Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Directors Who Started Strong, Then Went Downhill (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=66783)

matt72582 09-05-22 07:09 PM

Directors Who Started Strong, Then Went Downhill

Just my opinion (obviously), because I know that last movie is well-loved on IMDB, but I would go with Francois Truffaut. He made his best with his first one "400 Blows". His next one, "Shoot The Piano Player" was good, not great. "Jules and Jim" is decent, and then "Fahrenheit 451" and "Day For Night"

Pippo 09-05-22 09:03 PM

Re: Directors Who Started Strong, Then Went Downhill

Alex Garland? maybe
although he only made 3 movies, so it's too early to judge but the downward trend is there and it's apparent

Ex Machina - Great

Annihilation - OK/Good

Men - Rubbish

Thief 09-05-22 09:18 PM

John Carpenter

Ridley Scott?

Rob Reiner

John Dumbear 09-05-22 09:21 PM

M. Night Shyamalan ?

Daakmore 09-06-22 09:24 AM

Alex Proyas - started off so strong with The Crow and Dark City but it starts falling off really quick after that.

WrinkledMind 09-06-22 09:48 AM

As a Garden State fan I have to say Zach Braff.

Iroquois 09-06-22 10:05 AM

Kevin Smith

Mr Minio 09-06-22 02:40 PM

Dario Argento, Jing Wong, and... @Swan

AgrippinaX 09-07-22 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pippo (Post 2330347)
Alex Garland? maybe
although he only made 3 movies, so it's too early to judge but the downward trend is there and it's apparent

Ex Machina - Great

Annihilation - OK/Good

Men - Rubbish
I think Annihilation is gorgeous, but Men was, indeed, abysmal beyond belief. I can see how Annihilation can be seen as overly ambitious compared to the snappier Ex Machina, and it’s a fair point.

Torgo 09-07-22 02:40 PM

Michael RItchie. Just kidding.
I would say Neill Blomkamp. It's too bad his Alien project never got off the ground.

AgrippinaX 09-07-22 02:40 PM

I’m going to be fairly controversial and say Asghar Farhadi (though I’m still a huge fan, A Hero was not on par with the earlier stuff).

AgrippinaX 09-07-22 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2330892)
Michael RItchie. Just kidding.
I would say Neill Blomkamp. It's too bad his Alien project never got off the ground.
Agreed. Beast was pathetic by his standards (though fine on its own merits if you forget what he can make). Then again, I’m addicted to Sharlto Copley’s face, so…

Edit: ignore that, I’m losing it. Now, I’m glad he didn’t direct it! Thank God for small favours!

Torgo 09-07-22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2330895)
Agreed. Beast was pathetic by his standards (though fine on its own merits if you forget what he can make). Then again, I’m addicted to Sharlto Copley’s face, so…
Baltasar Kormákur directed Beast. That seems like something in Blomkamp's wheelhouse and Copley is basically his muse, so I don't blame you for mixing them up.
Speaking of Copley, you oughta check out Europa Report. He pulls off one of the more convincing American accents I've heard lately.

AgrippinaX 09-07-22 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2330897)
Baltasar Kormákur directed Beast. That seems like something in Blomkamp's wheelhouse and Copley is basically his muse, so I don't blame you for mixing them up.
Speaking of Copley, you oughta check out Europa Report. He pulls off one of the more convincing American accents I've heard lately.
How weird! The thing is that I… knew that? It just escaped my brain at the time when I wrote that post. Very Lynchian.

Yes, I have had an incredibly challenging week at work. :lol:

Torgo 09-07-22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2330899)
How weird! The thing is that I… knew that? It just escaped my brain at the time when I wrote that post. Very Lynchian.

Yes, I have had an incredibly challenging week at work. :lol:
Clearly, Copley addiction is no laughing matter. :p

https://i.imgur.com/8vL2NFz.gif

Siddon 09-07-22 03:02 PM

Steven Spielberg...it's been about 20 years since he did a masterpiece.

Francis Ford Coppola...had flashes of resurgence but after 83' it's been pretty rough

Brian De Palma....a wonderful filmmaker on an 0-8 run and the thing is the films could have been hits but he just kept missing the mark.

AgrippinaX 09-07-22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2330903)
Clearly, Copley addiction is no laughing matter. :p

https://i.imgur.com/8vL2NFz.gif
Ah. That was mean. I’m now very distracted.

And yes, Europa Report is great.