Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oscar's Best Actor 2020 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60689)

Holden Pike 01-13-20 02:20 PM

Oscar's Best Actor 2020

1 Attachment(s)
The nominees for Best Actor are...

Antonio Banderas, Pain & Glory
Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

mojofilter 01-13-20 02:21 PM

Re: Oscar's Best Actor 2020

Joaquin. No contest!

Wyldesyde19 01-13-20 02:37 PM

The easy bet here would be Phoenix, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Driver win in an upset. Kind of like how Rami Malek and Eddie Redmayne have won when most didn’t give them a chance to.

mojofilter 01-13-20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2058231)
The easy bet here would be Phoenix, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Driver win in an upset. Kind of like how Rami Malek and Eddie Redmayne have won when most didn’t give them a chance to.
Driver hasn't won any awards so far. At least not the major ones. Golden Globe, Critics Choice both went to Joaquin. That is the clear indication that Joaquin has it in the bag. Driver is no contest.

Wyldesyde19 01-13-20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mojofilter (Post 2058234)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2058231)
Driver hasn't won any awards so far. At least not the major ones. Golden Globe, Critics Choice both went to Joaquin. That is the clear indication that Joaquin has it in the bag. Driver is no contest.
Hence why I called it an upset.

Taz 01-13-20 02:57 PM

Although Joker has been nominated for a whole clutch of awards, some mysteriously so, there is no question that Phoenix central performance is deserving for all the praise he has recieved and if there is one catagory that is fully deserving and that is as good as a lock for the win, it would be Phoenix for best actor.

ahwell 01-13-20 03:27 PM

I want Driver but I know it’ll be Phoenix.

Gideon58 01-13-20 03:36 PM

This one's a no-brainer...Phoenix all the way...it's not only the best performance, it's his turn.

Miss Vicky 01-13-20 03:51 PM

I'm going to be pissed off if Phoenix doesn't get it.

chawhee 01-13-20 11:04 PM

As much as I would love to see DiCaprio get it, Phoenix probably deserves it most

Citizen Rules 01-13-20 11:12 PM

I have feeling Phoenix will win, I haven't seen Joker...but for his overall volume of work he does indeed deserve an Oscar.

hell_storm2004 01-14-20 03:40 AM

Phoenix, no contest!

seanc 01-14-20 10:35 AM

Haven't seen Popes or Pain & Glory. My vote is Driver, but of the three I have seen, none would disappoint.

Sarge 01-14-20 02:09 PM

Foregone conclusion surely?

John-Connor 01-15-20 05:09 AM

Did DeNiro say/do something wrong that the Academy snubbed him in this category?

+

What Miss Vicky said..

Yoda 01-15-20 08:59 AM

Saw Joker last night. Phoenix was pretty great, no doubt.

Also, just realized Adam Driver being nominated for an Oscar means he's going to have to sit down during the ceremony while they play a clip of him performing. Reminder that he can't stand that and walked out of an NPR interview over it. Seems to be genuine embarrassment and self-consciousness rather than simple diva behavior, but I wonder what the plan is for the big night?

TheUsualSuspect 01-15-20 09:08 AM

Looks like Joker will join Vito Corleone.

mojofilter 01-15-20 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2058610)
Did DeNiro say/do something wrong that the Academy snubbed him in this category?

+

What Miss Vicky said..
Aside from his Trump blasting speeches and interviews, there's nothing much Deniro really says. I doubt the Academy did not nominate him for that reason though as they too hate Trump's guts. I personally didn't think he was Oscar worthy in Irishman. Pacino and Pesci for sure.

Holden Pike 01-15-20 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2058632)
Looks like Joker will join Vito Corleone.
Yup.

The same character has been nominated for multiple Oscars a decent number of times over the years with the historical monarchs Queen Elizabeth I and King Henry VIII getting three nominations a piece: Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age and Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love, Charles Laughton in The Private Life of Henry VIII, Robert Shaw in A Man for All Seasons, and Richard Burton in Anne of the Thousand Days. Dench won Supporting Actress and Laughton won Best Actor.

Performances of several other historical figures have gotten nominated twice including Abe Lincoln, Howard Hughes, Dick Nixon, Vincent Van Gogh, and King Henrys II and V. And fictional characters have been doubled up including Cyrano de Bergerac, Mr. Chips, Professor Henry Higgins, Rooster Cogburn, Joe Pendleton, and Max Corkle being played by different actors as well as the same actor being nominated twice for the same character in sequels such as Michael Corleone, Fast Eddie Felson, Father Chuck O'Malley, and Rocky Balboa. Twice there have been double nominations from the same film with actors playing older and younger versions of the same character, and both involve Kate Winslet: Rose DeWitt Bukater in Titanic and Iris Murdoch in Iris.

This year Jo March joins the character list with Winona Ryder and now Saoirse Ronan both garnering nominations for their versions of Little Women.

But to date the only two Oscar wins for the same character are Brando as Vito Corleone for Best Actor in The Godfather and Robert DeNiro as Vito for Best Supporting Actor in The Godfather Part II. Heath Ledger's Supporting win for The Dark Knight coupled with Pheonix's presumptive win as Actor for Joker would make them the second pair.

chawhee 01-15-20 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2058629)
Also, just realized Adam Driver being nominated for an Oscar means he's going to have to sit down during the ceremony while they play a clip of him performing. Reminder that he can't stand that and walked out of an NPR interview over it. Seems to be genuine embarrassment and self-consciousness rather than simple diva behavior, but I wonder what the plan is for the big night?
I didn't think about that until now. I remember first hearing about the NPR story and thinking how absurd it is considering this had to have happened dozens of times in his career up to this point. I understand how people can be repulsed by things like that though...