Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Criterion Channel (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58913)

Swan 03-01-19 12:55 PM

The Criterion Channel

With the death of FilmStruck came the birth of

THE CRITERION CHANNEL

About damn time Criterion had their own dedicated streaming service.

I subscribed recently as a charter member. Super excited for April 8th, I want the damn app on my Apple TV already! They're doing movie of the week right now for charter members. This week is To Sleep with Anger. Anyone seen it? Worth checking out?

Upton 03-01-19 12:57 PM

Re: The Criterion Channel

I've been using kanopy which is free with a library card, hope this doesn't mean criterion pulls their titles from there

Swan 03-01-19 01:04 PM

Literally *just* found out about Kanopy. That is truly amazing. Where's my library card!

Citizen Rules 03-01-19 01:13 PM

I use Kanopy for free too, yahoo! My library didn't have it, but they do give out reciprocal library cards to other libraries in my state, which I did just online in a few minutes. So then I got a library card to Seattle Libraries and they have free Kanopy and lots of free tickets to Seattle museums, etc. Not to shabby:)

Stirchley 03-01-19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1993228)
About damn time Criterion had their own dedicated streaming service.
Smart move on the part of Criterion. I was wondering how they could go forward with DVDs only. Even though their DVDs are amazing & collectors’ items (and probably always will be) this business model is not sustainable for the future.

Looking forward to the start-up date.

seanc 03-01-19 04:26 PM

Super excited. Wish I could get Kanopy. Might be time to look into it again. Probably been a year since I have.

Swan 03-01-19 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1993295)
Super excited. Wish I could get Kanopy. Might be time to look into it again. Probably been a year since I have.
It's completely free if you have a library card. I just signed up. You're limited to 8 movies a month, but it has a damn good selection.

mark f 03-01-19 10:25 PM

I get 10/month and when I crosscheck it with Amazon Prime, MUBI, Netflix and what I have on Plex and my other Roku stuff, it's plenty. I'm still getting all the Criterion Channel stuff although that might be too much considering how many TCM also shows. :cool:

pahaK 03-01-19 10:45 PM

Not much luck with Kanopy here in Finland and isn't the Criterion Channel US/Canada only too?

Citizen Rules 03-01-19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 1993387)
Not much luck with Kanopy here in Finland and isn't the Criterion Channel US/Canada only too?
VPN

pahaK 03-01-19 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1993393)
VPN
I do have VPN but I doubt it helps with getting a library card from different country. I'd suppose they'd need an address as well. Not sure about Criterion Channel but after Netflix's rather successful blocking of VPNs I'm not interested in paying for a service that would require one to work at all anyways.

Citizen Rules 03-01-19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 1993395)
I do have VPN but I doubt it helps with getting a library card from different country. I'd suppose they'd need an address as well. Not sure about Criterion Channel but after Netflix's rather successful blocking of VPNs I'm not interested in paying for a service that would require one to work at all anyways.
Oh I seen, I got that wrong, it's been a looooooong day for me!

seanc 03-02-19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1993377)
It's completely free if you have a library card. I just signed up. You're limited to 8 movies a month, but it has a damn good selection.
Your library has to be in a certain system or something, I forget the exact wording. Anyway mine wasn't eligible last time I checked.

Swan 03-02-19 11:19 PM

Gotcha, that's a shame.

Stirchley 03-04-19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1993562)
Your library has to be in a certain system or something, I forget the exact wording. Anyway mine wasn't eligible last time I checked.
I’ve never even heard of kanopy, but it does look amazing. Unfortunately, it seems to be unavailable in mine & the neighboring town. Even at the state uni.

GulfportDoc 03-16-19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1993238)
I use Kanopy for free too, yahoo! My library didn't have it, but they do give out reciprocal library cards to other libraries in my state, which I did just online in a few minutes. So then I got a library card to Seattle Libraries and they have free Kanopy and lots of free tickets to Seattle museums, etc. Not to shabby:)
I went to the Kanopy website, but I couldn't find where you can learn if your local library participates. I think it's a secret...;)

Citizen Rules 03-16-19 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 1996875)
I went to the Kanopy website, but I couldn't find where you can learn if your local library participates. I think it's a secret...;)
I found it by first going to my library site and after looking around and around I found a link there. Better yet, just Google the name of your library system and Kanopy and see what comes up.

GulfportDoc 03-17-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1996876)
I found it by first going to my library site and after looking around and around I found a link there. Better yet, just Google the name of your library system and Kanopy and see what comes up.
Thanks for the tip. I did go to my county library's website to check. They don't list Kanopy, but they do have what seems to be a similar system called Hoopla. I browsed the first couple of hundred movies in their library, but none were classic films, in which I'm primarily interested. So I'll probably pass for now.

Does Kanopy have lots of classic movies?

~Doc

Citizen Rules 03-17-19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 1996982)
Thanks for the tip. I did go to my county library's website to check. They don't list Kanopy, but they do have what seems to be a similar system called Hoopla. I browsed the first couple of hundred movies in their library, but none were classic films, in which I'm primarily interested. So I'll probably pass for now.

Does Kanopy have lots of classic movies?

~Doc
We had Hoopla too. I signed up with Hoopla, then never used it as I didn't like the movies, so cancelled it. Yeah Kanopy has some classic movies, I haven't used it much so I'm not real familiar with it. Give me a few classic titles and I'll see if they have it.

BTW most library systems allow you to get a reciprocal library card at other county systems in your state. That's what I did, my own library system does not have Kanopy, but by going to my library site I found a list of other library systems where I could get another card. Seattle library system had Kanopy and I just got a reciprocal card there and did it online.

GulfportDoc 03-17-19 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1996984)
We had Hoopla too. I signed up with Hoopla, then never used it as I didn't like the movies, so cancelled it. Yeah Kanopy has some classic movies, I haven't used it much so I'm not real familiar with it. Give me a few classic titles and I'll see if they have it.

BTW most library systems allow you to get a reciprocal library card at other county systems in your state. That's what I did, my own library system does not have Kanopy, but by going to my library site I found a list of other library systems where I could get another card. Seattle library system had Kanopy and I just got a reciprocal card there and did it online.
I just re-watched The Big Clock the other night, then recently was High Sierra. For that matter, The Maltese Falcon should be common. If they don't have either of those, then they don't likely have a very large classic or noir library. I hate to put you to the trouble. It's not top priority.

That's a good tip about a reciprocal library card. I may check that out. Thanks.

~Doc