Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are these female lead remakes are getting out of hand now? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=57689)

ironpony 06-24-19 02:21 AM

Re: Are these female lead remakes are getting out of hand now?

But I don't think Ghostbusters should make any comment on gender issues though, as it's not that kind of movie.

Tequila 06-24-19 10:30 AM

I recently saw on John Woos Instagram that he is remaking my all-time favourite film The Killer. And yes he is going down the PC route of having a black female in the role previously portrayed by Chow Yun-Fat.
I will probably watch this out of curiousty alone with it being a John Woo film (as i did with the remakes of Once a Thief and A Better Tomorrow), but i am not a fan of remakes in general, let alone remakes that pander to the snowflake/PC brigade.
I have no problem with women of any ethnicity in lead roles but i think the films should be original instead of retreading old ground.
I want to see action films like Proud Mary and Atomic Blonde, not remakes of The Killer and Shoot 'em up.

Ultraviolence 06-24-19 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tequila (Post 2020057)
I recently saw on John Woos Instagram that he is remaking my all-time favourite film The Killer. And yes he is going down the PC route of having a black female in the role previously portrayed by Chow Yun-Fat.
I will probably watch this out of curiousty alone with it being a John Woo film (as i did with the remakes of Once a Thief and A Better Tomorrow), but i am not a fan of remakes in general, let alone remakes that pander to the snowflake/PC brigade.
I have no problem with women of any ethnicity in lead roles but i think the films should be original instead of retreading old ground.
I want to see action films like Proud Mary and Atomic Blonde, not remakes of The Killer and Shoot 'em up.
I'm so afraid of this film. I think it will suck. I'm a big John Woo fan, but boy, I don't think that film needs a remake, not even if the one directing is the man himself. And a woman in the lead role... Damn, it makes me fear more 'cause of the stunts. Just wish he makes a new one with Chow after this remake.

ironpony 06-24-19 10:06 PM

Atomic Blonde is an interesting one, cause it has a female action hero, but the way the character is sexually portrayed, especially with the lesbian sex scene, which I felt was done out of male titillation so it's still a guy movie at the end of the day, so it wasn't really aimed for a female audience I don't think, even though it had a female action hero.

As for female lead remake of The Killer, maybe...

SPOILER FROM ORIGINAL THE KILLER

So the person that the killer blinds them will be male love interest then, who she is trying to get money to repair his eyesight with? That might be interesting.

ironpony 08-06-19 12:26 AM

Actually with the talk on this thread about female lead character movies, I just saw the trailer for Black and Blue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCfSeVCr7ng

And it looks like a female lead action movie, where the main character being female, plays naturally in the story, doesn't feel forced, like the filmmakers are trying to push an agenda. At least from the trailers it looks that way!

buttercorn 08-06-19 02:29 AM

I hope you're right about Black and Blue since I feel like The Kitchen is kinda forced.

ironpony 08-06-19 09:59 AM

What's The Kitchen?

Ami-Scythe 08-06-19 10:12 AM

Someone might've said it already, I don't know. TagoMago kinda hit the nail on the head a bit but Hollywood is just following what they think people want to see and right now the hot topic is diversity. Somewhere around when PC culture started to get popular, all the talk about female this and black people that on social media made executives believe that PC culture has to be featured in film. So now we have female terminator and black Ariel.

Iroquois 08-06-19 11:58 AM

Uh, we've had female Terminators since 2003 - besides, I question how much you can really accuse the franchise that gave us Sarah Connor of only recently starting to "pander to PC culture" or whatever.

As far as remakes go, the idea of Woo remaking The Killer with Lupita Nyong'o is too intriguing to write off completely.

Ami-Scythe 08-06-19 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2028216)
Uh, we've had female Terminators since 2003 - besides, I question how much you can really accuse the franchise that gave us Sarah Connor of only recently starting to "pander to PC culture" or whatever.

As far as remakes go, the idea of Woo remaking The Killer with Lupita Nyong'o is too intriguing to write off completely.
I actually didn't realize there was a female robot already, but I was really just referring to the reason why male characters are being randomly switched to female.

Iroquois 08-07-19 11:04 AM

I mean, the whole idea of the Terminator is that it's a killer robot designed to look human so of course they'd have to use a variety of "random" appearances to make them effectively infiltrate human society - otherwise, they would all just look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and that would be all kinds of impractical.

ironpony 01-25-21 11:36 PM

You know what I would love to see an all female remake of just for the heck of it, is Fight Club.

Corax 01-26-21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2028410)
I mean, the whole idea of the Terminator is that it's a killer robot designed to look human so of course they'd have to use a variety of "random" appearances to make them effectively infiltrate human society - otherwise, they would all just look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and that would be all kinds of impractical.
The T-800, within its world, was a practical solution to a problem.

There is a homuncular aspect to the early models; it is a kind of person in a person--a robot person with a bacon-wrap of human flesh, an outer person hiding the inner person. It's a clever idea. Instead of a person hidden inside a machine (like the chess playing "Turk"), we have a machine hidden inside a person.

The problem is that this takes up a lot space. Just as Jame Gumb needed "big girls" to make his "woman suit" in Silence of the Lambs, the machine under the skin of the T-800 is quite large. It has large mechanical joints and pulleys and so on, so the T-800 needs the skin of a "big person" to cover it. Thus, it makes sense, as a practical solution to a problem (i.e. infiltration) as to why it would look like a large man (it had to). They were "big boned," so don't judge!

The T-800s were not designed to get job at Tyrell Corporation or dance with snakes at seedy bars. They just needed to pass for human long enough to gain entry into a human compound and then mow everyone down. It's not so much that they needed to deeply infiltrate society, but rather that they needed to get past watchmen who were on the lookout for the rubber-skinned robots they were using before the T-800s.

As for the later models which are increasingly implausible and deployed in increasingly convoluted time-travel schemes and which were intended to blend into 'Ye Olde' Days, yes it makes sense that they started swapping looks to be random.

Wooley 01-26-21 12:29 AM

The thread necromancy on this forum cracks me up.

Corax 01-26-21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2171050)
The thread necromancy on this forum cracks me up.
Don't kill the thread by noting that we're past the "sell by" date.

Just roll with it.

Wooley 01-26-21 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Corax (Post 2171058)
Don't kill the thread by noting that we're past the "sell by" date.

Just roll with it.
No, I just meant that since I've been on here, which is not long, I've seen multiple threads from the past just suddenly resurrected without any seeming rhyme or reason. Which is kind of a new one on me. I will roll with it.