Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   XFactor (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=24395)

LuDiNaToR 12-09-10 05:54 PM

XFactor

anyone from the uk been checking the xfactor out, who do you want to win?? whats your favourite performance??

this is mine by far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1yGVqiCF_k

planet news 12-09-10 06:56 PM

Re: XFactor

NO.i

ChasingButterfly 12-09-10 07:05 PM

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/upl...musclekarp.jpg

LuDiNaToR 12-10-10 05:45 AM

its basicaly the british version of american idol, xfactor starts in american next year aswell, its really big in the uk.

honeykid 12-10-10 05:56 AM

Big and ****. One of the worst programmes on tv.

LuDiNaToR 12-10-10 06:04 AM

well i like it, looks like ime the only person who does lol but oh well.

Tacitus 12-10-10 07:52 AM

"You're so original, you remind me of Cyndi Lauper!" I think it was that embarrassment to Ireland, Louis Walsh, who said this a few weeks ago.

Can't stand it for a number of reasons, the chief one being the belief it fosters that all you need to do to be a pop star is practice in your bedroom and queue up once a year and hope that Cowell and his army think you're good/quirky/have a dead relative enough to go further.

What happened to forming a band with a bunch of like-minded people, practising until your fingers bleed and playing in p*ss holes of clubs and pubs in the hope of a) getting better and b) someone noticing you? You'll not get anywhere this way without some talent, of course, but that's not needed on X Factor.

All you need to do is to be able to project the image that Cowell thinks is current and will shift the most units. The production team will do the rest...

honeykid 12-10-10 08:45 AM

BTW, from what I hear, One Direction will win.

Tacitus 12-10-10 09:17 AM

The Marcel Marceau tribute act? If I were one of the other acts I'd be pretty brassed off if those pretty little chancers with their vast choir of invisible backing singers win.

It's pretty clear that Cowell and co have been pushing Wand Erection, the Scouse girl and the bloke from the early stages which would make sense because they're all varying shades of bland and malleable, even by the show's standards.

christine 12-10-10 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by LuDiNaToR (Post 700809)
anyone from the uk been checking the xfactor out, who do you want to win?? whats your favourite performance??

this is mine by far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1yGVqiCF_k

me too Lud. I like that guy, and I do watch X Factor despite agreeing with everything Tattyhead says ;). They're all fairly bland performers that's why Matt stood out singing that song. Rebecca looks like a sweet girl but she's in a long line of girl ballad singers - if you listened to her on a record I doubt you'd buy it. One Direction - jeez yet another made up boyband..yawn. Mary was a great pub singer along the lines of the one who used to get up and belt 'em out in the British Legion at closing time when I was a kid. There must be hundreds of kids like Cher in singing and dancing classes around the country. I went to my friends daughters Saturday club Christmas show last week and there was two kids who stood out as having at least as much talent as Cher and far more than the other one who left, Katie.

It's lazy tv. I must have no taste cos everyone else in the family leaves the room when it's on, but me and the dog watch it :D

Tacitus 12-11-10 07:47 AM

It's the dog I feel sorry for. :p

Lemme guess, he was a Wagner fan? ;D

Rhoten 12-11-10 08:06 AM

All i have to say is, if Cher Lloyd wins i am permanently deleting ITV from my television.

LuDiNaToR 12-11-10 11:37 AM

i dont think she will.

christine 12-11-10 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 701060)
It's the dog I feel sorry for. :p

Lemme guess, he was a Wagner fan? ;D
it was difficult to tell them apart. the long fluffy hair, the terrible yowling. the eager expression...

nebbit 12-11-10 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 700904)
BTW, from what I hear, One Direction will win.
Been following it on You Tube :blush: Surely these guys can't win :eek: they are terrible :yup:

christine 12-11-10 07:27 PM

they are very ordinary Nebbs. but they're I suppose quite cute adolescents who appeal to the thousands of kids who watch the X factor. Nowt to do with singing ability!

It'd be nice if Matt won

christine 12-11-10 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rhoten (Post 701063)
All i have to say is, if Cher Lloyd wins i am permanently deleting ITV from my television.
you're ok then Rho. although a life without ITV would be a life missing nothing at all

JTosac 12-11-10 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus (Post 700894)
"You're so original, you remind me of Cyndi Lauper!" I think it was that embarrassment to Ireland, Louis Walsh, who said this a few weeks ago.

Can't stand it for a number of reasons, the chief one being the belief it fosters that all you need to do to be a pop star is practice in your bedroom and queue up once a year and hope that Cowell and his army think you're good/quirky/have a dead relative enough to go further.

What happened to forming a band with a bunch of like-minded people, practising until your fingers bleed and playing in p*ss holes of clubs and pubs in the hope of a) getting better and b) someone noticing you? You'll not get anywhere this way without some talent, of course, but that's not needed on X Factor.

All you need to do is to be able to project the image that Cowell thinks is current and will shift the most units. The production team will do the rest...
It fosters a belief that's completely true.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
to be a pop star
. Your confusing genres as far as I'm concerned. Name one hopeful 'recording artist(s)' who has accomplished success working their way from the garage with bloody finger tips to the main stage at 'Rock in Rio' besides Lady Gaga who's the exception to the rule.

You'l struggle. I have this conversation with a hardened Rock/Metal fan at work every Saturday when this show is on. I relate to the irritation you guys feel towards the style of music and the manner they reach the top, but we shouldn't begrudge the contestants.

I used to be in a band called Wired to the Moon, a Northern Irish band who played **** holes around Belfast. Were gradually got better and our shows got bigger. We just played for the fun of it mind. But the point is our inspiration was Iron Maiden, Metallica, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, Trivium, Rage Against etc. We were doing it the way they did, the way our particular genre demanded.

However Cher, who just got booted off X-Factor tonight. Her inspiration is Cheryl Cole, an artist with a fantastic album, none of which she wrote (music of lyrics) and which she refuses to perform live. I know rite, at what point does she even qualify as a musician...? she's not, she's a 'recording artist' kept alive by the Radio one chart show and the UK's love of **** pop music. She's (Cher) after a record deal, a contract that promises her the use of a studio and some talented writers. You want her to play bars and dingy clubs, with what? She has no material. Simon Cowell and the XFactor is not responsible for the way the pop music industry is.

I leave you with a song, It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll, not so if you want to push out a pop album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0I9WKWp44

Tacitus 12-11-10 09:10 PM

Yes, there have always been and always will be 'manufactured' acts, brought together by a savvy manager, from The Monkees through The Bay City Rollers (and even The Sex Pistols) to Take That and The Spice Girls, but the last decade has seen the Cowell approach conquer all.

He's lucky in a way that so few people buy singles these days but the flip side is that his acts need to tour regularly if they're to make any serious dough.

You ask about pop singers who've grafted? The days of Madonna, Duran Duran are probably gone forever in the mainstream but even the manufactured bands I mentioned earlier all had to start off playing dives just like you did. Just like I did.

I'll say it again but The X Factor makes kids believe this isn't necessary. Queue up, emote a bit to the producers (while mentioning that you're doing this for your kids/dead gran) and hopefully get through to the televised section. If the show didn't exist then 99% of the hopefuls would be auditioning for Big Brother or whatever other reality show is in vogue.

For every Cheryl Cole there's a Katy Perry who's grafted, taken the knocks and come back stronger. I'm not saying that Princess Cheryl hasn't worked hard (and I think Girls Aloud are by far the best of Cowell's crop) but in terms of her music career it's all down to reality shows.

ChasingButterfly 12-11-10 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by LuDiNaToR (Post 700886)
its basicaly the british version of american idol, xfactor starts in american next year aswell, its really big in the uk.
Yeah I know what it is, I'm from the UK, but I like to pretend it doesn't exist. That gives me a fabulous peice of mind.