Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   how to get to doubledenim (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=42754)

doubledenim 08-25-15 04:54 PM

how to get to doubledenim

http://i.imgur.com/h6Uo5te.png

When I look back on my life, I often see memories intertwined with music. These are not favorites or most hated, but memories. What lies ahead is a timeline from the very beginning.

doubledenim 08-25-15 05:09 PM

http://i.imgur.com/bEVkSn5.png?1

What is the worst thing a young girl could ever ask for? A little brother. My sister has never forgiven my parents for this and it's the only caveat to her having a wonderful childhood.

Some of the earliest things I can think of, consist of me rummaging through her stuff, sniffing Strawberry Shortcake, and playing records on a small blue and white pinstriped record player. Thriller was one of the few I remember her owning, due in part to it being a law back then.

Oh the days before Michael Jackson was Michael Jackson. Vincent Price's voice, the seeds of Eddie being sown into my subconscious, and being confounded by why this Billie Jean would do such a thing. The image of that white suit, jheri curls, and a lion cub, will never leave me.

honeykid 08-25-15 07:06 PM

Re: how to get to doubledenim

Bring it on, DD.

I remember buying that album, too. Got it from the market for £5 in 1985, I think it was. I've listened to that albums dozens of times. Probably over a hundred, though I couldn't say it was in the hundreds.

doubledenim 08-25-15 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1375665)
I've listened to that albums dozens of times.
It was either that or these little Disney read-a-long books with a 45 record.

SilentVamp 08-25-15 07:51 PM

It was the first LP that I owned. I had a couple of 45's and tapes, but this was the first LP. A couple of my brothers had their own copies. Theirs were the only ones that I could listen to when they were listening to them. And then my mom saw it at a rummage sale (I am assuming those people bought it just because everyone else seemed to buy it and then they didn't like it). She bought it for me and I listened to it all the time.

gbgoodies 08-25-15 08:03 PM

This might shock some people, but even I bought Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album. (If that doesn't prove that everyone had a copy of it, then I don't know what would. :shrug: )

Sexy Celebrity 08-25-15 08:12 PM

Thriller meant a lot to my early childhood. I was obsessed with the song, the music video, etc. I had my own cassette tape of Thriller and my parents had a tape and the LP. It might be one reason why I got into horror films at such an early age.

cricket 08-25-15 08:27 PM

I was 14 when Thriller came out; it was bigger than anything I knew up to that point.

Citizen Rules 08-25-15 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1375721)
This might shock some people, but even I bought Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album. (If that doesn't prove that everyone had a copy of it, then I don't know what would. :shrug: )
Whoops I didn't have a copy of it....true story...one of the first albums I bought as a kid was The Jackson 5 Greatest Hits.

gbgoodies 08-25-15 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1375721)
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1375738)
Whoops I didn't have a copy of it....true story...one of the first albums I bought as a kid was The Jackson 5 Greatest Hits.

You're the exception that proves the rule. ;)

Michael Jackson 08-25-15 09:32 PM

I'm very touched that you all purchased my album in the '80s. Thank you. :homealone:

Swan 08-25-15 09:35 PM

I'd say you're Sexy, but that avatar is too blurry. Sexy would not have that.

Michael Jackson 08-25-15 09:44 PM

Is this better? I am dead now, unfortunately. I was an early victim of the so-called "Sexy Curse."

Swan 08-25-15 09:45 PM

Much better.

Gatsby 08-26-15 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Jackson (Post 1375799)
Is this better? I am dead now, unfortunately. I was an early victim of the so-called "Sexy Curse."
Still too black. Also, welcome to MoFo ya noob.

Now that you're dead I can insult you all I want. ;)

christine 08-26-15 03:29 AM

What a great idea for a thread DD :)

Always feel so much older than you guys when you talk about music more than films, but I remember being up with a crying baby watching the premiere of Thriller on tv. Fantastic it was. Still is.

honeykid 08-26-15 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by christine (Post 1375942)
What a great idea for a thread DD :)

Always feel so much older than you guys when you talk about music more than films, but I remember being up with a crying baby watching the premiere of Thriller on tv. Fantastic it was. Still is.
I snuck downstairs to record it. :D It was midnight, people! I think it was a school night, too. Not sure about that.

doubledenim 08-26-15 05:53 PM

Preschool was an interesting time in my life. Peer pressure was introduced in the form of the crayon eaters. I met a young lad who played with baby dolls, instead of the homoerotic He-Man figures that I adored. Always being confused why music time featured such tortuous beats as Camptown Races and the Hokie-Pokie. So many different things bombarding my tiny little mind.

In this sea of discovery and confusion, there was one constant. Everyday on the way to school, I would behoove my driver to play Elvira. I know what you're thinking...come on denim, cosplay wasn't really a thing back then. I know. I meant Elvira by the Oak Ridge Boys.

What about the other songs? Who cares. My heart was on fire for Elvira. I was mesmerized by what amounts to gibberish (which I was fluent in),

Giddy Up, Oom Poppa Oom Poppa Mow Mow.

I didn't bother posting any audio, it's not as good as nostalgia.

http://i.imgur.com/vaBiieC.png
since the internet was void of images pertinent to this article, I was reduced to using these poorly cropped images captured on top of an afghan...not a person, one of those things your grannie had.
Here's a little trivia for our viewers at home...

Phil Robertson and John Oates were founding members of the Oak Ridge Boys.

christine 08-26-15 06:07 PM

I love stories like this DD, great fun :D

gbgoodies 08-26-15 06:09 PM

BIG + rep for The Oak Ridge Boys :up:

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1376181)

[/center]
Here's a little trivia for our viewers at home...

Phil Robertson and John Oates were founding members of the Oak Ridge Boys.

You might want to add a smiley to that last line. (I assume you're joking about Phil Robertson and John Oates. :) )