Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Questions (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Unanswered:  One scene with women singing in a room with balcony window. (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58583)

Toad45 01-10-19 08:16 PM

One scene with women singing in a room with balcony window.

Saw a movie once on Easter Day, (but not necessarily a Easter movie). The only part that I remember was a scene with a huge room with a window covering one whole side of the room in front of a balcony type floor. The balcony was inside the window though. But the part I remember most is that it is a 1950 or 1960 movie with that different looking technicolor look. The actress is dressed in older style clothing from the time era and singing the most lovely song, the song grabbed my attention instantly. I knew the name of the movie the day I seen it but somehow forgot about a year later thinking about the song.

Not much more info than that, but I would know if the movie is it if I seen it again.

Gideon58 01-10-19 08:45 PM

Sounds a little like a scene in Pal Joel (1957)...the scene where Rita Hayworth does "Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered".

Toad45 01-10-19 09:07 PM

Re: One scene with women singing in a room with balcony window.

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 1981255)
Sounds a little like a scene in Pal Joel (1957)...the scene where Rita Hayworth does "Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered".
Just watched Pal Joey (1957) the scene of "Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered".
Its similar (same idea) but the movie I seen had a huge room (much wider) and it was really fancy and rich looking.
There was no bed in the background. I remember the room looking more modern for the time era than it took place.

OHForums 01-11-19 12:59 AM

Easter Parade fits the day and is a musical.

Another Judy Garland musical is Meet Me In St Louis

Toad45 01-11-19 01:48 AM

I have seen both those movies, but it's not them.
Another clue would be, she is alone in the room singing though.

OHForums 01-11-19 01:54 AM

Gigi

Mary Poppins

Sound of Music

Toad45 01-11-19 02:18 AM

Pretty sure it ain't Mary Poppins, but I will check out the other two, they don't sound familiar though.

Velvet 01-11-19 11:11 AM

I feel like I have a memory of a film like this too. Good luck!

Toad45 01-11-19 01:52 PM

Sound of music, West Side Story, or Gigi, not seeing any parts of the movies that look like what I remember.
I didn't find any songs in Gigi.

OHForums 01-11-19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Toad45 (Post 1981437)
I didn't find any songs in Gigi.
Make sure you're looking at the right Gigi

Gigi musical

Toad45 01-11-19 11:08 PM

The room in the movie Black Widow "1954" is very similar to how the room looks (in the movie I'm thinking of), but Black Widow has no songs. Just how there is a huge picture window in a wide room like you can see in Black Widow.

OHForums 01-12-19 01:56 AM

My Fair Lady

Toad45 01-12-19 05:48 PM

Thanks for the help, looks like it will remain a mystery movie forever.
Just saying, I been trying to find this movie for a long time now.
The movie in the video above is not it either.

Gideon58 01-12-19 06:05 PM

That video above is My Fair Lady, the "I Could Have Danced All Night" scene.

mark f 01-12-19 07:00 PM

Kiss Me Kate (1953) - the whole scene is a lot longer, but this gives you a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_YAKZH3lw

Toad45 01-12-19 09:29 PM

Problem with Kiss Me Kate is the song is way to fast, it was a slow song. The room is similar but the movie I am searching for has nobody else is in the room except the woman singer.

OHForums 01-12-19 09:46 PM

I don't think it's Phantom of the Opera, The King and I, Oklahoma!, Funny Girl, Chicago, An American In Paris, or Guys and Dolls.

Oliver! has a song with a solitary woman, but it's not an elegant room. But she has a solo in an old dress.
As Long As He Needs Me

Toad45 01-12-19 10:00 PM

"Oliver" has the right kind of sound to it, its on the right track.
It's not the movie though.

KEVP 01-13-19 03:40 PM

Hmm.
We are looking for a scene where a female singer sings a solo, is ALONE, and in a fairly RICH and FANCY ROOM.
Most of the suggestions don't meet those basic criteria.
I am thinking "Sweet Charity" where Shirley McClaine sings "If they could see me now" in a rich and fancy room, through most of the song she is alone, but Ricardo Montalban keeps popping in and out. But that room has a bed in it--but it is only shown briefly.
Okay, the OP says that the song made a large impression on them. Can you tell us more about the song? Was it slow or fast? A love song? A song about a relationship that has ended? About something else? What was the style of music, pop, rock, country, jazz, what? What instruments were on it?

Toad45 01-13-19 05:27 PM

Definitely a love song, sung slow. I don't remember any music in the background but if there was it was very quiet.
The singing itself was a smooth sound, more relaxing with no loud high notes. The high notes were there but more subtle.

I checked "Sweet Charity" "If They Could See Me Now", nope, not it.