Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Kathy Griffin's Head (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=49485)

Sexy Celebrity 05-31-17 09:04 PM

Kathy Griffin's Head

Kathy Griffin's Head

Stirchley 05-31-17 09:19 PM

Re: Kathy Griffin's Head

Zero thoughts on the matter.

mark f 05-31-17 09:29 PM

I'm one of the ones who doesn't see the problem with it. It could be anyone alive's (or dead's) head (including my family members) and it wouldn't bother me. I understand it's art. However, it did need to be somehow restricted in who could see it. Kids and gentle souls should not have it on their phones, internet or TV

Dani8 05-31-17 09:35 PM

I think it goes too far. What's it even supposed to mean. I don't know who she is but my impression so far is that she's a dick head attention seeker.

cricket 05-31-17 09:46 PM

I don't know why she ever made it to the spotlight anyway.

dadgumblah 05-31-17 09:52 PM

Never liked her. I remember a time (in the 60's) when you didn't do a threatening pic of the President or say anything that might be construed as a threat for fear of someone from the government contacting you. Times have certainly changed.

I believe in free speech but, regardless, the context of what you say freely could get you in trouble. Griffin has always crossed the line and nobody's really complained---they just talked about it. I remember the past several years with her doing the New Year's coverage in Time's Square with Anderson Cooper and she always crosses the line, it makes the news, but then nothing else happens. And she reappears constantly. I don't know what effect this firing from CNN will have on her career. Despite her "apology," I'm sure she'll be onstage somewhere or on a talk show and take back the apology. I wish her no harm...she just makes me ill.

Wplains 05-31-17 10:09 PM

I think it's in extreme bad taste. To tell you the truth, I don't know which is more disturbing: the fake, bloody Trump head or her extremely ugly zombie face.

Dani8 05-31-17 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1710696)
She looks like she's joined ISIS.

Exactly! Pretty moronic.

Steve Freeling 05-31-17 10:40 PM

I busted a gut laughing.

Dani8 05-31-17 10:42 PM

Woah Melania has gone after her now. Their son was watching at the time and thought his dad was dead. Poor Poor taste. She's washed up for good I would think.

Dani8 05-31-17 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1710717)
I kinda doubt that, though. Sure, she may have lost the CNN gig, but I bet people will still love her. She hates Trump. She did something "shocking." She's gonna have people still on her side. They'll turn her into a hero.

I have no idea if she's funny because I just don't know who she is. Just laughing that she pissed off Melania. I think she'd be a force to contend with pissed off that some silly bitch freaked out her son. Gloves are off, I say. Slap down imminent.

Swan 05-31-17 10:50 PM

Oh come on, it's just a bloody decapitated head. Hasn't anyone seen a bloody decapitated head before?

;)

mark f 05-31-17 10:53 PM

Exactly.

Payday12 05-31-17 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1710717)
I kinda doubt that, though. Sure, she may have lost the CNN gig, but I bet people will still love her. She hates Trump. She did something "shocking." She's gonna have people still on her side. They'll turn her into a hero.
Yep. The liberal Hollywood establishment probably already got a check in the mail for her.

Captain Steel 05-31-17 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1710692)
I don't know why she ever made it to the spotlight anyway.
I second this. I've never liked her and she's one of those people who has always made me wonder how or why did she get where she is as she's never displayed any talent and is not a good comedienne. Her entire schtick seems to be trying to use largely shock humor to encourage the PC sheeple to become more offended (heck, even Christian-hating leftists like Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopsie Goldberg had some funny stand up material in their day and displayed some acting ability).

But I will say that Kathy Griffin has just advanced her career into mega-stardom. Sure, she just got fired from a couple good gigs she had over this, but she'll now have the talk show circuit, movie deals from Hollywood leftists, and millions of new Trump-hating fans who will welcome her as a speaker. (Within a couple years she'll probably be giving commencement speeches at certain universities for a half million a pop!)

The "limelight" in the entertainment media has become not about how good or talented you are, but how much attention you can get for opposing traditional values - and the more distasteful, disgusting or dirty the action, the more fame and fortune you receive.

Captain Steel 06-01-17 12:05 AM

I had to look up the photo... and it's pretty awful as it's quite realistic looking.

I'm even a fan of gross-out humor, but there's not even anything goofy, cartoonish or ironic about it to make it in any way humorous.

I can't imagine if anyone had done this with Obama - or what the backlash would have been. I became quite a critic of some of Obama's policies over the years - yet I wouldn't find a photo of anyone holding an effigy of his bloody and severed head funny. In fact, liking the President of the U.S. or not, I'd find it threatening, vulgar and seditious.

I'm all for political humor and poking fun at our leaders - it's become part of our culture - but I don't see the joke here.

I remember Chevy Chase doing pratfalls as Gerald Ford. The joke of Ford's clumsiness (based entirely on only a couple incidents, btw, after all, the man been an acclaimed college athlete and an instructor in the U.S. Navy) wasn't even that funny.
But what was funny was that Chase - who had a full head of hair (with a 1970's hairdo), was probably a good foot taller than Ford, was much younger - looked absolutely nothing like Gerald Ford, nor did they try to do anything to make him resemble Ford in any way whatsoever. It was that odd juxtaposition of they just weren't going to make any attempt to make this tall, young, long-haired (comparatively) comedian look anything like Ford that added to the anomalous nature of the humor.

mark f 06-01-17 12:14 AM

Covfefe you.

Iroquois 06-01-17 02:44 AM

Not the first time I've seen a head of state get fake-decapitated for a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0slByG0zU4

Wplains 06-01-17 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1710766)

I can't imagine if anyone had done this with Obama - or what the backlash would have been. I became quite a critic of some of Obama's policies over the years - yet I wouldn't find a photo of anyone holding an effigy of his bloody and severed head funny. In fact, liking the President of the U.S. or not, I'd find it threatening, vulgar and seditious.
Yeah, can imagine the enormous backlash if anyone has done this with Obama. Huge double standard operating here.

It also seems extremely disrespectful to the people who were murdered this way by terrorists. I don't think their families and friends would find it a laughing matter. And gee, let's all have a good laugh at an 11-year old boy who thought his Dad had been killed. Now that really is the cherry on the cake ....disgusting!

Iroquois 06-01-17 05:55 AM

You mean like all the times that Obama effigies were hanged and torched?