Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Puppet experience? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60064)

ynwtf 09-14-19 09:55 PM

Puppet experience?

lol random, I know, but any of you have real experience building puppets? Particularly hand puppets with arms. Think Crank Yankers or Dr. Bunsen of The Muppet Show.

Bonus round:
Any experience with animatronics or Arduino and rotors like for controlling eyes and more complex facial gestures?

Captain Steel 09-14-19 10:41 PM

Re: Puppet experience?

All I know is that Yoda insists on puppetry! ;)

Chypmunk 09-15-19 04:43 AM

This might not count but I did once knit a sock puppet when I was a very small child and yes, to a fashion, it did have arms. I can't remember what it was actually supposed to be (probably a scarf or wooly hat, definitely not a jumpsuit or condom) and it only ended up being a sock puppet because my knitting was so horrendously bad that was the only thing it could feasibly be sewn as.

Didn't have no animatronics in it though.

I've not even held a knitting needle for nigh on five decades but reckon I could still probably guide you on how to knit one yerself if you like (iirc the secret lies in dropping stitches in a rather haphazard fashion even though the pattern might not call for any to be dropped).

Citizen Rules 09-15-19 01:23 PM

I use to hunt sock puppets, that's all I got:p

SeeingisBelieving 09-15-19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2035836)
lol random, I know, but any of you have real experience building puppets? Particularly hand puppets with arms. Think Crank Yankers or Dr. Bunsen of The Muppet Show.

Bonus round:
Any experience with animatronics or Arduino and rotors like for controlling eyes and more complex facial gestures?
Sadly not.

ynwtf 09-15-19 02:06 PM

lol.

SeeingisBelieving 09-15-19 02:14 PM

Although Yoda will tell you I insist on puppetry.

ynwtf 10-16-19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2035920)
I use to hunt sock puppets, that's all I got:p

waaaaaaait.
you hunted? puppets??
please elaborate!

I imagine an angry Orson Welles, drunk from 9 bottles of '78 vintage Paul Masson, stumbling along the Serengeti throwing wooden spears at sock puppets that are in search of water and seasonal mating grounds. All while he's in a dried grass skirt and a coconut bra for support.

Please tell me I'm right!?

:D

Chypmunk 10-16-19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2041956)
I imagine an angry Orson Welles, drunk from 9 bottles of '78 vintage Paul Masson, stumbling along the Serengeti throwing wooden spears at sock puppets that are in search of water and seasonal mating grounds. All while he's in a dried grass skirt and a coconut bra for support.
Why, oh why, oh why, is this not a movie already?????

ynwtf 10-16-19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2041957)
Why, oh why, oh why, is this not a movie already?????
Welles' he's dead, Jim.

Chypmunk 10-16-19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2041958)
Welles' he's dead, Jim.

Welles that's no reason not to make the movie, could always dig him up. Sure, some might remark that his acting's a bit stiff and that he does have a tendency to corpse but hey, what performer hasn't had that accusation levelled at them at some point or another.

ynwtf 10-17-19 01:53 PM

I still want a puppet. Custom puppets are EXPENSIVE. gosh.

=/

ynwtf 02-07-22 06:27 PM

Bump for great justice and the relatively new(ish) user base. I need puppets!!! still.

Captain Steel 02-07-22 06:51 PM

"Puppet experience" - can I use that for the title of my autobiography?

John Dumbear 02-07-22 08:10 PM

Too late to suggest an Orson Welles sock puppet?

MovieGal 02-07-22 09:54 PM

I have bought some from

http://www.thepuppetforge.com/

They come to Planet Comicon almost every year.

I have a red one with horns and flames on his body named Luc and a purple dragon named Drac.

doubledenim 02-07-22 11:40 PM

My worst nightmares featured puppets in the starring role.

CringeFest 02-08-22 03:37 PM

can any of you "throw your voice"?

ynwtf 02-08-22 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by CringeFest (Post 2280826)
can any of you "throw your voice"?

I practiced ventriloquism back in highschool years ago just using a handkerchief folded up like a rabbit head. Mostly for goofs and party tricks. Our parties were the church youth group type, so.

Now, I just want a proper puppet just cuz.

Rockatansky 02-08-22 06:19 PM

https://www.top10films.co.uk/img/mag...ny-hopkins.jpg
You want one like this?