Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Better Actor or Director: John Cassavetes (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=37089)

Gideon58 09-08-14 06:45 PM

Better Actor or Director: John Cassavetes

This is a toughie...am really looking forward to people's opinions on this one.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 09-08-14 06:48 PM

Re: Better Actor or Director: John Cassavetes

he's pretty great at both, but i'll go with director just because he's not an actor in his best movie.

bluedeed 09-08-14 07:59 PM

Need to get at that Cassavetes, I do. I've seen nothing still :(

BlueLion 09-08-14 08:08 PM

I'll go with director

The Gunslinger45 09-08-14 08:09 PM

Saw Cassavetes as an actor in The Dirty Dozen. Nothing special. Saw Faces and I thought that film was terrible. But I also saw A Woman Under the Influence and thought that was good. So I will say director.

MovieGal 09-08-14 08:31 PM

I have only seen him act in one film, "Rosemary's Baby".. I believe I have the dvd for his film "Faces" but havent seen it yet... so I cant say anything.... to me "Rosemary's Baby" is one of the best horror films.

HitchFan97 09-08-14 09:50 PM

Cassavetes is an excellent actor, but as a director he's in a class by himself. (I'm not biased of course; he only happens to be one of my two or three favorite filmmakers ;))

Gideon58 09-09-14 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 1165163)
he's pretty great at both, but i'll go with director just because he's not an actor in his best movie.
What do you consider his greatest film?

Frightened Inmate No. 2 09-09-14 01:03 PM

a woman under the influence

Gideon58 10-15-14 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 (Post 1165758)
a woman under the influence
No argument here.

cricket 10-16-14 10:40 PM

I like his style of directing more than the movies themselves. I'll go with actor, because my two favorite movies that he either directs or acts in, are Mikey and Nicky and Rosemary's Baby.

matt72582 12-26-14 01:39 PM

I think he's a great actor, but a better director... I think his best films are "A Woman Under The Influence" and "Love Streams" -- I also didn't like Faces at all... I have about 4 more films, then I will have seen all of his, which is kinda sad. I can see probably how he died so early, cirrhosis of the liver in his fifties.. I'm wondering if he drank while directing his films.