Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   CD Tab (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=3338)

Monkeypunch 11-29-02 02:36 AM

CD Tab

Okay, we had the movie tab, and the DVD tab, and the Comix tab, so why not a CD tab? What have you recently bought CD-Wise?

Me, I just bought:

The Best of David Bowie - Not much needs to be said here, Bowie is a genius. "Ziggy Stardust" is one of my all time favorite songs...

The Donnas - Spend The Night - Hilariously trashy glam-metal-punk. (This album pretty much makes up for D Generation, the best band in this genre, breaking up....We need more bands like this.)

linespalsy 11-29-02 05:09 AM

recent finds:

klaus nomi-->european opera singer doing synth-pop covers of oldies. what more could you ask for?

shonen knife-->japanese female equivalent of the ramones! "bear up bison, never say die! he's on his way to ex-ti-n-ku-shu-u-n". yeah!

severed heads: since the accident--> rare australian electro-noise-pop-industrial goodness.

severed heads: come visit the big bigot; dead eyes opened-->yay! the severed heads rule. tom elard's solo career is waaaay better than his work with skinny puppy!

tom waits: the bone machine--> i dont wanna grow up! even better than the ramones cover! tom waits is the coolest thing since hillbillies!

tom waits: mule variations--> big in japan, eh?

tom waits: small change--> havent gotten around to listening to this one yet. i'm sure i'll love it when i do.

hmmm, i've gotten others recently, but cant remember what right now......

Naisy 11-29-02 05:17 AM

This should be in the Games, Tabs, Lists forum i reckon but since its here, i should say i supose that a new CD i have is:

Bryan Adams: LIVE LIVE LIVE

and i love it!

Piddzilla 11-29-02 08:04 AM

My most recent purchases:
  • "The Boatman's Call" - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Please, please, please, buy this cd! It's one of the best ever and just so f*cking beautiful...
  • "Burnin'" - The Wailers Great, but not one of their best. Cool bonustracks on this edition though...
  • "Headline News" - Capital Letters British reggae from the '70:s that I discovered in the store. A couple of killertracks but the rest was so so...
  • "Blood On the Tracks" - Bob Dylan A classic. Great lyrics, great melodies and great singing from The Man. His divorce-album, right?
  • "The Freewheelin'" - Bob Dylan Another classic and a must-have for you all. "Blowin' In the Wind", "A Hard Rain's A-gonna Fall", "Don't Think Twice, It's Allright"... Need I say more?
  • "Rumours" - Fleetwood Mac I'm a sucker for good melancholic melodies and there's plenty on this one. Their divorce-album...
  • "In Search of" - N.E.R.D. A bit of a disappointemnt really. "Rock Star" and "Lapdance" could save the night for any crappy dj but the rest is just average, I think. Cool idea though to first make an electronic album and then do the same album again but with "real" instruments. It's heavy!

Henry The Kid 11-30-02 12:01 AM

Recent?

Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Blind Melon - Soup
Led Zeppelin - 4 Disc Box set(GREATEST PURCHASE EVER!)
Pearl Jam - Riot Act(Letdown)

Favorites:

Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan
Blind Melon - Blind Melon
I, II, III, Zoso, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
Use Your Illusion I, II, and Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses
Ten - Pearl Jam
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts club Band, The White Album, Revolver - The Beatles
Walking into Clarksdale - Jimmy Page/Robert Plant

Monkeypunch 11-30-02 01:43 AM

Originally posted by Naisy
This should be in the Games, Tabs, Lists forum i reckon
Feel free to move it! I just put it in the TV and Music forum 'cause it seemed to belong there....

Ayways...

New Purchases:

System of a Down - Steal This Album! - 16 tracks that were left off Toxicity, but are good enough to be their own album. This is a must buy for fans of System of a Down and for people who just wanna hear some rock-on music. Most Highly Recommended!!

Kelly Osbourne - Shut Up - This album is a mess. It's amatuerish, the quality varies from song to song, Kelly reaches for notes that just don't exist....and I love it! I love awful rock records like this! It helps if you're a fan of The Osbournes TV show, because non- fans will probably use this CD as a drink coaster.....

Steve 11-30-02 03:00 PM

My last two purchases were on friday - Phrenology by The Roots and Quality by Talib Kweli.

Aniko 11-30-02 03:03 PM

Recent Purchases:

Keiko Matsui– The Ring
George Winston– December (20th Anniversery Edition)
Joe McBride– Texas Rhythm Club

There are other CD's I want for Christmas.

"Rumours" - Fleetwood Mac
Piddzilla...that's one of my all time favorite albums.

Kelly Osbourne -

non- fans will probably use this CD as a drink coaster.....
Monkeypunch...you make me laugh. :laugh:

Holden Pike 11-30-02 08:03 PM

The last CD I bought was Shut Up You Fu*king Baby!, David Cross' stand-up album, all recorded post 9-11-01. Good stuff.

jrs 12-01-02 01:01 AM

Just bought this afternoon -

8 Mile Soundtrack

Monkeypunch 12-02-02 01:52 AM

Smashing Pumpkins - Earphoria. The long awaited soundtrack to the now classic Pumpkins' "Authorized Bootleg" video documentary Viewphoria. Amazing stuff. All that's missing is the silly home movies about the band going to therapy and the segment about The Frogs!

Madonna - Die Another Day - Cd Single. I swear, if Madonna sounded anymore like Bjork, she'd be obligated to move to Iceland. :D Actually, This is probably the first Madonna song I've actually liked in a long time.

Piddzilla 12-02-02 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Aniko
Piddzilla...that's one of my all time favorite albums.

Really? Yeah, it's good, isn't it. It's perhaps not the cd with the highest coolness-factor in my collection, but as I said, I'm a sucker for melodies.

Do you guys have a song that you're almost too embarrassed to admit you love? Me and some of my friends always - ALWAYS - play "Africa" with Toto at four in the morning when we come home from the partying. The harmonies in that song, dude. And the drums and the bass... :love:

Monkeypunch 12-05-02 03:37 AM

Paul McCartney - Back in the U.S., Live 2002. This CD is just awe inspiring. Even now, in his 60's, Sir Paul McCartney does not disappoint. I couldn't get tickets to either of his shows when he came to Boston, but this is almost as good as being there, maybe better, since it seems that every concert I go to, I get beer or something spilled on me. EVERY TIME.:frustrated:

LordSlaytan 12-05-02 05:36 AM

"Oh Danny Boy" has a special place in my heart. :yup:

r3port3r66 12-05-02 01:13 PM

I just recieved Enigma--LSD, a collection of their greatest hits. The "Sadeness" re-mix is awesome.

Nikki 12-07-02 01:27 PM

Bounce..................Bon Jovi
U2 The Best of 1900-2000.........U2

Monkeypunch 12-13-02 02:49 AM

Gorillaz Vs. SpaceMonkeyz - Laika Come Home. Trippy dub remixes of several Gorillaz songs, with a guest appearance by the original singer for the Specials, Terry Hall. It makes me wanna dance. Really.:yup:

Also....

The Streets - Original Pirate Material. I can't even describe how good this is. It's like rap, ska, garage, techno, R&B, and so many other musical styles got into a fight with a snotty kid from the UK, and this is what came out. "Don't Mug Yourself" and "the Irony of it All" are the two best songs of 2002, bar none. Funny stuff, and quite brilliant.

linespalsy 12-19-02 03:25 AM

tom waits -franks wild years

going straight to the top, lol. i just played this cd for someone who said "er, sea shanty's = not my thing." i guess that means they are my thing , cause this cd is great. too much pump organ? no way -can there be such a thing?

Holden Pike 12-19-02 09:30 AM

"Innocent When You Dream" is one of my ten or so favorite Waits songs - though I so adore and respect the man's work a top ten may be an impossible task. Can't say Franks Wild Years would be the first album I'd recommend, but I do love 'em all. Blood Money, one of his two new discs released earlier this year, has already become one of my very, very favorites. Check that one out sometime.

linespalsy 12-19-02 02:32 PM

i'd probably agree with you that franks wild years is not the best introduction to waits. for that i'd go with 'closing time' and 'raindogs'. and yes, 'innocent when you dream' is great (as are just about all of his songs), but my favorites for the album are 'yesterday is here', 'telephone call from istanbul', and 'i'll be gone'. top ten tom waits songs? blasphemy! i could never chose just ten (shoot. it'd be hard for me to chose his 'top ten albums'). i just ripped 13 waits cds to an mp3 file on my hard-drive, so now i can listen to the 200 or so songs i have by him on random play, and i like them all very much. blood money is indeed grand; that was actually the second waits album i bought. it took a while, but alice has also grown on me, now i like it almost as much as blood money. what did you think of alice?