Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are your favorite low-budget films? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=64018)

CringeFest 05-26-21 01:55 AM

What are your favorite low-budget films?

I think the blair witch project was really good considering that they only seemed to have actors, tent, camera, and other very simple materials.

Yet, I'm sure someone has outdone them by now. What do you think?

xSookieStackhouse 05-26-21 03:46 AM

Re: What are your favorite low-budget films?

wow i dont know thats hard to pick

Wooley 05-26-21 09:10 AM

Hmm... probably too many to count. I have great affection for pulling anything off on a low budget.
The Beastmaster leaps to mind.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Mad Max, Night Of The Living Dead, Rocky, Halloween, Holy Grail, Rocky Horror, classics all.
Ms.45 is an old favorite.
I like some movies like Timerider, Space Hunter, and Trancers.
You get things like Let's Scare Jessica To Death, Alice, Sweet Alice, and I'm sure Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders didn't have a huge budget.

Honestly, I feel like I could fill this whole page with a list if I took the time. I mean, I feel like Scorsese, Lucas, a lot of directors, really, got worse the more money they were given to work with.

crumbsroom 05-26-21 09:42 AM

Messiah of Evil
Carnival of Souls
Last House on Dead End Street
Martin
God Told Me To
Deadly Spawn
Spider Baby
Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Portrait of Jason
Evil Dead
Curse of Her Flesh
Suffer Little Children
Frankenhooker

beelzebubble 05-26-21 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2207240)
Frankenhooker
The title alone is worth the price of admission.

AgrippinaX 05-26-21 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2207235)
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
That one’s alright, though.

Wooley 05-26-21 11:41 AM

Messiah of Evil
Carnival of Souls
Spider Baby
Evil Dead
Frankenhooker
Yes! I absolutely should have named all of these as well.

Captain Terror 05-26-21 11:49 AM

Suffer Little Children
This is much better than it has any right to be

Wooley 05-26-21 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2207248)
That one’s alright, though.
I am a big fan of its moody moodiness.
To be clearer, I enjoy lower-budget films that accomplish something they set out to accomplish more than a lot of other movies because, even as I'm watching the film for the film's sake, I am appreciating how they achieve it while so many other people are ****ting the bed with $30M, $50M, $100M.
Take Universal's sad attempt to create a "Dark Universe". They had a budget between $125-$195M for The Mummy and they couldn't get their heads outta their asses, probably because there was so much money in it, so The Invisible Man got scaled down to $7M and they hit it outta the park. On $7M they did everything they tried to do and created one helluva tense thriller and you have to respect that. You just have to. You gotta respect when filmmakers make things happen without the ability to just wave money at it.
Like The Beastmaster, for example, there's a shot where Coscarelli is tryin to create the sense of a large town/city in the background behind the characters, but they didn't have any money, so they do a forced-persepctive thing and you can totally tell, but instead of feeling like, "Ah, that's fake", I actually felt, "Ah, I respect that". And the movie kinda went up a point for me. In fact, they did so much with no money in that movie, I love it for the fun it is, but I love it more for what they were able to pull off.
That's what low-budget is about to me.
I honestly believe that if studios wanna make better movies... they should spend less money on them.

Wooley 05-26-21 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2207268)
This is much better than it has any right to be
*Adds to list*
Though, honestly, I'm adding all the ones Crumbs named that I hadn't seen to list.

Wooley 05-26-21 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2207241)
The title alone is worth the price of admission.
Amazing movie.

Sedai 05-26-21 12:08 PM

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/pr...21c8175b9b.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....18oSjMM6tL.jpg

http://assets.nflxext.com/us/boxshot...0/70170060.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SY679_.jpg

Captain Terror 05-26-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wooley (Post 2207270)
To be clearer, I enjoy lower-budget films that accomplish something they set out to accomplish more than a lot of other movies because, even as I'm watching the film for the film's sake, I am appreciating how they achieve it while so many other people are ****ting the bed with $30M, $50M, $100M.
Take Universal's sad attempt to create a "Dark Universe". They had a budget between $125-$195M for The Mummy and they couldn't get their heads outta their asses, probably because there was so much money in it, so The Invisible Man got scaled down to $7M and they hit it outta the park. On $7M they did everything they tried to do and created one helluva tense thriller and you have to respect that. You just have to. You gotta respect when filmmakers make things happen without the ability to just wave money at it.
Preach!
well said

ScarletLion 05-26-21 12:18 PM

Depends on your definition of low budget.

Under $500,000:

'Wendy and Lucy'
'Stalker'
'A Short Film about Killing'
'Funny Games'
'Spoorloos'
'Angst'
'Close Up'
'Primer'
'Nobody Knows'
'After Life'
'Taste of Cherry'
'Lebanon'
'Turtles Can Fly'
'Ratcatcher' - £30,000 !!!!!!!!!
'Lilyah-4-ever'
'Badlands' - $450,000 !!!!!!!
'Christmas in August'

Captain Terror 05-26-21 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

The Legend of Boggy Creek - budget: $100,000

KeyserCorleone 05-26-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CringeFest (Post 2207181)
I think the blair witch project was really good considering that they only seemed to have actors, tent, camera, and other very simple materials.

Yet, I'm sure someone has outdone them by now. What do you think?

BWP was awesome, but on the subject of low-budget horror in general, someone did beat it: James Wan with the original Saw.

rauldc14 05-26-21 12:57 PM

Coven

matt72582 05-26-21 02:07 PM

I wish IMDB had some kind of way to filter these results, because I have no idea about budgets or profits.

Citizen Rules 05-26-21 02:41 PM

Anything by Ed Wood Jr.

WorldFilmGeek 05-26-21 06:33 PM

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The Toxic Avenger
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Return to Nuke 'Em High Vol. 1 and 2
Tromeo and Juliet
Summer Job
Senior Week