Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pirates of the Caribbean: The Fountain of Youth (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=17420)

Aquadias 10-06-08 06:02 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Fountain of Youth

The staggering sum (US$56 million/AU$75 million) is the largest upfront payment in film history and will see Johnny, 45, move to the top of Hollywood's rich list - overtaking Will Smith - when he reprises his role as Captain Jack Sparrow. A source said: "It's a hell of a lot of money for one movie but there’s only one man who can play Captain Jack Sparrow - and that's Johnny Depp." "Pirates just wouldn't be the same without him, so they were more than willing to smash the record books to land Depp again. He's been the star of the show every time." Earlier this year, Will was named the highest earning actor in Hollywood by Forbes magazine after he grossed £40 million (US$70 million/AU$94 million) in one year. However, Johnny's new deal will see his earnings soar to £72 million (US$123 million/AU$165 million).The source added: "He's laughing all the way to the bank. Not only is he probably the biggest heartthrob in Hollywood, he's now going to be the richest." Johnny's co-stars in the first three films in the franchise, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, are unlikely to appear in the latest instalment.

Full Article:
http://www.aol.com.au/movies/story/j...631/index.html

Lennon 10-06-08 06:07 PM

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Fountain of Youth

EDIT: Now you edited it, now I just look like an idiot...

DeathDealer 10-06-08 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lennon (Post 467318)
Wow another fountain of info from Aquadias....
Whatever. Sarcasm doesn't work in this thread, so sorry Lennon. I say this because the only reason he posted so little information in this thread, is because there is no info on this film yet. I have worked in the film industry for quite some time now and I happen to understand that the only info for Pirates 4 would have to be the release date: 2012.

Here's some info:

IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/
Canmag - http://www.canmag.com/nw/12455-johnn...yout-pirates-4

Lennon 10-06-08 06:30 PM

He could have posted at least the supposed plot or that Depp is demanding a 56 million up front if he is to do it. I mean I'm just throwing ideas out here..

Sleezy 10-06-08 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lennon (Post 467325)
Depp is demanding a 56 million up front if he is to do it.
Is that true? Wow. While he's at it, he oughta demand a less stringent timetable on the film. They rushed the last two, and they suuuuuuucked.

Lennon 10-06-08 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sleezy (Post 467329)
Is that true? Wow. While he's at it, he oughta demand a less stringent timetable on the film. They rushed the last two, and they suuuuuuucked.
I heard that from DD's link. But rumours are that it will just be a Jack Sparrow spin-off

tramp 10-06-08 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sleezy (Post 467329)
I loved Dead Man's Chest. I thought it was great fun.

At World's End, otoh, had it problems. :laugh:

What really bothered me the most was that there is a supposed backstory of how Jack and the East India Company had crossed paths in the past and "left a scar on each other." That is the story I wish they had told.

There is so much they can do; let's hope they took the critical pounding they got to heart and give us a story that is entertaining but also makes some kind of sense. :)

Not sure about that sci-fi stuff in that link -- why not just tell a good pirate story without all that other stuff?

Sleezy 10-06-08 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by tramp (Post 467334)
Not sure about that sci-fi stuff in that link -- why not just tell a good pirate story without all that other stuff?
Because big-budget, summer blockbuster swine have tunnel vision, and equate over-the-top stupidness with things people want to pay to watch. And unfortunately, they're often right because the masses just can't say "no" to that funny, cleverly edited, effects-ridden blockbuster trailer they just saw before Beowulf.

It's a good thing landmine-detecting isn't a major job field.

Caitlyn 10-06-08 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by DeathDealer (Post 467321)
I have worked in the film industry for quite some time now and I happen to understand that the only info for Pirates 4 would have to be the release date: 2012.

Hmmm.... according to your profile, you're only 13 (soon to be 14)..... Birthday:10-18-1994... so... what do you consider "quite some time"? :p

Anyway, if it were me, considering the fact there is no more information on this film than there is, I wouldn't have bothered posting anything yet....

7thson 10-07-08 01:57 AM

Smoking gun?

TheUsualSuspect 10-07-08 04:20 PM

I heard that it was around 61-65 million that Depp would earn.

That would certainly rank him #1 in Hollywood.

imatomic 10-07-08 04:42 PM

he makes too much money

Uncle Jay 10-07-08 04:51 PM

Johnny Depp? $60-$65 million salary for acting? That doesn't sound right.

Doesn't Arnold Schwarzenegger hold the record at $30 million for Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines?

I'm talking flat rate here, not the combination rate with gross and profits! Because I know Tom Hanks has that!

Sleezy 10-07-08 05:56 PM

I thought Nicole Kidman was the highest paid actor/actress working today. Or is that just cumulative?

theotherheather 10-07-08 06:09 PM

I can't believe they're even bothering to make another one. Talk about milking it for all its worth.
Today on msn.com it mentioned Johnny's payment agreement. Its HUGE. Mega huge. But, still, four is a little too many. Three is the perfect number in my mind, and four is taking it just a little too far for my standards.

TheUsualSuspect 10-07-08 06:42 PM

I was shocked when I read it too, but I pretty sure it's 60-65 million up front.

Sleezy 10-07-08 06:46 PM

I think I'm more suprised that Johnny Depp is interested in doing a fourth installment of a franchise whose ship has sailed (okay, pun intended), but I seem to recall some years back that he said he thought he hadn't explored the full potential of the character. I'm not sure how deep Captain Jack Sparrow really ought to be, but I just think Depp loves playing that role. Which is pretty nice, if you think about it -- here's a guy who loses himself in the parts he plays, and you can just see in his performances that he's soaking up every second. I admire that. I envy that.

As bad as the sequels are, I'll contend that The Curse of the Black Pearl is easily an instant classic of modern cinema.

tramp 10-07-08 07:57 PM

I'll go see it. And I think I'm pretty picky, lol. I just happen to love this character that much. And yea, Johnny has said he loves this character and thinks there is more story to tell.

I also want them to make up for their mistakes and make the fourth film better than the third.

That salary is absurdly high, though. Of course, without Depp, there is no film.

n3wt 10-08-08 07:16 AM

Cool I do love the Pirates films and will look forward to seeing it.

Daffodil 10-09-08 02:51 AM

Meh, I'm over the Pirate films. :rolleyes: