Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Harvey Weinstein Fired!! (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=51540)

d_chatterley 10-08-17 08:45 PM

Harvey Weinstein Fired!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000009

This is pretty huge for Hollywood. Goodbye, good riddance if you ask me.
Is it a beginning of a big cleanse?

Joel 10-08-17 08:50 PM

If more people speak up and if the proof is solid then I'd say yes, this could be an effective benchmark at the very least.

Dani8 10-08-17 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1796550)
[

Hopefully.
I had to laugh at Trump's reaction. Takes one to know one, hey.

cricket 10-08-17 09:10 PM

My wife was saying something about him earlier, but I was paying no attention as usual.

d_chatterley 10-08-17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1796559)
Hopefully.
I had to laugh at Trump's reaction. Takes one to know one, hey.
Isn't it interesting that basically the head honcho of sexual harassment is in charge of the USA yet a lot of the other places within USA (Fox News, Hollywood) have gone the other way and started to completely cleanse their lot of sexual predators? I guess the swamp is being drained just not in the White House and DC.
At least he may have served as a catalyst for it. I'll take it.

Dani8 10-08-17 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1796580)
At least he may have served as a catalyst for it. I'll take it.
I saw one reporter last night say he palmed it off on the basis he grew up in the 60s and 70s. She said Oh do grow up, Harvey!

All I can think about at the moment is this

https://c.sceneclip.com/data/clip/rq...clip.small.gif

Dani8 10-08-17 10:24 PM

Looks like the purge is coming

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7987706.html

Damn. I loved honest trailers but nup, keep your dick in your pants.

gandalf26 10-09-17 02:16 PM

Hopefully yes.

Hollywood is a dirty place behind the glitz and glam. Have to say though I'm sure there are plenty of incidents of upcoming Actors/Actresses throwing themselves at the likes of Weinstein to get their big break/part they want. Sad but true, dirty business.

Yoda 10-09-17 02:41 PM

Re: Harvey Weinstein Fired!!

The relative lack of discussion about this among late night comedians has been telling, to put it mildly.

Dani8 10-09-17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1796977)
The relative lack of discussion about this among late night comedians has been telling, to put it mildly.
Oh you're right. Just saw this. Very curious.

Even in the wake of Weinstein’s firing, most high-profile Hollywood stars and decision-makers have remained mum. Late-night hosts, with the exception of John Oliver, didn’t touch the scandal; nor did “Saturday Night Live.”

The Gunslinger45 10-09-17 02:56 PM

Maybe when Hollywood starts naming names of pedos like Elijah Wood and the late Corey Haim have claimed. But it is a start.

matt72582 10-09-17 02:56 PM

I can't stand double standards...

Chypmunk 10-09-17 02:57 PM

Maybe they are all busy trying to think up jokes?

For the record I think any 'bjs-for-breaks' type thing completely sucks.

It's ok, I've already got my coat and gloves...

Dani8 10-09-17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1796987)
Maybe when Hollywood starts naming names of pedos like Elijah Wood and the late Corey Haim have claimed. But it is a start.
I think it's coming. It'll be a runaway train much like in the church when people start coming forward. People have been forced to shut up and take it for way too long.

Yoda 10-09-17 02:59 PM

Oh, I don't think there's too much mystery about it. Increasingly, late night comedy is about getting claps, rather than laughs. That means adopting an ideology (no points for guessing which kind), attracting viewers who share it, and then reinforcing that through confirmation bias.

People used to want to chuckle before going to bed. Now, they just want someone to tell them they're right and people who disagree are dishonest hypocrites. That's what helps us sleep now, I guess.

gandalf26 10-09-17 03:02 PM

Its like the Rabbit hole has opened, how deep will it go? Maybe with the declining power of Hollywood the big shots will be seen as fair game now. I bet there are perhaps hundreds of nervous Hollywood big shots wondering if they will be next.

Unrelated but I found Tom Cruises divorce clause with Katie Holmes that she couldn't date anyone publicly for 5 years completely bizarre. Does anyone have a possible reason for this, ethics aside?

The Gunslinger45 10-09-17 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1796994)
Its like the Rabbit hole has opened, how deep will it go? Maybe with the declining power of Hollywood the big shots will be seen as fair game now. I bet there are perhaps hundreds of nervous Hollywood big shots wondering if they will be next.

Unrelated but I found Tom Cruises divorce clause with Katie Holmes that she couldn't date anyone publicly for 5 years completely bizarre. Does anyone have a possible reason for this, ethics aside?
We shall see how deep it goes. Kinda curious to see how deep.

gandalf26 10-09-17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1796997)
We shall see how deep it goes. Kinda curious to see how deep.
Earlier I posted about actors/actresses doing "anything" to get roles. Will the big shots fight back and start naming said stars.

matt72582 10-09-17 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 1796989)
Maybe they are all busy trying to think up jokes?

For the record I think any 'bjs-for-breaks' type thing completely sucks.

It's ok, I've already got my coat and gloves...
I've been waiting quite a long time for jokes, instead of made-in-lab Democratic Party baloney -- don't wanna know where it came from, either.

The Gunslinger45 10-09-17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1797001)
Earlier I posted about actors/actresses doing "anything" to get roles. Will the big shots fight back and start naming said stars.
No clue. Then again the casting couch has been around since Hollywood's inception. But for the accused to start to say what actress blew which exec what part? That I don't think has been done in an open forum yet. Don't quote me on that though.

Chypmunk 10-09-17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1797003)
I've been waiting quite a long time for jokes, instead of made-in-lab Democratic Party baloney -- don't wanna know where it came from, either.
I imagine a fair few of the jokes might touch on the alternative meaning of baloney tbh :)

Dani8 10-09-17 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1797004)
No clue. Then again the casting couch has been around since Hollywood's inception. But for the accused to start to say what actress blew which exec what part? That I don't think has been done in an open forum yet. Don't quote me on that though.
I doubt it. It's been a carefully nurtured culture and people have remained silent. I read yesterday that the rumblings about Harv started a long time ago but the legal dept shut it up. I would like to know when those 8 payouts were made - just now or years ago.

Sylvie 10-09-17 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1796991)
Oh, I don't think there's too much mystery about it. Increasingly, late night comedy is about getting claps, rather than laughs. That means adopting an ideology (no points for guessing which kind), attracting viewers who share it, and then reinforcing that through confirmation bias.

People used to want to chuckle before going to bed. Now, they just want someone to tell them they're right and people who disagree are dishonest hypocrites. That's what helps us sleep now, I guess.
Ditto and well said, Yoda. When people in the entertainment media start getting ideological about certain topics, they've lost me. Such obvious double standards are really telling.

The Gunslinger45 10-09-17 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1797008)
I doubt it. It's been a carefully nurtured culture and people have remained silent. I read yesterday that the rumblings about Harv started a long time ago but the legal dept shut it up. I would like to know when those 8 payouts were made - just now or years ago.
Yeah I have read a few articles about that. I am also talking about Hollywood period. I don't think anyone in the Hollywood scene who has been accused of sexual misconduct to then go out and say what X person did for a role. Thought there is plenty of discredit the accuser with friendly photo ops post incident BS. That ain't sleazy at all.

Dani8 10-09-17 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1797018)
Yeah I have read a few articles about that. I am also talking about Hollywood period. I don't think anyone in the Hollywood scene who has been accused of sexual misconduct to then go out and say what X person did for a role. Thought there is plenty of discredit the accuser with friendly photo ops post incident BS. That ain't sleazy at all.
I think with all this kind of stuff escalating these days and people feeling more able to come forward the He/She blew me in my shower every day for a month to get that role in Movie xyz will get absolutely hammered. Imagine the outcry, and rightly so.

Camo 10-09-17 03:52 PM

You should read Going Clear, it goes into the nuts Katie Holmes situation a decent amount. I can't remember if it answers that but you'd probably find it interesting anyway. The book is unsurprisingly much better and more in depth than the documentary even though i think the doc is excellent too.

gandalf26 10-09-17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1797033)
You should read Going Clear, it goes into the nuts Katie Holmes situation a decent amount. I can't remember if it answers that but you'd probably find it interesting anyway. The book is unsurprisingly much better and more in depth than the documentary even though i think the doc is excellent too.
Thanks, I wasn't aware there was a book. I have the documentary saved on my Sky Box, watched it 3 times I think. Doesn't explain why Cruise wants 5 year no public dating. Could understand 6 months even though that's still controlling and weird but 5 years, I mean wtf Tom.

Camo 10-09-17 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1797052)
Thanks, I wasn't aware there was a book. I have the documentary saved on my Sky Box, watched it 3 times I think. Doesn't explain why Cruise wants 5 year no public dating. Could understand 6 months even though that's still controlling and weird but 5 years, I mean wtf Tom.
The book is much more in depth than the documentary. It has a large section for L. Ron Hubbard and the beginning of Scientology, a large part for Miscavige and how he came to control it and a large part about Hollywoods involvement especially Cruise. The doc understandably has very shortened parts on each and it barely touches on Miscavige which IMO is the most interesting part. He was basically a little hulked up kid who beat his parents before getting involved with Scientology and oddly he committed a hostile takeover of Scientology while Hubbard was in exile, hilarious since Hubbard is basically the prophet to them.

It's from Lawrence Wright the guy who wrote The Looming Tower and is based on testimony from former Scientology members particularly Paul Haggis (director of Crash), so it's well written and well informed. Alot of it's completely nuts and without a doubt there's some untrue stuff in there but it's a great read anyway, really funny too.

gandalf26 10-09-17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1797058)
The book is much more in depth than the documentary. It has a large section for L. Ron Hubbard and the beginning of Scientology, a large part for Miscavige and how he came to control it and a large part about Hollywoods involvement especially Cruise. The doc understandably has very shortened parts on each and it barely touches on Miscavige which IMO is the most interesting part. He was basically a little hulked up kid who beat his parents before getting involved with Scientology and oddly he committed a hostile takeover of Scientology while Hubbard was in exile, hilarious since Hubbard is basically the prophet to them.

It's from Lawrence Wright the guy who wrote The Looming Tower and is based on testimony from former Scientology members particularly Paul Haggis (director of Crash), so it's well written and well informed. Alot of it's completely nuts and without a doubt there's some untrue stuff in there but it's a great read anyway, really funny too.
Scientology is just such a fascinating subject. You walk away from the doc thinking "how will it all end", mass suicide? Tom Cruise turns against it? Miscavige goes too far and murders someone (or someone murders him) gets arrested and it crumbles afterwards? IRS ruins it financially. What will the army of acolytes do after it crumbles? Will it even end in our lifetime?

mojofilter 10-09-17 04:52 PM

This will not stop me from watching movies produced by the Weinsteins. Regardless of these allegations and what he did, the movies he produced with his brother are some of the best movies of our time. Pulp Fiction being at the top of that list.

McConnaughay 10-09-17 05:05 PM

John Oliver: Your excuse isn't an excuse. In-fact, it isn't even an excuse in the sixties. Well, back then, we had no idea that women didn't want to be forced to look at dicks. That wasn't discovered by scientists until 1998!

Dani8 10-09-17 06:28 PM

Ohhh I read that some of those settlements were paid out back in 1993 when Harvey worked for Bob Weinstein's Miramax, owned by Disney. I wonder if more heads are going to roll for sweeping it under the carpet.

Not a news source.

Stirchley 10-09-17 07:22 PM

Is that actually true? IIRC, her father is an attorney & managed to steer her & Tom through their divorce without a ton of acrimony.

Stirchley 10-09-17 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by McConnaughay (Post 1797091)
John Oliver:
Ugh, if only he would keep it buttoned for once. Cannot fathom why he is so popular here.

Dani8 10-09-17 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1797285)
Ugh, if only he would keep it buttoned for once. Cannot fathom why he is so popular here.
He's the only late night host who has so far had the guts to speak out about that big slug and should be applauded. Why on earth would you want him to shut up. Good on him.

Stirchley 10-09-17 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1797296)
He's the only late night host who has so far had the guts to speak out about that big slug and should be applauded. Why on earth would you want him to shut up. Good on him.
He’s ghastly. He doesn’t care about those women. He’s very much like Piers Courage of The Daily Mail. All sound and fury, but, essentially, lacking in character of any sort. But, we can agree to disagree. If you like him, that’s your choice.

Kissintel 10-09-17 07:41 PM

I sincerely hope that this begins a trend of key people in hollywood getting ousted for stuff like this.

Unfortunately, I am anticipating certain people (whom I respect artistically) getting dragged into this mess. For a long time I had suspected things like this from those people, and it would be a good thing to know for sure so I can decide to stop showing my support for their work.

Dani8 10-09-17 07:42 PM

It's not about whether you like him or not but about people like him giving it a voice so they can stand up and crack down on this filthy culture in Hollywood by those in power from taking advantage of people in the industry. I;m not sure how you're not getting that.

Stirchley 10-09-17 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1797308)
It's not about whether you like him or not but about people like him giving it a voice so they can stand up and crack down on this filthy culture in Hollywood by those in power from taking advantage of people in the industry. I;m not sure how you're not getting that.
I gave my opinion of him. If that is irrelevant to you, simply ignore my posts. Please, don’t make this thread about yourself.

Dani8 10-09-17 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1797312)
I gave my opinion of him. If that is irrelevant to you, simply ignore my posts. Please, don’t make this thread about yourself.
This thread isnt about your opinion of him, and where did I make this thread about me? Stop projecting. To think you want him to shut up about this disgusting practice simply because you dont like him is woeful. Too late, Oliver took a stand where no one else has. Hopefully more of them do.

Stirchley 10-09-17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1797320)
This thread isnt about your opinion of him, and where did I make this thread about me? Stop projecting. To think you want him to shut up about this disgusting practice simply because you dont like him is woeful. Too late, Oliver took a stand where no one else has. Hopefully more of them do.
So only your opinions are valid here? You always take everything so personally & I can see that you are working yourself into a tizzy again. I shall refrain from any further comments about Mr. Oliver so as not to upset you.

Dani8 10-09-17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 1797325)
So only your opinions are valid here? You always take everything so personally & I can see that you are working yourself into a tizzy again. I shall refrain from any further comments about Mr. Oliver so as not to upset you.
You make no sense at all. This thread is about weinstein and the rape culture in hollywood and you wanted to go off on a tirade about john oliver.

d_chatterley 10-09-17 11:44 PM

Yeah, whatever happened to that? I thought that was going to blow up especially when I saw Corey Feldman talking about it on the talk shows circuit, but then it just went away. There have been so many stories over the years regarding some of these people such as Bryan Singer and co.

Also, whatever happened to the shocking radar online article regarding the A-list actor? It just went nowhere.

Dani8 10-10-17 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by d_chatterley (Post 1797465)
Yeah, whatever happened to that? I thought that was going to blow up especially when I saw Corey Feldman talking about it on the talk shows circuit, but then it just went away. There have been so many stories over the years regarding some of these people such as Bryan Singer and co.

Also, whatever happened to the shocking radar online article regarding the A-list actor? It just went nowhere.
It all gets swept under the carpet. Look here - shame on Russell Crowe and Matt Damon if this is true. How the hell do a couple of actors shut up Times from exposing that, and what the hell do they get out of it. Would they have shut it up if their kids had been exposed to a filthy egomaniac like that?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...inning-1047262

The Gunslinger45 10-10-17 03:28 PM

Well now people are coming forward with rape allegations.

Seems Harvey has gone beyond the casting couch to full sex assault.

Dani8 10-10-17 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger45 (Post 1797920)
Well now people are coming forward with rape allegations.

Seems Harvey has gone beyond the casting couch to full sex assault.
Yeah just saw that, and more coming forward to speak out. Good. I'm surprised Angelina Jolie stayed quiet so long.
Still shaking my head Crowe and Damon did that.

Feig going for it. Good on him. Let it rip, dude!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...feig-hollywood

earlsmoviepicks 10-10-17 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1796991)
Yoda, you just perfectly nailed the decline of SNL et al, well done, it was bugging me for the longest time!

honeykid 10-10-17 04:06 PM

As usual, if 10% of the rumours I've heard over the years about Harvey are true, there's plenty more to come. But I also suspect that only the low level stuff will come out without a trial of some sort. There's just too much at stake for too many otherwise.

Dani8 10-10-17 04:11 PM

Makes me wonder where his power was. I mean, not exactly an outstanding array of movies he produced, so he must have had people by the short and curlies elsewhere eg the way he was portrayed in Entourage YOU WILL NEVER WORK IN THIS TOWN AGAIN!!!

May the dominos keep dropping.

WorldFilmGeek 10-10-17 04:24 PM

The Weinstein Co. is also planning to change their name...it hasn't been announced...maybe they will just use the Dimension label since Bob owns it? They can't use Miramax after all since Disney owns it now.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...firing-assault

Dani8 10-12-17 06:39 PM

Skimming through the commentary about Harvey's depression it is mindblowing how many women, yes Women, think his behaviour and control freaks just like him is acceptable. What century is this. How would those women feel if he jumped out in the hallway at work and masturbated furiously infront of their daughters, then blacklisted them because they wouldnt curtsy to the freak.

The Gunslinger45 10-13-17 02:37 AM

Sh*t starting to pop off. Now Amazon Studio Chief accused.

dadgumblah 10-13-17 03:31 AM

I love Jessica Chastain but something about a statement she made kind of bothered me. And that is: "I was warned from the beginning," tweeted the Oscar nominee to her nearly 600,000 followers. "The stories were everywhere. To deny that is to create an environment for it to happen again." So she's saying it just now or warned others?

I hope that she would warn others as vehemently as she's condemning Weinstein, whom I've always heard was a steaming turd of a person. Now this? I can believe it about him but I'm reading things about how Asia Argento, for example, had oral sex forced on her twenty years ago and said nothing because she had heard that Weinstein could "crush you," meaning your career. So, to me, that makes her guilty of letting other women be abused by Weinstein because she was more afraid of losing her career.

I'm not a fan of Lena Dunham at all, but I'm totally on board with her statement here: "When we stay silent, we gag the victims," she wrote. "When we stay silent, we condone behavior that none of us could possibly believe is O.K. (unless you do). When we stay silent, we stay on the same path that led us here. Making noise is making change. Making change is why we tell stories. We don't want to have to tell stories like this one again and again. Speak louder."

I agree with that. Weinstein (and I'm not his judge) appears to be completely guilty but if people (women included) knew this about him and said nothing, or took a payoff like Rose McGowan supposedly did and said nothing, then they are just as guilty as Weinstein. Because, like Dunham said, to be quiet is to condone it, and further than that---if actors like Crowe and Damon helped to cover it up, they're guilty also. If Weinstein is charged, then any actors or actress found to have helped cover it up or stay silent about should be charged also. I don't know exactly what the charge would be though. I'm not hip with the legal terms but I know turning a blind eye towards something you know is happening is just as bad.

But if we now anything from the past, it's that Hollywood wastes no time in eating their own. Once they smell blood, they're in on the kill. For once, I'm glad because Weinstein's career is kaput. But if charges are brought and this goes to trial it will be interesting to see how many stars knew what and when.

Camo 10-13-17 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 1800313)
I can believe it about him but I'm reading things about how Asia Argento, for example, had oral sex forced on her twenty years ago and said nothing because she had heard that Weinstein could "crush you," meaning your career. So, to me, that makes her guilty of letting other women be abused by Weinstein because she was more afraid of losing her career.

Jesus christ dude don't blame sexual assault victims for being afraid to step forward. The only person to blame here is the rapist.

Camo 10-13-17 03:45 AM

Like don't act like it's easy for abuse victims to step forward that's extremely gross. Harvey Weinstein is the only person to blame here. Absolutely didn't think i'd see victim blaming on this forum about this but here we are. Jesus christ. :sick: I need to go for a walk.

dadgumblah 10-13-17 04:07 AM

Hold on just a minute. First of all, did you even read what I quoted? She said she was afraid to say anything because "he could crush you," meaning, again, he could ruin her career. She said nothing about being afraid of him because he assaulted her. And I wasn't inferring that at all! I freely admit that I believe he more than likely did all the things that are coming out about him.

So you've wrapped what I said into a nice little package called "victim blaming?" No, you are dead wrong. I said anyone, yes, including Asia Argento, was just as guilty for keeping it quiet because of LOSING HER CAREER. And I wondered how many people were assaulted after that for her or anybody keeping what they knew about Weinstein quiet. I posed the question. We have Glenn Close saying she heard rumors about him for years. Everybody keeps saying this, that they had at least an idea that this was true, but that he was good to THEM. I was and am, feeling for the women who suffered because of the close-knit Hollywood code of silence that I believe exists. You don't have to agree with me, but don't you dare say I'm for one minute blaming the victims. Go back and read again after you take your walk.

Camo 10-13-17 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 1800325)
Hold on just a minute. First of all, did you even read what I quoted? She said she was afraid to say anything because "he could crush you," meaning, again, he could ruin her career. She said nothing about being afraid of him because he assaulted her.
Not sure why when money comes into it somehow that changes everything; losing your livelihood is absolutely enough of a threat to fear coming forward. And that's on top of the trauma and shame she no doubt suffered from the abuse. The rape victims are absolutely not to blame; maybe the rapist should stop raping. I mean why even delve into this, this is standard MRA lets find a woman to blame for the rapist man crap. That was your first post in this thread and you barely mentioned Weinstein, you were actually alot less judgemental of him going as far to say you're not his judge, it's the rape victims who allowed this to happen obviously; shame on them for getting raped. Weinstein should sue them for causing him to continue raping women.

but you dare say I'm for one minute blaming the victims.

Asia Argento is a victim and you literally say she is guilty in this paragraph. Blame the rapist, holy fck.

Camo 10-13-17 04:14 AM

It's bullsh!t like that that stops abuse victims from coming forward in the first place.

dadgumblah 10-13-17 04:37 AM

Camo:
That was your first post in this thread and you barely mentioned Weinstein, you were actually alot less judgemental of him going as far to say you're not his judge, it's the rape victims who allowed this to happen obviously; shame on them for getting raped. Weinstein should sue them for causing him to continue raping women.
So you're putting words in my mouth with "it's the rape victims who allowed this to happen obviously; shame on them for getting raped. Weinstein should sue them for causing him to continue raping women." This never entered my mind at all. You thought that one up. I'm talking about victims who suffered later because Argento, yes, was afraid for her career, or people who took a payoff and women were raped because of people (McGowan) taking money to keep quiet. I'm not blaming them for being raped, for the love of God! I'm not some heartless scum. I'm saying what Lena Dunham said. Everyone in this thread has already talked about Weinstein. I'm still talking about him but I'm talking about what I heard them commenting on it. As is my right. If you think I'm blaming rape victims for being raped then I can't help you because you're wrong.

Me:
Weinstein, whom I've always heard was a steaming turd of a person.
I'm not a fan of Lena Dunham at all, but I'm totally on board with her statement here: "When we stay silent, we gag the victims," she wrote. "When we stay silent, we condone behavior that none of us could possibly believe is O.K. (unless you do). When we stay silent, we stay on the same path that led us here. Making noise is making change. Making change is why we tell stories. We don't want to have to tell stories like this one again and again. Speak louder."
This is the heart of what I was trying to say.

I agree with that. Weinstein (and I'm not his judge) appears to be completely guilty...
If Weinstein is charged, then any actors or actress found to have helped cover it up or stay silent about should be charged also...
I stand by that. And I don't mean all victims here. I specifically named Rose McGowan and said IF she took a payoff, which is in all the news on sites that people are linking to in this thread. I also specifically name Russell Crowe and Matt Damon.

For once, I'm glad because Weinstein's career is kaput.
Yeah, in all those quotes I barely mentioned Weinstein at all. Sure. Believe what you want. And I am NOT his judge. I say this despite what I think about the guy. I can't judge him. It's up to the authorities to do that if they enter the picture. That's all I meant about that. You've got me wrong despite anything you read into what I said. I've never been accused of anything so heinous.

Camo 10-13-17 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 1800332)
Camo:

So you're putting words in my mouth with "it's the rape victims who allowed this to happen obviously; shame on them for getting raped. Weinstein should sue them for causing him to continue raping women." This never entered my mind at all. You thought that one up.
You said they are just as guilty as Weinstein. They are just as bad as the rapist in your own words. And oh my god this is your exact words " So, to me, that makes her guilty of letting other women be abused by Weinstein" The very first thing i quoted. You say there that the rape victim is to blame for Weinstein continuing to rape, that's exactly what you're saying. If that's not what you mean then maybe you should take your advice from earlier for me and actually read what you're writing.

I'm not blaming them for being raped, for the love of God! I'm not some heartless scum. I'm saying what Lena Dunham said. Everyone in this thread has already talked about Weinstein. I'm still talking about him but I'm talking about what I heard then commenting on it. As is my right. If you think I'm blaming rape victims for being raped then I can't help you because you're wrong.
I'm not saying you are saying they are to blame for being raped. I'm saying you are trying to place some of the blame for Weinstein back onto the victims. That's exactly what you're doing and yes i'd say it's monstrous. It's not taking into account the trauma, shame, fear and guilt she most likely already feels from being abused by him; not to mention how powerful he is and yes he could crush her career. It's absolutely not one percent her fault that Weinstein continued raping people and you trying to turn it back onto his victims is wrong.

Yeah, in all those quotes I barely mentioned Weinstein at all. Sure. Believe what you want. And I am NOT his judge. I say this despite what I think about the guy. I can't judge him. It's up to the authorities to do that if they enter the picture. That's all I meant about that. You've got me wrong despite anything you read into what I said. I've never been accused of anything so heinous.
You judged his victim, you had no problem placing guilt onto her, why not the rapist?

Jeff Costello 10-13-17 05:17 AM

I'm taking these accusations with a big grain of salt. Did all of these actresses suddenly wake up from a 30-year hibernation ? They sold their integrity for a carrer progress and now they're trying to restore it by demonizing a fallen Hollywood producer and exaggerating sex out of interest into rape after they already made their money. Such brave and sincere victims ...

Iroquois 10-13-17 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Costello (Post 1800337)
I'm taking these accusations with a big grain of salt. Did all of these actresses suddenly wake up from a 30-year hibernation ? They sold their integrity for a carrer progress and now they're trying to restore it by demonizing a fallen Hollywood producer and exaggerating sex out of interest into rape after they already made their money. Such brave and sincere victims ...
Yeah, they're all just being so unfair to the poor, defenceless Hollywood producer...

Seriously, dude, read the room. It'd be one thing if you did just want to play the "innocent until proven guilty" card, but you've gone straight for the victim-blaming without even trying to question the particulars of the situation. It's already been established that the toxic side of Hollywood culture forces victims of powerful abusers to stay silent (often for years or even decades) for fear of repercussions against their career and life while the abusers themselves get to go free anyway, plus it certainly doesn't help that people so easily assume that these claims are fraudulent even when the numbers start adding up.

Dani8 10-13-17 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Costello (Post 1800337)
. Such brave and sincere victims ...
Wow talk about dripping with sarcasm, Jess. Brave and sincere VICTIMS for having harvey shove his chode in their faces and whatever else he got up to to control them like a sociopath? How about the men? How brave were they for 30 years to go along with it? And did they all cry like brave lil soldiers when Weinstein company forced harvey to pay them SHUT UP money to protect them with a statute of limitations and keep the cone of silence over hollywood rape culture nurtured?

Double standards, mate. This is what makes victims in rape culture voiceless. Would you be saying the same thing if it was the minors that Corey Feldman spoke about? I most certainly hope not.

dadgumblah 10-13-17 03:28 PM

I must clarify something about previous statements I've made on this thread. Despite the words I typed, I truly, in my heart, did not mean I blamed the victims of Harvey Weinstein for the assault he perpetrated up on them. I was brought up in a household where I learned that to hurt a woman in any way was not acceptable and unconscionable. I wanted to discuss this horrible news from all angles but there is really only one issue here: the victims. To blame the victims for their assault and their resulting fear was not what I meant, despite my ill-worded comments. While trying to sound intelligent, I stepped all over my tongue. I truly apologize to anyone I've offended and hope you'll accept it.

Swan 10-13-17 03:53 PM

Hey dadgumblah, I'm just now commenting on this but if it helps I step on my tongue all the time. :p I do think what you said sounded misguided though. The truth is it's very very hard to see the perspective of someone who dealt with sexual abuse, unless you've dealt with it yourself (and even then people deal with it in different ways). There are a million and one reasons sexually assaulted individuals don't speak up, at least not right away. I'm sure Argento had hers, and though I don't know her, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't a selfish reason. On top of that, losing her career could mean a lot of things, including ruining her name in general.

Camo 10-13-17 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by dadgumblah (Post 1800563)
I must clarify something about previous statements I've made on this thread. Despite the words I typed, I truly, in my heart, did not mean I blamed the victims of Harvey Weinstein for the assault he perpetrated up on them. I was brought up in a household where I learned that to hurt a woman in any way was not acceptable and unconscionable. I wanted to discuss this horrible news from all angles but there is really only one issue here: the victims. To blame the victims for their assault and their resulting fear was not what I meant, despite my ill-worded comments. While trying to sound intelligent, I stepped all over my tongue. I truly apologize to anyone I've offended and hope you'll accept it.
Thanks for this dadgumblah, takes alot to not double down when pressured. I apologize for being so harsh, and i did exaggerate some of what you were saying so i apologize for that too. I had a problem with Asia Argento who is a victim being blamed, i know from your posts here you're a good person which is probably what annoyed me more. Anyway thanks for this.

dadgumblah 10-13-17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Camo
Thanks for this dadgumblah, takes alot to not double down when pressured. I apologize for being so harsh, and i did exaggerate some of what you were saying so i apologize for that too. I had a problem with Asia Argento who is a victim being blamed, i know from your posts here you're a good person which is probably what annoyed me more. Anyway thanks for this.
You're welcome, Camo. Thanks for your kind words also. I appreciate it and I think you're pretty cool, too! :)

Dani8 10-13-17 04:57 PM

Oh dear

But as more stories of his allegedly predatory behaviour emerge, so too are questions about the people in Weinstein’s intimate circle who may have known and indeed helped the producer to gain physical access to young and unsuspecting women.
re Lombardo, exec of miramax italy

and this

Weinstein, Lombardo said, would not have needed him to meet women or anyone else. “He can pick up the phone and have lunch or dinner with whoever he wants,” he added.
What on earth? What a crock. I knew a producer who would do exactly that - grab women at social or work events and when they fought him off he'd grab their hand and shove it on his limp member, then tell all his colleagues they rejected his romantic advances. I was one of them. Unbeknownst to me at that time he was WELL known in the local film industry as a complete and utter pig (that's an insults to pigs) who stormed around like a maniac in his budgie smuggers, treated his female staff like an unpaid maid and basically just made everyone ill. Oh and he was very fond of not paying staff after forcing them to work 24 hours around the clock.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-alleged-fixer

Gangland 10-13-17 05:12 PM

And to think this kingmaker was brought down (rightfully so) by a sexual abuse scandal that snowballed from Devin Faraci, former editor of Birth.Movies.Death., and the Alamo Drafthouse's in house Jabba the Hutt, ****ing Harry Knowles. Amid the scandal with Knowles, his review of Blade 2 resurfaced, and it's just as cringe worthy as it was in 2002.

Camo 10-13-17 05:15 PM

Harry Knowles is definitely my nightmare villain. I hadn't heard of him until the sexual assault but yeah the dude is terrifying.

I mean is he in a wheelchair in that picture?

Dani8 10-13-17 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gangland (Post 1800667)
And to think this kingmaker was brought down (rightfully so) by a sexual abuse scandal that snowballed from Devin Faraci, former editor of Birth.Movies.Death., and the Alamo Drafthouse's in house Jabba the Hutt, ****ing Harry Knowles. Amid the scandal with Knowles, his review of Blade 2 resurfaced, and it's just as cringe worthy as it was in 2002.

]
I was going to say someone raping people in the industry is very different to making an r rated movie then I read half a paragraph and thought, Gangland, you re right. It's just this all pervasive filthy cloud in society. A young woman cant even walk down the street without hearing some guy is going to ram one in and give it to her. I have absolutely no doubt that young men get the same before one of the usual suspects wants to hit me with the out of date PC label.

eta I have never heard about him or the sexual assault matter

Gangland 10-13-17 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1800677)
I was going to say someone raping people in the industry is very different to making an r rated movie then I read half a paragraph and thought, Gangland, you re right. It's just this all pervasive filthy cloud in society. A young woman cant even walk down the street without hearing some guy is going to ram one in and give it to her. I have absolutely no doubt that young men get the same before one of the usual suspects wants to hit me with the out of date PC label.

eta I have never heard about him or the sexual assault matter
Harry Knowles, who wrote that Blade 2 review, has also been accused of sexual assault (though, the accusations are not as numerous as Weinstein).

Gangland 10-13-17 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1800671)
Harry Knowles is definitely my nightmare villain. I hadn't heard of him until the sexual assault but yeah the dude is terrifying.

I mean is he in a wheelchair in that picture?
Yea, he was in a bad accident and was crippled for a while. I think, after a few surgeries, he can walk again.

Camo 10-13-17 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gangland (Post 1800684)
Yea, he as in a bad accident and was crippleled for a while. I think, after a few surgeries, he can walk again.
Think he's scum of the earth but i still stop before wishing stuff like that on others, so that wasn't me making fun of him or anything for the record. Just wasn't sure if he was actually on a wheelchair or not, i actually edited that in like a minute later.

Gangland 10-13-17 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1800689)
Think he's scum of the earth but i still stop before wishing stuff like that on others, so that wasn't me making fun of him or anything for the record. Just wasn't sure if he was actually on a wheelchair or not, i actually edited that in like a minute later.
I didn't get the impression you were wishing any debilitating harm on him. I'm sure if he could have, he would have had girls dressed as twi'leks push him around on that platform couch Jabba had on Return of the Jedi (1983).

Dani8 10-13-17 06:54 PM

news.com.au which is the same ole same ole gutter press but a few interesting little comments here so take the whole with a grain of salt...or homemade jewish cakes and pastries

I wonder how bad Max is as far as running around intimidating people, and how much their dad set up the conflict.

Camo 10-13-17 07:13 PM

This is the worst post i've seen in my nearly five years on this site. I apparently had this guy on ignore for some reason, guess this is why:

This stuff is just not right, i think most of the right-leaning members who hate me will agree because i know they aren't bad people. This is just nasty.

Dani8 10-13-17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1800829)
This is the worst post i've seen in my nearly five years on this site. I apparently had this guy on ignore for some reason, guess this is why:

This stuff is just not right, i think most of the right-leaning members who hate me will agree because i know they aren't bad people. This is just nasty.
I've always got on with him in my short time here but I was bitterly disappointed with that. Victim blaming again. It is never EVER OK to use size and power to intimidate and shut up women, men or lgbt people, especially in the workplace. Who was the American Defence Force Commander recently giving a heart felt speech about respect?

Dani8 10-14-17 06:02 PM

Annnnd Harvey gets axed from the Academy. Well that did not take as long as I thought.

ashdoc 10-16-17 08:18 AM

http://www.freepressjournal.in/enter...tening/1154671

bollywood actress tweets---there are many weinsteins in bollywood .

ashdoc 10-16-17 08:56 AM

http://s3.india.com/wp-content/uploa...eti-madhur.jpg

in bollywood something like this had happened when an aspiring starlet named preeti jain filed a rape case against a big director named madhur bhandarkar . she says that she had approached him for roles in his films , and he agreed on the condition that she sleep with him . she did so 16 times according to her , but in the end did not get a single role in his films . he just fooled her---the infamous casting couch , but in this case there was only couch but no casting .

but the courts ruled that preeti slept with madhur of her own free will and he was not convicted . obviously a case of the rich and powerful getting scott free and little people not getting justice . after this preeti overreached herself . in sheer frustration she went to the mafia and gave a contract to get madhur killed . but the police got wind of this and she was arrested . actually she had become a heroine among women's rights groups for her boldness in exposing madhur , but she should not have gone to the mafia .

honeykid 10-16-17 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ashdoc (Post 1802452)
http://www.freepressjournal.in/enter...tening/1154671

bollywood actress tweets---there are many weinsteins in bollywood .
There are many 'Weinsteins' in Hollywood... And everywhere else where people have power over the lives and careers of 'the little people.' Both men and women.

Dani8 10-17-17 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1802500)
There are many 'Weinsteins' in Hollywood... And everywhere else where people have power over the lives and careers of 'the little people.' Both men and women.
Wow. Goes to show the culture is so entrenched and 'acceptable' that even in the unstable climate right now some people still cant keep it in their pants. Harvey's mate's attitude to the allegations is obvious.

This entire culture is complicit. And I'm so grateful that we are finally having this conversation. I am so hopeful that this is a tipping point and that there is a chance for real change. Because at a dinner party last month, I met a smart and funny female writer who'd just had to quit a job she loved because a high-powered executive who's very close to Harvey — and making a lot of "shocked and pained" noise this week in the hopes of protecting his company — wouldn't stop cornering her in rooms and propositioning her. And everyone knows. Just because the Times didn't write an exposé on him, doesn't make it not true. If we make this all about Harvey, we've already lost.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20171016

honeykid 10-18-17 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1803359)
If we make this all about Harvey, we've already lost.
I completely agree with this. The change may come (if it ever does) when the unsexy stories about people no one's heard of make the news.

Dani8 10-18-17 06:38 PM

Big move. Good on him.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/channing...co-1202190707/

Des 10-19-17 12:28 PM

How can he be fired from his own company? He just transferred his shares to his brother, stepped down, went to counseling and made it all legit.

Dani8 10-19-17 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Des (Post 1804784)
How can he be fired from his own company? He just transferred his shares to his brother, stepped down, went to counseling and made it all legit.
Any company director can be booted out.:shrug:

Yoda 10-19-17 01:31 PM

He can't be stripped of ownership, but he can be booted from other roles within the company by the Board of Directors, I believe. So if he's owner and CEO, for example, the board could boot him as CEO, but he'd still remain the owner. Something like that, I assume.

Des 10-19-17 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1804802)
He can't be stripped of ownership, but he can be booted from other roles within the company by the Board of Directors, I believe. So if he's owner and CEO, for example, the board could boot him as CEO, but he'd still remain the owner. Something like that, I assume.
I would hate to have your job, especially the part where you need to clarify things to some people, but hey we are not all on the same wave length, so I suppose it comes with the job.:)

Dani8 10-19-17 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Des (Post 1804851)
I would hate to have your job, especially the part where you need to clarify things to some people, but hey we are not all on the same wave length, so I suppose it comes with the job.:)
It's clearly laid out in the federal law so it's not like Harvey's penis got in the way of him understanding that.
Quite frankly I'm surprised someone would pick up on the oh no he was voted to stand down as director rather than all the crap he got up to for decades. Also, not comprehending what the cruise divorce agreement had to do with rape culture in hollywood.

Des 10-19-17 03:16 PM

The movie industry has been around for almost a century; the casting couch, just as long.
For the most part, it was thought of as a tradeoff, sex for advancement in career. Of course, there were also abuses in the system, where people were taken advantage of, lied to and forced upon.
As prevalent as it was, the only surprising thing is how few individuals ever got prosecuted.
A lot has to do with the change in the times, especially relating to behavior. What was once unacceptable became acceptable and vice versa.
In the last twenty years or so, a lot more focus was placed on sexual behavior, at least in this country.
The celebrities and power players in the film industry could control the media a lot easier before and keep things under wrap or sweep them under the carpet with payolas and such.
But, with the internet, it is becoming increasingly hard to control so guys like Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein got outed.
In the past, people either got paid off or were threatened with the cessation of their careers and then there was also the feeling of shame by the victim.
One thing is for sure and that is that for every Bill and Harvey there are thousands of them that will never see the light of day.
Such is the nature of the beast and the movie business, like some others, attracted many people that could take advantage of it. And they did!

Dani8 10-19-17 03:21 PM

I think you're missing the whole point that the reason so few were prosecuted was because of the cone of silence nurturing the culture for so long. It's why this has suddenly become a news because people are finally stepping forward.

Des 10-20-17 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1804877)
I think you're missing the whole point that the reason so few were prosecuted was because of the cone of silence nurturing the culture for so long. It's why this has suddenly become a news because people are finally stepping forward.
Funny, as I can see that clearly you missed my point or do you just read selectively?

Joel 10-20-17 10:22 AM

I'm holding casting session if anyone wants to sit on the couch. Bring knee high boots and edibles. Thanks!

Dani8 10-20-17 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Des (Post 1805385)
Funny, as I can see that clearly you missed my point or do you just read selectively?
'the only surprising thing is how few individuals were prosecuted'. Not surprising at all

considering
`the culture. You're justmissing the point.

ash_is_the_gal 10-20-17 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1804802)
can we have a board of directors for mofo

Des 10-20-17 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1805394)
'the only surprising thing is how few individuals were prosecuted'. Not surprising at all

considering
`the culture. You're justmissing the point.
Again, a very selective quote, which I went on to explain with the expanding role of media and internet. Sure it was part of the culture, like any thing else, but there were still many attempts to out it, which were suppressed by paid off media and other means
When you quote culture, you imply consent ( which did not apply to all cases ) whereas I emphasize protected action.
I don't think I missed anything. Carefully read the whole post, before posting things out of context.

Doolallyfrank 10-20-17 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Joel (Post 1805391)
I'm holding casting session if anyone wants to sit on the couch. Bring knee high boots and edibles. Thanks!
Not falling for that again, unless 8th time is a charm?

Dani8 10-20-17 11:31 AM

I implied no such thing concerning consent. Stop projecting.

Des 10-20-17 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1805431)
I implied no such thing concerning consent. Stop projecting.
I might need to get you an interpreter. No worries mate, it's on me:)