Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best Picture Hall of Fame Part 2 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60850)

rauldc14 02-04-20 10:42 PM

Best Picture Hall of Fame Part 2

https://drraa3ej68s2c.cloudfront.net...7a-770x443.jpg

https://www.biography.com/.image/ar_...gsley-1982.jpg
Gandhi (1982, Richard Attenborough)
Nominated by Citizen Rules

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/wp-...film-getty.jpg
Platoon (1986, Oliver Stone)
Nominated by Wyldesyde19

https://images.justwatch.com/backdro...440/unforgiven
Unforgiven (1992, Clint Eastwood)
Nominated by Siddon

https://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/images/...mfgK4k_600.jpg
Braveheart (1995, Mel Gibson)
Nominated by Rauldc14

https://www.latlong.net/photos/american-beauty.jpg
American Beauty (1999, Sam Mendes)
Nominated by Ahwell

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/b2b...pjpg&auto=webp
The Departed (2006, Martin Scorcese)
Nominated by Sarge

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/201...c-s800-c85.jpg
The King's Speech (2010, Tom Hooper)
Nominated by Edarsenal

Let's watch some Best Picture films and vote on what we think should be nominated in what is becoming a super deep Mofo Hall of Fame!

I have decided to not set a time cap on this one due to the limited number of nominations available. I also only ask that previous winners of other Hall of Fames aren't nominated. I'm not too concerned about repeat nominations from the first Best Picture Hall of Fame but keep in mind I'm expecting some repeat contestants this go around.

Off of the top of my head, The Apartment, The Godfather, Casablanca, The Sting, The Best Years of Our Lives, All Quiet on the Western Front, Dances with Wolves, West Side Story, Wings, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and It Happened One Night are ineligible.

Well that may be all of them. Let's have fun with this! We can talk about the competitors as well to make it fun!

Reviews

Ahwell LIST RECEIVED
Unforgiven
American Beauty
The King's Speech
Gandhi
Braveheart
The Departed
Platoon

Rauldc14 LIST RECEIVED
American Beauty
Braveheart
The King's Speech
Gandhi
The Departed
Platoon
Unforgiven

Wyldesyde19 LIST RECEIVED
Unforgiven
Platoon
The King's Speech
American Beauty
Gandhi
Braveheart
The Departed

Sarge LIST RECEIVED
American Beauty
Gandhi
The King's Speech
Platoon
Unforgiven
The Departed
Braveheart

Citizen Rules LIST RECEIVED
Unforgiven
Gandhi
The King's Speech
Braveheart
American Beauty
Platoon
The Departed

Siddon- LIST RECEIVED
Gandhi
The King's Speech
The Departed
American Beauty
Platoon
Unforgiven
Braveheart

Edarsenal
The Departed
Platoon
Braveheart
The King's Speech

ahwell 02-04-20 11:04 PM

Re: Best Picture Hall of Fame Part 2

Sent in my nom! I was thinking I would go with a blind grab but thought, what the heck, I’ll just nominate something I know and love.

Citizen Rules 02-04-20 11:07 PM

I went with a blind nom. You guys can look at my MoFo Best Picture List (which is up to date) and see if you can guess my nom. I won't tell but maybe you guys have unused psychic abilities.;)

ahwell 02-04-20 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2063380)
I went with a blind nom. You guys can look at my MoFo Best Picture List (which is up to date) and see if you can guess my nom. I won't tell but maybe you guys have unused psychic abilities.;)
Any way you could link your lists? I’m on mobile and can’t find them.

Citizen Rules 02-04-20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2063384)
I meant the Lists link next to my avatar (the star icon).

Wyldesyde19 02-04-20 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2063380)
Unforgiven?
Sent mine in. Went with a favorite of mine.
There were 4 that I would have loved to nominate but they were all previous winners, so that helped narrow it down for me some. 😆

ahwell 02-04-20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2063386)
Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2063384)
I meant the Lists link next to my avatar (the star icon).
Yeah I know what you’re talking about but unfortunately on mobile you can’t access them and I don’t want to switch back on my phone since apparently there’s that issue with the layout right now. Sorry, didn’t mean to make this a hassle.

edarsenal 02-04-20 11:52 PM

I'm going with a blind grab as well regarding one I've been wanting to see.
And, of course, nom sent!

pahaK 02-05-20 12:53 AM

I'm going to skip this as my tastes rarely align with the Academy :D

Miss Vicky 02-05-20 02:44 AM

I know what film I would choose if I joined, but looking at the possible other nominees there are entirely too many films on that list that I'd rather get a root canal than rewatch or watch at all.

I think I may sit this one out.

Wyldesyde19 02-05-20 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2063408)
I know what film I would choose if I joined, but looking at the possible other nominees there are entirely too many films on that list that I'd rather get a root canal than rewatch or watch at all.

I think I may sit this one out.
If I had to guess, Gladiator would be your choice. I’ve read your review, and I know it’s a favorite of yours. It’s one of mine as well.
If not Gladiator, probably A Beautiful Mind?

Miss Vicky 02-05-20 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063412)
If I had to guess, Gladiator would be your choice. I’ve read your review, and I know it’s a favorite of yours. It’s one of mine as well.
I nominated Gladiator in the first Best Picture Hall of Fame, so I wouldn't choose it again. A Beautiful Mind is a very good movie, but it's never been a favorite so also not what I'd choose. You're on the right track in guessing films that star my favorite actors, though (and Russell Crowe is a big favorite of mine).

Wyldesyde19 02-05-20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2063414)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063412)
I nominated Gladiator in the first Best Picture Hall of Fame, so I wouldn't choose it again. A Beautiful Mind is a very good movie, but it's never been a favorite so also not what I'd choose. You're on the right track in guessing films that star my favorite actors, though (and Russell Crowe is a big favorite of mine).
Ah! I should have looked at the first one to see if you had. That’s my fault.
Hmmm. If I recall correctly, many of your reviews have had DiCaprio as a favorite.
The Departed?

Miss Vicky 02-05-20 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063415)
The Departed?
:yup:

Wyldesyde19 02-05-20 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2063416)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063415)
The Departed?
:yup:
That would have been a good one. Good movie.
I’ve read many of your reviews on your thread, but it’s hard to remember them all. I wasn’t quite sure if you had enjoyed The Departed or not.

Miss Vicky 02-05-20 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063417)
That would have been a good one. Good movie.
I’ve read many of your reviews on your thread, but it’s hard to remember them all. I wasn’t quite sure if you had enjoyed The Departed or not.
I had it at #18 the last time I did my personal top 100.

rauldc14 02-05-20 11:32 AM

Including myself we have 6 so far. Think this will be a nice little fun one!

Sarge 02-05-20 11:44 AM

Count me in

Citizen Rules 02-05-20 12:52 PM

7:up:

rauldc14 02-05-20 03:25 PM

I've locked my nomination in as well!

Wyldesyde19 02-06-20 02:46 AM

Going back over what’s ineligible, I saw you mentioned The Godfather, but I didn’t see it amongst any of the winners in any past HOF.
Unless I missed it somewhere?

rauldc14 02-06-20 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063704)
Going back over what’s ineligible, I saw you mentioned The Godfather, but I didn’t see it amongst any of the winners in any past HOF.
I guess I am wrong, but it's been nominated at least 2-3 times including the last best picture one.

Wyldesyde19 02-06-20 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2063711)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063704)
I guess I am wrong, but it's been nominated at least 2-3 times including the last best picture one.
Understood. It wouldn’t have changed my nominee regardless.
Are we still looking For one more person?
Anyone ask Comsicrunaway?

CosmicRunaway 02-06-20 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2063712)
Anyone ask Comsicrunaway?
I won't be joining this one for the same reason I didn't join the last one; there's an awful lot of Best Picture winners that I either didn't like, or just have little to no interest in seeing. Thanks for thinking about me though!

I also want to catch up on the major 2019 films I haven't seen yet before the deadline for the Film Awards, but I haven't managed to watch anything since the thread opened. I should really work on that before the Film Noir HoF gets up and running haha.

rauldc14 02-06-20 10:27 AM

One more would be ideal I would say

Citizen Rules 02-06-20 12:45 PM

I kinda thought The Godfather had won some HoF, but nope. I checked and here's the stats:

19th HoF
#2 The Godfather

Best Picture HoF
# 4 The Godfather

rauldc14 02-06-20 11:29 PM

If we can't get another one, does anyone object to me randomly picking one from a decade not represented? 8 just feels like a good number to me.

Citizen Rules 02-06-20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2063880)
If we can't get another one, does anyone object to me randomly picking one from a decade not represented? 8 just feels like a good number to me.
Why don't we beg someone to join first (@menition thing)? Maybe get a new member or someone who's never been in an Hof. I think if we give it a couple of days another person or two will join.

Wyldesyde19 02-06-20 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2063881)
Why don't we beg someone to join first (@menition thing)? Maybe get a new member or someone who's never been in an Hof. I think if we give it a couple of days another person or two will join.
I’m fine with just 7. But it’s up to you guys of course.

Citizen Rules 02-06-20 11:52 PM

I'm fine with 7 too. Besides I'm wanting to do the Film Noir which I've put on the backburner for this HoF. However if more people want to join that's a plus, so I hope they do:up:

edarsenal 02-07-20 12:41 AM

There's also the possibility of someone joining AFTER the nominations are revealed. So that may get us the #8, or even #9.

Siddon 02-07-20 07:13 AM

What decades have been represented?

Wyldesyde19 02-07-20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2063928)

What decades have been represented?
I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’m curious what is represented.

rauldc14 02-07-20 09:13 PM

That gives up too much. A reveal on Sunday...

edarsenal 02-08-20 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2064142)
That gives up too much. A reveal on Sunday...
And so it was written: God did rest on the seventh day, for He was dying to know The Reveal and did not want to miss any of it.
Here sayeth the Lord

basically

somewhat

rauldc14 02-09-20 07:29 PM

Are we ready for the 7 nominees?

ahwell 02-09-20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2064486)
Yes!

Wyldesyde19 02-09-20 07:46 PM

I am! 🙂

Citizen Rules 02-09-20 08:07 PM

Me three!

rauldc14 02-09-20 08:18 PM

Here are the 7! I will update the front page and add pictures after the ceremony!

Gandhi
Platoon
Unforgiven
Braveheart
American Beauty
The Departed
The King's Speech

Wyldesyde19 02-09-20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2064497)
Here are the 7! I will update the front page and add pictures after the ceremony!

Gandhi
Platoon
Unforgiven
Braveheart
American Beauty
The Departed
The King's Speech
Nice! I have seen all of these and even own 5 of them.

ahwell 02-09-20 08:34 PM

I’ve seen two of these, including my own nomination!

Are we allowed to say what our nomination is?

edarsenal 02-09-20 09:26 PM

Abso-toot-ley!

Pretty fun list! Seen five out of the seven and love the ones I've seen

Gandhi One of two I haven't seen, but often wanted to; so YAY
Platoon Loved this since I saw it at the theater. Been a while, so definitely time for a revisit
Unforgiven VERY good Eastwood western that gives us a view into the gunslinger decades later
Braveheart Another HUGE favorite
American Beauty Another big favorite of mine. Seen it countless times. Very happy to see it again
The Departed While I do prefer the original Infernal Affairs from Hong Kong this is STILL a solid film.
The King's Speech This is my nomination and its a Blind Grab that I've been dying to see but just never had the chance.

Citizen Rules 02-09-20 10:32 PM

I've seen 5 of 7.

Gandhi
... My nom...and I've not seen it, but I love historical time period films so it might be to my liking.

Platoon
...I've always hoped we could do a HoF war series, one HoF for each major war conflict:eek: I've seen this before and liked it, even reviewed it. But that was a number of years ago so I'll rewatch it and review it without reading my old review.

Unforgiven...Seen it once, thought it was great. I was planning on watching it again so glad it was nominated here.

Braveheart...I've seen this several times, I use to love it, not sure what I'd think of it now.

American Beauty...Seen it once long ago, though it was good, I do like Kevin Spacey as an actor.

The Departed...Not seen it and I'm not a fan of Scorsese's crime films. Though I'm a fan of the director. I'm glad it was nominated.

The King's Speech...Seen it when it first came out, really liked it. Everybody who I told about it, loved it too.

Wyldesyde19 02-09-20 10:37 PM

Braveheart has a special place for me. It was the first Oscar watch for me and it helped me become the cinephile I am today

Sarge 02-10-20 04:59 AM

Some great films there. Excited by this

Gandhi Never seen it

Platoon Powerful film. One of the best war films that I have seen.

Unforgiven Another that I love. Superb from Clint, both sides of the camera.

Braveheart I liked this but have always had issues with the historical innacuracies and with Gibson and his anti English agenda. Another where the lead is also the director. Will try and watch with neautral eyes.

American Beauty Never really appealed to me but I know that it is highly rated. Not sure how recent revelations will affect my viewing.

The Departed :cool:

The King's Speech Great acting but found it a bit boring. We will see what I think this time.

Can't wait to get started.

Hey Fredrick 02-10-20 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064519)

Gandhi
... My nom...and I've not seen it, but I love historical time period films so it might be to my liking.[I.
I'm with you on those kinds of movies. Love 'em. Gandhi is often cited as one of the weaker BP winners and I don't get it. I thought it was one of the better ones and Kingsley is amazing. One of the best performances ever.

rauldc14 02-10-20 11:34 AM

I almost went blind nom with Mrs. Miniver. But I didn't want to be the only old nommer.

Braveheart is just so damn good IMO.

Miss Vicky 02-10-20 12:05 PM

Glad to see The Departed get nommed. I’m also glad I chose to sit this out and am not obligated to watch Braveheart or American Beauty again.

rauldc14 02-10-20 12:11 PM

I wouldn't have picked Braveheart if you were in though honestly.

rauldc14 02-10-20 12:12 PM

I would have went Rain Man, which you may hate even more :)

Miss Vicky 02-10-20 12:32 PM

I actually like Rain Man.

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2064501)
...Are we allowed to say what our nomination is?
Well me, Ed & Wyldesyde already did. So you might as well fess up:p

Originally Posted by Sarge (Post 2064554)

Braveheart
I liked this but have always had issues with the historical innacuracies and with Gibson and his anti English agenda. Another where the lead is also the director. Will try and watch with neautral eyes.
I never heard of Mel Gibson being accused of anti-Englishism, or did you mean his character in Braveheart?

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2064617)
I almost went blind nom with Mrs. Miniver. But I didn't want to be the only old nommer.
I wish you would've I love that movie.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2064635)
I actually like Rain Man.
I'm surprised by that, I would've though you would have found Dustin Hoffman annoying.

Sarge 02-10-20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064660)
Well me, Ed & Wyldesyde already did. So you might as well fess up:p

I never heard of Mel Gibson being accused of anti-Englishism, or did you mean his character in Braveheart?

I wish you would've I love that movie.

I'm surprised by that, I would've though you would have found Dustin Hoffman annoying.
I am certain that if he could have gave the Roman soldiers in the Passion of the Christ English accents he would have.

In all seriousness, It was largely tongue in cheek but with Braveheart, closely followed by the Patriot he just took it upon himself to show how nasty the English were. He of course does have a point.

The historical innacuracies of Braveheart though are not something I can overlook. Yes its a good film, but the fact he uses real people and real events and shows no faithfulness to history, didn't sit well with me. He could have just made characters up instead.

ahwell 02-10-20 01:41 PM

My nomination was American Beauty, and of the nominations I’ve seen only that and Unforgiven.

Wyldesyde19 02-10-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064660)
Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2064501)
...Are we allowed to say what our nomination is?
Well me, Ed & Wyldesyde already did. So you might as well fess up:p.
I haven’t confessed yet actually. 😜
Platoon is my pick however

Miss Vicky 02-10-20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2064670)
My nomination was American Beauty, and of the nominations I’ve seen only that and Unforgiven.
I've seen all of them, but I remember almost nothing about Ghandi because I had to watch that back in high school and haven't seen it since.

I love The Departed, hate Braveheart, dislike American Beauty, and am fairly indifferent to the rest. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how The Departed fares.

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sarge (Post 2064665)
I am certain that if he could have gave the Roman soldiers in the Passion of the Christ English accents he would have.

In all seriousness, It was largely tongue in cheek but with Braveheart, closely followed by the Patriot he just took it upon himself to show how nasty the English were. He of course does have a point.

The historical innacuracies of Braveheart though are not something I can overlook. Yes its a good film, but the fact he uses real people and real events and shows no faithfulness to history, didn't sit well with me. He could have just made characters up instead.
Ack, that sounds like nationalism. Somewhere in Oz there's another guy on another movie board complaining about some British actor and his accent.

rauldc14 02-10-20 01:51 PM

This time around I'll also be comparing the winners to their nominees from the same year, just for a nice spark and debate.

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2064681)
This time around I'll also be comparing the winners to their nominees from the same year, just for a nice spark and debate.
Weren't you going to post the movie posters and who nominated them? Or did I miss that post.

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064674)
...my bad. I though Braveheart was yours.

rauldc14 02-10-20 02:01 PM

Yeah I've just slacked pretty hardcore :p

Wyldesyde19 02-10-20 02:03 PM

I have seen all of these already. A few notes:

Gandhi: first time I tried watching this I turned sit off because I found in boring. Made a second attempt a few years laters and managed to finish it. Kingsley is great in this, but’s it stuffy, and filmed at a glacial pace. Will rewatch.

Platoon: one of my all time top films and my nomination.

Unforgiven: also one of my all time favorites. I nearly nominated this film but decided to leave it for the Western HOF 3 we had been discussing. Won’t nominate it there now. 😜

Braveheart: also love this movie. Everyone mentions the historical innacuracies, but one must remember that we’re not going to a movie for a history lesson. Artistic liberties are expected. as long as it’s not driven by an agenda, and I don’t think it was here.

American Beauty: really love this movie despite what happened with Spacey. I’ve learned long ago to separate a film from a persons personal life. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to enjoy Sinatra’s films. (That guy was a piece of work)

The Departed: I really enjoyed this movie, saw it twice in the theatre. Always thought the script was overwritten. Despite how much I enjoyed it, It’s a shame Marty won for this over his more impressive works. Basically a career achievement.

The King's Speech: saw this in the theatre as well. Liked the story and the acting. Been meaning to rewatch it to see how it holds up.

Wyldesyde19 02-10-20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064683)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064674)
...my bad. I though Braveheart was yours.
It’s all good.

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064688)
...we’re not going to a movie for a history lesson....
I’ve learned long ago to separate a film from a persons personal life...
:yup: I agree with both of those. That's why I like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, seriously, I like that movie. Despite the fact that Lincoln never chopped up that many vampires in his life!

Wyldesyde19 02-10-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064693)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064688)
...we’re not going to a movie for a history lesson....
I’ve learned long ago to separate a film from a persons personal life...
:yup: I agree with both of those. That's why I like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, seriously, I like that movie. Despite the fact that Lincoln never chopped up that many vampires in his life!
Are we sure he didn’t? 😏

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064694)
Are we sure he didn’t? 😏
Have you seen it? It's a blast, cheesy as all hell, but deliciously so.

Wyldesyde19 02-10-20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064701)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064694)
Are we sure he didn’t? 😏
Have you seen it? It's a blast, cheesy as all hell, but deliciously so.
I haven’t yet. I remember seeing the books years ago and remarking to my brother “I bet they make a movie out of that.” Lo and behold....

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064703)
I haven’t yet. I remember seeing the books years ago and remarking to my brother “I bet they make a movie out of that.” Lo and behold....
I'm still waiting to see this one
FDR: American Badass! (2012)

rauldc14 02-10-20 03:24 PM

I've seen 5 of the 7. Will rewatch them all as I always do.

Gandhi and The King's Speech are my two blind spots here.

I'll open it off with American Beauty since that's on Netflix. I own Braveheart, Unforgiven, Departed and Platoon.

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 03:36 PM

Who nominated Unforgiven? I read the thread again, but didn't see who it was.

Gandhi - CR
Platoon - Wyldesyde
Unforgiven
Braveheart - Raul
American Beauty - Ahwell
The Departed - Sarge
The King's Speech - Edarsenal

rauldc14 02-10-20 03:37 PM

Siddon for Unforgiven

John-Connor 02-10-20 03:45 PM

Seen 'em all, if it was the other way around I would've joined.
Strong nominations, I would rank them:

1. Braveheart
  2. Unforgiven
  3. American Beauty
  4. The Departed
  5. Platoon
  6. The King's Speech
  7. Gandhi

I'll be rooting for Braveheart.:joaquin:

Sarge 02-10-20 05:32 PM

Be interesting to see if my opinions on how I currently rank these films changes on viewing.

I am going into it with the intention of being as open minded as possible.

cricket 02-10-20 05:56 PM

1. American Beauty
2. Unforgiven

Both masterpieces to me

Braveheart, The Departed, and Platoon are all right there too just a shade under the other two.

Saw The King's Speech recently and just thought it was decent.

Gandhi is already in my queue and I'll try to get to it before this is over.

cricket 02-10-20 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Notice my second email-

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 06:45 PM

I don't get it?

cricket 02-10-20 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064789)
I don't get it?
I've been using Lester Burnham's name as an alternate email for several years.

Wyldesyde19 02-10-20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2064793)
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2064789)
I don't get it?
I've been using Lester Burnham's name as an alternate email for several years.
Name of Spaceys character from American Beauty

Citizen Rules 02-10-20 07:19 PM

Oh OK, I get it now:D

edarsenal 02-10-20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2064617)

Braveheart is just so damn good IMO.
I was considering Mrs. Miniver as a blind grab as well lol

ahwell 02-10-20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2064823)
I was considering Mrs. Miniver as a blind grab as well lol
Wow, so was I!!!

Just kidding. But what I was considering was a blind grab, Gone With the Wind. It technically was under the usual time limit, but I just wasn't sure if everyone would hate me for nominating it:D

edarsenal 02-10-20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2064681)
Cool! That was a lot of fun last time

edarsenal 02-10-20 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2064826)
Wow, so was I!!!

Just kidding. But what I was considering was a blind grab, Gone With the Wind. It technically was under the usual time limit, but I just wasn't sure if everyone would hate me for nominating it:D
ya know, I haven't seen that since I was a pup. I'd be curious to see how I felt about it now. Pretty sure I'd still enjoy Clark Gable being his roguish self.

ahwell 02-10-20 08:14 PM

Unforgiven

Unforgiven blew me away with it's fascinating characters, dark and gritty tone, and morally complex plot. The story is twisted and often disturbing, and we often switch between which characters we're rooting for.

Violence plays such a huge role in this movie, and Clint Eastwood handles it beautifully. Violence of all types is shown, often brutal, and Eastwood's messages about the dangerous cycle of it all are only too prevalent.

Because that is exactly what this movie is about. A cycle of never-ending violence in the Old West, and in our modern culture too. Not just violence, but toxicity. One prostitute's face is cut up, so the rest of the prostitutes offer a reward for killing the cowboys that did it. That sets off a whole new turn of bloodshed, ending in the loss of many innocent lives.

That ending scene is tragic and powerful. I don't think we're supposed to sympathize with any character in the movie, other than perhaps some of the prostitutes. Most of the male characters are toxic and evil, and Clint's character - while quiet and often contemplative - did kill many in his youth and in the end he goes on one last spree. What was it? Did he not feel redeemed for giving up violence? Had he had enough and just decided to shoot away, angry at the loss of his friend? His brutal murders at the end bring this epic tale to a close with more melancholy than I've ever seen in a Western.

And, yes this is totally "The Irishman" for Eastwood. Remember, this was the last Western he ever acted in. It brings an end to an era, and Clint knew his time as an actor was waning.

This movie I just think is way more relevant and important today than people give it credit for. Pretty much by and far the best Western I've ever seen.

+

rauldc14 02-10-20 09:00 PM

American Beauty

https://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/...SIECQSDSME.jpg

This was my second watch of the film and I'm pretty positive my first viewing was about 10 years ago when I first joined Mofo, or perhaps just a tad bit before that.

It's one of those films that I wish I loved, but yet I strangely do like it. There are so many ways to interpret the film and there is a lot of strange things going on but that makes it to be a bit of an adventure.

Kevin Spacey was very good as Lester Burnham and I won't let what he's become cloud my judgement on that. Actually all of the performances are quite good. It's weird that Thora Birch didn't become a big deal after Hocus Pocus and this. Perhaps Annette Bennings best performance too and got to like Chris Cooper. On a side note, I never knew Allison Janney was in this either!

I'm divided on that ending sequence and how I feel about it and whether it was the right way to end the film, but I think it was meant to make the viewer feel a bit uneasy and it succeeded with that. Also love the overall subtle humor in some of the scenes, usually with Spacey.

The plastic bag scene seems to strangely connect with me. I've often found beauty in this world with the strangest things.

The best thing is that Thomas Newman score. Simply beautiful and among the best in film history certainly!

Feel like I'm underrating it a bit but...

cricket 02-10-20 09:11 PM

The plastic bag scene is perhaps the most talked about in the movie. Yet for me, it's the only scene in the movie that's a dead spot.

rauldc14 02-10-20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2064845)
The plastic bag scene is perhaps the most talked about in the movie. Yet for me, it's the only scene in the movie that's a dead spot.
What scenes hit you then?

cricket 02-10-20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2064847)
What scenes hit you then?
Well most of all I feel that I can identify with Lester, except with how he lusts after a young girl. Besides that, he might be my favorite character ever. I think much of the movie is hysterical and I find it very relatable.

edarsenal 02-10-20 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2064872)
Well most of all I feel that I can identify with Lester, except with how he lusts after a young girl. Besides that, he might be my favorite character ever. I think much of the movie is hysterical and I find it very relatable.
I know exactly what you mean about being relatable. Especially when it came to Lester. Those vulnerable moments. That need to breakout of the "norm" and just be your own person. Most of us stay stuck. Ya know.
And like you said, there is some hysterical bits in that film.

Wyldesyde19 02-11-20 02:29 AM

Unforgiven

Will Munny: It’s a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he’s got...and everything he’s ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: yeah, well I guess they had it comin’.
Munny: we all have it coming’, kid.

Never has a sentence managed to catch the essence of a film so deeply.
Unforgiven is a tale of a former gunman, William Munny, played amazingly by Eastwood, who h see tired and cleaned up in his old age. He’s convinced to take one last job by his old partner, also played magnificently by Morgan Freeman.
Munny’s struggle with his past, both internally and externally, makes him wonder if he has indeed reformed, and wonders if his last sins will catch up to him.
Waiting for him is the town sheriff, Little Bill Dagget, played with icy contempt in yet another brilliant performance by Gene Hackman, in a role that netted him his second Oscar. In many ways, Munny and Little Bill are much alike, except Munny is aware of his actions. Little Bill believes the ends justify the means.
In the end, they meet in a climax that amazes me with its simplicity.
Munny is all too aware of his shortcomings, and eventually comes to accept who he is, and his nature. There is a great exchange between the two of them that highlights their differences in how they see each themselves.
Dagget: I don’t deserve this. I was building a house.
Munny: Deserves got nothing to do with it.
Dagget: I’ll see you in hell.
Munny: Yeah......

Munny has accepted who he is, who he was, and who he will always be. Little Bill continues to deny any wrong doing. Even at the end of the film.

A true classic. Thank you Siddon for the nomination. Seeing it for the likely 20th time, it never ages for me. Even after having first watched this back during a typical day after HS over 20 years ago on a VHS tape. My, how time flies. And much like the film was for Eastwood, nostalgia sets in.

edarsenal 02-11-20 01:30 PM

nice write up, Wylde. Been a while since I've seen The Unforgiven AND it'll double as a rewatch for my Western List. Gotta like that!

Wyldesyde19 02-11-20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2065028)
nice write up, Wylde. Been a while since I've seen The Unforgiven AND it'll double as a rewatch for my Western List. Gotta like that!
I almost nominated it for this, but then I figured I might for the Western HOF 3 if it wasn’t by anyone else.

Siddon 02-11-20 02:55 PM

Pity we didn't get the Mrs Miniver/American Beauty double feature.

Anyways the films on my shortlist

Sunrise(1927)
Cavalcade (1932)
The Life of Emile Zola (1937)
You Can't Take it With You (1938)
Mrs Miniver (1942)
Going my Way (1944)
The Godfather Part II (1974) (I nom'd Godfather I last time)
The Last Emperor (1987) (I considered Citizen Rules might have picked this one)
The Silence of the Lambs (which was tracking to win the last one)
Braveheart

I decided to go with Unforgiven as it's a film I've been meaning to revisit and I wanted to figure out where it will line up on my Western list.

Citizen Rules 02-11-20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2065054)
Pity we didn't get the Mrs Miniver/American Beauty double feature.

Anyways the films on my shortlist

Sunrise(1927)
Cavalcade (1932)
The Life of Emile Zola (1937)
You Can't Take it With You (1938)
Mrs Miniver (1942)
Going my Way (1944)
The Godfather Part II (1974) (I nom'd Godfather I last time)
The Last Emperor (1987) (I considered Citizen Rules might have picked this one)
The Silence of the Lambs (which was tracking to win the last one)
Braveheart

I decided to go with Unforgiven as it's a film I've been meaning to revisit and I wanted to figure out where it will line up on my Western list.
Good guessing, yes I had seriously considered The Last Emperor. It's not crossed off my MoFo list, but I have seen it...but so long ago that I do want to rewatch it.

gbgoodies 02-11-20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064926)
Unforgiven

Unforgiven is a tale of a former gunman, William Munny, played amazingly by Eastwood, who h see tired and cleaned up in his old age. He’s convinced to take one last job by his old partner, also played magnificently by Morgan Freeman.
Munny’s struggle with his past, both internally and externally, makes him wonder if he has indeed reformed, and wonders if his last sins will catch up to him.

Great review, but I have one question. You mentioned that Eastwood's character is convinced by Freeman's character to take one last job. Am I remembering wrong, or is that backwards? Didn't Eastwood character take the job first, and then ask Freeman's character to join him?

Wyldesyde19 02-11-20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2065174)
Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2064926)
Unforgiven

Great review, but I have one question. You mentioned that Eastwood's character is convinced by Freeman's character to take one last job. Am I remembering wrong, or is that backwards? Didn't Eastwood character take the job first, and then ask Freeman's character to join him?

You’re right, it was the Schofield Kid who convinced him, and he convinced Freeman in return. Thank you for the catch

rauldc14 02-12-20 02:40 PM

My possible other nominations:

Rain Man
Mrs. Miniver (blind nom)
The Artist (only seen once)
From Here to Eternity

Citizen Rules 02-12-20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2065361)
My possible other nominations:

Rain Man
Mrs. Miniver (blind nom)
The Artist (only seen once)
From Here to Eternity
Those would've all been great to see. My other possible noms were:
The Life of Émile Zola
Hamlet
Terms of Endearment
The Last Emperor

Midnight Cowboy

edarsenal 02-12-20 05:19 PM