isn't it? that doesn't seem to make much sense to me if..

They keep her as a kind of informal ruler of the Fremen unless they change their society from being male dominated politically with the women dominating the spiritual. Could be I spose they remove that aspect and make the character a bit more of a basic giver of exposition.

As said I wouldn't mind seeing more of Jessica action wise but...

Still have her keep her abilities a secret playing into the Bene Gesserit as a shadowy organisation. I mean that actually has a bit more substance to it if you want the film to have a feminist bent to it rather than just having a female asskicker character

rambond 04-13-20 11:16 PM

https://i.ibb.co/s2prKgS/Smart-Selec...2-Facebook.jpg
New striking image

rambond 04-15-20 07:33 AM

https://i.ibb.co/fDkCpcf/Smart-Selec...8-Facebook.jpg
how to create a url for an image
New pic reveals oscar isaac and others

Sedai 04-27-20 12:31 PM

I caught some of the news on the new film this weekend, so I fired up the 1984 version, which I hadn't seen in a few years. I have both the original theatrical cut, as well as the Alan Smithee extended cut. I started watching thew extended, but about an hour in, I decided I just don't like that version very much. A ton of ham-fisted exposition, and a crap edit make watching this version kind of annoying.

Since I have read the book and I understand all the world building and backstory, all that extra exposition is just unnecessary. The theatrical cut, while flawed, absolutely nails the tone, and I like most of the character play. Some of the effects, while rough even in 1984, look pretty bad today, I still like Lynch's flawed film for what it is.

Even with the PC stuff starting to trickle out, I trust Denis Villeneuve to do a faithful adaptation of the book to the best of his ability. That said, I maintain that Dune is perhaps one of the hardest science fiction books to adapt to screen, due to its narrative and structural complexities. As for the cat, I like what I see so far.

https://cdn3-www.comingsoon.net/asse...-solo-lede.jpg

Harvey Hall 08-28-20 05:31 PM

My most anticipated movie in ages. I’m still probably not going to risk the theater going, though.

https://i.imgur.com/8y6Tudc.jpg

The Rodent 09-08-20 10:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zce4Ju74TRQ

ynwtf 09-08-20 10:48 PM

A trailer for ...a trailer?
Wuuuuuut?

ynwtf 09-08-20 10:50 PM

I'd love to see the original on the big screen. I'd buy tickets for the next 10 folks in line just to join me.

The Rodent 09-09-20 12:33 PM

From what I can gather... it'll be landing in about 60-90 minutes.

Yoda 09-09-20 01:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4

Yoda 09-09-20 01:34 PM

Man the Tremors reboot looks intense.

The Rodent 09-09-20 01:39 PM

That.
Gave.
Me.
Shivers.

Holden Pike 09-09-20 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Yoda 09-09-20 01:57 PM

It's super cool, but man, are there gonna be jokes about how that looks.

It'll be the, uh, butt of many jokes.

aronisred 09-09-20 01:59 PM

This looks dull....gonna bomb like blade runner 2049

John McClane 09-09-20 02:00 PM

Josh Brolin? Yes please. :D

The Rodent 09-09-20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2123324)
This looks dull....gonna bomb like blade runner 2049
Mulholland Drive, Children Of Men, Donnie Darko, Sunshine, Dredd, The Shawshank Redemption and Fight Club all bombed as well, so... yeah.

Villeneuve hasn't made a bad movie yet either.

The Rodent 09-09-20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2123322)
It's super cool, but man, are there gonna be jokes about how that looks.

It'll be the, uh, butt of many jokes.
Eagerly awaiting space jokes involving Uranus etc.

The Rodent 09-09-20 02:09 PM

One thing I have to say, breaking MoFo's language rules... the cast is ****ing amazing.

aronisred 09-09-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 2123327)
Mulholland Drive, Children Of Men, Donnie Darko, Sunshine, Dredd, The Shawshank Redemption and Fight Club all bombed as well, so... yeah.

Villeneuve hasn't made a bad movie yet either.
There is something off in his directorial efforts, especially the big budget would be blockbusters that never end up being one like blade runner 2049....they need a flow and a pace that merits their budget and intended wide appeal and he is not able to deliver on those fronts...even godfather had a pace and flow that made it an instant classic...but blade runner 2049 was slow and dull. Not a bad movie doesn't mean it's a great movie...not a bad movie means director tried his best not to make a bad movie by covering all the bases that could it make it stale and unoriginal. It is different than having the golden touch to make a great memorable movie. All his movies except sicario lack kinetic propulsive forward momentum even sicario became run of the mill and generic by the end and that will kill a movie in blockbuster arena. Dune looks dull as well.

Yoda 09-09-20 02:14 PM

I'll summarize that for everyone else:

He's psychologically profiled Villeneuve and everything he does or doesn't do will be shoehorned into that profile somehow.

aronisred 09-09-20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 2123331)
One thing I have to say, breaking MoFo's language rules... the cast is ****ing amazing.
not to pick on every one of your points but doesn't the cast look second rate ? javier bardem ? oscar isaac ? rebecca ferguson(aka tom cruise movie generic eye candy woman) ? josh brolin ? these are all actors that tried their hands to be leading men and they failed and they settled for playing supporting roles....if it was mark wahlberg or matt damon..then i would look at the cast differently..but these are all actors that are not on the top of the list for being in a lead role. And also to have oscar isaac and josh brolin and javier bardem in the same movie is confusing because for general public they look almost the same as all three of them are not that famous.

The Rodent 09-09-20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2123332)
There is something off in his directorial efforts, especially the big budget would be blockbusters that never end up being one like blade runner 2049....they need a flow and a pace that merits their budget and intended wide appeal and he is not able to deliver on those fronts...even godfather had a pace and flow that made it an instant classic...but blade runner 2049 was slow and dull. Not a bad movie doesn't mean it's a great movie...not a bad movie means director tried his best not to make a bad movie by covering all the bases that could it make it stale and unoriginal. It is different than having the golden touch to make a great memorable movie. All his movies except sicario lack kinetic propulsive forward momentum even sicario became run of the mill and generic by the end and that will kill a movie in blockbuster arena. Dune looks dull as well.
To me Villeneuve is Blade-Runner-Era-Ridley.
Alien, BR, both slow burners... and took years to become recognised.
In time, the same will be said with Villeneuve.

I mean, did you want Prisoners to be a Taken clone?
Or Arrival to be another Independence Day?

BR2049 being slow is kinda the point.
Like with Ridley's Blade Runner, you have to watch it, and realise that not every sci-fi movie needs to be Star Wars Episode 2.

Yoda 09-09-20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2123335)
not to pick on every one of your points but doesn't the cast look second rate ?
Again, only if the only thing you look at is sheer fame.

It's fairly odd (and seemingly totally unexamined) that you place so much emphasis on this stuff, but it's downright bizarre that you just project this emphasis onto everyone else, as if it hasn't even occurred to you that anybody might feel differently.

Iroquois 09-09-20 02:31 PM

I just like the implication that casting Mark Wahlberg in this would automatically improve it.

Anyway, I'm still hype and that's a good trailer. Even the stereotypical trailer cover is good.

The Rodent 09-09-20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2123338)
I just like the implication that casting Mark Wahlberg in this would automatically improve it.

Anyway, I'm still hype and that's a good trailer. Even the stereotypical trailer cover is good.
Yep, definitely needs more Arnie... and CGI Banthas in the background.

Iroquois 09-09-20 02:35 PM

Forget it, Rodent. It's aronisred.

John McClane 09-09-20 03:36 PM

Why all the hate on BR2049 in here? :confused:

Also, where can I get some rocks?