Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64212)

Hey Fredrick 06-29-21 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2216264)
I gotta say that some of the best movies I've seen are from the Personal Recommendations that I've joined. Cricket is a great host and I've enjoyed these more than even the main HoFs!....How's that for a plug:p
100%! The reason I love these PRHoF's is because all the movies are first time watches. As much as I love re-watching my favorite films there are some films where one viewing is enough (I'm looking at you "In a Glass Cage" ;)). The only downer about these HoF's is it's getting tough to pick movies from the MoFo lists for a few people without going with a blind nom or choosing a movie that you're pretty confident they won't enjoy.

I'm in for this one.

seanc 06-29-21 01:12 PM

I’m in

cricket 06-29-21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2216420)
I’m in
Don't forget to update your lists! I almost picked Knife in the Water again!

seanc 06-29-21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2216421)
Don't forget to update your lists! I almost picked Knife in the Water again!
I will get on it right when I get home. Sorry, knocked a few off the other day but obviously didn’t go deep enough.

cricket 06-29-21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2216436)
I will get on it right when I get home. Sorry, knocked a few off the other day but obviously didn’t go deep enough.
I noticed Given Word, Les Mis

seanc 06-29-21 04:32 PM

I should be updated everyone. Did find about a half dozen not marked.

Citizen Rules 06-29-21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2216489)
I should be updated everyone. Did find about a half dozen not marked.
Ohh! I hope it wasn't the one I already chose for you.

Citizen Rules 06-29-21 04:38 PM

Re: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Just checked...all good.

cricket 06-29-21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2216490)
Ohh! I hope it wasn't the one I already chose for you.
He said he marked off a half dozen. I had noticed 3 because he watched them on my rec. He loved them so much that he forgot he watched them immediately:p

Citizen Rules 06-29-21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2216508)
He said he marked off a half dozen. I had noticed 3 because he watched them on my rec. He loved them so much that he forgot he watched them immediately:p
Ha...I had already picked everyone's noms before this thread started...I'm that enthused!

Takoma11 06-29-21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2216346)
With all the movies you seem to watch, it's surprising how much you have available to choose from.
I have a huge list of "classic" films that either (1) have never interested me (Gone with the Wind), (2) I have read/heard SO MUCH about that I wanted to give some time to be able to come at them fresh (The Invisible Man), (3) Involve people that make the films an active turn-off (1970s Nosferatu), or I've just never gotten around to (I know I should watch The Conformist I KNOW YA'LL!).

cricket 06-29-21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2216544)
I have a huge list of "classic" films that either (1) have never interested me (Gone with the Wind), (2) I have read/heard SO MUCH about that I wanted to give some time to be able to come at them fresh (The Invisible Man), (3) Involve people that make the films an active turn-off (1970s Nosferatu), or I've just never gotten around to (I know I should watch The Conformist I KNOW YA'LL!).
I wouldn't pick Nosferatu for you anyway, but if I would I wouldn't pick it for you for suspected animal cruelty. It wouldn't have occurred to me that you were anti-Herzog.

Wyldesyde19 06-29-21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2216550)
I wouldn't pick Nosferatu for you anyway, but if I would I wouldn't pick it for you for suspected animal cruelty. It wouldn't have occurred to me that you were anti-Herzog.
Anti Kinski I would think.

cricket 06-29-21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2216552)
Ahhhhhh

Wyldesyde19 06-29-21 06:40 PM

For those who aren’t aware, Kinski has been alleged to have sexually assaulted his oldest daughter.

Citizen Rules 06-29-21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2216544)
I'm trying to get a handle on what everyone likes/dislikes in the Personal Rec....that way I can win again;) Seriously I want to give everyone films that they will love or at least like. Can you expand a bit on why some classic films like GWTW don't interest you? It's cool that they don't, I just want to make a good choice for you.

rauldc14 06-29-21 09:26 PM

Re: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

I'm in guys!

Takoma11 06-29-21 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2216552)
Correct. Especially coming off of a school year with a student being abused by a parent and no one doing anything about it.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2216559)
I'm trying to get a handle on what everyone likes/dislikes in the Personal Rec....that way I can win again;) Seriously I want to give everyone films that they will love or at least like. Can you expand a bit on why some classic films like GWTW don't interest you? It's cool that they don't, I just want to make a good choice for you.
I don't know, honestly. My reaction to it has always just been "eh." I'm not a big fan of any of the actors involved, I don't find the plot description all that compelling, it has a really long run time. (Sorry if that sounds shallow, but I'm talking about what draws me to a film, not how I actually judge a film's worth). I will say that the stills I've seen of it are gorgeous, but as with Barry Lyndon, pretty ain't gonna keep me happy for 3 hours.

But I go into everything with as much of an open mind as possible. The poster for Cranes Are Flying kept me away from it for a while and I loved it. In fact, discovering that something I thought I'd find just medium is actually really great is a wonderful feeling. If there's a classic you're head over heels for, recommend it!

Citizen Rules 06-29-21 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2216592)
Correct. Especially coming off of a school year with a student being abused by a parent and no one doing anything about it.

I don't know, honestly. My reaction to it has always just been "eh." I'm not a big fan of any of the actors involved, I don't find the plot description all that compelling, it has a really long run time. (Sorry if that sounds shallow, but I'm talking about what draws me to a film, not how I actually judge a film's worth). I will say that the stills I've seen of it are gorgeous, but as with Barry Lyndon, pretty ain't gonna keep me happy for 3 hours.

But I go into everything with as much of an open mind as possible. The poster for Cranes Are Flying kept me away from it for a while and I loved it. In fact, discovering that something I thought I'd find just medium is actually really great is a wonderful feeling. If there's a classic you're head over heels for, recommend it!
Thanks Takoma, that helps. I just changed your movie to a shorter and hopefully more upbeat film:)

Takoma11 06-29-21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2216615)
Thanks Takoma, that helps. I just changed your movie to a shorter and hopefully more upbeat film:)
I look forward to all the 65 minute, upbeat films I'm about to watch over the next month!