Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are your worst movie going experiences? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62747)

SpelingError 11-22-20 11:16 PM

What are your worst movie going experiences?

Like, not the worst movie you saw in a theater. Worst as in the behavior of those around you, the quality of the theater you were in, the quality of your food, etc.

Mine was Joker, unquestionably. I went with two of my college friends to see it and they both acted fine. However, another group of people I knew went as well and they were annoying as all hell. While there was the constant annoying chatter they showed throughout the film nonstop, what annoyed me the most was that every time a character died, they burst out into laughter for about a full minute. It was creepy, it kind of took me out of the film, and I was tempted to tell them to shut up. Apparently, murder is funny for them. That's good to know. Then, when Fleck said "I've never been happy for one minute in my entire life", one of them said "Same", causing them to burst out into laughter again. That's why I prefer going to theaters during the weekdays since there's typically less people around. The only redeeming factor was when one of them tripped and face planted when getting up in the middle of the movie as that was actually pretty funny. Overall though, it was a pretty miserable experience.

James D. Gardiner 11-23-20 12:45 AM

Pretty much all of them.

Last cinema experience was around 16 years ago, and up until then probably only went a few times a year mostly with friends from school. Things I didn't like included dust all over the projector/screen, inevitably being seated behind someone who blocked the view, the constant surround sound of ruffling chip packets, kids flashing dangerous laser pointers all over the place for the full duration and generally being a pain, the audience bursting into extreme laughter whenever something violent occurred, which was disturbing, and being deafened by ridiculously loud audio which seemed inappropriate for the medium. Aside from these unfortunate detractions, the other downside is that I never really enjoyed any of the movies except for one, and that would be Gladiator.

Since leaving school I've had no interest to go because I know that none of the new releases would suit my ever discerning taste, and I can watch all the films that I want and enjoy at home in peace and relaxation. A happy arrangement.

Thunderbolt 11-23-20 03:25 PM

Re: What are your worst movie going experiences?

I went to see Diary of the Dead many years ago. There was a deranged elderly woman crawling around on here hands and knees around the entire cinema. After around 10 minutes of this happening, she stood up in front of the screen, swore at everyone viewing the film and stormed out. It certainly added to the zombie atmosphere.

Stirchley 11-23-20 05:32 PM

Haven’t been in a movie theater for years, but a bad experience would be back in the day in Manhattan when some creepy old geezer sat next to me in an almost empty theater. He was horrid & tried to engage me in small talk. I got up & left.

Me today would call the manager & have him tossed out.

AgrippinaX 11-23-20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2143560)
I went to see Diary of the Dead many years ago. There was a deranged elderly woman crawling around on here hands and knees around the entire cinema. After around 10 minutes of this happening, she stood up in front of the screen, swore at everyone viewing the film and stormed out. It certainly added to the zombie atmosphere.
That sounds fantastic, a true 4D experience.

SpelingError 11-23-20 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2143560)

That sounds like a great movie going experience. If that happened to me, I'd be perfectly okay with it. Like, how often do things like that happen?

MovieGal 11-23-20 07:39 PM

Opening Friday night of one of the Iron Man movies.. couple next to us talked the whole time.

After the movie, I said to them "If you want to talk, stay the f*** home".

Thunderbolt 11-24-20 05:36 AM

Another strange experience I had was when I saw “The Hills Have Eyes 2.” I had the day off work in the week so went to the cinema by myself. The ticket girl made a comment saying “You’re not going in there alone are you?” Which I thought nothing of.

I go to get seated and the whole screen is deserted. Adverts and trailers play and the screen is still empty. Just as the movie starts the doors open and a single person wanders in. Where do they decide to sit? The seat directly behind me out of the whole choice of cinema. I was slightly creeped out but somehow didn’t move for the whole film. Being a horror movie with freaky people in also made me wonder who the hell is behind me.

ScarletLion 11-24-20 06:51 AM

Went to see the Hannibal movie where Gary Oldman(?)'s character cuts his own face off. But I was so hungover and on a come down I had a complete paranoid anxiety attack and left the cinema. But it was quite early on in the film, and I had to wait ages as I needed a lift home from my mate who was still in the showing. So I just had a 2 hour panic attack staring at the drinks and chocolates behind the counter.

Great times.

Cobra 11-26-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2143417)
What annoyed me the most was that every time a character died, they burst out into laughter for about a full minute. It was creepy, it kind of took me out of the film, and I was tempted to tell them to shut up. Apparently, murder is funny for them.
I had a friend like that, haven't seen them since the mid 2000s.

MovieFan1988 11-30-20 07:56 PM

Not sure if I had a bad experience at the movies yet but I had a good experience just yesterday when I went to go see that movie freaky, when knowing that I was the only person watching the movie, no one else was there lol. 1:30PM, not much people come to the movies at that time where I live nearby anyways

The movie was good btw, I love when Horror and Comedy get mixed in together.

MovieFan1988 11-30-20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2143417)
Like, not the worst movie you saw in a theater. Worst as in the behavior of those around you, the quality of the theater you were in, the quality of your food, etc.

Mine was Joker, unquestionably. I went with two of my college friends to see it and they both acted fine. However, another group of people I knew went as well and they were annoying as all hell. While there was the constant annoying chatter they showed throughout the film nonstop, what annoyed me the most was that every time a character died, they burst out into laughter for about a full minute. It was creepy, it kind of took me out of the film, and I was tempted to tell them to shut up. Apparently, murder is funny for them. That's good to know. Then, when Fleck said "I've never been happy for one minute in my entire life", one of them said "Same", causing them to burst out into laughter again. That's why I prefer going to theaters during the weekdays since there's typically less people around. The only redeeming factor was when one of them tripped and face planted when getting up in the middle of the movie as that was actually pretty funny. Overall though, it was a pretty miserable experience.
lol, some people have some weird sense of humor when it comes to violence, when I watch the purge movies I sometimes just laugh when something unexpected happens, like these two scenes for instance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q85twbu-Vvk - skip to 2:05 to see what happens lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GhSM3Gu9VU - skip to 2:00 for this one lol

skizzerflake 12-01-20 11:24 AM

I don't even remember the movie. It was Saturday night at the suburban cineplex and lots of entitled kids with affluent parents were dropped off there, some gravitated into the theater to see the same movie I was watching. They were running in and out, throwing things at the screen, yelling, etc. When I complained to the manger, he was fine with it as long as they bought overpriced food and came back again.

We got two free passes to the same theater, but never used them.