Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Should I blind buy Dexter, season 1? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=22101)

Yoda 03-05-10 02:46 PM

Should I blind buy Dexter, season 1?

Title says it all, I suppose. Lost is nearing its end, and while I have some other very cool series' to get into (like The Wire), from the looks of things Dexter might be a little less ponderous and more entertaining. Because I didn't have any strong initial desire to see it, I already know a handful of important things about season 4, but the show's been around awhile and I've heard good things about it from the kinds of places that are usually great bellwethers for the things I end up liking.

So, what say you, MoFos? Any fans/detractors? Even if it's worth watching, is my suspicion about its tone and watchability way off?

honeykid 03-05-10 06:53 PM

For what it's worth coming from me, I'd recommend it. I had a problem with the basic premise, but I went with it as it was interesting enough. I thought season 2 was a great leap forward and season 3 even more so. They've yet to show seaon 4 over here. I don't like to know what's going to happen in Dexter, so I stay away from news about it. However, I have heard news about another US show that must affect seaon 4 of Dexter, leading me to come to a conclusion about how season 4 ends. I'm really curious to see if I'm right and what's going to happen.

So, yes, I'd say go for it. It's not The Wire or Mad Men, but it's good, it's entertaining and gets better and better as it goes along. At least, upto season 3 I've found that to be the case.

christine 03-05-10 07:48 PM

Re: Should I blind buy Dexter, season 1?

yes, Dexter is wel worth it, but Yoda you need to see The Wire!

Swan 03-05-10 08:47 PM

Dexter is one of my favorite shows, Yoda. So I recommend it. :)

Powdered Water 03-05-10 08:57 PM

Dexter is pretty good. Dead Like Me is better though. I think Dead Like Me may be right up your alley from what I know about your sense of humor. There's certainly nothing wrong with Dexter though. Both shows are very watchable.

Yoda 03-05-10 11:06 PM

Thanks, everyone.

Re: Dead Like Me. I actually bought the first season awhile back and watched a handful of episodes, but stopped. I liked it okay, but it felt a little rough. The premise is up my alley, given that I love Fuller's other two series' (Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies), but something about this one just sort of lurched forward. Anyway, it might have just needed some time to get going (Pushing Daisies did, after all), so I'll definitely finish it at some point.

Anyway, I realize nobody was going to reply to tell me specifically not to get Dexter, but the response above is still positive enough to do the trick. I'll probably order it this week; thanks! :)

will.15 03-05-10 11:17 PM

I've never seen Dexter, but my understanding is it's about a serial killer who satisfies his bloodlust by only killing murderers who have eluded the law. In other words, he is a serial killer unlike any other, sort of a good guy serial killer. Isn't that a cop-out?

Yoda 03-05-10 11:23 PM

Sounds more clever to me than it sounds like a cop-out.

honeykid 03-05-10 11:52 PM

I don't know whether or not it's a cop-out, but it is, firstly, the gimmick that the show (and probably the books) rest upon and, secondly, it's the big problem I had with the show when it began and also why I liked the direction it took in seasons 2 and, more so, 3.

n3wt 03-06-10 08:36 AM

Yoda mate I highly recommend buying Dexter season one and two I bought them blind back in November and I was instantly a fan. Were waiting for Season 3 to come out on dvd over here.

MovieEagle 03-09-10 04:24 AM

Yes, I absolutely recommend blind buying it. I've netflixed the first 3 seasons and I'll definitely buy season 1, and possibly 2.

Yoda 03-09-10 10:25 AM

Well, it's on it's way. :) Thanks everyone. Might not start it for a few weeks, if not longer, but I'll definitely be giving it a go.

n3wt 03-09-10 12:28 PM

Awesome mate im thinking of restarting the first and second season again as season 3 still doesnt have a UK release :(

honeykid 03-09-10 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by MovieEagle (Post 606913)
Yes, I absolutely recommend blind buying it. I've netflixed the first 3 seasons and I'll definitely buy season 1, and possibly 2.
Is that because you've yet to see season 3 or because you're one of those who didn't like/enjoy that season very much?

Yoda 03-28-10 11:32 PM

By the by, I'm a little over halfway through season 1 and I'm pretty surprised at how intrigued I am. I find the character himself fairly interesting, but the mystery of the Ice Truck Killer far moreso, which is the exact opposite of what I would have expected.

So far, so good. :) But I can already tell they'll need to take the title character in some new and interesting directions if this is going to stay fresh for long.

Swan 03-28-10 11:47 PM

I'm glad you are enjoying it and I hope you will continue watching through the seasons, Yoda. Season 4 is pretty freaking outstanding.

honeykid 03-28-10 11:55 PM

Glad, but not surprised, to read that you're enjoying it, Yoda. :)

I agree with your assessment of it so far, as I was the same. :D

Maxine Taurus 04-01-10 09:52 PM

I have the collection of Dexter from Season 1 up to Season 4 and I must say, it gets better and better as each episode progresses. I personally love the way the weave the twists in each episode. I'd say go for it! :)

The Prestige 04-12-10 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 610823)
By the by, I'm a little over halfway through season 1 and I'm pretty surprised at how intrigued I am. I find the character himself fairly interesting, but the mystery of the Ice Truck Killer far moreso, which is the exact opposite of what I would have expected.

So far, so good. :) But I can already tell they'll need to take the title character in some new and interesting directions if this is going to stay fresh for long.

Yeah man, it's a solid start to the show. I think that the Dexter character is a very much a representation of our subconcious desires, which is what makes him interesting. Not saying that we'd all want to kill somebody, but I feel confident in saying that we all have had disturbing thoughts at some point in our lives.

Not sure how far into the season you are by now, Yoda so don't want to say anything else incase it spoils stuff for you.

bigscreenbytes 05-18-10 02:09 PM

Dexter is a great series, good ensemble cast and Michael C. Hall is fantastic in the title role. I'd have to recommend The Wire as well, more of an investment as was mentioned before. Watch 'em both, well worth it.