Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   what is your sound system for TV (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=61706)

Jimmy Mays 06-11-20 05:38 AM

what is your sound system for TV

hi, collecting ideas for a new one, so
wanna ask you what is your sound system for TV?

Stirchley 06-12-20 05:25 PM

Re: what is your sound system for TV

Don’t think I have a “system”. I turn on the tv, adjust the volume, and off I go. :)

marriedactress 06-12-20 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2099135)
Don’t think I have a “system”. I turn on the tv, adjust the volume, and off I go. :)

Hahaha I'd have to say same as this

Marty McFly 06-12-20 11:22 PM

What?! I can’t hear you over the explosions. Lol

We have a soundbar. I wasn’t convinced at first but it grew on me after I found that movie setting feature. Bang! Boom!

skizzerflake 06-13-20 03:07 PM

5 Small NHT bookshelf speakers and a whopping Hsu subwoofer, coupled to a Yamaha receiver. The NHT's are small but excellent and what they lack in bottom is filled in by the sub. It's a small basement room so power isn't much of a factor, but when it's cranked up, I can move the furniture on the 2nd floor of the house when there's an on-screen explosion. Generally, when I'm watching TV, I turn off surround because of the limitations of that TV sound. Sound engineers put a lot of work into movie sound, so it would be a shame to miss out on that. This is not an expensive setup but makes a huge improvement so I end up with better sound than even my local art-house theater which claims to do the best sound.

Citizen Rules 06-13-20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2099135)
Originally Posted by marriedactress (Post 2099143)
Hahaha I'd have to say same as this
Me too.:p

skizzerflake 06-13-20 05:15 PM

You can spend as much as you want on this or almost as little ($150 for all-in-the-box) but truthfully, almost any actual surround with marginally decent speakers is a huge improvement on TV monitor sound. A lot of work goes into sound production so, good sound feels like it makes the screen larger. With audio equipment there's a diminishing returns principle that, when you double the money you spend, you do NOT get twice the benefit, so a reasonable, low priced system will move you along a lot with that first step.

If you catch that strange audiophile virus, however, you should turn your bank account over to a trustee.

pahaK 06-13-20 07:14 PM

Some cheapish headphones plugged straight to TV.

MovieMeditation 06-14-20 06:33 AM

I have the Yamaha NS-555 towers and the NS-C444 for the frontstage, YST-SW515 subwoofer, and then the NS-333 for the back and Atmos speakers in a 5.1.2 system. My receiver is the Yamaha RX-V781.

Jimmy Mays 06-15-20 09:13 AM

my friend send me a link to homemakerguide.com with sound system Sony HT-S350 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer, said that is not so expensive and perfect sound

skizzerflake 06-15-20 10:21 AM

Perfect NEVER applies, either to sound systems or to ears, so auditioning is a good thing to do before you put down any money.

Stirchley 06-15-20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2099500)
I have the Yamaha NS-555 towers and the NS-C444 for the frontstage, YST-SW515 subwoofer, and then the NS-333 for the back and Atmos speakers in a 5.1.2 system. My receiver is the Yamaha RX-V781.
Sounds good (no pun intended), but no clue what any of it is. :eek:

MovieMeditation 06-15-20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2099763)
Sounds good (no pun intended), but no clue what any of it is. :eek:
Yeah I know, I just thought that since this kind of was a thread for people with interest in sound systems so if they wanted to know more they could look up the model names. :D

But well... confusing names or not, they sound really damn good and I’m really damn happy about them. I guess that’s what matters most. ;)

This is not my photo but a picture of the exact same set I have. (except I got two more bookshelf speakers which I use for above head Atmos effects)
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/60/60/30/img_5120.jpg

Stirchley 06-15-20 03:40 PM

⬆️ Awesome. Enjoy. :)

Kontak5 08-13-20 04:44 PM

Jbl Bar 5.1 Surround 4K 550W Virtual Soundbar and Wireless Subwoofer

John McClane 08-21-20 07:12 PM

I’m all about soundbars these days. Their libations are quite intoxicating.

MovieMeditation 08-21-20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2118980)
I’m all about soundbars these days. Their libations are quite intoxicating.
Oh no. It’s the soundbar guy again. :rolleyes: ;)

John McClane 08-21-20 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2118982)
Oh no. It’s the soundbar guy again. :rolleyes: ;)
Say what you will but I paid $100 for mine and, considering the price, it is the best sound I have ever heard.

I used to have a much nicer 2.1 system that was close to $1000 and, while the clarity and soundstage was better, I don’t miss it for TV and movies.

But oh man, I miss throwing the FLAC up on that system. I cry myself back to sleep when I dream of it. :lol:

MovieMeditation 08-21-20 07:46 PM

I’m just screwing with ya. If you are happy you are happy. All that matters!

shivamsharma 08-22-20 03:41 AM

I am using Mi Soundbar with 8 Speaker Drivers as a sound system.