Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Silence Of The Lambs V.S. The Exorcist (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58536)

TONGO 01-06-19 01:53 AM

Silence Of The Lambs V.S. The Exorcist

2 Attachment(s)
Which movie did you like more?

rambond 01-06-19 03:29 AM

Re: Silence Of The Lambs V.S. The Exorcist

i voted the excorcist, because its the originality here, it was the beginning of it all, excorcism of a normal child hit by a demonic force and what comes after is pure horror, fear, dread, call it whatever u like, while silence of the lambs is a totally different thing, it s a crime thriller that goes really deep into human subconscious and even doesn t feel dated after 30 years of release, a classic but has nothing to do with the excorcist, two totally different movie genres

Cyberpunk 01-06-19 11:44 AM

Weird how The Silence of the Lambs is considered "horror", yet Manhunter is seen as a thriller. I guess it's the way those films were directed because the story of Manhunter is more horrifying than The Silence of the Lambs, if anything.

Optimus 01-06-19 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberpunk (Post 1979647)
Weird how The Silence of the Lambs is considered "horror", yet Manhunter is seen as a thriller. I guess it's the way those films were directed because the story of Manhunter is more horrifying than The Silence of the Lambs, if anything.
Think it's the other way round mate.

Cyberpunk 01-06-19 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1979650)
Sorry, but I find Francis Dollarhyde much more terrifying than James Gumb. Francis Dollarhyde is physically intimating, schizophrenic, is into necrophilia, murders entire families, and what he did to Freddy Lounds was far much gruesome. James Gumb doesn't even compare. Hell, we don't even see James Gumb murder anyone on screen. The Silence of the Lambs is a better film, but Francis Dollarhyde is a far more brutal villain.

rambond 01-06-19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus (Post 1979650)
both movies again, have nothing to do with horror, so please stop dwelling into it as if these movies are horror movies, both are crime thriller, that s is it.

Optimus 01-06-19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rambond (Post 1979698)
both movies again, have nothing to do with horror, so please stop dwelling into it as if these movies are horror movies, both are crime thriller, that s is it.
Wrong again. Manhunter is actually labelled as a crime horror.

TONGO 01-06-19 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by rambond (Post 1979698)
A weird analogy but saying that the Silence of the Lambs is not a horror movie, or novel, it's like saying Unbreakable isn't a comic book movie. It is, technically, but it's all truly just subjective. For me I think both Silence of the Lambs and The Exorcist we're horror movies because they displayed outright evil, gore, and scared you. That's my definition of horror though, everyone has their own because there's no set definition for it set in stone.

I read the Thomas Harris novels & agree that Jame Gumb isn't as scary as Dollarhyde (sorry Ralph Fiennes couldn't Act 6 inches of height and another 100 lbs of muscle on himself in Red Dragon), but both are but rays of light compared to Lecters sun. I would consider Red Dragon/Manhunter horror too, like "smart" horror, and true stories of serial killers horror too. That would be True Crime/Horror, right? Just like flicks categorized Drama/Comedy, etc...

Larry 01-06-19 05:22 PM

These are both special films. Very difficult to pick between them given how different they are. On the slimmest of margins I’ll go silence although I have seen the exorcist recently and it’s as close to perfect a film I have seen which is also how I would describe silence.

Larry 01-06-19 05:23 PM

Very mean of the original poster to pit these agaisnt each other.

JoaoRodrigues 01-06-19 05:35 PM

I picked Silence of The Lambs but I don't really have a reason. Is like making me choose between lasagna or pizza.

Cyberpunk 01-06-19 05:39 PM

I think people consider The Silence of the Lambs "horror" because Hannibal Lecter comes off as a movie monster. He's the only fantastical element in this crime thriller setting.

Saunch 01-06-19 05:41 PM

Didn’t Hannibal have his chops with peas on the side?

TONGO 01-06-19 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Larry (Post 1979750)
Very mean of the original poster to pit these agaisnt each other.
I know :) These matchups to me are the best because for sheer enjoyment its a photo finish.

I think its fair to compare the 2 to each other, not like its Caddyshack V.S. Saving Private Ryan lol!

cricket 01-06-19 08:16 PM

I always compare Silence to Se7en and The Exorcist to The Shining. Anyway, I voted Exorcist but both 5/5.

pahaK 01-06-19 08:20 PM

Both are good but I like The Exorcist a lot more (one of the few 5/5 films for me).

rambond 01-07-19 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1979795)
I always compare Silence to Se7en and The Exorcist to The Shining. Anyway, I voted Exorcist but both 5/5.
that s how the comparison needs to be done anyway

TONGO 01-07-19 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1979795)
imo
1 SOTL
2 The Exorcist
3 Se7en
4 The Shining

ironpony 01-07-19 04:04 PM

I always compare The Exorcist to Carrie, but I guess The Shining is similar enough to compare as well.

Nostromo87 01-08-19 03:06 PM

10 Attachment(s)