Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Any NBA Basketball fans? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=40350)

matt72582 03-19-15 01:37 PM

Any NBA Basketball fans?

I'm looking forward to the playoffs, especially as some of the injured players come back. I wish my Pistons were there, but they have been awful lately.

I can't remember the last time Atlanta or GS had the best records in their conferences, and I think all the match-ups in the West will be exciting. I'm hoping the Heat (a team I didn't like) make it, because of Bosh going down, and to see how Dragic fits.

seanc 03-19-15 02:15 PM

Re: Any NBA Basketball fans?

I will be excited to watch Curry in the playoffs this year. Being close to Atlanta I will be paying close attention to the East as well. My knicks are horrendous so I don't have a dog in the fight but playoff time is always great. I never thought I would be the guy that doesn't watch the regular season but that is what I have become the last few seasons. Every game seems so uneventful in the regular season now. I miss the 90's.

rauldc14 03-20-15 11:12 AM

Not too much. Until my Bucks become relevant again, anyways.

That being said, the NCAA is much better and it's been a very exciting tournament. My bracket is obviously in shambles like every other year.

False Writer 03-20-15 11:35 AM

I was a really big NBA fan for awhile, but a couple years ago I kinda fell out of it for some reason. I still watch it casually though.

The Houston Rockets are my team, I'll definitely be paying attention to them in the playoffs (sucks what happened to them last year)

Harden for MVP!

matt72582 03-20-15 12:23 PM

The Bucks screwed up trading a guy like Brandon Knight. They improved so much from last year, even considering losing the #2 pick, and Larry Sanders.

I wonder how the Rockets are with Howard? If he comes in and does most of his work on the defensive end, rebounding, protecting the rim, setting good screens, scoring off alley-oops and missed shots, they should be in a good spot.

rauldc14 03-20-15 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1273785)
The Bucks screwed up trading a guy like Brandon Knight. They improved so much from last year, even considering losing the #2 pick, and Larry Sanders.

I wonder how the Rockets are with Howard? If he comes in and does most of his work on the defensive end, rebounding, protecting the rim, setting good screens, scoring off alley-oops and missed shots, they should be in a good spot.
I agree with Knight. I've never liked Michael Carter Williams. Knight would have been a solid player. Sad that they thought they couldn't afford him, but that's why they will never be relevant probably. You can pay a boatload to Sanders, but not to Knight:mad:

False Writer 03-20-15 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1273785)

I think with him being out for awhile and Harden dominating like he is, it's a given that they're gonna make Howard the defensive workhorse while Harden handles the other side of the court. Before his injury, they tried to have him be a bigger offensive presence but now he'll probably be almost strictly defensive.

matt72582 03-20-15 12:53 PM

MCW is a pass-first, but Brandon is a better shooter than MCW is as a passer.. And Knight was a hell of a defender when he was here with Detroit. How lucky you guys were not only to get rid of Jennings, but to get Knight AND Middleton who is turning out be a good player.

Sanders was a hell of a player, but he has issues. I only wonder who else they could have had, as Sanders could have been signed and traded. He might not ever play basketball again, I think he's more concerned with his personal well-being, as most guys would have taken the minimum to play for a contender.

The Pistons were a half game away from the 8th spot, until we traded for Reggie Jackson. I watched the trade deadline special, and everyone said how great it was for Detroit.. Wrong...

matt72582 03-20-15 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1273798)
I think with him being out for awhile and Harden dominating like he is, it's a given that they're gonna make Howard the defensive workhorse while Harden handles the other side of the court. Before his injury, they tried to have him be a bigger offensive presence but now he'll probably be almost strictly defensive.
How has Harden been on defense? I know in previous years he was one of the worst.. Houston has a good team all around, plenty of guys who do the non-statistical stuff.. The deflections, the hustle, defense, including several guys who score in double figures.

Patrick Beverly is hell for opposing teams. The guy is fearless, plays so hard, probably the best defender at the 1. We waive Smith, and he seems to be helping the Rockets out. I think Detroit is just a weigh station... The weather is one of the worst, high crime, bad economy, and the longest losing drought..

Anyone in favor of getting rid of the lottery odds? I'm tired of certain teams tanking. I also wouldn't mind going 1-16 regardless of the conference. They never play back to backs..

False Writer 03-20-15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1273801)
How has Harden been on defense? I know in previous years he was one of the worst.. Houston has a good team all around, plenty of guys who do the non-statistical stuff.. The deflections, the hustle, defense, including several guys who score in double figures.

Patrick Beverly is hell for opposing teams. The guy is fearless, plays so hard, probably the best defender at the 1. We waive Smith, and he seems to be helping the Rockets out. I think Detroit is just a weigh station... The weather is one of the worst, high crime, bad economy, and the longest losing drought..

Anyone in favor of getting rid of the lottery odds? I'm tired of certain teams tanking. I also wouldn't mind going 1-16 regardless of the conference. They never play back to backs..
He's improved but still not great, with Howard back leading the defense, I believe the Rockets have the potential to be a championship contender. And yeah Pat Beverly is awesome!

jiraffejustin 03-20-15 04:56 PM

Can somebody take the Thunder to a PokeCenter for me? Please. Preferably before the playoffs.

doubledenim 03-21-15 10:23 AM

I went to the season opener for the Hornets this year. Live games have so much juice, compared to any other viewing experience. I follow the NBA, but will rarely watch a full game outside of the playoffs.

matt72582 03-21-15 03:00 PM

Yeah, it's great watching a game live. You see and hear so much you don't on TV.

I think the Cavaliers are gonna win it... Any predictions?

seanc 03-21-15 03:28 PM

I'll say cavs in six over the rockets. I would love to see the warriors but that's a couple years off. Lebron is still the best player in the world.

matt72582 03-21-15 03:48 PM

Yeah, Lebron is still the best... I'd put Anthony Davis at #2.. I wasn't the biggest Westbrook fan because of his shot selection sometimes, trying to do it all himself, but he plays harder than anyone. I like toughness..

I'm really undecided on the West. GS has been really great on defense because of Bogut, he hasn't been injured. Klay Thompson is just as important as Curry. He's been shooting a higher percentage than Curry for one, and he doesn't get the double-screens Curry does. Steph has to be put on the worst offensive player, while Klay guards the best. Gotta give Steve Kerr a lot of credit. Mark Jackson is a hypocrite who told his team to either practice to go to his church while he's cheating on his wife. Kerr seems to have learned a lot from Phil just by his humor, and all the mentions about things outside of basketball.

The best defensive team always wins the title..

matt72582 03-21-15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1274185)
I'll say cavs in six over the rockets. I would love to see the warriors but that's a couple years off. Lebron is still the best player in the world.
Houston lost in the 1st round, I don't think they can make it to the Finals. It will take a few games for Dwight and the team to get acclimated. They have a good supporting cast, but if they double-team Harden, it would be like what opposing teams did to Chicago when they doubled Rose, it hurt the flow, and that great offense because stagnant.

seanc 03-21-15 04:13 PM

Who do you believe in in the west? SA again? I haven't watched Portland this year, but I didn't like them very much last year. I still think GS is too young.

seanc 03-21-15 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1274191)
The best defensive team always wins the title..
True but they usually have one great scorer and a nice compliment to him as well.

matt72582 03-21-15 04:47 PM

I think the champs are always a contender, and the Spurs constantly show them come up strong in the playoffs except when they went up against Memphis, a great team as well.

I agree with GS being too young. Besides that, playoff basketball is much slower, as GS plays with lots of possessions. Portland has a really good team as well. Wesley Matthew was the heart and soul of that team, but Aaron Afflalo is the closest to his kind of play.

I have a feeling Durant might not even play. He's in the last year of his contract and might just rather be extra careful.

seanc 03-21-15 04:53 PM

They pulled the plug on Durant yesterday I thought?

matt72582 03-21-15 05:06 PM

I read Sam Presti say that Durant isn't coming along as expected, and that he's out indefinitely. 2 weeks ago they estimated he'd be back in 2 weeks, so when the two weeks were up, I guess they're saying this to avoid any timetables, and to put a stop to reporters' asking questions.

Durant quit USA Basketball the minute Paul George got injured (who is coming back soon) and said it had nothing to do with that.. He even made a documentary in the wake of a 300 million dollar shoe deal by Under Armor, and went out of his way to explain and explain..

I think the Olympics should go back to non-professional players like it was before 1992.

seanc 03-21-15 05:17 PM

Yeah, the first dream team was fun but past that I don't know if I have ever watched a full minute of olympic basketball. Not fun.

matt72582 03-21-15 05:36 PM

I'm still upset that Isiah was left off that team.

Like you said, it wasn't fun watching them beat teams like Angola by 50 points, though I remember them losing in 2002 at the Worlds, and they lost when they had Larry Brown in 2004 I believe.

The NBA season is long enough, and both programs suffer as a result.

Swan 05-28-18 04:47 PM

Who's been watching?

cricket 05-28-18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1904517)
Who's been watching?
I watched every second of the Celtics this year, including preseason and summer league. But I'm an addict.

Swan 05-28-18 06:10 PM

I only just got into basketball so I'm pretty new, but am getting addicted as well.

cricket 05-28-18 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1904544)
I only just got into basketball so I'm pretty new, but am getting addicted as well.
I didn't watch for a few years until I started watching the C's again halfway through last year. What team do you like?

jiraffejustin 05-28-18 07:47 PM

I didn't realize how deep into the Cs you were cricket. Impressive. How much do you love Marcus Smart?

cricket 05-28-18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1904594)
I didn't realize how deep into the Cs you were cricket. Impressive. How much do you love Marcus Smart?
He's the heart and soul of the team. They must retain him and trade Terry Rozier.

jiraffejustin 05-28-18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1904620)
He's the heart and soul of the team. They must retain him and trade Terry Rozier.
He's a lot of fun to watch, so I'd be disappointed if they let him go. It's frustrating that the Celtics didn't have a healthy Kyrie (and Gordon too), because I really wanted them to make it to the Finals once the Sixers were out. Rockets vs Celtics would be straight up 1980's and I'd've been down with that.

rauldc14 05-28-18 09:43 PM

When did the Rockets ever make the finals in the 80s?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot, they did :facepalm:

rauldc14 05-28-18 09:44 PM

I wouldn't trade Rozier. Guys got a lot of talent, just had a really bad game yesterday.

chawhee 05-28-18 10:23 PM

Cavs-Warriors IV coming up! Hooray.....I guess

cricket 05-28-18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1904638)
I wouldn't trade Rozier. Guys got a lot of talent, just had a really bad game yesterday.
It's not that I want to, but they're going to have to especially if they keep Smart. You can't pay and play everyone, and his value will never be higher. Of course, they could possibly choose him over Smart.

rauldc14 05-28-18 11:07 PM

If it were up to me I'd get rid of Smart over Rozier.

jiraffejustin 05-28-18 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1904679)
It's not that I want to, but they're going to have to especially if they keep Smart. You can't pay and play everyone, and his value will never be higher. Of course, they could possibly choose him over Smart.
Yeah, but I think it'd be a huge mistake to choose Rozier over Smart if it comes down to that. Smart adds way too much diversity to get rid of, plus he has that mythological intangibles quality. Plus he just gets after it. He is hard-nosed. He can get under the opponent's skin. His offensive game isn't the greatest, but with Kyrie playing, you can cover that up. I think he is one of those guys that you just feel good about him being on your team, and you'd probably hate playing against him. If he does go somewhere else, you better hope you never have to play against him in a series. He's gonna be getting in that ass. If Gordon is back next year, that trio is nasty plus you have Al Horford. It'll be another great year.

cricket 05-29-18 12:01 AM

I also think Smart is the smarter player and probably more comfortable coming off the bench. Rozier believes he's a starter now, and he probably is. If the starting backcourt remains Irving and Brown, there's just not enough minutes for the four. I say keep the defensive stopper since there will be plenty of offensive options. Rozier is also very ball dominant for a motion offense.

Swan 05-29-18 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1904577)
I didn't watch for a few years until I started watching the C's again halfway through last year. What team do you like?
Kind of fell into Warriors fandom 'cause my closest friends are Warriors fans. That said, I have enjoyed the other teams too. Rockets were really good.

I think I most enjoy the respect they give each other after a game. It was cool seeing LeBron hug Tatum the other night. That kid seems to have a bright future ahead of him, yeah?

cricket 05-29-18 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1904737)
Kind of fell into Warriors fandom 'cause my closest friends are Warriors fans.
I don't like Durant but I do like their other players.

I think I most enjoy the respect they give each other after a game. It was cool seeing LeBron hug Tatum the other night. That kid seems to have a bright future ahead of him, yeah?
He's going to be a superstar and it's fun to root for players before their heads get too big. He just needs to mature and get stronger, and work on his left a little bit.

Kaplan 05-29-18 08:34 AM

I like Golden State and I hate the Cavs and Lebron, so no need to say who I'm rooting for. Now as for how the Cavs made it to the Finals, I'm extremely disappointed. I know the Celtics are going to be a beast of a team next year and that they exceeded expectations this year given the circumstances, but I still don't get what they were doing in the second quarter of that last game. They'd built a 12 point lead and the Cavs were ready to be put away. Then all of a sudden they start walking the ball up the court. Rozier would just be stepping over the half-court line when the shot clock was already done to 16 seconds. They totally let up on the Cavs, gave them a chance to regroup, and start chipping away at the lead. What were they thinking?! Attack, for god's sake! Keep the pace up. So instead of pushing the lead up toward 20 points, it was done to only 4 at halftime.

I know they missed a whole lot of shots, but that's also what happens when you let yourself get out of your rhythm and suddenly you're playing in desperation to try to hang onto a lead. It was very, very disappointing. They didn't do that crap in the first two games. Hence the reason they won them.

Oh, well. I needed to rant a little. The good news is they should be an incredible team next year, and they really missed having Irving at certain times that series.

matt72582 05-29-18 10:05 AM

Any chance Cavs can win?

Swan 05-29-18 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1904770)
I don't like Durant but I do like their other players.
Why don't you like Durant?

cricket 05-29-18 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kaplan (Post 1904777)
I like Golden State and I hate the Cavs and Lebron, so no need to say who I'm rooting for. Now as for how the Cavs made it to the Finals, I'm extremely disappointed. I know the Celtics are going to be a beast of a team next year and that they exceeded expectations this year given the circumstances, but I still don't get what they were doing in the second quarter of that last game. They'd built a 12 point lead and the Cavs were ready to be put away. Then all of a sudden they start walking the ball up the court. Rozier would just be stepping over the half-court line when the shot clock was already done to 16 seconds. They totally let up on the Cavs, gave them a chance to regroup, and start chipping away at the lead. What were they thinking?! Attack, for god's sake! Keep the pace up. So instead of pushing the lead up toward 20 points, it was done to only 4 at halftime.

I know they missed a whole lot of shots, but that's also what happens when you let yourself get out of your rhythm and suddenly you're playing in desperation to try to hang onto a lead. It was very, very disappointing. They didn't do that crap in the first two games. Hence the reason they won them.

Oh, well. I needed to rant a little. The good news is they should be an incredible team next year, and they really missed having Irving at certain times that series.
I was thinking the same thing. They wore the Cavs out in their wins and suddenly they went to a slow paced game. I don't get it.

cricket 05-29-18 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1904805)
Any chance Cavs can win?
I can't picture it. Only if GS has injury issues imo.

cricket 05-29-18 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1904807)
Why don't you like Durant?
It was a bad look just going to play for them for one thing. Besides that, I just don't like the way he carries himself and his aura. Same for king James. Both are great players obviously.

matt72582 05-29-18 12:20 PM

I liked GS until Durant went there after losing to them, a team that won 73 games..I loved when I first got into basketball, the era days (late 80s-) when the best wanted to BEAT the best, instead of joining them... The only thing I ask from basketball are no injuries. It's not just awful to the player, but to the game, families, fans, economies.. And I'm curious, I wanna see the best team win. I wonder if Houston would have won with Chris Paul, because I think he's the best point guard of this era (Jason Kidd being the last era) but has had the WORST luck in the playoffs.. "Getting Injured With Blake Griffin" could have been a series.

jiraffejustin 05-29-18 01:05 PM

Yeah, KD going to Golden State was the biggest bitch move in the history of the NBA. On the Bitchter Scale, it almost makes The Decision look like a non-registering offense. I mean, I guess his legacy or whatever. But that only works if we pretend like he didn't leave his pregnant 9 for a 10 on birth control.

rauldc14 05-31-18 11:58 AM

LeBron leaving Cleveland again will be even bigger on the Bitchter scale, especially joining Houston.

Swan 05-31-18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1904815)
It was a bad look just going to play for them for one thing. Besides that, I just don't like the way he carries himself and his aura. Same for king James. Both are great players obviously.
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1904900)
Yeah, KD going to Golden State was the biggest bitch move in the history of the NBA. On the Bitchter Scale, it almost makes The Decision look like a non-registering offense. I mean, I guess his legacy or whatever. But that only works if we pretend like he didn't leave his pregnant 9 for a 10 on birth control.
Definitely changes my perspective of the guy a bit. JJ it must hit harder for you because you're a Thunder fan. My friends all love him since he's with the Warriors. I'm a little more open than that. Maybe because I'm still learning, but I also just like the variety each team brings to the table. Each team is different in how they navigate, so it's fun watching all of them and figuring out how they work. This is old and obvious news to all of you I'm sure. But it's exciting for me. I definitely never gave the sport anywhere near enough credit. It's like a dance, and everyone dances a little differently but together it's a work of art.

Cricket - who's your team?

cricket 05-31-18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1905843)
Definitely changes my perspective of the guy a bit. JJ it must hit harder for you because you're a Thunder fan. My friends all love him since he's with the Warriors. I'm a little more open than that. Maybe because I'm still learning, but I also just like the variety each team brings to the table. Each team is different in how they navigate, so it's fun watching all of them and figuring out how they work. This is old and obvious news to all of you I'm sure. But it's exciting for me. I definitely never gave the sport anywhere near enough credit. It's like a dance, and everyone dances a little differently but together it's a work of art.

Cricket - who's your team?
I live in Boston so I'm with the Celtics. I grew up in Chicago so they were my team during the Jordan years.

JJ is a Thunder fan? He lost Durant and Harden. That hurts!

chawhee 05-31-18 06:28 PM

Expectation - Warriors in 5. Conspiracy theorist in me - Warriors in 7

matt72582 05-31-18 06:47 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised if Lebron left.. Next year will be his 16th season, and they don't even have anyone to build around. The Cavs are only in the Finals because Lebron elevates his teammates play.. I hope it's competitive (and wish the games wouldn't start so late).

cricket 05-31-18 07:05 PM

I don't know how it's possible, but I hope they both lose.

chawhee 06-01-18 01:29 AM

What a poor ending to Game 1....Great game up until the last minute of the 4th quarter where it just became a bunch of WTF moments

jiraffejustin 06-01-18 01:45 AM

LeBron on his Jerry West out here.

matt72582 06-01-18 10:00 AM

That was too crazy.. It would have been nice for the Cavs to win and make it competitive.. I bet they're deflated now.

jiraffejustin 06-01-18 11:30 AM

I really want the Cavs to get swept but LeBron wins the MVP because he averages 50 points.

donniedarko 06-01-18 12:33 PM

https://clutchpoints.com/wp-content/...2304204353.jpg

matt72582 06-01-18 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 1906194)

If he wasn't from Cleveland, I'd say there's a 100% chance to leave... If he does leave, I think the Lakers would be the team he'd go, or perhaps Philly. He can't put that much on his back on his 16th season and beyond.

cricket 06-02-18 12:04 PM

I actually felt bad for James at the end of that game.

Nostromo87 06-06-18 09:43 PM

Some favorite NBA players over the years by Nostromo

Shawn Kemp

http://image.ibb.co/cp0zq8/shawn_kemp.gif

6 Foot 10, 230 Lbs
Career Numbers:
15 Points 8.5 Rebounds 1.1 Steals 1.2 Blocks Per Game

Horace Grant

http://image.ibb.co/fFAM3T/grant.jpg

6 Foot 10, 215 Lbs
Career Numbers:
11 Points 8 Rebounds 1 Steal 1 Block Per Game

Julius "Dr. J" Erving

http://image.ibb.co/kkL4OT/dr_j.jpg

6 Foot 7, 210 Lbs
Career Numbers:
24 Points 8.5 Rebounds 4 Assists 2 Steals 1.7 Blocks Per Game

Marcus Camby

http://image.ibb.co/eVpW3T/Camby.jpg

6 Foot 11, 220 Lbs
9.5 Points 10 Rebounds 1 Steal 2.5 Blocks Per Game

Rasheed "Sheed" Wallace

http://image.ibb.co/b8p9q8/sheed.gif

6 Foot 10, 225 Lbs
14.5 Points 6.7 Rebounds 1 Steal 1.3 Blocks Per Game

Shaquille "Shaq" O'Neal

http://image.ibb.co/jb38iT/ezgif_1_87ba2f1fc7.gif

7 Foot 1, 325 Lbs
23.7 Points 11 Rebounds 2.3 Blocks Per Game

and of course...

Michael "Mike" Jordan

http://image.ibb.co/jfEaV8/mike.gif

6 Foot 6, 195 Lbs
30 Points 6.2 Rebounds 5.3 Assists 2.3 Steal 0.8 Blocks Per Game
Made it to SIX NBA Finals
Won All Six
6 To 0

Better than every basketball player, ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSjqG7p7lzk

cricket 06-08-18 08:52 PM

You got Horace in the wrong uniform!

Nostromo87 06-09-18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1909053)
You got Horace in the wrong uniform!

"The General"

http://image.ibb.co/ca1L08/708700cd0...425c94265d.jpg

Man! Great show tonight NBA..................

jiraffejustin 06-09-18 04:09 AM

Sarunas Marciulionis is an old-school dude that I like a lot, since we are talking old heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIUx2OHC9s

Swan 06-09-18 08:51 AM

The Warriors won to pretty much no one's surprise. I feel somewhat ashamed as a Warriors fan because I wasn't uber enthusiastic about much during the finals, knowing both teams have dominated the last few years. But of course, I'm happy they won - they're a great team. Funnily enough my mindset during the finals was "I want the Warriors to win, but I want LeBron to perform well". I know he's polarizing but I've come to really respect LeBron as a player and as a person (as well as I can).

I've been digging a bit into NBA history lately. Watching a lot of career highlights. I think my fave so far has been Pete Maravich. Unbelievable passing sorcerer. I also like Bob Cousy, who seemed to somewhat forshadow future playing style from what I can tell. Wilt Chamberlain is cool. I just love seeing the different styles of all these great players. A testament to the strength of mind, body and soul.

cricket 06-09-18 08:55 AM

I was just telling my wife last night that I gained some more respect for Lebron. It's impressive how much he takes on and how far he can take so little so far.

matt72582 06-09-18 10:36 AM

Maybe Lebron definitely leaves and we can have some more competition.

doubledenim 06-09-18 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1909150)
I was just telling my wife last night that I gained some more respect for Lebron. It's impressive how much he takes on and how far he can take so little so far.
Lebron is gonna go down as the biggest sports conundrum ever to me.

He will always be painted by his secondary actions (end of regulation JR game) vs. athletic accomplishment.

I will always love Jordan, but he woulda got torched worse than Lebron if he ran in the social media/ 24 hour sports world.

chawhee 06-09-18 11:04 AM

TV ratings didn't drop nearly as much as I expected they would have for this fourth time around. Only a couple million viewers lower than last year is what I'm reading. 20->18 mil

Swan 07-04-18 05:54 PM

LeBron joined Lakers, Warriors countered with DeMarcus Cousins. As a noob to the sport I have never seen him play, but apparently he's a very good center.

Any thoughts from others?

chawhee 07-05-18 01:22 AM

The Warriors are pretty much a dream team if Cousins stays in check. The other 31 teams could put together an all star team, and it would make for a competitive finals series. Since it doesn't work like that....chalk another Finals win up for the Warriors.

matt72582 07-05-18 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by chawhee (Post 1921101)
The Warriors are pretty much a dream team if Cousins stays in check. The other 31 teams could put together an all star team, and it would make for a competitive finals series. Since it doesn't work like that....chalk another Finals win up for the Warriors.

The draft, free agency, trade deadline have all been more interesting than the Finals - the actual game..

doubledenim 07-05-18 01:14 PM

I can't agree more. I have been trying to catch all the internet clips about free agency I can. Not so much with the Finals. Ryen Russillo does a good covering it on his pod.

matt72582 07-05-18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1921224)
I can't agree more. I have been trying to catch all the internet clips about free agency I can. Not so much with the Finals. Ryen Russillo does a good covering it on his pod.

Lakers are in a tough position. They could get him as a free agent next season, but I think they need to trade Lonzo, now that they have Lebron AND Rondo.... I could also see Kahwi looking at the Lakers with eyes that say "save me". By next year, he could change his mind, thinking certain teams didn't try that hard. But these are all sources, usually by teams trying to manipulate the process.

cricket 07-05-18 03:09 PM

Not impressed with the Cousins signing as I think it's an odd mix. Getting him for that cheap makes it a minimal risk, but this is a guy that wants the ball. He could disrupt their offense and their locker room, and he's average at best on defense. Besides that, he may never be the same player after his injury.

doubledenim 07-05-18 03:51 PM

All signs point to Ball being out, they say no way LeBron came thinking he was gonna have to deal with Lavar's peacocking. I have a sinking feeling we are gonna get him in some trade for Kemba.

cricket 07-05-18 06:25 PM

Rondo sure isn't their point guard of the future.

matt72582 07-05-18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1921237)
Not impressed with the Cousins signing as I think it's an odd mix. Getting him for that cheap makes it a minimal risk, but this is a guy that wants the ball. He could disrupt their offense and their locker room, and he's average at best on defense. Besides that, he may never be the same player after his injury.

He led the league in assists for centers, which fits perfect in that system. He average 25-10-5, and usually when a guy with personal issues tries to be "good" upon entering a team. Also, all his teammates say he's not only a great teammate, but a great guy who does a lot for the community sans hype... Another reason I think it might work is that he's coming in possible in January, and won't do things to ruin the flow. And if he is, they can play him less.. I wonder why the Lakers didn't sign him.

I think on defense, it's a downgrade from McGee to Cousins.. He wasn't fast laterally on defense before, and with this injury, who knows, but they're paying him less than many scrubs..

jiraffejustin 07-05-18 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1920946)
LeBron joined Lakers, Warriors countered with DeMarcus Cousins. As a noob to the sport I have never seen him play, but apparently he's a very good center.

Any thoughts from others?
I'd be honestly shocked if the Warriors lose a game in the playoffs. If they do lose a game in the playoffs, I'm willing to bet anything they are already up 3-0 and they drop a lazy one. If Boogie was healthy and they made this signing, I'd be willing to bet they'd beat their record for best single season record. I think it's hilarious to analyze this move, because they just have so much star power on one team that doesn't even seem like real life. They added another legitimate all-star. I can't believe that this is being allowed to happen. It's pushing me further and further away from the league.

Siddon 07-05-18 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1921259)
Rondo sure isn't their point guard of the future.
Rondo was basically brought in to be Lonzo's rabbi.

Lebron is definately clearing the team for Kwaii, developing the young players, clearing the field for Kwaii and winning an MVP this season.

C - Ivica Zubac (Javale McGee)
SF - Lebron James
PF - Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram
SG - Josh Hart (Lance Stephensen) <Kwaii Leonard>
PG - Lonzo Ball (Rajan Rondo)

cricket 07-05-18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1921277)
He led the league in assists for centers, which fits perfect in that system. He average 25-10-5, and usually when a guy with personal issues tries to be "good" upon entering a team. Also, all his teammates say he's not only a great teammate, but a great guy who does a lot for the community sans hype... Another reason I think it might work is that he's coming in possible in January, and won't do things to ruin the flow. And if he is, they can play him less.. I wonder why the Lakers didn't sign him.

I think on defense, it's a downgrade from McGee to Cousins.. He wasn't fast laterally on defense before, and with this injury, who knows, but they're paying him less than many scrubs..
I don't know man. He's always put up numbers but has never won. Reports say Anthony Davis didn't want him back and they got better once he went down.

cricket 07-05-18 10:41 PM

Another thing about Boogie, he's a turnover machine.

cricket 07-05-18 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1921282)
Rondo was basically brought in to be Lonzo's rabbi.

Lebron is definately clearing the team for Kwaii, developing the young players, clearing the field for Kwaii and winning an MVP this season.

C - Ivica Zubac (Javale McGee)
SF - Lebron James
PF - Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram
SG - Josh Hart (Lance Stephensen) <Kwaii Leonard>
PG - Lonzo Ball (Rajan Rondo)
That doesn't look like a contender to me even with Kawhi. I would trade Kuzma in a heartbeat as I don't see him improving much.

Rondo has always had issues and he's not coming there to take a backseat to Ball in any way.

Siddon 07-05-18 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1921289)
That doesn't look like a contender to me even with Kawhi. I would trade Kuzma in a heartbeat as I don't see him improving much.

Rondo has always had issues and he's not coming there to take a backseat to Ball in any way.

I'd trade him for Kwaii or an established All-Star but I expect him and Ingram to both have monster seasons.

cricket 07-05-18 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 1921292)
I'd trade him for Kwaii or an established All-Star but I expect him and Ingram to both have monster seasons.
I like Ingram but he still looks a couple of years away to me. I wouldn't expect much from Kuzma; I see him as a career decent backup.

doubledenim 07-06-18 03:46 AM

The Lakers reportedly like Kuzma better than any of their young guys. He is apparently a gym rat and really gets after all aspects of his training. Engram's blood doesn't seem to be hot enough and he doesn't have as much fight in him, regardless of the talent.

The Boogie thing is interesting, because everybody passed on him...Achillies are hard to deal with, but I don't see the point of signing a guy that won't be in game shape till the playoffs and will have a need to be in the starting lineup. It says a lot that the Pelicans didn't want to keep him. Before the injury he is a max-level guy and he signed for the exemption with gsw.

I'm not a fan of the way the NBA salary cap works. It doesn't seem to help the small market teams out like in football. If guys don't want to come, you end up overpaying *Al Jefferson* , because you have to spend that money. Maybe it works for football because they have to sign so many guys and can't hide 5-6 league minimum players on the bench.

Good or bad, the Lakers and Warriors are great for the League whether I like it or not. The NBA is such a "product as a whole" that its great for business. Here's to that LA v. GS christmas day game.

cricket 07-06-18 08:39 AM

I just wouldn't get too excited if I were a Laker's fan with that odd mix of players. As great as James is, he's getting up there and will be on the downside of his career before their young guys enter their prime. I think it would have been better if they had another losing season, got into the lottery, and then next year sign 2 younger max contract guys. They also lost their most consistent and productive player from last season in Julius Randle. The jury may still be out on him as well, but he's at the age when guys start to really figure it out. Kuzma is fine, but I think he's much closer to his ceiling than the typical player who's about to enter his second season. As far as Kawhi, I wouldn't put a ton of faith into a guy who quit on his team.

matt72582 07-06-18 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1921353)
Kuzma is fine, but I think he's much closer to his ceiling than the typical player who's about to enter his second season.
Do you think this because he had a surprising season, especially being one of the last picks in the 1st round? Sometimes when a rookie comes in already very good (Tatum), some think "How much better can they be?" but I would hang on to Kuzma.. Trading Lonzo/Lavar makes sense, but they could wait til this off-season, when there will be MANY free great agents. Also, before making a huge commitment for a guy with one year left on his contract could come bit them later (Dwight Howard, etc).. He only played 8-9 games last year, and they might want to see him play a bit before taking such a gamble. I also think starting the season without him would show what fits, what doesn't, and other needs, which might mean keeping one of their younger players over another.. I liked Julius Randle, but he didn't like coming off the bench, or not getting enough time.

cricket 07-06-18 09:21 AM

Kuzma went to 3 years of college and was older than most rookies, thus making him more NBA ready. I think that also means he has less room to grow than the average 20 year old. I would also be a little wary about anyone that has a good season for a bad team because someone is going to put up numbers. I think he'll be a fine player but not a star.

matt72582 07-06-18 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1921362)
Kuzma went to 3 years of college and was older than most rookies, thus making him more NBA ready. I think that also means he has less room to grow than the average 20 year old. I would also be a little wary about anyone that has a good season for a bad team because someone is going to put up numbers. I think he'll be a fine player but not a star.
If he put the numbers he did last year for the rest of his career, he's still a steal at the end of the 1st round... It seems like half of the lottery picks are busts.

cricket 07-06-18 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1921383)
If he put the numbers he did last year for the rest of his career, he's still a steal at the end of the 1st round... It seems like half of the lottery picks are busts.
No question and he was most definitely a steal with where he was picked. I just think people are going overboard on him.

matt72582 10-04-18 06:20 PM

Any surprises from the pre-season? I think Jimmy Butler is a great player, I love his game, but he's been a prima dona... I hope this isn't the direction (pre-agency)..

cricket 10-04-18 06:28 PM

I don't put much stock into the preseason, except for maybe seeing if some rookies are ready to play in the league. I am very excited for the Celtics. They are very talented, deep, and fun to watch. I believe they can challenge the Warriors.

https://i.imgur.com/0zDKk4d.gif?noredirect

matt72582 10-23-19 09:12 AM

It's too bad Zion will be out for a few months...

doubledenim 10-23-19 09:28 AM

I was gonna backtrack on not going to a Hornets game this year, because of how bad the team is being ran.

The exception was gonna be to see the Pelicans in November. Glad I thought better of it. That team still looks solid, but not the circus event that Zion makes it.

rauldc14 10-23-19 10:32 AM

Raptors may potentially miss the playoffs. I dont think they will, but it's a possibility.

Glad to see Clippers beat Lakers too. LeBron is done with his annual finals appearances. Now if we could just have that happen to Brady in the NFL....

matt72582 10-23-19 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2043394)
Raptors may potentially miss the playoffs. I dont think they will, but it's a possibility.

Glad to see Clippers beat Lakers too. LeBron is done with his annual finals appearances. Now if we could just have that happen to Brady in the NFL....

and they did it without Paul George... To me, Kahwi is the 2nd best player in the game, but I've always loved Patrick Beverly. He's a great defender, full of energy, fearless.

rauldc14 10-23-19 12:03 PM

Leonard is damn good. I'm not sure what the Spurs were smoking with that fall out.

Other than George, there isn't a lot of top talent surrounding him, but he's going to deliver.

matt72582 10-23-19 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2043421)
Leonard is damn good. I'm not sure what the Spurs were smoking with that fall out.

Other than George, there isn't a lot of top talent surrounding him, but he's going to deliver.
They have a very cohesive unit. Well balanced, very good team defense, all-around. I think they could win the title this year. The Lakers could win it, too.

doubledenim 10-23-19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2043394)
It's still the East. Barring injury, Siakam, Van Vleet and Lowery almost guarantee the 3 seed.

I'm personally looking forward to how the Kyrie effect alters the Nets. They were on the rise, just like that C's team...