Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thinking of a Dedicated Review Thread (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62416)

Ami-Scythe 09-26-20 01:21 PM

Thinking of a Dedicated Review Thread

So I've been feeling a lot better as of late and am feeling up to making YouTube videos again. I've been working on legitimizing my film business and so far everything is going quite smoothly, but if I'm going to do YouTube again, I thought of using a phone avatar instead of my drawn avatar so I could have more time to create original stuff. I'm currently working at a small review of an old Spongebob episode to test my avatars out and I was wondering if I should make a dedicated thread out my refreshed channel. I'm on anxiety medication so I can handle criticism much better these days and I still wish to improve my ability to entertain. But if so, should I post my videos or should I post the scripts of those videos, since a lot of the members here prefer written reviews?

Yoda 09-26-20 01:30 PM

Re: Thinking of a Dedicated Review Thread

Hmm, can't think of a reason not to do both. Most people here do prefer written, but I also recognize we're unusual in that regard (most people are gravitating towards video). I'd say do what feels right, but yeah, a written version probably suits this crowd slightly better relative to most places (and is something I've tried to cultivate around the margins, too).

John McClane 09-26-20 01:35 PM

I barely read anything outside of scientific and news articles these days, so I’d watch the videos and prefer that. You could just post the video at the top of the post and then provide the script/transcript under it.

I’ve always appreciated news agencies that do that when I’m in a situation when I can’t use audio.

Ami-Scythe 09-26-20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2127443)
I barely read anything outside of scientific and news articles these days, so I’d watch the videos and prefer that. You could just post the video at the top of the post and then provide the script/transcript under it.

I’ve always appreciated news agencies that do that when I’m in a situation when I can’t use audio.
That's a great idea!

Citizen Rules 09-26-20 02:31 PM

I'd love to see your reviews. I only read text reviews, I don't watch video reviews...So like the others already posted, how about posting both video and text reviews.

skizzerflake 09-26-20 02:42 PM

I'd try it and see what happens; this is a good place to experiment and see how the reaction goes. Personally, I'm a fast reader and have no interest in youtube talking heads, which make my eyes glaze over, so I'd definitely prefer text.

I had my own review channel a while back, but, honestly, the effort and reward ratio really didn't work for me, even when I posted it on several different sites. That's an important part of deciding whether it works for you.

John McClane 09-26-20 05:07 PM

For me, I care more about the audio quality. Graphics are cool and all (who doesn’t love a pie chart?!), but I prefer to have a clean recording with solid writing every day of the week. It’s why I love talk radio.

Ami-Scythe 09-29-20 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2127496)
For me, I care more about the audio quality. Graphics are cool and all (who doesn’t love a pie chart?!), but I prefer to have a clean recording with solid writing every day of the week. It’s why I love talk radio.
Luckily I have a new microphone!