Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies you couldn't even finish. (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=7442)

Stirchley 09-29-23 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2414569)
There is something to be said for humbling one self by watching things that don't immediately entertain or enlighten. Instead of constantly just glutting out on what we already know we will like. To me, only watching things I love sounds like an absolute bore.
I don’t have time for “humbling myself” & life is too stressful for such a thing. I need to lose myself in a movie & I can’t wait 2 hours for this to happen.

crumbsroom 09-29-23 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2414573)
I don’t have time for “humbling myself” & life is too stressful for such a thing. I need to lose myself in a movie & I can’t wait 2 hours for this to happen.
He stated that he didn't understand why someone would do this. I explained why someone would. Why it can make a difference in how one thinks about a film.

Watch movies however you like.

Corax 09-29-23 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2414568)
More like hell, no, I am out of here!

Yeah, it was kind of messy, conceptually. Peele is creative, but sometimes a little to clever for his own good.

I think the film that he should have made was the bit about the chimpanzee.

Captain Steel 09-29-23 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Corax (Post 2414586)
Yeah, it was kind of messy, conceptually. Peele is creative, but sometimes a little to clever for his own good.

Jordan Peele is no Rod Serling.

Maybe he should try making a buddy movie about two guys traveling across the country & get into all kinds of zany situations (...and maybe they have a chimp with them). Maybe have it star Key & Peele?

I personally wouldn't go see it... but then again, I don't personally go see anything.

Act III 09-30-23 03:00 PM

Re: Movies you couldn't even finish.

Babes in Toyland (1961)

A family musical from Disney, not my favorite thing to begin with, but the bizarre visuals were something I wanted to see. When it got to about 20 minutes in it became a movie about human trafficking and I am not interested in telling people about whether or not Disney made the selling of people entertaining or not.

Act III 09-30-23 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2414569)
Sometimes it takes a while to understand what a film is attempting to do. We have to adjust to its speed or tone or eccentricities before we can appreciate it. Otherwise, our tastes remain stagnant and boring if we don't challenge them. Some people are fine with this, and good for them, but I'm not. Films deserve more than that.

I would claim that at least half of the movies I would consider the best of all time, I initially hated or couldn't get into or was confused by in the first hour. But by sticking with it, they paid off. There is something to be said for humbling one self by watching things that don't immediately entertain or enlighten. Instead of constantly just glutting out on what we already know we will like. To me, only watching things I love sounds like an absolute bore.

And, FTR, even in instances when a film doesn't pay off and you still hate it, there is lots to learn from what one doesn't like. We understand the things we do like better by watching things we find to be terrible. It's what builds critical thinking (I know, I know, who cares about that these days)

In short, it's called curiosity and being inquisitive about the things we like. If one is a fan of films, it isn't hard to understand why one isn't always just looking for immediate gratification and might want to stray into unfamiliar waters. It pays off in the end.
I'm not a very political person, but the Reefer Madness film appears to be made to make reefer unappealing and geared towards the college demographic of the time. I totally sense that early 2000s college vibe/mindset. Like, say you were 20 and said "hey, I'm going to get this movie and watch it with my friends, we'll smoke a bowl and have a good time." Then everyone gets more uncomfortable as the movie progresses. It was like the man is teaching you a lesson or something. You thought you were home free but the man had control the whole time and hes watching you smoke it up. It was a trick.

Stirchley 10-11-23 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Excruciatingly bad.

Stirchley 10-13-23 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Atrocious movie. Did something I almost never do & threw it out. Twice I’ve tried to get into this movie & it’s impossible. Even Christie couldn’t save it.

I_Wear_Pants 10-15-23 03:55 AM

There's a Holocaust documentary that I tried watching a few months ago but it was too depressing to keep going. I don't know how they managed to make it that much more depressing than a lot of other Holocaust documentaries. I don't know why but I struggle with that subject. I can't even watch Schindler's List again... It's too depressing...

JeanneKKaufman 10-17-23 11:31 PM

Boyhood.... one of the few where I walked out of the theater

Stirchley 10-18-23 11:45 AM

Everything Everywhere All at Once

No clue what this movie is about.

wicckkjoe 10-19-23 10:23 AM

I also just recently waked out of Envy. I paid 10 bucks for about 20 minutes of bad bad film.

MonteCristo 10-24-23 04:33 PM

Off the top of my head, Righteous Kill. Horribly structured, lame MTV video style rapid-fire editing. DeNiro and Pacino both look tired and bored, no clue what was going on or why I should care. Lasted about 30 minutes.

Corax 10-24-23 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by MonteCristo (Post 2419261)
Off the top of my head, Righteous Kill. Horribly structured, lame MTV video style rapid-fire editing. DeNiro and Pacino both look tired and bored, no clue what was going on or why I should care. Lasted about 30 minutes.
Never saw it. Couldn't help but think that studios realized too late that they should have paired up these two more often. But they were too old for their roles in this one.

Gideon58 10-25-23 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2416933)

Excruciatingly bad.
I've never even heard of this movie.

Stirchley 10-27-23 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2419510)
I've never even heard of this movie.
You’re not missing anything.

Stirchley 10-30-23 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Corax 10-30-23 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2416933)
Western Guilt: The Movie
AKA
"The Trouble with Tribolites"

As one reviewer praised:
“The Forgiven” is a story that urges us to get a perspective. It makes us realize how entitled and privileged we are and how we take all of it for granted. Sitting comfortably on our couches, commenting on our nation’s foreign policies, and being obsessed and selfish about our own trivial struggles, we forget to be grateful for whatever life has given us. We forget to be empathetic towards those for whom the things we take for granted are also a privilege.
Apparently Westerners are also demon fossil thingees.

From the film,
I have no idea why you people have such a thirst for these stupid rocks. What do you see in them? All we know is that you want them and are prepared to pay money for them. Some of us believe... that these are the most evil creatures that ever existed... that they are the forms of dead demons. That is what they look like, you must admit. They must have an influence on our minds. An influence that is evil. And that's what attracts you to them.
Ray Fiennes explains that this character is basically correct.
“A lot of the reviews got caught up in how unlikable Jo and David were,” says Fiennes, over the phone. “Therefore: why should we waste our time with these people? That seems quite a simplistic reaction. I think John is making quite a moral film.

“He pushes all the offensive comments, yes. The disparaging, contemptuous attitude wasn’t compromised on, which I liked. But he’s not interested in celebrating; he’s pointing the finger. Some of the responses didn’t seem to be tuned in to the moral journey. Got a bit sidetracked by the louche behaviour.”
It's not that the film is reductive, but rather that it is courageous. It's just holding up a mirror to how bad you are. Now look! Gaze in the mirror!

Or, rather, just imagine that the characters from Succession showed up in a pious Muslim country and louted things up after killing a child. That's basically it.

Act III 11-02-23 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

The movies here that I finished were The Monitors, Hollow Man, Moulin Rouge, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Arrival and Get Him to the Greek (with lots of skipping), but the rest of these I could not finish. None of these movies would I like to try seeing again.

* The opinions here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of the other users and operators of this message board.

Stirchley 11-03-23 01:26 PM

⬆️ I love Arrival.

Act III 11-03-23 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2420959)
⬆️ I love Arrival.
The entering of the craft and how it has its own gravity controls internally was pretty cool. But many things about this movie really irk me. So much so that I had second thoughts about Approaching the Unknown and decided yeah, I will see it again before I see Arrival. But hey maybe Im too picky.

Gideon58 11-03-23 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2417344)

Atrocious movie. Did something I almost never do & threw it out. Twice I’ve tried to get into this movie & it’s impossible. Even Christie couldn’t save it.
I liked this movie...I thought Christie and Nolte were amazing. Here's a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...afterglow.html

Stirchley 11-06-23 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Stirchley 11-20-23 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Not bad, but tired of it. Emily Blunt should leave American accents alone.

Galactic Traveler 11-22-23 03:05 PM

I rarely turn off a movie or walk out of the theater despite how bad the film may be but have on a few. Probably one of the 10 worst movies I couldn't finish was 'Tarzan, the Ape Man.' Pure agony.

Stirchley 12-04-23 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Stirchley 12-06-23 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Not a fan of horror movies.

WHITBISSELL! 12-18-23 02:26 PM

I (along with 3 other people) quit on Asteroid City. Got about 10 minutes in. Never watched The French Dispatch but genuinely loved The Grand Budapest Hotel. Apparently Wes Anderson finally got lost up his own ass.

Prieneus 12-22-23 09:46 AM

Tried out Skinamarink yesterday, and couldn't make it to the end. Well, I guess I'm gonna finish that one sometime, as I don't normally leave my movies half-watched.

chawhee 12-28-23 09:21 AM

Heard many good things, but it just wasn't my type of movie after about an hour, so another hour+ didn't seem worth it.
https://www.ruetir.com/wp-content/up...is-talking.png

Stirchley 12-29-23 01:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Still in a coma with this one.

I either do or don’t like Wahlberg’s movies & this one I didn’t.

Balor 12-29-23 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2430095)

Still in a coma with this one.

I either do or don’t like Wahlberg’s movies & this one I didn’t.
The new Schrader was that bad?

Stirchley 12-29-23 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Balor (Post 2430105)
The new Schrader was that bad?
Strange movie, no clue where it was going & not interested in finding out.

Stirchley 01-01-24 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by WHITBISSELL! (Post 2428196)

I (along with 3 other people) quit on Asteroid City. Got about 10 minutes in. Never watched The French Dispatch but genuinely loved The Grand Budapest Hotel. Apparently Wes Anderson finally got lost up his own ass.
Just couldn’t make it to the finish line. Amazing how a writer & director can waste the talents of a huge ensemble of great actors.

stillmellow 01-01-24 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Corax (Post 2414586)

I enjoyed Nope, but the chimpanzee scenes were definitely the best and scariest. I think the movie works, but it's a step backwards from Get Out and Us, both top tier movies.

Nope's main weakness is right as the movie should be wrapping up, they essentially stop everything, carefully explain what's happening to the audience, and restart the movie as an action/adventure film for 30-40 minutes, constantly showing the monster in camera.

This was a bad choice. Peele tried way too hard to make an effective horror movie and turn it into a Spielburg film.

It's still fine, but disappointing. B-

Stirchley 02-05-24 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tried again. Opening scenes are good, but that’s it. Still can’t finish this movie.

ActionRocks 02-08-24 06:54 AM

Movies I couldn't finish (but then finished)

-The Big Boss
-Operation Condor: Armour of God II
-The Young Master

Books I couldn't finish

-Conspiracy 365 (March) - Bored, okay? I'll restart it eventaully
-Dork Diaries (HORRIBLE!!)

-Movies I could not finish

Vanguard (2020) Another basic Jackie Chan film

Dive Bar Casanova 02-16-24 11:43 AM

Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck. So bad people walking out got passes from the theater manager to return another day to see something else.

Mr. and Mrs Smith. Another walk-out stinker.

Stirchley 02-16-24 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dive Bar Casanova (Post 2439486)
Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck. So bad people walking out got passes from the theater manager to return another day to see something else.

Mr. and Mrs Smith. Another walk-out stinker.
Pearl Harbor got terrible reviews when it came out

Dive Bar Casanova 02-19-24 06:41 AM

Best reviewers I know are studio electricians before the flick is even released.
Some come into a local tavern we frequent and mid- production they'll always call it right if the movies is going to be good or not.

Stirchley 02-28-24 12:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Stirchley 03-01-24 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Oof, beyond boring.

Stirchley 03-15-24 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Bailed out PDQ. Everyone in Napoleonic France had a British accent except Bonaparte who had an American accent. :rolleyes:

So boring. :eek:

TheRiddlerMan2002 03-17-24 02:01 AM

Pink Flamingos (1972)

xSookieStackhouse 03-17-24 10:20 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...%29_poster.jpg

Exaladration 03-17-24 03:47 PM

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w500/d5NX...94XAgMIckC.jpg

Stirchley 03-18-24 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Captain Steel 03-18-24 05:33 PM

I notice a lot of these all-star-cast comedies & dramas showing up here.

Act III 03-20-24 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Two movies from 2023 found in the Hulu library.

Quasi was an okay comedy but I couldnt finish due to irreconcilable differences pertaining to specific subject matter. Theater camp was not movielike at all, having a grainy shaky cam and very much reminding me of The Office in every way without actually being in an office, so I quit watching 20 minutes in.

Stirchley 03-20-24 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2447266)
I notice a lot of these all-star-cast comedies & dramas showing up here.
You could say that about Oppenheimer. Everyone & his brother was in that movie. Casey Affleck’s cameo was miniscule.

Stirchley 04-01-24 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

This was fine until Conor NcGregor came on-board. Which was when I bailed out. Nice ass, but he can’t act to save his life.

Gwildor 04-01-24 03:10 PM

Just couldn't :)

https://louderthanwar.com/wp-content.../MM-scaled.jpg

Stirchley 04-01-24 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gwildor (Post 2451169)
Nope. Me either.

AgrippinaX 04-01-24 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2446483)

Bailed out PDQ. Everyone in Napoleonic France had a British accent except Bonaparte who had an American accent. :rolleyes:

So boring. :eek:
Pleased that I haven’t got around to either just yet! My mother laughed out loud throughout Napoleon, people got very cross. I’ll be skipping those, I guess…

Exaladration 04-06-24 09:37 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ll_at_Once.jpg

I just don't know why this movie is risen to the stars! I give up at the half of the movie!

AgrippinaX 04-06-24 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2451128)

This was fine until Conor NcGregor came on-board. Which was when I bailed out. Nice ass, but he can’t act to save his life.
I thought he was hilarious. Let’s face it, nothing in that movie is winning any awards.

Stirchley 04-08-24 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Exaladration (Post 2452523)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ll_at_Once.jpg

I just don't know why this movie is risen to the stars! I give up at the half of the movie!
Same. I bailed out.

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2452525)
I thought he was hilarious. Let’s face it, nothing in that movie is winning any awards.
I thought Jake was terrific.

AgrippinaX 04-08-24 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2453005)
I thought Jake was terrific.
He was! He’s got such charisma. Still no awards for this movie imo.

Stirchley 04-15-24 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Ugh, why did I think I would like this. :eek:

Stirchley 04-19-24 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Huge fan of Adam Driver, but had to bail out. Everyone speaking English with Italian accents was distracting. Also I had no idea who the referenced people were so couldn’t relate to the movie at all.

Stirchley 04-26-24 01:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)