Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Shakespeare in Love or Saving Private Ryan? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=51705)

Ange1e4e5 10-21-17 08:56 PM

Shakespeare in Love or Saving Private Ryan?

So which movie do you prefer/remember more between Shakespeare in Love or Saving Private Ryan?

Saunch 10-21-17 09:05 PM

Re: Shakespeare in Love or Saving Private Ryan?

Pvt. Ryan.

No contest.

Ange1e4e5 10-21-17 09:41 PM

That's what I thought. Pvt. Ryan brings me to tears every time.

"Earn this... earn it."

Stirchley 10-23-17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1806588)
Pvt. Ryan.

No contest.
Agree. Shakespeare in Love, IMO was unwatchable.

Gideon58 10-24-17 06:13 PM

Don't remember either movie that well, but I sure wouldn't have given Shakespeare in Love the Oscar for Best Picture. The main thing I remember about Saving Pribvate Ryan is that it seemed 17 hours long, I didn't think that movie would ever end.

DocHoliday 10-24-17 06:36 PM

Shakespeare in Love actually isn't a bad movie at all. However, this isnt even remotely close. SPR by miles.

Steve Freeling 10-24-17 06:39 PM

What I remember most about Saving Private Ryan is that I couldn't sleep for three days. I saw that thing one time and I never wanted to watch it again.

Stirchley 10-25-17 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Freeling (Post 1808899)
What I remember most about Saving Private Ryan is that I couldn't sleep for three days. I saw that thing one time and I never wanted to watch it again.
One of my favorite movies. Seen it several times.

mattiasflgrtll6 05-20-19 02:41 AM

Shakespeare In Love. I was so disappointed after watching Saving Private Ryan. It waxed too much in patriotism, and the "anti-war" message I heard about was only present at the beginning. Other than that, it seemed to show getting into a war and fighting for your country even if half your men end up dead is a great thing. After Ryan was found he could have listened to the others and gone back home safely, but instead he made a very selfish decision by staying and essentially forcing the others to stay with him. Didn't sit right with me.

It's not a bad movie by any means, but it's not great either.

Citizen Rules 05-20-19 01:16 PM

I liked Shakespeare In Love, thought it was a neat movie and a fresh take on good ole Shakespeare. I liked Saving Private Ryan too. I find it limiting to think one has to like only one film and thus hating the other by default.

Stirchley 05-20-19 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 2012655)
I was so disappointed after watching Saving Private Ryan. It waxed too much in patriotism, and the "anti-war" message I heard about was only present at the beginning. Other than that, it seemed to show getting into a war and fighting for your country even if half your men end up dead is a great thing.
If patriotism means fighting for one’s own country, then, so be it.

What should America have done in your opinion: stayed out of WWII & let the Nazis run rampant? Sweden, IIRC, was neutral, but not every country was in a position to take that stance.

Saving Private Ryan is a brilliant movie & it honors the American lives lost.

mojofilter 05-22-19 09:47 AM

Saving Private Ryan is a cinematic masterpiece and one of the greatest war movies ever made with unforgettable scenes and performances.

Who even remembers Shakespeare in Love?? The Academy got it all wrong that year...

cricket 05-22-19 09:51 AM

I thought Saving Private Ryan was ok and didn't like Shakespeare in Love.

Jenson 05-22-19 09:58 AM

Saving Private Ryan. Shakespeare In Love isn't my type of movie.

Doolallyfrank 05-22-19 10:00 AM

Saving private Ryan wins by devastating knockout early in the 2nd round

Stirchley 05-22-19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mojofilter (Post 2013234)
Saving Private Ryan is a cinematic masterpiece and one of the greatest war movies ever made with unforgettable scenes and performances.

Who even remembers Shakespeare in Love?? The Academy got it all wrong that year...
Totally agree. I hated Shakespeare in Love. A very stupid movie.

jamieereynoldss 07-04-19 07:18 AM

Saving Private Ryan onlyy.

RIOTTO 07-05-19 04:07 AM

Shakespeare is definitely not a dreadful film using any and all means. Regardless, this isnt even remotely close. SPR by miles.

Hitchcockian 07-19-19 11:54 PM

The Trueman show was better than both, that should have won best picture, but it wasn't even nominated.

Apart from that, I'd choose Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare In Love.

WrinkledMind 07-24-19 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hitchcockian (Post 2024652)
The Trueman show was better than both, that should have won best picture, but it wasn't even nominated.

Apart from that, I'd choose Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare In Love.
And Carrey didn't even get nominated for Best Actor. I do kinda blame him for some of the film choices he makes, which in turn causes people to not take him seriously. But he should have at least been nominated for Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.