Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scariest movie of all time (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=3528)

Beale the Rippe 01-10-03 08:37 PM

Scariest movie of all time

What do you think the scariest movie(s) of all time is (are)?

Holden Pike 01-10-03 09:32 PM

I don't get scared by movies. But probably the closest I've ever come over the age of ten was the perfectly understated and quite creepy ending of The Blair Witch Project (1999).

As for my all-time favorite movie in the "horror" genre, it's Rosemary's Baby (1968). But I wouldn't say it "scares" me.
http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews...arysBaby10.jpg
"What have you done to his eyes, you maniacs?!?"

Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will (1934), now THAT's some scary *****.

iluv2viddyfilms 01-10-03 09:46 PM

I agree with you HOlden about Rosemarry's Baby, but also another very scary Polanski film is Repulsion, which I would say is a little bit scarier.

Below those two I'd put the Shining.

LordSlaytan 01-10-03 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Holden Pike
I don't get scared by movies. But probably the closest I've ever come over the age of ten was the perfectly understated and quite creepy ending of The Blair Witch Project (1999).
I absolutely agree with you there. All the horror movies I've seen have not scared me, but The Blair Witch Project can still give me the creepy gooseflesh when I think about it. My second choice for genuine emotion would be John Carpenters The Thing, it is a movie that can really bring on the claustrophobic and tense feelings.

I've always loved Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and The Omens I & II as well. Movies like Freddy, Jason, and Michael don't really do it for me. Although Halloween is a classic.

Mr.Nemesis 01-11-03 07:06 AM

i watched the Exorcist when i was about 11, alone, late,on a cold, stormy and very windy night.needless to say, scared the absolute ***** out outta me.ive never seen the blair witch, to be honest, it looked like utter *****, which i still maintain to the day

AlexDeLarge 01-11-03 09:00 AM

Suspiria(1977) starring Jessica Harper is a scary flick for sure.

frutkake 01-11-03 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Mr.Nemesis
i watched the Exorcist when i was about 11, alone, late,on a cold, stormy and very windy night.needless to say, scared the absolute ***** out outta me.ive never seen the blair witch, to be honest, it looked like utter *****, which i still maintain to the day
You think thats bad, when Iwas 6 or 7 I was at a family friends decided to put the Exorcist.:eek:

Id never being scared so much by a movie. I had seen Evil Dead, freddy's movies and Jasons movie before the Exorcist but this one took the cake. Gave me nightmares for years!

g0dzer0 01-11-03 10:41 PM

the blair witch project is the worst movie i've ever seen, for christ sakes they cross the river and go back up the other side, its the stupidest movie i've ever seen, i wish it was lost in the depths of hell never to be viewed again, its horrible. its about as scary as the flavor of a breath mint.

LordSlaytan 01-11-03 11:17 PM

I never said it was scary, I said it was creepy. It is easily on my top ten movies of all time list. I love this movie! :yup:

Caitlyn 01-12-03 01:10 AM

The Exorcist still gives me the willies … The Shinning, The Entity, and Rosemary’s Baby were all pretty creepy too…

iluv2viddyfilms 01-12-03 02:03 AM

anyone ever see Repulsion?

MyRobotSuit 01-12-03 03:49 AM

I was never impressed by the 'power' of the Excorcist even when a friend of mine passed out in the cinema and bled from the eyes. (she is better now). I prefer movies which evoke reality rather than outwardly scare you.

However movies such as 'when a stranger calls' and ' Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark' did manage to curdle my blood when I was a halfling.

Actually the prospect of a third Harry Potter to rival the return of the king makes me sick.

MyRobotSuit 01-12-03 09:14 AM

I retract the Harry Potter statement as it's unfair and unjust.

Sorry Guys

AlexDeLarge 01-12-03 09:28 AM

Sure, I've seen Repulsion many times. It's a great Roman Polanski film. There's no doubt that Rosemary's Baby is his best work, but Ruthless Vampire Killers is my favorite film from him.

jamesglewisf 02-12-03 06:27 PM

Mine is The Shining.

Yoda 02-12-03 06:31 PM

I've never been more scared watching a movie than I was during The Ring. I can't think of any film which comes anywhere near it in terms of personally induced fright

Sexy Celebrity 02-12-03 07:28 PM

Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

flickchic 02-19-03 08:47 PM

Why is it that the only really good horror movies are ones that were made a while ago? The Shining (1980), The Exorcist (1973) and Psycho (1960)? (Those are the best I think). Over the last 10-15 years, there hasn't been any real suspensful, scary movies. A hell of a lot of teen, slash them up movies, but no quality scare the ***** out of you movies. Other then the Ring and maybe the Others, I have been bery disappointed lately.

Revenge of Mr M 02-21-03 08:14 AM

Generally, movies don't scare me, and I thought Blair Witch Project was utterly poor, but I do remember being quite scared by Silence of the Lambs. Having said that, I was only about seven or eight at the time.

notorious dmp 02-22-03 07:50 PM

Mine is the Ring

stupid movie scared me girl out of the theater! So we are going to see darkness falls to make it up, or make out.;)