Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is the mission in "Saving Private Ryan" a worthy one? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=34415)

gandalf26 01-11-14 09:47 PM

Is the mission in "Saving Private Ryan" a worthy one?

In you personal opinion is the sending of 8 men to their likely deaths a worthy one, considering their mission is to find and save one man who has a high likelihood of already being dead? All seemingly to save the mans mother further anguish following the deaths of her other 3 sons.

Discuss

The Rodent 01-11-14 09:52 PM

Re: Is the mission in "Saving Private Ryan" a worthy one?

I think Hanks' character summed it up pretty well tbh.

Along the lines of:

For every soldier I lose under my command, I save a hundred more. If saving Ryan's life to spare his Mother the anguish of another folded American flag will award me the right to go home, then that's what I'll do.

I think the mission is a morality/spiritual mission more than anything.

mark f 01-11-14 10:24 PM

He also talks about getting back to his wife. Hanks' fate is actually the only part my wife doesn't like about the film.

Monkeypunch 01-11-14 11:16 PM

Yes. It's a way for the soldiers to reclaim their humanity in a brutal situation, it's showing kindness to another in a time when killing is more prevalent. The only thing I dislike is when Tom Hanks tells Ryan "Earn this." That was not what the whole story was about. Way to guilt trip a guy, Hanks!

wintertriangles 01-12-14 08:20 AM

I'm not sure how it's a morality/spiritual mission, since the enemy was essentially depicted as a blubbering monkey and Spielberg's "every german should die" mentality is off-putting (it's not the 1940s), especially in a situation where he only recognized USA USA USA with a flag at the end (who cares about our allies).

I'm also not sure how it's a way to reclaim humanity. During the whole middle we have to hear about all their past stories, which makes me think "so several sad families is better than Ryan's mother, great." It's just another vehicle for Spielberg sentimentality, there's no point to this mission other than to rip off better movies and make money.

Gabrielle947 01-12-14 08:56 AM

In real life,probably the death of few borthers wouldn't be even noticed.
But is it a worthy one if it was?I'd say yes,it's a drop of humanity in the war madness.

VFN 01-12-14 03:42 PM

Interesting question about which I'm unsure. Ryan's mother would probably say yes.

Mmmm Donuts 01-12-14 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 1016222)
I'm not sure how it's a morality/spiritual mission, since the enemy was essentially depicted as a blubbering monkey and Spielberg's "every german should die" mentality is off-putting (it's not the 1940s), especially in a situation where he only recognized USA USA USA with a flag at the end (who cares about our allies).

I'm also not sure how it's a way to reclaim humanity. During the whole middle we have to hear about all their past stories, which makes me think "so several sad families is better than Ryan's mother, great." It's just another vehicle for Spielberg sentimentality, there's no point to this mission other than to rip off better movies and make money.
Well, you're certainly unbiased there.

I agree with Rodent, though.

BlueLion 01-12-14 03:52 PM

It's just another vehicle for Spielberg sentimentality, there's no point to this mission other than to rip off better movies and make money.
That's your opinion. In my opinion, it's the best war film ever made. So there.

Guaporense 01-12-14 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 1015973)
In you personal opinion is the sending of 8 men to their likely deaths a worthy one, considering their mission is to find and save one man who has a high likelihood of already being dead? All seemingly to save the mans mother further anguish following the deaths of her other 3 sons.

Discuss
Of course not. It's just a movie script designed to create dramatic effect.

End of discussion.

Guaporense 01-12-14 03:58 PM

While it's true that this movie depicts the Germans as inhuman monsters but that's standard in many movies and works of fiction from other countries (the Space Battleship Yamato TV series, for instance, depicted the US as an evil alien empire) and at least it's not an extremely serious film like Come and See.

Agree completely on the rest of your points, though.

Guaporense 01-12-14 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlueLion (Post 1016336)
I think that even Warhorse may be a better war film than Saving Private Ryan.

My top 2 warfilms would be Apocalypse Now and Grave of the Fireflies. With Kobayashi, The Human Condition, trilogy, at a 3rd place.

Mmmm Donuts 01-12-14 04:00 PM

Also, Wintertriangles seems to have forgotten the opening battle scene, D-Day. It depicted Allied soldiers killing unarmed German men (who had already surrendered) in cold blood.

Mr Minio 01-12-14 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlueLion (Post 1016336)
The Burmese Harp
Ballad of a Soldier
Come and See
The Pianist
The Third Part of the Night
The Thin Red Line
City of Life and Death
Destiny of a Man
The Cranes Are Flying
Ivan's Childhood
Check-up On the Roads
The Human Condition Trilogy
A Shop on the High Street
The Dawns Here Are Quiet
Rome, Open City
Ascent
Fires on the Plain
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Paths of Glory
Kanał
Platoon
Diamonds of the Night

... Schindler's List.

I don't even think it's Spielberg's best war film. :)

Mmmm Donuts 01-12-14 04:06 PM

Well, the title of "best war film ever" is debatable. But one thing's for sure. It has one of the greatest portrayals of D-Day in a movie, ever.

I have been shown the intro sequence TWICE during my school career. That says something, when Social Studies and History teachers resort to it when learning about WWII.

BlueLion 01-12-14 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1016349)
My top 2 warfilms would be Apocalypse Now and Grave of the Fireflies. With Kobayashi, The Human Condition, trilogy, at a 3rd place.
Apocalypse Now is very good, still, it didn't feel quite real to me. It looked like an extremely well made film, but the final act was somewhat disappointing, though after a rewatch my opinion might change completely.

Saving Private Ryan, on the other hand, looked so real that it sent shivers down my spine. It doesn't even look like a film.

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1016354)
I don't even think it's Spielberg's best war film. :)
Fair enough. I think it's Spielberg's masterwork. Better than Jaws, Schindler's List, or anything else he's done.

Daniel M 01-12-14 04:30 PM

That's completely untrue. The German's are not depicted like that, and I think that the Americans are showed to be more inhuman and disgusting at times, I didn't particularly like many of the main characters. Jeremy Davies' character offers a balance and sensibility the counters the barbarism of his team mates, and almost all the scenes with his character make an anti-war point for me. I was disgusted by some of the American actions/attitude, in part down to the movie and how all the characters were built.

bluedeed 01-13-14 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1016340)
Of course not. It's just a movie script designed to create dramatic effect.

End of discussion.
Ban Guaporense 2014!

Seriously man, don't be a d*ck. Any movie could be looked at in this mindset, and you might find that to be true, but it's nowhere near an interesting or worthwhile point to bring up. It's just dull and a disrespect to anyone who's put their actual opinions and analyses up. Stop confusing discussion with debate or argument, the point is to fuel interesting conversation, not prove yourself right.

earlsmoviepicks 01-13-14 09:43 AM

Tactically probably not. Spiritually and for the sake of the movie absolutely.