Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Things You Hate From Shows You Love (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47068)

Camo 10-22-16 04:55 PM

Things You Hate From Shows You Love

There's some spoilers here for the record if you haven't seen one of the shows i'm talking about then don't read that part of this post. I used tags for The Wire one then realized i'd have to use them throughout and i'd rather not.

I've been talking to TONGO and to a lesser extent Gideon about The Wire and rewatching it as well. It made me think that the only thing i don't like about the show on any level is Brother Mouzone. Some other characters i'm not crazy about but he's the only one i can't find anything redeeming about. He was only there to create a few extra badass Omar moments which goes against everything The Wire is about (Omars badass moments usually have some purpose);
WARNING: "the wire" spoilers below
Stringers death scene is amazing but i'm not a fan of how he was caught purely because i think Mouzone was pointless.
The actor was pretty terrible as well IMO.

A few others:

The Sopranos

AJ :rolleyes:, This is about 99% the actor who played hims fault, he could've been a great character. Season 1 AJ is fantastic but he kills so many potentially great scenes later on; my go-to example is always the scene where Tony picks him up and goes nuts when AJ tried to kill Junior. Awful performance there.

Arrested Development:

Season 4 was solid but i didn't like the an episode based on each character structure; one of the best things about the original run was the subplots and the whole family interacting which this pretty much eliminated. From the original run: the Mr(R) F story in Season 3. There was still plenty of great moments so i wouldn't say i hate it but it is still the weakest part of the original run IMO.

South Park:

The last three seasons. Specifically the change to an ongoing storyline. I posted this earlier about it:

Anybody watching the new season? It hasn't been bad but it hasn't been great either. As i've already said i'm not a fan of the running plot structure. I like it in theory but not in the execution so far. I think Season 18 had the right idea, individual stories with a running subplot, i think the problem with that Season was just that it had bad episodes i think if they kept that up they would've got it right by now. Don't like that they've made the full season a running plot, my main problem is that while i love the over the top exaggerations from South Park but when it is based on the one storyline throughout a season the jokes often get repetitive and drawn out. This quitting twitter is like suicide joke for example has already got really boring and will no doubt continue throughout the season.
I have more, just think i should cut it short.

Captain Steel 10-22-16 06:25 PM

Re: Things You Hate From Shows You Love

Lost In Space:
Dr. Smith - for God's sake, the man tried to murder a whole family: women and children, and not just once but multiple times! He's abandon them, tried to sell them, trade them, left them to die, trapped them, imprisoned them and betrayed them to evil aliens countless times. He's a liar, he's lazy, egotistical, arrogant, self-centered, weak, sinister, devious, gluttonous and greedy. He's endangered the family he's tried to murder countless times, yet they end up risking their necks or forfeiting their chances to get home to go back to rescue him!
I agree with Don West - leave Smith behind, or better yet, just put a laser bolt through his head and have done with it. Then maybe the Space Family Robinson could get on with some good sci-fi adventures!

P.S. No offense to Jonathan Harris.

Camo 10-22-16 06:27 PM

Love you Captain! I thought this was going to be my first thread to completely fail.

Captain Steel 10-22-16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1596875)
Love you Captain! I thought this was going to be my first thread to completely fail.
I have a collection of those! :)

CosmicRunaway 10-22-16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1596816)
Arrested Development:

Season 4 was solid but i didn't like the an episode based on each character structure; one of the best things about the original run was the subplots and the whole family interacting which this pretty much eliminated. From the original run: the Mr(R) F story in Season 3. There was still plenty of great moments so i wouldn't say i hate it but it is still the weakest part of the original run IMO.
I completely agree with this. For the first few episodes of that season, I did actually kind of hate it, but my love for the series made me persevere. Either the episodes genuinely got a little better, or I became less critical because by the end, I thought it was alright.

Camo 10-22-16 07:03 PM

Do you agree with both the Season 4 and Mr F parts, or just one?

CosmicRunaway 10-22-16 07:15 PM

I was mostly agreeing with the season 4 part. The Mr F storyline was at the very least memorable, but I don't remember the specifics well enough to judge it.

CosmicRunaway 10-22-16 07:18 PM

I certainly remember this though:

CosmicRunaway 10-22-16 07:23 PM

The more I think about it, the more I remember not liking the Mr F story, but my room mate seems to have really liked it. I think this is the perfect excuse to rewatch Arrested Development. All of it, for context. :shifty:

Camo 10-22-16 07:37 PM

I've watched AD a ridiculous amount of times. That and It's Always Sunny are the perfect shows to have on in the background when you are doing something.

Most of the subplots during the Mr F storyline are excellent so the episodes are mostly good but i find the actual MR F story lacking.

CosmicRunaway 10-22-16 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1596918)
Most of the subplots during the Mr F storyline are excellent so the episodes are mostly good but i find the actual MR F story lacking.
This is probably how I felt when I saw it. I remember really liking certain things, but not the whole Mr F story in general, which is why I'm a little uncertain about whether I liked it or not haha.

Camo 10-22-16 07:59 PM

I'm being a bit harsh in all honesty. Arrested Development is so perfect to me that a bit of a misstep like the MR F storyline feels alot worse than it actually is. Any other show and i would've loved it probably.

TONGO 10-22-16 08:21 PM

As I said in PM to Camo, I agree that Brother Mouzone was a campy waste of space.

For some reason it irked me to see Richard Belzer doing a cameo. Screw the bosses? Well I say screw the guest stars. ;) Other than Ray Lewis, being it was in Baltimore they should have had Ray Lewis do a cameo, and yeah he grew up in that gang stuff.

I also think the name of the show didnt do it any favors. The Wire sounds severe, and isolated as a title. If they just called it "Baltimore" it would have made more sense to viewers going in what its about.

Camo 10-22-16 08:25 PM

I've never thought about it but i agree actually that The Wire isn't the best name. I think Breaking Bad and Arrested Development are probably the best names of shows i love.

Captain Steel 10-22-16 09:24 PM

I seem to be on an older TV show kick tonight, but anyway...

Superman: (the original TV series):

- Never a super-villain, humongous monster or giant robot to fight during the entire course of the series! Not even a single appearance by Lex freakin' Luthor! George Reeves pretty much fought bank robbers & gangsters in fedoras! Without any super-powered villains, monsters or robots (or even the occasional giant gorilla) there was nothing to challenge Superman's mighty powers.

honeykid 10-23-16 04:37 PM

The vast majority of the Ross/Rachel thing once they break up.

Camo 10-23-16 04:40 PM

There's plenty of Friends things that annoy me. Think the Ross/Rachel thing would be #1. Joey getting dumber every season to the point where he is practically braindead during the last few seasons would be a close second. I think they went overboard with Monicas ocd during the last few seasons as well. She's probably my second favourite after Chandler overall but she did become a bit obnoxious near the end.

TONGO 10-23-16 04:50 PM

Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rusher2366.jpg

seanc 10-23-16 05:01 PM

Ross and Rachel bothers me for sure. The break up is funny but the rest is annoying. Stinks too because they got the Monica and Chandler relationship so right. They are like a how to and how not to book for sitcom relationships.

My #1 by a mile is Nelly from the last couple seasons of The Office. She belongs on a show I would never dream of watching regularly, let alone loving.

Iroquois 10-23-16 09:19 PM

Spaced - I never really liked Daisy.