Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=25171)

MovieMad16 03-15-11 04:17 PM

Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Basic topic is films you hate or can't stand yet everyone else adores.

wintertriangles 03-15-11 04:42 PM

Re: Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

This is gonna be a long thread

Brodinski 03-15-11 05:16 PM

HK is probably gonna put up like 20 replies consisting of 200 movies a piece.

I'll put forward Sin City. Can't stand that film.

nebbit 03-15-11 05:23 PM

Happy Gilmore :p

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...4ueFRIOj068NJA

Sedai 03-15-11 05:32 PM

http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/46...ver_poster.jpg

So, who is going to put Twilight up? Shall I? ;)

zeedeevil 03-15-11 07:28 PM

I'm going to piss off some folks around here but, Blade Runner sucked. I don't hate it though, I just don't like it as much as others do.:)

I'm new here, by the way.:D

MovieMad16 03-15-11 07:55 PM

all opinions are welcome.

moviegoddess 03-15-11 09:16 PM

hi--
also new here...i would ay any kevin costner film...

nebbit 03-16-11 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by zeedeevil (Post 718389)
I'm going to piss off some folks around here but, Blade Runner sucked.
Probably :yup:

MadMikeyD 03-16-11 05:34 PM

Michael Bay's Transformers

Sedai 03-16-11 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by zeedeevil (Post 718389)
I'm going to piss off some folks around here but, Blade Runner sucked. I don't hate it though, I just don't like it as much as others do.:)

I'm new here, by the way.:D
Oh, I'm not pissed I just think you have bad taste in film. ;) Each, to his own, and all that.

zeedeevil 03-16-11 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 718503)
Oh, I'm not pissed I just think you have bad taste in film. ;) To each their own and all that.
Haha you don't know my taste in films except my mention to Blade Runner and the ones I mentioned on my top10 (which is not accurate since I have a much wider list of favorites, and without any specific order). :p

Nightowl 03-17-11 12:46 AM

forset gump
dumber and dummer

rauldc14 03-17-11 01:26 AM

Fight Club
Requiem for a Dream

chipper 03-17-11 11:19 PM

Titanic - it's Romeo and Juliet in a sinking boat. what's the deal?

mark f 03-18-11 12:54 AM

Maybe because Juliet didn't kill herself it meant more to certain women (AND MEN).

Miss Vicky 03-18-11 10:06 AM

My list from last time still stands.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...d.php?p=546058

If I think of more, I'll post them.

MovieMad16 03-18-11 10:21 AM

i've seen the list and i'm surprised at your choices. I can't understand

No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood,Gangs Of New York, Saw, Kill Bill, LOTR,Harry Potter,Star Wars & Little Miss Sunshine

Then again, we all have different tastes.

moviegoddess 03-18-11 02:51 PM

alvin and the chimpmunks...not a movie, but curb yoour emthusium..i dont know why, i just cant watch it...hunt for red october, frankie and jonny, pride and prejudice--any version..

not hate, but do not prefeer..death at a funeral, the american version..the new karate kid...

MovieMad16 03-18-11 03:29 PM

I think every person above 13 and not a bieber fan hates Alvin & The Chipmunks, except for its catchy theme tune from the cartoon.

Bruce Lee 03-18-11 11:45 PM

The Fast & The Furious...the whole franchise.

HollyG 03-19-11 12:40 AM

I am not a big fan of The Social Network and I know alot of people love this movie I just could not get into it. I am not saying its the worst film ever, I just found it kind of boring.:eek:

4dM 03-19-11 01:59 AM

Wizard Of Oz.

Moonwalker.

nebbit 03-19-11 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce Lee (Post 718926)
There are people who love these movies! :eek:

nebbit 03-19-11 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by moviegoddess (Post 718832)
...hunt for red october,
OMG I love this movie :bawling:

yuri 03-19-11 03:48 AM

TylerDurden99 03-20-11 03:10 AM

The Godfather.

Nightowl 03-20-11 03:29 AM

ican't stanad lord of the rings or the martiax. i don't likekill bill moive much.

Brodinski 03-20-11 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 (Post 719211)
The Godfather.
Do you hate that? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they hate it. Not live up to the hype, sure, but really thinking it stinks...

Why do you hate it? Be as specific as possible

4dM 03-20-11 10:47 AM

I hate the Godfather cause it's a francis ford coppola/al pacino/marlon brando deal. These guys are not up to the mark they pretend to be in terms of their appeal to women. They want unjust power, and they're foolish and need to be stopped. Don't women see through the stupidity and inadequacy....?

Brodinski 03-20-11 11:32 AM

Poor troll effort. I've seen my 8-year old nephew do better troll jobs.

4dM 03-20-11 01:01 PM

I learned this by analysing their looks compared to how they act with it to get whatever ie women. They don't live up to the mark. I think I'm better than they in terms of quality of course and as for others ... I would agree that an attractive child boy could grow up to get an attractive woman.... anyone with connections to powerful inadequate boys should be ostracised as well. Afterall what non-beautiful deed are they portraying - a worthless sick one to me!

Yoda 03-20-11 01:07 PM

I think the problem here is assuming that women are attracted to those characters for their looks. I think they're attracted to them for their power and confidence; both are notoriously strong aphrodisiacs.

4dM 03-20-11 01:22 PM

But what gives them the right to be powerful, to do whatever when they are not high in terms of looks. They match with uglier girls don't they... it's wrong for them to transgress which I suppose is why they get terminated or get negative repercussions in old age and such when they can no longer get these women they shouldn't get... it seems a secret termination connection deal for others too which I don't have a problem with at all.

Yoda 03-20-11 01:27 PM

Nothing gives them the right to do anything they do: that's the point. They take what they want by force. They're criminals.

Looks are largely irrelevant. For one, I think plenty of people find them attractive (they're all actors, after all), but even if they were not, a person does not always have to be physically attractive to attract people. Being rich, powerful, and confident works just fine. For examples of this, see Donald Trump, wealthy businessmen, many famous directors, etc.

I'm more than a little confused about your complaint.

4dM 03-20-11 01:35 PM

Boys are compared based on their quality only. Their actions can transcend reality and therefore are falsified actions. It's up to how smart a woman is to see that, to not accept a bad quality male whatever they do cause its a false deed. They are degraded to their level in this way. Which is why I have a problem with pretty girls going to inadequate boys.

planet news 03-20-11 01:39 PM

What you're saying is... INTREDASTING. However, why focus it on a decent film instead of to celebrity or humanity in general?

Yoda 03-20-11 01:39 PM

I have no idea what that second sentence is supposed to mean. As for the rest: it depends on what you mean by "quality" and "inadequate." I have no problem with a pretty girl ending up with a relatively ordinary (or even unattractive) boy if he has other qualities that she thinks makes up for it. Happens all the time, and it's generally considered admirable when people look beyond transient surface things.

But this is irrelevant, because there are plenty of reasons for women to be attracted to the men in The Godfather. They are confident, wealthy, and powerful. Some, like Vito, are also very wise. So, the movie is perfectly believable in this regard.

4dM 03-20-11 01:49 PM

You can either choose to do the right thing or not. I suppose the inadequates are fools either way and so are the women they attract. Termination deal, not?

Yoda 03-20-11 01:51 PM

I don't know what "inadequates" are and what "Termination deal" means. You'll have to define these terms if you want to be understood.

4dM 03-20-11 01:54 PM

I just have a huge problem with any very attractive woman to go to any less attractive men. They shouldn't have the fun! Do they think they can get away with it ???? Make a fool of them and their connections...

4dM 03-20-11 01:59 PM

Inadequates : Funny looking guys, just funny fools or of other race than your average attractive white woman.

Termination deal : Death

planet news 03-20-11 02:00 PM

I think they look alright. :shrug:

MovieMad16 03-20-11 02:00 PM

You make no sense, absolute no sense. Its a film, not a case study. And BTW its my favourite film of all time. If your favourite film is Disaster Movie, then i think i have met my doppleganger.

4dM 03-20-11 02:10 PM

They just don't have a beautiful quality required to get a beautiful woman. They're getting away with travesty! It's like they're saying oh she's not beautiful just like me but I can get away with beauty.... it's a huge deal. They need punishment.

Yoda 03-20-11 02:10 PM

Yeah, this doesn't make sense. I'll run through the reasons again:

1) Some people find those actors very attractive. Most actors are. Brando, in particular, is considered one of the better looking leading men in history, I think.

2) There are any number of things outside of physical attractiveness that make someone attractive. I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept this, even though you don't seem able to process it.

3) Even if you don't agree with the two things above, none of this has anything do with The Godfather as a movie. It'd be a really weird thing to criticize a film for even if it were fair or true to begin with, and I'm not sure that it is.

As for your rhetorical question about why less attractive men should have "the fun" (which is a great euphemism for sex that I must start using immediately): why shouldn't they? Is there some grand sexual justice in just pairing up whoever wins a certain aspect of the genetic lottery that I'm unaware of? There is nothing inherently more valuable about being attractive than about being intelligent.

But, again, the biggest point is: this has nothing to do with the movie. The movie is realistic. It's a great movie. If anything, the fact that women are attracted to these men only underlines and strengthens its insight into human nature. Whatever odd hangups you have on this topic are not comments about the film, and not a very sensible reason to dislike it as a film.

4dM 03-20-11 02:19 PM

Just delete these last few posts. No one gets me. Intelligence/strength does not get you an attractive girl. Beauty does. They are unrelated topics. Anything else is wrong and needs termination since you can't get away with it - putting together non attractive topics togther with beauty to get it.

Yoda 03-20-11 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4dM (Post 719278)
Just delete these last few posts. No one gets me. Intelligence/strength does not get you an attractive girl. Beauty does.
No, this is just wrong. There are about a million examples to the contrary.

It also shouldn't be true, for all the reasons I've explained. But should or shouldn't, this isn't how it works in reality, and thank goodness for that, I say.

If you want to persuade anyone of your rather bizarre views, you have to do more than just repeat them over and over again.

Now, if you want to discuss this further, go create a thread in the Intermission forum for it. It has nothing do with The Godfather.

wintertriangles 03-20-11 08:07 PM

Anything else is wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG! NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!

honeykid 03-20-11 09:09 PM

Even I don't hate The Godfather. :eek:

TylerDurden99 03-21-11 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Brodinski (Post 719231)
Do you hate that? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they hate it. Not live up to the hype, sure, but really thinking it stinks...

Why do you hate it? Be as specific as possible
I don't really hate it, I just really dislike it...

It's really overrated and I just don't like it as much as others.

I love and prefer the sequels.

chipper 03-21-11 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 719313)
Even I don't hate The Godfather. :eek:
who hates godfather?:eek:

MadMikeyD 03-21-11 01:52 PM

I can't say I hate The Godfather, but I can definitely say I just didn't really enjoy it.

Mr. Fisk 03-21-11 04:05 PM

Anything shrek
Braveheart
Robin hood prince of thieves
Backdraft

Brodinski 03-21-11 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 (Post 719384)
I don't really hate it, I just really dislike it...

It's really overrated and I just don't like it as much as others.

I love and prefer the sequels.
Yes, ok, but why do you dislike it? The story didn't capture your attention? You didn't like the plot? Something with the direction or pacing? You didn't like the acting (hard to imagine)? Some scene rubbed you the wrong way?

TylerDurden99 03-21-11 06:59 PM

No, the acting was the best thing about it. The pacing was slow and I didn't care for the characters at all (thats probably the point) and I really didn't like Coppola's direction. It made the film operatic, an approach that, I guess, just didn't work for me. The sequel's had a more darker, gritty feel that I just enjoyed more.

moviegoddess 03-22-11 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by nebbit (Post 718963)
OMG I love this movie :bawling:

i know...everybody else loves hunt for red october...not me..:p

moviegoddess 03-22-11 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce Lee (Post 718926)

yesss... i cant stand any of these 4 movies..i fu(kin hate vin diesel...he is brreathing the same air as me!!!

sorry i have strong opions, about crap movies...are they really makeing a 5th movie?!!!:mad:

Brodinski 03-23-11 07:56 AM

Well, the thread title is "Films you hate, but everyone else loves". Not everyone loves The Fast & The Furious series. You'd be hard-pressed to find one person on this board who loves the entire series.

I'vegot one more to add: Kick-Ass. My vote for worst film of 2010 and I still ended up watching it 1,5 times. Luckily, my girl's folks found out halfway through that I was right about it being a piece of ***** film so we turned it off.

ash_is_the_gal 03-23-11 09:00 AM

i for one have probably never fallen in love with a traditionally good looking boy in my life, and i consider myself to be a pretty hot girl. :cool:

nothing wrong with that. people need to look beyond physical attributes.

MovieMad16 03-24-11 08:15 PM

Finally someone put Braveheart. That film to me is very overrated.

mark f 03-24-11 10:46 PM

Lots of people agree with you but I'm not one of 'em. Epic, classic, romantic storytelling at a level I almost couldn't believe would have been made in 1995. I suppose many people hate Gibson, somehow think it's a misinterpretation of "the truth" (what movie isn't?), or just hate more-modern movies which seem to imitate older ones and thus seem "dated" somehow.

Dylanesque 03-29-11 08:59 PM

There Will Be Blood
The Hours

Paris18 03-30-11 10:24 PM

I'd have to say, A Beautiful Mind- pretty predictable and definitely not Oscar worthy (although still a decent film). I without a doubt prefer Howard's Apollo 13.

And adding to this debate- not only do I not date men based entirely off of looks (for the most part)...but if you think for a second that Marlon Brando isn't attractive...wow :eek:. I think he was sexy as Terry Malloy, Stanley Kowalski, AND Vito Corelone. Hell, I still thought he was kinda sexy in Apocalypse Now...and he was in shadows for most of his time on film (mind you I have a weird belief in what is attractive). So, that's just, crazy...to me at least. Even Pacino is pretty sexy in it. I'd also like to add that I don't judge how good a movie is based off of how attractive the actors are.

wintertriangles 03-30-11 10:41 PM

Brando was also super chunky in AN

Paris18 03-30-11 10:47 PM

Brando was also super chunky in AN

...still. Maybe, I like chunky :p

TylerDurden99 04-01-11 06:16 AM

Another I dislike, possibly even more than The Godfather, is Juno. I don't think it's clever at all and I don't feel anything for any characters. Terribly overrated, in my opinion.

MovieMad16 04-01-11 10:21 AM

I hate Braveheart because Mel Gibson's scottish accent is awful, and this is someone from scotland.

Paris18 04-01-11 10:39 AM

Another I dislike, possibly even more than The Godfather, is Juno. I don't think it's clever at all and I don't feel anything for any characters. Terribly overrated, in my opinion.
Ignoring The Godfather part, I ABSOLUTELY agree...that movie was beyond dull.

Ugo Strange 04-03-11 03:23 AM

Animal House! I understand that comedy is a subjective thing...but in ALL honestly this HAD to be the dumbest piece of crap I've EVER sat through. Not a single part made me laugh, not a single character was memorable. The ONLY memorable thing I can think of was John Belushi spitting jello in someone's face and cracking an EXTREMELY stupid joke about him being a zit and how absolutely disgusting that was. I don't mind gross out humor BUT PLEASE give me a GOOD enough plot and punchline with it !

TylerDurden99 04-03-11 03:58 AM

Just watched This Is Spinal Tap and it has to be one of the most boring movie experiences of my entire life. It has a few funny moments (and I stress few), but the film is just stupid and overrated.

nebbit 04-03-11 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 (Post 721281)
Just watched This Is Spinal Tap and it has to be one of the most boring movie experiences of my entire life. It has a few funny moments (and I stress few), but the film is just stupid and overrated.
Aww that is sad :(

wintertriangles 04-03-11 10:15 AM

It's only stupid if you're unfamiliar with everything it refers to...and really that isn't stupid at all

JayDee 04-03-11 12:56 PM

The two films I'm going to mention aren't films that I really hate but just don't get the hype really.

I'm a huge fan of the Coen brothers but surprisingly the two films that are most people's favourites - Fargo and Big Lebowski - just don't do it for me

Fargo was ok but for me not in the same league as O Brother..., Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing etc while I just didn't get the Big Lebowski whatsoever. After so much praise I was left completely confused as to why it was so loved

I do however plan on giving Lebowski another chance sometime in case it was my fault, maybe I just wasn't in the mood or the right mindset for it

MovieMad16 04-03-11 05:27 PM

did you like Burn After Reading ?

nebbit 04-03-11 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 721316)
I do however plan on giving Lebowski another chance sometime in case it was my fault, maybe I just wasn't in the mood or the right mindset for it
Give it another go :yup: it took me a few viewings to really like it :yup: now I :love: it :)

JayDee 04-03-11 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMad16 (Post 721348)
did you like Burn After Reading ?
Not seen it yet. Missed it at the cinema. Picked the DVD up a while back for a couple of pounds but not watched it yet. One of so many cheap DVDs I've blind bought and are still lying unwatched

Is it one of your favourites?

Originally Posted by nebbit (Post 721358)
Give it another go :yup: it took me a few viewings to really like it :yup: now I :love: it :)
Well that sounds promising as it's a film I want to like. With films that inspire such passionate followings I always feel I'm missing out when they don't appeal to me in the same way

Ugo Strange 04-03-11 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 721394)
Well that sounds promising as it's a film I want to like. With films that inspire such passionate followings I always feel I'm missing out when they don't appeal to me in the same way
I can certainly relate to that feeling. Often times I find myself unable to articulate exactly what it is about some movies that just don't hit me the way others do. Then again, all media is a subjective medium so I take comfort in the fact that people like you and I aren't the only ones who feel like they're missing the punchline.:)

EMFilmGeek 08-26-11 06:23 PM

Repo men.

filmgirlinterrupted 08-26-11 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by EMFilmGeek (Post 758845)
Repo men.
Who the hell loved THAT movie??

isaackuhlman 08-29-11 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 718577)
Fight Club
Requiem for a Dream
I'm not going to say I hate you because I don't know you, but I can tell we'd never get along in real life. Lol.

isaackuhlman 08-29-11 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by filmgirlinterrupted (Post 758850)
Who the hell loved THAT movie??
Yeah, I would like to know who also. Did anyone else notice that it was a blatant rip off of the ideas used in Vanilla Sky/Open Your Eyes?

Nausicaä 08-29-11 06:12 AM

That should be Open Your Eyes/Vanilla Sky. :p

Tyler1 08-29-11 06:22 AM

Fight Club
8 1/2
American Beauty

Nausicaä 08-29-11 06:33 AM

I don't HATE any of the following but just didn't enjoy them or see what the big deal was:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pie_poster.jpg
American Pie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...a%2C_title.JPG
Casablanca

With Tyler1 on this one, this one is hailed as a classic and I can see why but I just found it one massive bore:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../46/8Mezzo.jpg
8 1/2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cal_poster.jpg
Cloverfield

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ons_poster.jpg
Four Lions - everyone I've talked to has said this is the most hilarious thing they have seen for ages... eh.

Revolutionary 08-31-11 06:07 AM

Anything Terrence Malick has made besides Badlands. Although again, I do not hate them, but I also do not love them. I am indifferent to them, although everyone seems to think Malick is a genius, which he is not in my opinion.
Four lions had the same reaction from my friends, I thought it was okay, some funny parts but it doesn't stand up next to Morris's earlier work.

Nausicaä 08-31-11 07:59 AM

Badlands is a classic indeed.

Deadite 08-31-11 08:16 AM

I thought Cloverfield was pretty disappointing myself. The actors were uninteresting and the monster scenes weren't exciting, mostly.

mastermetal777 08-31-11 06:05 PM

I don't necessarily hate it (I enjoy watching it from time to time), but Forrest Gump to me is a little overrated. The only interesting people in it are Tom Hanks and Gary Sinise. Everyone else is either bland or not fleshed out enough to me.

gandalf26 08-31-11 07:34 PM

Basically every Harry Potter film.

NagaNootch42 09-01-11 02:27 AM

3 of the 4 I wanted to say were already said, but for what it's worth:

Fargo
Cloverfield
Twister
Fight Club

Earl Gray 09-01-11 07:24 PM

Annie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just can't stand it even the title give me the creeps.

filmgirlinterrupted 09-01-11 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by naganootch42 (Post 760461)
3 of the 4 i wanted to say were already said, but for what it's worth:

Fargo
Fight club
Blasphemy!!!

Kitsch 09-01-11 11:51 PM

Bram Stoker's Dracula
28 Days Later
Citizen Kane - not really hate, just don't care for it; seen so many from the '40s that deserve more attention.
Pulp Fiction
The Godfather - see Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Days of Heaven - all looks, no substance.

FanaticFilmFan 09-03-11 03:06 AM

Any Given Sunday

MrPink 09-03-11 11:20 AM

star wars
nolan films

FanaticFilmFan 09-14-11 04:32 PM

http://iams.pbworks.com/f/1275952539/et.gif

lundy1026 09-14-11 05:07 PM

ok don't hate on me guys, but i honest to god do not like any of the ROCKY movies. and anything related to boxing as the main theme... just not for me.
oh and i'm not a big fan on "based on a true story SPORTS movies". I mean I like the fictional ones like The Longest Yard and Waterboy and Benchwarmers.. yadda yadda yadda... but not the ones where you feel like you're watching a documentary. I did like the (can't think of the name) one with sandra bullock who adopted that black guy who went pro in football tho.

mastermetal777 09-14-11 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by lundy1026 (Post 764615)
ok don't hate on me guys, but i honest to god do not like any of the ROCKY movies. and anything related to boxing as the main theme... just not for me.
oh and i'm not a big fan on "based on a true story SPORTS movies". I mean I like the fictional ones like The Longest Yard and Waterboy and Benchwarmers.. yadda yadda yadda... but not the ones where you feel like you're watching a documentary. I did like the (can't think of the name) one with sandra bullock who adopted that black guy who went pro in football tho.

You're thinking of The Blind Side. That was a great movie, in my opinion. Sandra definitely deserved her awards for that movie.

HitchFan97 09-14-11 07:50 PM

http://jeremylent.files.wordpress.co...tizen-kane.jpg

I feel like I might need to rewatch it, however.