Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Omni's Random Video Noise (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=44485)

Omnizoa 01-14-16 12:27 AM

Omni's Random Video Noise

2 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1516392056

New Trope Lexicon:
Apocalypse Mom Syndrome: When a female character decides that a world invaded by aliens, decimated by a plague, or overrun by flesh-eating cannibals is a great time to get pregnant.
Monogamy Syndrome: When the idea of polygamy triggers a possessive character to behave irrationally, often derailing the plot.
Overnight Romance: When characters spend less time developing a romantic relationship in-universe than the actual runtime of the movie.
Sad Chekov: When Chekhov's Gun is implied, but neglected.
Schindler's Twist: When a Bad Guy performs a plot-critical Heel-Face Turn without any warning or apparent provocation.

Omnizoa 01-24-16 08:22 AM

http://45.media.tumblr.com/77b43ecc3...d6w3o1_400.gif

Metropolis
Sci-Fi Drama / German / 1927

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
For the Sci-Fi Movie Countdown.

In the spirit of total transparency
, I don't watch many black and white movies. In fact, the number of black and white movies I've seen can probably be counted on one hand.

Even less so for silent films. In fact, I've never seen one.

WHAT'D I THINK? *SPOILERS*
"The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart!"

I've long since been turned off by movies that lack recorded dialog because they're fundamentally less engaging if I'm distracted by the fact that black cards with text need to be put up after long periods of mute talking between characters. That and a complete lack of color only really serve to remind me that I'm watching a movie and reminding me that I'm watching a movie during anything other than an attempt to lampshade the fourth wall only serves to break my immersion.

Suffice it to say, I don't hold very high expectations for old movies, and it's not like Metropolis would convince me it isn't stuck in the past if it were in sound and color either.

Metropolis has a number of qualities indicative of very old movies such as the unrealistic speed the movie plays at, the erratic overacting to compensate for lack of being able to hear the urgency in their voices, and the eye makeup which I'm pretty sure exists only to emphasize facial expressions in the face of extreme contrast.

I don't think I was ever totally immersed in Metropolis,
but to honest, I was totally engrossed.

German Expressionism is a term I hear thrown around a lot and it's always been a sort of vague term used to refer to a sort of exaggerated presentation where reality is abstracted to appear surreal. If I was asked prior to watching Metropolis what German Expressionism looks like, I think I'd have trouble describing it, but now having seen it, I feel comfortable now simply pointing at the opening shot of the movie.

We're offered brief glimpses of whirring machinery and a ticking clock prior to a title card that informs us that it's "Shift Change" and we're presented with the image of rows of men, all in black, all downcast, all marching in uniform beat into one set of gates, while another row of men, leave them a second set of gates identical in every way save the fact that their march is just slow enough to be noticeable.

Instantly, I have a strong impression of what this world is like: the working lower class has been beaten into submission and obedience, there's no joy in what they do, and however gloomy they may be going to work, they're even worse coming out. These people are clearly oppressed and I haven't even seen the oppressors yet.

THIS is the style of film-making I appreciate most. It's artificiality is just barely realistic, but it telegraphs so much to me in it's focused approach that I can't not understand exactly what the movie wants me to think and feel about what's going on.

This style persists throughout much of the movie as we learn that these men are workers who live in "The Depths", a city beneath "Metropolis", where they work on the "Heart Machine", which powers the city and enables the wealthy upperclass like the so-called master of Metropolis, Joh Fredersen and his son, Freder (amusingly named Freder Fredersen). Even the names for things beyond the characters are pleasingly generic. We needn't have to open up a Tolkien Dictionary to understand that Metropolis is the city, The Depths are it's underground, and the Heart Machine runs it all, they're named to be convenient and straightforward.

Not that it would be even remotely difficult to understand anything if they were given actual unique names other than descriptors, but generic names like these serve not only to identify, but to specify: Virtually nothing is told to us about what the Heart Machine is or what it does, but it's purpose is easily inferred.

Sure enough, we're given insight into the luxury of Freder and his life under the thumb of the hard-edged businessman Joh and we get a distinct impression of the classist inequalities in the system he manages through his demeanor and interactions with people.

A big thing I appreciate about the dialog cards is that they're ignored entirely during conversations where body language sufficiently portrays the characters' reactions and relationships with each other. There's no need to hear what's being said in most cases throughout the movie because only key lines of dialog are necessary to drive the plot or make sense of the action on screen. Honestly, I sort of wish the dialog cards were phased out further as the movie went on, but they're sparse as it is, so that's really only a nitpick.

Less of a nitpick is the overacting. As the movie goes on we learn that the workers are attending gatherings where they meet Maria, a woman who tells them a variation on the story of the Tower of Babel. She informs the masses that "the mediator between the head and hands must be the heart" which is a somewhat unsubtle metaphor about the morality that is necessary for a top-down government to work, which is made explicitly clear by the end of the film.

The overacting comes in where one of these gatherings is observed by Joh and his mad scientist buddy/rival/person, the unfortunately named Rotwang, and they conceive to sow discord in the underclass by replacing Maria with a robot body double.

When Rotwang pursues Maria with no clear intentions beyond shining a flashlight on her, we're witness to some of the most hilariously bad overracting I've seen. Maria goes mad with fear and the sped up footage only makes the chase look silly.

I'd be inclined to say this makes for the weakest performance in the movie, but the actor playing Maria goes on to steal the show when she also portrays the disturbingly lusty "Man-Machine" body double.

Frankly, the overacting is only really distracting insofar as you can suspend your disbelief that the Man Machine has an unrealistic ability for persuasion, which is honestly easier to accept when you can't hear what she's actually saying most of the time.

She inexplicably manages to both rile a mob and incite nearly all of the upperclass men to lust after her in blind infatuation. In this regard she must easily be one of the most destructive femme fatales ever put to film.

Whatever you think happens next is probably what happens, Metropolis isn't a terribly surprising movie, but what it manages to do with a predictable plot is tell a largely compelling, important, and coherent story about classism where the low rise up and the high fall down.

"Coherent" is perhaps the most arguable point there given Metropolis's tendency to venture directly into hallucinatory symbolism with little real regard as to why. Near the beginning of the movie, Freder witnesses an explosion in The Depths and the intriguingly designed machine that the workers are running becomes that of a giant gaping devil's maw which workers are being thrown into.

The symbolism is pretty obvious here, but similar incidents later on are just confusing and just raise the question of whether or not Freder is even mentally sound.

The Man Machine's dance sequence appears to come out of nowhere and lasts much longer than it really has any need to be, which is something I would say about much of the first two-thirds of the movie as well.

Many scenes are drawn out longer than necessary to get the given point across and it only hammers home the fact that Metropolis runs for a wicked 2 hours even in it's incomplete form.

I felt like the halfway point in this movie should have been about the time it was wrapping up, but even so the 2 hour runtime managed to also holster my previous assumptions about the movie due to it's age and limitations.

I've been watching the critically lauded Kara no Kyoukai series and despite full voice acting, sound effects, color, exceptional animation, and even a run time averaging half the length of Metropolis, they bored me to tears.

I was never bored with Metropolis, and to think I didn't even see the whole movie since many scenes were missing in the version I watched. The whole movie runs approximately 30 minutes longer and I can't really say I wasn't missing them.

It's a shame that Fritz Lang would go on to say he was disgusted with the movie, I'll admit it was perhaps overly simplistic in it's message, but it's still an important message, if not the best movie I've seen to tackle the topic. Supposedly the Nazis were a big fan of Metropolis and I can see why given their stylistic preferences, but hopefully that's the real reason Fritz disparaged it as much as he did, no one wants to admit they like the same thing as a Nazi.

It's kinda funny when you say it out loud though.

All told, I really liked Metropolis, and based on my impressions of the unfinished version, I'm certain I'll like the Restored Version when I see it.

I'm looking forward to it.

REWATCH UPDATE:
Heron, Peacocks, Kissing.

I've now seen an improved version of Metropolis with a couple different scenes restored. It helpfully bridges the gap between events and elaborates on all but one of the biggest scenes I missed before (I still haven't seen the fight between Joh and Rotwang).

A couple flaws have caught my attention this time around including a couple continuity errors. The message for Assistant Guy and Worker Guy is practically identical and contains only a glimpses' necessity of information, but it's shown repeatedly on screen to little benefit.

The relationship between Hel and Rotwang's robot is also tenuous at best given it's never explained. Was the Man-Machine inspired by her? Is that the implication? They put a fair amount of narrative weight on this point given this among other things including the cause for Rotwang's estranged relationship with Joh is unknown to us.

Perhaps most egregious is just how heavyhanded it winds up feeling when it contrives to have every worker in Metropolis forget about their children. Didn't they know that destroying the Heart Machine would drown the city? Wasn't abandoning the city part of the plan? You're gonna abandon it without your children? Fricken' morons.

I really can't overlook this point since I really can't adequately explain it away.

Besides that though, I still enjoyed the movie. Even longer this time, it still managed to keep my interest, but I'm still reluctant to sign off on it without having seen other Fritz Lang/German Expressionist movies like M or The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

We'll have to see.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Iroquois 01-24-16 08:56 AM

Re: Dragon Tiger Gate (To B-Movie and Beyond!)

Not a bad review, but this does not look like a movie that "takes itself too seriously".

Omnizoa 01-24-16 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1445693)
Not a bad review, but this does not look like a movie that "takes itself too seriously".
Oh, but it does. It gets melodramatic as hell. It sells itself on the action, but about a third of the movie are shots of the characters staring longingly out into space and monologuing about their childhoods when they were totally different child actors in equally awkward scenes.

Iroquois 01-24-16 11:31 PM

Obviously, I can't comment too extensively on a movie I haven't seen, but just because an action movie is willing to get melodramatic doesn't automatically mean that it's taking itself too seriously. Films like Kung Fu Hustle and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World are like live-action cartoons but they still manage to interject some serious dramatic moments into their action-based stories. Maybe in the case of Dragon Tiger Gate they weren't effective, but again, I can't comment. Will have to see this for myself to really provide a specific opinion.

Omnizoa 01-24-16 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1446386)
Obviously, I can't comment too extensively on a movie I haven't seen, but just because an action movie is willing to get melodramatic doesn't automatically mean that it's taking itself too seriously. Films like Kung Fu Hustle and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World are like live-action cartoons but they still manage to interject some serious dramatic moments into their action-based stories. Maybe in the case of Dragon Tiger Gate they weren't effective, but again, I can't comment. Will have to see this for myself to really provide a specific opinion.
Haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle, but Dragon Tiger Gate's not a comedy at all. It has a couple intentionally humorous moments mostly at the expense of a joke character and with henchmen reaction shots, but it feels a lot more Terminator 2 in it's attempts at emotional drama.

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpre...8/thumbsup.gif

In one scene where a character gets killed with a flurry slash attacks they cut to the guy's daughter who witnesses it. We're obviously supposed to care about him since he gets all this set up so the music is all sorrowful and she's crying and she runs up to each guy who fought him and weakly flails at them in a similar manner. It's just unintentionally funny since I can totally imagine stock slashing sound effects while she does it.

Iroquois 01-24-16 11:59 PM

Hmm, I guess I will have to watch it for myself then.

skizzerflake 01-31-16 03:58 PM

I read your review of Metropolis and it's interesting to see the remarks of a silent-virgin. I have an off-again-on-again fascination with silents. You have to just completely suspend your disbelief for a couple hours but once you have done that, some of then are really pretty good. They were made by film makers who were as talented as anybody around today and who were still inventing a medium that drew on the traditions of staged melodrama. I love Metropolis, see hints of if in many subsequent sci-fi films and real world architecture as well as the perverted modernism of the Nazis. As an amateur/semi-pro photographer, I look at Metropolis and am amazed at the quality of composition and image in almost every frame. It's about as good as black and white will ever be. You have to live with the mime-like acting. That and the eye makeup were the main ways those actors expressed emotion. It's why few silent actors made the transition to sound...the could not under-act, especially relative to early talkies, which, with their primitive recording apparatus, required actors to stand still within a few feet of the one and only microphone.

I believe that there are several "completed" versions of the movie. It's out of copyright so many people have tried to piece it together with bits and pieces of surviving film. It was nearly lost for decades.

If you ever get the chance to see this, there are several musical groups that perform live music with silents. I have seen Nosferatu and Phantom of the Opera with live music and it really brings them to life. One group even had a colorized version of Phantom, which was produced like the original which had manually tinted color, done frame by frame with little tiny paintbrushes. The contemporary version was done digitally (also frame by frame), but elite copies of the movie were presented with the hand tinting back in the day.

Omnizoa 01-31-16 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by skizzerflake (Post 1450158)
As an amateur/semi-pro photographer, I look at Metropolis and am amazed at the quality of composition and image in almost every frame. It's about as good as black and white will ever be.
I've seen bits and pieces of a few different versions of Metropolis by now and I was also surprised to see that some of them are very high quality. I'm still not sure if they were touched up after the fact or what.

Originally Posted by skizzerflake
You have to live with the mime-like acting. That and the eye makeup were the main ways those actors expressed emotion.
I kinda dug the eye makeup actually, it's just the general misunderstanding of subtle acting that seems to evade most of the cast. Joh Fredersen is probably the most unemotional character in the movie and it's still pretty easy to read him.

It's why few silent actors made the transition to sound...the could not under-act, especially relative to early talkies, which, with their primitive recording apparatus, required actors to stand still within a few feet of the one and only microphone.
"Why do we have to do this crap? This'll never catch on!"

If you ever get the chance to see this, there are several musical groups that perform live music with silents. I have seen Nosferatu and Phantom of the Opera with live music and it really brings them to life.
Well, I didn't mention it but Metropolis had music. Since it was the butchered version though I'm pretty sure some of the tracks aren't properly synced to the action.

One group even had a colorized version of Phantom, which was produced like the original which had manually tinted color, done frame by frame with little tiny paintbrushes. The contemporary version was done digitally (also frame by frame), but elite copies of the movie were presented with the hand tinting back in the day.
That's interesting. I found this image of a colorized shot of Metropolis:

http://rbowser.tripod.com/metropolis/film11.jpg

Unfortunately, I feel that in this case, where the environments are intended to be fantastical it is perhaps sometimes best to leave them up to our imaginations, especially when Metropolis is mainly set in industrial locations which would likely be grey to begin with.

This shot appears a lot brighter and more cheerful than the scene really calls for, probably because it wasn't being shot in color.

Guaporense 01-31-16 08:50 PM

Re: Omni's First Silent Film: Metropolis (1927)

My first silent movie was Modern Times (1936). I have to get over Metropolis some day as well, I have only watched M from Lang.

Omnizoa 02-01-16 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Guaporense (Post 1450327)
I have only watched M from Lang.
I've had that one recommended to me, what's that one like?

Guaporense 02-01-16 03:46 PM

Thriller, very exciting and pretty well made and powerful as well. A genuine classic.

Mäx 02-01-16 04:17 PM

But not a silent movie, if you should expect that, Omnizoa.

Omnizoa 02-01-16 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mäx (Post 1450588)
But not a silent movie, if you should expect that, Omnizoa.
It's not a "talkie".

Omnizoa 02-08-16 01:28 PM

Omni's Random Video Noise

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1464884756

Dragon Tiger Gate
Martial Arts / Chinese / 2006

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
When I hear people talk about B-Movies, they too often drift into "so bad it's good" territory which is just not a territory I'm familiar with or interested in. I get why you'd laugh at something really bad, but that's not enough to convince me your movie is worth my [reassessment] time.

No, when I think of B-Movies, I think of Dragon Tiger Gate, a movie that tries SO HARD to be cooler than it is that it ALMOST gets there.

Take the following screenshot for example:

Pictured Above: A totally awesome fight scene interrupted by poorly timed slow-mo shot.

That's not just a random screencap, that's a pose that the movie slows down and zooms in to capture.

Dragon Tiger Gate is a Hong Kong action movie through and through and it's only unique claim to fame, beyond featuring a record-breaking-sized punching bag, is an approach to action that's so extreme it starts to become a cartoon.

We're talkin' anime physics here, as in guys are going to be punched CLEAN across the room and thrown through CONCRETE, and still get up.

If you're not sold yet, let me tell you about the story:

Two brothers named Tiger and Dragon (yes those are their real names) grow up apart from one another after attending the Dragon Tiger Gate dojo.

Tiger's a good guy and all about the kicks.
Dragon's a bad guy and all about the punches.
There's also a guy named Turbo. He nunchucks.

Tiger gets wrapped up in Dragon's business and a deal involving Dragon's gang (because it's a Hong Kong action movie, of course there are gangs) goes bad and the gang leader who he's grown attached becomes threatened. The two encounter Turbo who begins attending Dragon Tiger Gate.

Faceless evil bad guy, Shibumi, who was on the other end of the deal decides to destroy Dragon's gang and Dragon Tiger Gate which opposes him so it's up to Dragon, Tiger, and... Turbo to save the day.

Simple enough story and there are even moments of genuine human interaction, but the melodrama kicks it into high gear at about the halfway point and the movie just tries WAY TOO HARD to take itself seriously.

There's even this one point near the end where it gets all existential and philosophical on us just before the characters literally gain anime super powers named things like "Electric Dragon Drill". It's fricken' ridiculous.

Honestly, other than the names, the movie's just goofy to look at. All three of the main characters fight in flowing open jackets and not a one of them can be blamed for cutting more than half their bangs off.

Combat looks and sounds appropriately violent and it just gets fricken' ridiculous with characters being thrown through tables, through walls, overhead, into each other, with weapons spanning swords, sai, poles, halberds, nunchucks, THREE-PART-STAVES, and even a billboard.

Cinematography is fantastic all throughout save the occasionally awkward momentary pause and the music is REALLY good! I'm serious, this stuff gets you pumped and one of the tunes has been an earworm to me for YEARS.

Honestly, it'd be hard not to call this an objectively fantastic movie if not for how HILARIOUSLY bad it can be.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/9c0cb0e8...w46wo3_500.gif

One scene has a lady in Dragon's gang approach him all come-hither in a swimming pool and asks him for a tattoo. He draws his lightning bolt insignia on her back and it's all set to this soft piano melody as she tells him that she was meant to kill him and that Shibumi's gang has gone to kill the gang leader. Suddenly BOOM, we smash cut to her SLAMMING into the water and we cut to a prolonged dramatic slow-mo closeup of him having punched her. WOW.

Also, THAT DIALOG...
Originally Posted by Dragon
What's wrong with you? I'm sorry, but I'm not into heartfelt reunions. I'm not. So go.
Originally Posted by Tiger
You could come back to the Gate if you want. Just don't work for a bad guy.
Originally Posted by Dragon
So... you're a good guy and I'm a bad guy? Well GO AND PLAY YOUR GOOD GUY GAMES!
It could be just the slightly-off-enough-to-be-noticable English dub, but they lay on the cheese SO THICK in this movie you're bound to get a cheese-related analogy.

http://45.media.tumblr.com/dede231e6...w46wo4_500.gif

It's just too awesome not to recommend though even with the occasionally obvious and terrible wire-fu stunts.

If you haven't already I highly suggest you watch Dragon Tiger Gate, preferably with a room full of action junkies ready to make fun of it.

Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]

REWATCH UPDATE 1/1/2023:
I got a hold of a "special edition" copy of the movie with a special feature bonus disc, but unfortunately this version only features English subs. I decided to rewatch it in the Chinese dub and make an actual effort to focus on the story this time around.

My takeaway? Still great. Best comic book movie ever. The wonky English dub is just the cherry on top, like a Jackie Chan movie where he speaks in perfect English.

Jackie Chan is still my favorite movie martial artist, but this still my favorite martial arts movie. It's just realistic enough to make the henchmen being punted through walls, tables, and across ballparks to look sick as ****.

Interestingly, the action choreography here was done by Donnie Yen himself, which I never even knew. He did a fantastic job, and I still think it needs to be emphasized that the camerawork was also pretty stellar. They fit some pretty creative shots all throughout the movie and they clearly modified their sets with the intention of getting those shots.

ANYWAY about the story: It's pretty bog-standard. Tiger and Dragon grew up as brothers(?) at the Dragon Tiger Gate dojo, which is never shown onscreen in flashbacks. Dragon's mom(?) dies in a house fire and he's sincerely adopted by local crimelord, Kun, who he then feels he owes his life to, and consequently breaks his childhood promise with Tiger to "always be a good guy".

Kun is nearing retirement, he's sympathetic towards Dragon, Dragon is torn between returning to Dragon Tiger Gate with Tiger, who he's been forced to fight on a couple occasions already, and eventually he cuts the cord agrees to come back. Happy ending all around!

WELP, this just so happens that some skeevy mini-boss named Scaly decides to backstab Kun and in revenge Dragon wipes out his entire mini-boss gang.

Shibumi, the random kung fu master of the Laoushu Gang (I keep seeing different spellings) which Kun traffics with seeks "a worthy opponent" kills the dojo master of Dragon Tiger Gate.

Supposedly much of this is also predicated on a "Laoushu Plaque" mcguffin which is treated as though it represents a gang's right to some cut of some deals?? I have no idea. There's even a point where Kun advises to give the plaque to Laoushu and this enrages Shibumi for some reason and then it's never spoken of again.

Maybe Shibumi was reacting to Kun losing it in the first place and it's supposed to seem tragic because he was on his way to hand it over anyway? I don't know, either way it's very poorly communicated.

Clearly the particulars of the gang dynamic are much less important to this movie that the relationships of it's characters, which as I've mentioned, is extremely melodramatic. The fight scenes are flying at a million miles per hour, but then the childhood flashback drama feels like such a tonal whiplash. It doesn't help that the child actors aren't great either.

There's also the subplot of Turbo, who's trying to join Dragon Tiger Gate. He's just kinda there to be humiliated and do nunchuck stuff.

However you slice it though, this movie's still rock sold. Great overpowered fight scenes, multiple memorable backing tracks, SUPER cheese throughout... some random super obvious wire-fu, which I normally hate, comes off as charmingly ridiculous considering the absurd scale and quality of the most of the fight scenes.

It's not actor-moving-their-legs-in-a-running-motion-as-a-crane-lifts-them-parallel-to-a-wall for the entire fight like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon does.

The melodrama is slow and boring, but it's not a terrible story unlike many other martial arts movies, and even action movies in general. It could also be that those scenes just feel disproportionately lethargic compared to the constant batshit intensity of the fights...

Either way, big thumbs up from me, still highly recommend, and still one of the best impulse purchases I've ever made.

Final Verdict:
[Great]

Omnizoa 02-08-16 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1454955171

American Psycho
Psychological Thriller / English / 2000

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
You could say I've had my eye on it for a while, but the bizarre existence of two people named Cole with American Psycho avatars and American Psycho listed as their favorite movie ever and my personal fascination with drop-dead insane characters push me over the edge to watch it.

"This MOVIE meant nothing!"

The rating's tough for me since with a couple small tweaks to this movie, I think I probably would have been able to say I enjoyed it.

My main issue is that the movie takes way too much time away from dropping hints as to realism of what we're seeing (which is the crux of the movie). If more scenes included degrees of questionability then I would have been able to appreciate it for more than what they were. And mostly what they were was a lot of scenes where Bale babbles inanely about music which just bores me, or he's chatting with his friends which just reminds me I don't like any of the characters, or a neapolitan mix of sex and violence.

Hehe, get it? Cause it's a fancy word, but I'm actually talking about something horrible?

It's weird to me that people call this a "satire" of the upper-class since it's not really funny or even a parody if it's true. And enough Donald Trump hate nowadays certainly reinforces that.

I did get one big laugh out of the movie though, what scene was it...?

You think I'm dumb don't you? You think I'm dumb, you think all models are dumb.
No! I really don't.
That's okay, I don't mind. There's something sweet about you.
*DEAD*
I also got a huge kick out of Paul's death scene. Bale was just a nut.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/m3oBwCkNJjAx.gif

Lost points for stupid fake blood effects though. I don't care what part of the body you take an axe to, you're not gonna get supersoaked in the face with blood.

Take it from me. I know.

I did like some parts of the movie, particularly when Bale's talkin' to people and just goes, "I like to dissect girls, did you know I'm utterly insane?" and people just laugh him off, but I feel like there was too much filler and stalling between plot relevant scenes that most of the movie just comes across as an odd not-entirely-comedic attempt at dipping into that scary wish-fulfillment side of slasher movies.

I think if I read the book, I'd like the overall story a lot better, but it would be a shame to miss out on Bale's performance, he looks like he had a lot of fun.

*edits

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Omnizoa 02-08-16 02:43 PM

http://twilighthollowproject.b1.jcin...ct/sexual_.gif

The Secretary
Erotic Romance / English / 2002

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
After seeing Patrick Bateman almost murder his secretary it reminded me, "Hey! The Secretary! I was meaning to watch that!" Mainly because I've heard it suggested over 50 Shades of Grey and hey, it'd be interesting if an SM-centric relationship drama managed to sell me, huh?

I really liked the first hour of this movie. It set up an interesting relationship between our main girl and Mr. lawyer dude. I was pleased to see that he wasn't going to be a total dick, but instead seemed legitimately concerned about her well-being, especially with regards to her cutting and family problems.

That was until the movie stepped out onto the railroad tracks and got hit by the stupid train.

The spanking scene comes on way too suddenly, and out of friggen' nowhere we're right where the beginning of the movie flash-forwarded to. They're just suddenly in an SM relationship now. Okay.

I would have preferred to have them more gradually slide into it with Mr. lawyer guy's punishments snowballing into the SM stuff rather that just *SPANK* "OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU NOW."

The rest of the movie gets really awkward, especially when Mr. lawyer guy pulls the, "I MADE A MISTAKE, YOU'RE FIRED" card which is always a rational and well-intentioned end to a workplace relationship, right?

All of it results a scene where our main girl runs away from her wedding and agrees to a test of her obedience by starving herself in his office chair where she pisses herself.

-1 point for the wedding. I hate weddings.

x2 MULTIPLIER! for bailing on a wedding when you had already agreed to it. Dick move.

x4 MULTIPLIER!! for urinating on camera. I didn't want to see that.

x8 MULTIPLIER!!! for urinating on an innocent woman's wedding dress. What'd she do to you?

x16 MULTIPLIER!!!! for another wedding.

Blegh. I've seen better endings to pornos.

By the way, I know the main lead's name is "Edward Grey", but we learn virtually nothing about him while we learn a lot about "main girl". And her name doesn't stick, so why should his?

Final Verdict:
[Just... Bad]

Omnizoa 02-08-16 06:44 PM

http://twilighthollowproject.b1.jcin.../malkovich.gif

Being John Malkovich
Fantasy Comedy / English / 1999

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Saw it in Miss Vicky's favorites and that reminded me that I'd been meaning to watch it since I like surrealism and surrealism seems to be the name of the game here.

Jackson Pollock comes to mind. And Family Guy. And South Park.

Basically this movie feels to me like a mess of ideas all written onto the sides of bananas and then thrown at a dartboard that's attached to a beluga whale skating on rollerblades down the New Jersey Turnpike.

Everyone wants to have sex with everyone.

There's a monkey.

And John Malkovich stars in The Truman Show on pay-per-view.

So many disparate elements fail to coalesce into any single coherent vision, purpose, or point that I'm so lost as to the meaning of anything that I feel like the whole movie just wasted my time.

Okay, I take that back, American Psycho wasted my time, it even admitted it. But at least American Psycho was genuinely enjoyable at times, Being John Malkovich was just... vaguely amusing.

I was hoping for the more-that-slightly-off elements like the 7 1/2 floor, the speech impediment, and the roundabout conversations to amount to something. But no. I think they really just dragged a poor monkey into this movie so we could rationalize making one character act implausibly hysterical and have a monkey cage on hand to lock his girlfriend in.

I don't evudeuidnueihdsnteumidmuriimduiqvimduimdvmm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...69a80e7e45.jpg

Watch Coraline instead.

Final Verdict:
[Just... Bad]

AboveTheClouds 02-08-16 07:35 PM

Re: Omni's Random Video Noise

Don't get all sensitive about this Omni, this isn't me picking a fight, just me trying to shed a little more light on an awesome film

American Psycho starts dropping hints about Patrick's twisted reality before the five minute mark, when he's at the bar speaking to the waitress, and she informs him his drink tickets are no longer good and it'll be $25. And when she turns around to get his drink he very audibly says " You're a ******* ugly bitch and I wanna stab you to death and play around with your blood" Now I don't know clubs very well, but that music wasn't very loud and for how loud he said it, she would have heard it. There is also potential evidence around 15 minutes when he goes to the dry cleaner and the Asian lady is freaking out on him and he gets right in her face and says "Lady if you don't shut your ******* mouth, I am going to kill you" Now I don't believe she understands English, because until the point he says this she doesn't understand a thing he's saying so I don't think that she'd understand that statement explicitly and become shocked by it in reality, her reacting was part of the delusion. Then the film appears to cut to them back in their original positions both still screaming at proverbial walls. I firmly believe any instance in the film where Patrick says something horrible and people laugh him off is pure delusion though, he just imagines himself saying this and gives us a glimpse of his reality, which was a little more difficult in film than in print.

And you can kind of gather from his vanity during the shower scene and how ridiculously meticulous he is about his grooming, and from his peak physical fitness that he is a total narcissist, which usually goes hand in hand with being delusional. Also making note that every video he seems to watch is hardcore porn or horror, which also kind of point in the direction of "nope". This point is again illustrated when he is having sex with the prostitutes, his need to tape the proceedings and how he barely pays attention to the girls, but watches himself in the mirror. Even when the scene with the exchange of the business cards is happening you can see he is clearly mortified that he doesn't have in his opinion the classiest card. "eggshell with romalian type, what do you think?" Patrick can barely even reply to him, his anxiety soars at this point.

When he meets Paul Allen and he mistakes Patrick for Marcus Halberstram, you can tell somewhat by the restaurant Patrick takes him too that his intentions are sinister, as there is barely any one there, so no one to really place them there. And after Patrick kills Paul Allen and drags the bag with the body, leaving a trail of blood through his lobby, right past a concierge before loading it into the trunk of the cab, meanwhile Luis Caruthers and his girlfriend are coming down the street and see Patrick, then Luis goes over to look at the bag before mentioning how he likes it and asks who makes it. Also after the scene you mentioned with the "stupid model" the next day Patrick sits at his desk playing with a lock of her hair... Nope.

Also it's not so much a satire of Upper Class life as a whole as it is a satire of a particular people and place, which is the players of 80's wall street and their yuppie attitude. And the film really does a good job of satirizing the need to be cool as it equates being able to get dinner reservations at Dorsia to essential godliness. Or who listens to most popular and hip music (The reason for Patricks love of music isn't emotional but purely superficial, as all that matters is whats new and hot, whatever suits his image. Also comparisons of who has the nicest valentino suit or who's got the best gadgets(Patrick's Walkman and headphones were at the time top shelf). Or who can spend more on a haircut which looks exactly the same. It pokes fun at the consumerism the narcissism and the rat race that these people lived and dealt with daily.

Also if you didn't know Omni, there is actually a book that the film was based on. I would recommend the book, it's much better, and it's partly the reason why I see the movie the way I do, the book is more informative and kind of lets you see stuff in the film you didn't catch before. And aside from the fact that I've seen this movie probably 20 times. And I do agree with the arterial spray though, it wouldn't soak him the way it does. I understand where you're coming from I speak from experience as well.

Miss Vicky 02-08-16 08:03 PM

Good to see that you gave BJM a try, but obviously I disagree with your review. A lot.

Omnizoa 02-08-16 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by AboveTheClouds
Don't get all sensitive about this Omni, this isn't me picking a fight, just me trying to shed a little more light on an awesome film

American Psycho starts dropping hints about Patrick's twisted reality before the five minute mark, when he's at the bar speaking to the waitress,
Oh, well yeah, I figured that out. It's convenient that in most cases that he has revealing dialog that he's in loud environments where people might reasonably misunderstand him or the other person is drunk. Like I said, I like those scenes. They're just too few in my opinion and the stuff in-between them bores me to death.

And you can kind of gather from his vanity during the shower scene and how ridiculously meticulous he is about his grooming, and from his peak physical fitness that he is a total narcissist, which usually goes hand in hand with being delusional.
That's a scene in my favorite movie too. However it was a lot more subtle, took much less of my time, and repeatedly seeing this guy's morning routine served the alternate purpose of showing change over time.

Also making note that every video he seems to watch is hardcore porn or horror, which also kind of point in the direction of "nope". This point is again illustrated when he is having sex with the prostitutes, his need to tape the proceedings and how he barely pays attention to the girls, but watches himself in the mirror.
I thought that was kinda funny, actually.

Even when the scene with the exchange of the business cards is happening you can see he is clearly mortified that he doesn't have in his opinion the classiest card. "eggshell with romalian type, what do you think?" Patrick can barely even reply to him, his anxiety soars at this point.
Well, actually I liked those scenes. The whole "satire" angle I keep reading about makes the most sense when the guy is literally prepared to kill over a tiny slip of paper. I wished there were more extremes like that.

And after Patrick kills Paul Allen and drags the bag with the body, leaving a trail of blood through his lobby, right past a concierge before loading it into the trunk of the cab,
Yeah, well it's at this point that I think I should have worded my post a little differently. There are certainly clues to his delusions in the movie, they're just too infrequent for me. I might well have liked the movie better if all the filler wasn't bordering on a two-hour runtime.

Also it's not so much a satire of Upper Class life as a whole as it is a satire of a particular people and place, which is the players of 80's wall street and their yuppie attitude. And the film really does a good job of satirizing the need to be cool as it equates being able to get dinner reservations at Dorsia to essential godliness.
I get that, I just wasn't impressed by it. It's nothing I haven't seen in movies NOT satirizing the upper class.

Or who can spend more on a haircut which looks exactly the same. It pokes fun at the consumerism the narcissism and the rat race that these people lived and dealt with daily.
I thought Rat Race did that better.

Also if you didn't know Omni, there is actually a book that the film was based on.
I mentioned the book, actually.

I do agree with the arterial spray though, it wouldn't soak him the way it does. I understand where you're coming from I speak from experience as well.
Good to know I'm not the only one with effects artists going around and defaming my work.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Good to see that you gave BJM a try, but obviously I disagree with your review. A lot.
Well, tell me why you like it. I just didn't get it. What am I missin'?

Did it make you laugh? 'Cause that would explain it. It wasn't entirely my brand of humor.

Omnizoa 02-09-16 11:22 AM

Taxi Driver
Drama / English / 1976

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
The Gunslinger45 posted the "Are you talkin' to me?" scene to foster's Movie Quotes thread and it reminded me that I still haven't seen Taxi Driver. People also don't have enough reason to hate me either.

It's strange that a movie like Taxi Driver, with a reputation for "greatest movie of all time" nearing that of Citizen Kane (another movie I haven't seen yet), feels so... weak.

Taxi Driver has honestly got to be one of the weakest vigilante movies I've ever seen. Isn't the point of a vigilante movie supposed to be for me to root for an underdog character who takes the law into his own hands? How can I do that if I don't like the character?

Robert De Niro as a nearly unrecognizably young Travis Bickle comes across as... a self-righteous wannabe in a bad way.

Before we're even given any reason to think vigilantism might even be necessary, Travis monologues about "all the scum on the streets" as if he was Rorschach or something.

http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/w...1288c48469.jpg
I don't recall Rorschach wanting to "clean up the queens" though. >.>

Thing is, Rorschach is already a vigilante. Travis isn't yet. So we have to see what provokes him to become one.

Apparently one scene in which a hooker stumbles into his cab and gets dragged out by a pimp is enough for him to buy multiple guns, design a fancy hidden-gun-esque device for his arms, and then idle until the end of the movie to confuse the **** out of me with his motivations.

He talks up one woman which is just agonizing to watch.

Why would any sane woman agree to a date with someone who creepily stalks and approaches you for you looks alone? RED FLAG.

Then once they're on a date, Travis admits that he has an irrational hatred for her friendly co-worker, likely out of jealousy. RED FLAG.

Then he convinces her to see a porno. OOOOHHH!!! Step BACK! THAT'S CROSSING THE LINE! And here I thought you actually liked me for my personality and political beliefs!

The woman actually works for a senator's political campaign and despite having what seems to be a pleasant exchange in his cab, Travis's first target seems to be the senator himself. Why? What possible excuse could he have to kill the senator? What, does he believe it might somehow allow him to see the woman if there's no candidate for her to work for? Where's the dialog for that? What, why, how, when???????

He talks to probably one of the nicest and most genial pimps I've ever seen and suddenly he comes away with "that guy is the sickest worst scum of the earth", WHYYYY??? Haven't you seen worse by now?

I read that Travis is supposed to be "mentally unstable" which seems to be only reinforced by the medicine he's taking. Without that he might as well just be some random douchebag. And I hate saying douchebag, but really what does it add to the story to make him "mentally unstable"?

Okay, so this is the story about a mentally ill taxi driver who's unrealistic standards provokes him to almost shoot a politician and kill a few thugs to help one girl and impress another who left him? Save his go-go-gadget guns, I'm not impressed.

I liked the noir elements of the movie, the music and attention to detail really helped set the mood, but I was so distant from the characters that everything felt unnecessarily drawn out. Travis's "death scene" is followed by a nearly 3 MINUTE collection of pan shots away from his body which just goes to serve as probably the most egregious example of padding.

He doesn't even die either, which is sorta good. At least the vigilante lives to vigilant again... I guess?

I can think of a bunch of movies that did a better job of giving me reason to empathize with the vigilante:

The Brave One
Falling Down
Taken
Kick-Ass
The Crow
Batman Begins

V For Vendetta

Hell, friggen' DARK MAN, as stupidly cheesy and hilariously over-the-top as it is, did a better job making me feel bad about the hero and want him to beat the bad guys.

Miss Vicky 02-09-16 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1455813)
Well, tell me why you like it. I just didn't get it. What am I missin'?

Did it make you laugh? 'Cause that would explain it. It wasn't entirely my brand of humor.
I find it bizarre, highly original, and yes, pretty damn funny. I find the story really engaging and - even though they're not exactly likable - Jonze manages to make me care about the people in it. It also has some really memorable imagery, particularly with the marionettes and the scene where Malkovich enters the portal.

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../malkotits.gif

I will admit though that I did not like it the first time I watched it.

Omnizoa 02-09-16 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1455978)
I find it bizarre, highly original,
Gotta give it that.

I find the story really engaging and - even though they're not exactly likable - Jonze manages to make me care about the people in it.
Likability is pretty important for me to care. Even if they're total bad guys.

It also has some really memorable imagery, particularly with the marionettes and the scene where Malkovich enters the portal.

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../malkotits.gif
I'd actually heard "Malkovich, Malkovich, Malkovich" referenced before, but I didn't know what it was referring to. Now I know, and it makes sense given the context of the joke was a total mind**** nightmare sequence.

I will admit though that I did not like it the first time I watched it.
Well now you know you were completely wrong not to like it.

I can't think of... any movies that completely turned around my opinion of them. I can think of a couple movies that grew on me after a while, but I already kinda liked 'em.

Swan 02-09-16 12:00 PM

My friend has never seen Taxi Driver, and until you've seen Taxi Driver you're living a life of sin, so I'm hoping to get him to watch it one of these days.

MovieMeditation 02-09-16 12:55 PM

You'll come to understand why Taxi Driver is a masterpiece.

Go watch more movies, experience more corners of cinema, come back and be like "wow, what was I doing not loving that film!?"

Shazam.

False Writer 02-09-16 01:11 PM

Your rating of Taxi Driver isn't gonna go over well with many of the members here. It's pretty much the most loved movie on MoFo. :p

Guaporense 02-09-16 01:35 PM

The concept of subjectivity of taste escapes most people. I also didn't care about many well regarded novels, films, animation and manga. Thing is besides being good/well made it has to contain stuff that I might find interesting. Casablanca, for instance, put me to sleep with its 1940s American melodrama aesthetic style.

Guaporense 02-09-16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1456008)
Your rating of Taxi Driver isn't gonna go over well with many of the members here. It's pretty much the most loved movie on MoFo. :p
It lost to the Godfather in the 70s poll though. ;)

Guaporense 02-09-16 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1456000)

Go watch more movies, experience more corners of cinema, come back and be like "wow, what was I doing not loving that film!?"

Shazam.
Well at least he gave it 3/5, Madoka which is the Taxi Driver among animation fans he have it 2/5. :p

Omnizoa 02-09-16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation

Shazam.
I dunno about that... I've seen a lot of "classics" by now. I tend to hold unpopular opinions in general.

Originally Posted by False Writer
Your rating of Taxi Driver isn't gonna go over well with many of the members here. It's pretty much the most loved movie on MoFo.
Good to know. >_>

Originally Posted by Guaporense
The concept of subjectivity of taste escapes most people. I also didn't care about many well regarded novels, films, animation and manga. Thing is besides being good/well made it has to contain stuff that I might find interesting. Casablanca, for instance, put me to sleep with its 1940s American melodrama aesthetic style.
I agree, Casablanca was not my thing.

It lost to the Godfather in the 70s poll though.
I never finished The Godfather. I only got about 10 minutes in before I got bored. That was quite a few years ago though.

Well at least he gave it 3/5, Madoka which is the Taxi Driver among animation fans he have it 2/5.
Madoka isn't THAT popular is it? Taxi Driver's more like... Akira. I think.

Omnizoa 02-09-16 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mean Girls
Comedy / English / 2004

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
I keep seeing Mean Girls mentioned on here, most recently from CiCi who mentioned it as the movie he's got best memorized. I've seen Mean Girls before, but despite vaguely pleasant memories I have it down as [Meh...], so it's time I reassessed my thoughts on it.

Hmmm... Taxi Driver, "one of the greatest movies ever made."

Or Mean Girls, "that one Lindsay Lohan movie with Tina Fey."

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1455040681

Look, here's the deal: I was never bored with Mean Girls. That's not something I can say about American Psycho, Being John Malkovich, or Taxi Driver.

It keeps up the pace, it remains consistent, and the character arcs all follow logically so I'm not waiting for the next plot beat, I'm not lost as to meaning of what's going on, and I'm not confused about character motivations.

That's not a point in Mean Girls' favor, though, that's just what I want bare minimum, at least from a comedy.

What IS a point in Mean Girls' favor though are these:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1455041071

"Love to hate" comes to mind, and it feeds directly into what I was saying to Miss Vicky about needing to like the characters to care.

I like the 'Plastics' insofar as I want to punch them in the face which is precisely the point of the movie. Getting vengeance on them is SUPER SATISFYING simply because they were made so hateable.

So Travis Bickle shot a few pimps. Who cares?

Regina George got hit by a bus. And it was fantastic.

Similarly, it's easy to relate to Cady. I HATE school, so it's refreshing to have an outsider perspective of just how nightmarish and stupid it can be.

Cady's friends seem like friends I could see myself having and when she drifts dangerously towards the dark side (for believable reasons), it's equally satisfying to have karma bite her back hard.

For the most part I like the humor. A couple jokes are crude or stupid (no thank you, fart joke, you're not welcome), but most of those played off of the characters are pretty good. I'd list some of my favorites, but this is meant to be short.

Altogether, it has a few choices that hold it back for me, but mostly it's a movie that justifies returning to it every once in a while for a gag.

MovieMeditation 02-09-16 03:19 PM

Holy Mother of God, you dislike Taxi Driver, Casablanca, AND The Godfather!?

Now it's just getting ridiculous...

- And this is just one random page in your thread. I don't even wanna ask what you think of some other cinema milestones. I might die of pure shock.

gbgoodies 02-09-16 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1456054)

Now it's just getting ridiculous...

- And this is just one random page in your thread. I don't even wanna ask what you think of some other cinema milestones. I might die of pure shock.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not a fan of Taxi Driver or The Godfather either, but I like Casablanca.

And don't even ask me what I think of Pulp Fiction or A Clockwork Orange.

MovieMeditation 02-09-16 03:40 PM

Yes, GB, I know. But it's a wrong opinion he got!

:D

gbgoodies 02-09-16 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1456069)
Yes, GB, I know. But it's a wrong opinion he got!

:D

There's no such thing as a "wrong opinion". There are only "different opinions". :)

MovieMeditation 02-09-16 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1456072)
There's no such thing as a "wrong opinion". There are only "different opinions". :)
Well, your opinion on opinions is wrong. :p

(C'mon GB, you know I'm just kidding!)

gbgoodies 02-09-16 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1456123)
Well, your opinion on opinions is wrong. :p

(C'mon GB, you know I'm just kidding!)

I know. I'm just giving you a hard time about it. :D

Omnizoa 02-09-16 11:30 PM

Hey! I haven't finished The Godfather yet.

Originally Posted by gbgoodies
And don't even ask me what I think of Pulp Fiction or A Clockwork Orange.
Wasn't a fan of Pulp Fiction. Haven't see A Clockwork Orange.

gbgoodies 02-09-16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1456345)
Haven't see A Clockwork Orange.

I would say don't bother, but I think they'd run me off the board if I told you that. I don't even think they'd let me finish the song tournament first. http://www.allsmileys.com/files/kolobok/justcuz/40.gif

Miss Vicky 02-10-16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1456345)
Haven't seen A Clockwork Orange.
Don't bother.

Sexy Celebrity 02-10-16 12:28 AM

Bother.

Omnizoa 02-10-16 01:11 PM

http://twilighthollowproject.b1.jcin...workOrange.gif

A Clockwork Orange
Drama / English / 1971

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Omnizoa: Haven't see A Clockwork Orange.
gboodies: I would say don't bother...
Miss Vicky: Don't bother.
Sexy Celebrity: Bother.
I've heard a lot of crap about A Clockwork Orange.

I knew it contained some really twisted stuff and I've read about people who've had nightmares after seeing the movie.

But I watch anime. So I'm pretty used to seeing twisted **** by now.

After seeing A Clockwork Orange, I honestly feel I must reduce my score for Taxi Driver to a [Just... Bad].

Why?

Because after over 2 HOURS of this movie at least I wasn't BORED. At least there was always something HAPPENING, at least the PLOT WAS MOVING ALONG or doing something interesting.

[Meh...] is usually my rating for a competent movie that bores me, but even though Taxi Driver didn't irritate anywhere on the same levels that other movies have, what pitifully little it does spend it's time on I can poke holes in.

Travis' romance? Stupid and unrealistic.

Travis' motivations? Limp and unexplained.

The entire story? It feels like someone took the ideas of a "vigilante taxi driver" and a "hidden wrist gun" and didn't know how to combine the two for most of an entire movie. That SUCKS.

Clockwork Orange didn't bore me, but it falls into my alternate reason for giving a [Meh...] rating: What I liked about the movie is largely offset, but not overwhelmed, by what I didn't like about the movie.

Or more accurately, what I didn't like was offset by what I liked, because A Clockwork Orange starts off REALLY WEIRD.

And goofy.

And kind of appalling.

And I really cannot take their outfits any less seriously.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/sla...l-original.gif

The pure distilled NOPE I get by seeing the opening shot of the 4 gang members sitting in a club where they drink glasses of milk poured from dripping tit fountains is pretty strong.

I did not like the beginning of the movie at all. But this stupid mess of ugly design choices and rape for the sake of shock value constitute less than a third of the movie.

The rest of the movie is an interesting ride along with Alex as he gets betrayed by his gang, jailed, and forced into aversion therapy to fix his "violent and sexual urges".

I didn't like Alex, but I don't think I was supposed to. I think the point of the movie is to subvert the idea of aversion therapy it presents this theme in a fairly interesting way. I'm sure plenty of people have argued back and forth about it's effectiveness (probably a lot more in the 70s than now where it's akin to the similarly dubious electroshock therapy), but how best to present that argument?

Well, why not from the perspective of a thoroughly ****ed up dude who's forced to endure it?

The movie's not entirely about that, there's plenty of creative liberties (lots of breasts and penises) and narrative license (karma's a bitch, ain't it?), but was largely focused on presenting this idea from Alex's perspective. And I thought it was mostly interesting.

The movie loses points from me for frequent overacting and unrealistic dialog. The opening few scenes are also a strike against the movie since they're were just unpleasant to sit through, and the whole movie overall lacks design consistency.

On the other hand, this is now hilarious:

https://45.media.tumblr.com/a83e7113...59n0o1_500.gif

Overall, I can't safely say I liked it, but unlike Taxi Driver, I wouldn't mind watching it again.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

MovieMeditation 02-10-16 03:08 PM

I can't handle this thread, I simply cannot.

I'll better leave before I get seriously rude and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Swan 02-10-16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1456614)

I'll better leave before I get seriously rude and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
I know. Next he's going to give the 2008 Death Race a
or something.

Omnizoa 02-10-16 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1456614)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...orth-shrug.gif

Your call. I'm open to criticism though.

Omnizoa 02-10-16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1456618)
I know. Next he's going to give the 2008 Death Race a
or something.
You want me to watch that next?

I can watch that next.

I'm gonna watch that next.

Miss Vicky 02-10-16 03:24 PM

Personally I think that's a generous rating for A Clockwork Orange. I was pretty indifferent to Taxi Driver myself and I think The Godfather is really boring.

Still think you're crazy for calling Being John Malkovich a bad movie, though.

Captain Steel 02-10-16 03:35 PM

Just a quick memory about A Clockwork Orange (1971) - my friend's (formerly hippie) parents took us to see it at Princeton University.
It was the late 70's (we were maybe 12 years old). This wasn't a regular movie theater, it was like an on-campus theater for avante garde movies or some such. When the movie started, the rating on the screen said it was rated "X". My friend's parents weren't sure what to do. (I remember overhearing them whisper about whether they should take us out or not.) They decided to stay and we watched the film.

Don't know if the film was ever revised for a lower rating (or it got one because times have changed), but I think it's currently rated "R".

Omnizoa 02-10-16 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1456633)
Personally I think that's a generous rating for A Clockwork Orange.
Maybe. I thought it's concept was interesting though and certain scenes like Alex stalling to drink his wine cause he thinks it's poisoned were kinda funny.

Still think you're crazy for calling Being John Malkovich a bad movie, though.
My issue with Being John Malkovich is that it raises questions it doesn't answer. When they first discover the hole the very first reaction isn't, "H-how can this logically be? Who put it here? What purpose does it serve?", but instead, "Doesn't this raise so many philosophical questions about, like... life and souls and stuff?"

No... puppetman. It doesn't. It just annoys me.

Omnizoa 02-10-16 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1456638)
Just a quick memory about A Clockwork Orange (1971) - my friend's (formerly hippie) parents took us to see it at Princeton University.
It was the late 70's (we were maybe 12 years old). This wasn't a regular movie theater, it was like an on-campus theater for avante garde movies or some such. When the movie started, the rating on the screen said it was rated "X". My friend's parents weren't sure what to do. (I remember overhearing them whisper about whether they should take us out or not.) They decided to stay and we watched the film.

Don't know if the film was ever revised for a lower rating (or it got one because times have changed), but I think it's currently rated "R".
Oh yeah, I can definitely see that.

I can also definitely see that being EXTRAORDINARILY AWKWARD.

Omnizoa 02-10-16 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1455133385

Nana and Kaoru
Erotic Romance / Japanese / 2011

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Cause I'm stupid. THERE.

Okay, fine. I mentioned in my The Secretary "review" (I don't like calling these reviews) that I'd seen better stories in pornos. Well, "Nana to Kaoru" was what I was thinking of. That's when I discovered they actually made a live action movie.

WHAT'D I THINK?*SPOILERS*
Nana to Kaoru is originally an erotic comedy manga.

You can tell because it's obvious that no one involved with this movie knows how to adapt a manga to live-action.

Nana underacts, Kaoru overacts, and the whole movie HAD ONE JOB.

The basic premise is that a generally uptight and stressed out council president and her skeevy SM-geek distant friend from way back live next to each other and go to the same school. After a realistic altercation they find themselves in a platonic SM relationship which serves to relax both of their chilly personalities, build trust in each other, and eventually develop into a romantic relationship.

It SOUNDS weird, but this manga managed to gain enough traction with non-SM readers it's now published alongside Berserk, which is a cult classic grimdark fantasy series.

The concept and basis was strong enough, but the transition to live-action was terrible.

Kaoru's basically been flanderized into a stereotypical over-the-top Japanese pervert, and Kaoru couldn't act to save her life.

Inner monologue becomes outer monologue and whatever isn't mood-breaking spoken out loud isn't told to us which damages our ability to understand both character's motivations which are far deeper and more appreciable in the manga than in the movie.

Also the pissing scene. They left in the pissing scene.

I don't get that. Why is that supposed to be sexy? Jus-CUT THAT OUT! I DON'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT THAT!

Originally Posted by Omnizoa
But I watch anime. So I'm pretty used to seeing twisted **** by now.
Nana and Kaoru is spared an [Irredeemably Awful] from me because it managed to get a brief chuckle out of me, both intentionally and unintentionally.

Final Verdict:
[Just... Bad]

Omnizoa 02-10-16 07:01 PM

http://twilighthollowproject.b1.jcin.../labyrinth.gif

Labyrinth
Fantasy / English / 1986

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
I quoted it in foster's Movie Quotes thread (mainly because I was thinking of David Bowie). I haven't seen it in like... over 5 years though. Reassessment time!

My opinion of Labyrinth has certainly improved over the years.

I think every time I've seen it I've been inclined to directly compare it to other fantasy movies of the time. Problem there is, that's not really fair, since most other fantasy movies try to have a plot, or... SOMETHING.

As I was watching through Labyrinth this time, I think I was finally clue'd off to what I've been missing: Labyrinth isn't like most fantasy movies because it isn't trying to tell a typical fantasy movie story, at least in the modern sense.

It's a more of a fable, it's a lot more like The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland. The purpose of both of these narratives is to entertain through their presentation, themes, amusing peculiarities, and occasionally insightful dialog.

http://media.giphy.com/media/corBV2gAzsFTW/giphy.gif

Another thing all of these stories have in common is the adventure serves as a sort of lesson or exercise for the main heroine.

I don't think any of the lessons come off as very strong, especially Labyrinth, but the sense of exploring the new and surreal easily dwarfs The Wizard of Oz and even Alice in Wonderland in all but wordplay.

As hard as I try, it's very tough to come up with criticisms of the movie other than: stage animals and creepy-bird-people-scene (**** that scene, seriously). And that's pretty small potatoes considering how much worse I've seen far less creative movies do.

I could complain about the obviously terrible green screen, but there's so little of it, and most of the effects in the movie are great if not downright how-did-they-do-that impressive (I think a lot of great matte painting work went into certain shots).

Coming away from it, I see the screw-everything-throw-a-party ending pretty much cements my newfound feelings on the movie. It's not so much an epic fantasy story so much as it celebrates fantasy stories, by trying to drag all the most memorable bits into one movie, be it quirky characters, monsters, riddles, spatial deception, or inexplicably attractive villains.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6b08c6864...8875o3_500.gif

Oh, and 80s montages for literally no reason whatsoever. Gotta have those.

Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]

Captain Steel 02-10-16 07:21 PM

...and teen-age Jennifer Connelly!

Omnizoa 02-12-16 04:39 PM

http://www.sbs.com.au/movies/sites/s...?itok=iMy8lKyR

Harold and Maude
Romantic Comedy / English / 1971

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Saw it mentioned once or twice in orestb333's Your Favorite Dark Comedy Movie thread and bearing in mind that I haven't seen it for over 5 years I thought I'd give it a rewatch and see if my neutral/boring feelings towards it have changed.

And thus ended the only romantic comedy that's ever made me cry.

I'm SUUUPER HARD to sell on romance movies, ESPECIALLY romantic comedies, so I suppose the fact that this one got to me by approaching the general concept so unconventionally makes sense.

I hate so many things about romance movies mainly because I hate so many things about dating and "love" in real life. That **** just gets under my skin in a bad way and I hate it.

The only vague whisper of any of that is Harold's plan to marry Maude.

Say what you will, but that's a checkbox ticked on my list of "Stupid Things You're Wasting My Time With".

That part of the movie is infinitesimally small compared to everything else though.

The idea that the two love interests take a wild stab at taboos by featuring a social recluse and a criminal with an extreme age difference of at least 60 years sounds like a weak shock material. But while young Harold's obsessed with death and suicide and retreating into his own head, Maude brings a frightening counterbalance by being a 79-year-old woman high on life and living in the moment in the truest sense of the phrase.

I like how the two contrast and complement each other in their various ways, Maude to Harold moreso than Harold to Maude though, that would be a criticism of mine. Harold seems to offer Maude little more than what is probably some overlooked attention while Maude serves to enlighten Harold to the little things, small joys, and the thrill of living in the moment, rather than mulling in the distant past or the future.

Neither character is entirely respectable on their own, Harold just seems to miserably loiter around and Maude clearly jacks cars on a regular basis (with the purest of intentions of course), but the relationship, if anything, manages to even out at least one of them by the end.

The humor is so incredibly deadpan that many of the gags throughout just kinda hang (in an incredibly punny way) and while I laughed a few times, most of the humor was very very mild so while I wasn't exactly bored this time around, I didn't feel a whole lot of punch from what was onscreen.

A few scenes are exceptional of course, the scene in which Harold explains why he pretends to kill himself and the finale are very memorable. The scheme to get Harold out of the military was also memorable although for very different reasons.

Something that I noticed this time around is that this romance develops over the course of a week.

Generally I'd be inclined to call BS on an Overnight Romance, but considering that neither of these characters have anything but time, both find each other totally atypical, and Maude's live-in-the-moment philosophy is conducive to it, I'm gonna let it slide.

Not only these things, but unlike the vast majority of romcoms I've seen, both characters legitimately develop their relationship with one another throughout the movie, both by learning about each other AND sharing the same interests (even if they are funerals) without devolving to those ******* "rules" I hate so much.

Harold and Maude breaks rules, it doesn't make them.

Omnizoa 02-13-16 12:12 PM

http://i.imgur.com/E4kVsoy.gif

Pitch Black
Sci-Fi / English / 2000

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
I keep revisiting it so often, that I just bought it.

Underrated sci-fi classic.

Aside from the cool premise of crashlanding on a planet where creepy crawlies come out during the eclipse, and the many many opportunities the movie takes to make Vin Diesel, Riddick, a badass without ever venturing into cheesy territory (humor is definitely intentional), a big reason I like this movie is the morally ambiguous characters.

The movie knows we want a good guy to root for, but nearly everyone with major screentime is flawed or portrayed negatively in some way which makes it difficult to ascertain everyone's intentions.

Fry's character opens the movie making the selfish decision to jettison all of the passengers of her ship to save her own life. It doesn't work, and we see her struggle to come to terms with the people grateful for saving their lives despite her concealed intentions not to.

As the movie goes on, Fry's eventually redeemed through her actions and the bigger question becomes which of the two characters, Riddick or John, his bounty hunter, can be most trusted since they clearly don't trust each other for good reason.

Riddick's motivations remain questionable nearly all the way into the final scene of the movie, but even then you've been given enough evidence to know what to expect from him by this point. Before this point, the questionability of his motivations as well as his relationship with John (which is valuably improved the Director's Cut) serve to create a constant tension throughout the movie even when there isn't any action on screen, and it's a real treat to see all of the "weak" characters make an effort to hang around one or the other in an attempt to curry favor from the two "powerful" characters even when their intentions aren't entirely transparent and doing so may get them killed.

Among my limited criticisms would be the noticeably weak CG which skates by largely because the most glaring effects are used in dark shots. By biggest complaint would be the bottled glow-worms.

Poor glow-worms. They didn't do anything to you, and yet you stuff a family of them into an old booze bottle and then just left them to die trapped in there. ********.

For the record, I would give the sequels, Chronicles of Riddick, a [Meh...] and Riddick a [Just... Bad].

Chronicles suffers by removing Riddick's ambiguity and... just generally having a weaker plot and themes (points for death by teacup though). Riddick suffers by being a carbon copy of Pitch Black except way way way way worse.

Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]

REWATCH UPDATE 1/1/2023
It has been 6 years that this movie has sat on my shelf, long awaiting an overdue review, to confirm that it truly is worthy of the lustrous prestige of sitting amidst my all-time favorite movies.

I'm honestly surprised that I rated this 5 stars.

While it's still certainly my favorite Vin Diesel movie, and still the best of the Riddick trilogy, and did not sport nearly as poor of CG as I recall, this movie falls well short of an exceptional review.

Not that it does anything particularly poorly, but it really doesn't excel in any great respect. Riddick himself is equal parts amusing and enigmatic, but the rest of the cast carries personality about on par with the guest characters of a weak Stargate episode (or Farscape, for that matter). The music is serviceable, but in no way memorable, and the monster design is quite frankly boring and unappealing.

Perhaps the biggest issue comes down to how the movie is structured. The first half takes place in the day time, during which we're hyping up the threat of Riddick, teasing at the night to come, and very minimally developing Captain Lady and Fake Cop. All of the outdoor shots are also inconsistently presented with a bright yellow or blue filter and overexposed in an effort to convey how bright it is on a planet with 3 suns. That's just not appealing to look at. This isn't the deep blue and orange saturation of Mad Max: Fury Road, it's just ugly and difficult to watch.

The second half of the movie takes place at night and they basically let the cat out of the bag in the most literal sense because when you establish that the monsters are innumerable and everywhere, and then you have them randomly pick off the characters, it really just feels like a deus ex character death.

Not so with the Archaeologist(?) character, he was so unreasonably ****ing stupid that he not only left the biggest source of light, which was the best defense the cast had against the monsters, dragging it with him, destroying it, and getting himself killed while endangering the cast. Absolute big-brained genius, no wonder the monsters took a big 'ol bite out of it.

The dialog, mainly involving Riddick creepin' on Captain Lady, still has it's moments, but it's few and far between and I feel like I disproportionately overweighted these relationships the first time I watched it because, as seems to be the case with me at times, I end up drooling over inspirational concepts. If something happens in a movie that sounds like a crazy cool idea or there's a character dynamic that plays out in a way that really appeals to me, I go all in on that, but having that first impression dulled over the course of few years and revisiting with these conceits in mind, I'm left less than impressed.

This is good solid movie, there's not a lot to actually complain about, but there's relatively little to commend it for, unless I'm trying to give a rating relative to the average sci-fi/monster movie... in which case it gets high marks.

Final Verdict:
[Good]

edarsenal 02-14-16 02:20 PM

just saw this thread; HUGE fan of Harold & Maude and of Pitch Black

Great write ups, will be coming back to see the rest of your thread. Great job, Omi!

Omnizoa 02-15-16 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 1458870)
just saw this thread; HUGE fan of Harold & Maude and of Pitch Black

Great write ups, will be coming back to see the rest of your thread. Great job, Omi!
Thank you!

Omnizoa 02-15-16 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Forbidden Planet
Sci-Fi / English / 1956

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
I think this is supposed to be the quintessential 50s sci-fi movie, right? Other then that, I saw the poster and how can I NOT want to see the movie after a poster like this?:

Mmmmm.... that's some good retrofuture.

I thought it was decent. Most generously I would say I'm shocked by how ahead of it's time this movie feels considering it's over 60 YEARS OLD HOLY DAMN.

It got a few intended chuckles out of me and I'm surprised I liked the plot as much as I did despite a few inconsistencies (how'd that last guy die anyway? He just sort of keeled over offscreen.) though my main complaints would OF COURSE have to go towards the one female character.

She's... just sorta there. To tempt the male protagonists. Because apparently they've been secluded from women for over a year for some stupid reason. She's been secluded too so it's apparently a lot of horny men seeking kisses (and only kisses? man, these guys get off easy) from a woman who doesn't even get the concept of kissing.

I really liked the "Nope, I still don't get it" scene where the one guy keeps kissing her and she's not getting anything out of it. Kissing is one of those things that bothers me in romance movies (thank you, Harold & Maude), but unfortunately the movie takes all of that goodwill when the one guy asinine enough to yell at her FOR BEING A WOMAN ends up kissing her and ooooohhh I totally get that kissing thing now.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/gag.gif

He tells her to wear something that covers her whole body which reminds me of an episode of Dirty Pair which outright insults that sort of conservatism and she reappears with her legs covered in a dress and her arms completely bare.

"Oh honey, no, that's the opposite of what I meant, I'm turned on by your thighs and BICEPS, you need to cover all that."

Get it? Cause 50s? Cause sexual repression? Cause all those probable closet gays on his spaceship?

Anyway, my only other real strike against the movie would be THE MISLEADING POSTER.

The poster features Robby the Robot and That One Female Actor and NEITHER of them are remotely important to the plot. Thanks for taking my Obviously Evil Robot and Damsel in Distress cliches and COMPLETELY AVERTING THEM!

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Omnizoa 02-16-16 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Collection Update:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1455665270

Pitch Black
Glad I got the Director's Cut of Pitch Black.

Clue
Shame Clue is almost as barebones as it gets. No insert at all and special features on the back of the box include the UNRATED TRAILER and 3 SURPRISE ENDINGS. Ooooohhhh... fancy ****.

I like my DVDs with Production Commentaries, Cast Commentaries, Making Ofs, Bloopers, and Animated Screen Tests. None of this "Special Features Include: Subtitles" crap.

Omnizoa 02-24-16 12:28 AM

V For Vendetta
Action / English / 2006

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
It's been mentioned all over the place on here. Derek Vinyard brought it up in the Natalie Portman Vs Keira Knightley thread. Reminded me that I need to watch it again and REASSESS.

It's just a great movie. It's paced well, it makes sense, the music's good, the visuals are consistent, the atmosphere is spot-on, and it all-together keeps me engaged in an important parable about government that totally speaks to me.

I HATE modern government, so it's cool to see a movie not only on the same page as that, but actively fighting against it.

Altogether, I have difficulty thinking of a better vigilante movie, especially considering vigilantism exists in direct contrast to government influence and vigilantism can have no more powerful a target than the government itself.

When I think of Taxi Driver as a vigilante movie, this is what I'm comparing it to.

I have gripes though, as I do for every movie.

Strikes against the movie for me include:

+ Eggs on Toast
+ Kissing
+ "There are no coincidences"
+ V’s illusion is both a stretch and tough to totally rationalize
+ "I fell in love" *GROANS*
+ Valory "loves" her totally unknown cell neighbor (what?)
+ Cheesy blood effects and inappropriately hilarious slow-mo screams
+ Bizarre over-emphasis on homosexuality (was that, like, Sutler's whole campaign: "Pray the Gay Away?")

Yeah, I'm weird. Anyway, props to a fun and memorable movie with a immeasurably important reminder that "people shouldn't be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people".

Besides which it's easily one of the best roles I've seen Hugo Weaving in and probably one of the best comic book adapted movies out there.

Omnizoa 02-26-16 01:32 PM

Liar Liar
Comedy / English / 1997

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Ignoring the fact that I used a gif of it already on this very page, it was most recently brought to my attention with this recent post from Mojo Filter's Top 10 Jim Carrey Movies thread:

I hope that Liar Liar makes the list. It's easily my favorite Jim Carrey movie.
I've seen it before, but it's been years. REASSESSMENT TIME.

On one hand, it's got Jim Carrey in it, but on the other hand, it's got Jim Carrey in it.

I've seen Liar Liar before, but now more than ever do I empathize with people who say they can't stand him. There are numerous scenes where plausibility just flies out the window and we're left to watch Carrey grunt and make faces and... I'll admit it gets hard to watch.

I've seen the basic plot of father-too-into-his-work before so many times that I'm kinda put out from the get go. The only bit of plotting in this movie that still feels fresh and exceptional is the arc that seeks to dissect the ethical nature of Carrey's character's work, that being the conflict of interest inherent to the job of lawyers.

When it all culminates in the "I HOLD MYSELF IN CONTEMPT!" moment, I'm really into it, but not mere seconds afterward do they try to undercut it with a joke that isn't even all that funny.

The compulsion to tell the truth rings dead similar to Carrey's later movie Yes Man, where he plays a character irrevocably compelled to agree to anything, and while both concepts get a few great moments (Liar Liar much more so than Yes Man), both stumble over their concepts is a couple ways. The plot and performance scarcely intersect and awkward moments abound.

I used to think that Liar Liar was my favorite Jim Carrey movie, but having seen it this time, I think my opinion has changed. I think this is Jim Carrey's funniest movie. It certainly got a few laughs out of me, and it features some of my favorite comedic moments out of any of his movies, but the setup doesn't appeal to me, everyone save Carrey and his character's secretary, Gretta (how come I remember Gretta's name, but not Carrey's?), is pretty lackluster, and the plotting makes unnecessary sacrifices for the sake of humor. It doesn't earn it's whimsical ending even if Carrey plays a pretty likable dad.

At least the cast was clearly having fun with it. There's obviously no attempt to hide what they're selling (the cover art is just Jim Carrey spread-eagled on a white background o_O) when the credits end with a blooper of one of the characters calling Carrey an over-actor. No one really cares, that's what we're here to see, but as I said I think he pushes my comfort level here so at this point I think my favorite Jim Carrey movie will have to be The Truman Show.

Which I also have to watch again.

http://i.imgur.com/SYj3pZP.gif

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Swan 02-26-16 01:35 PM

Best movie on this page is Harold and Maude.

Omnizoa 02-26-16 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1466976)
Best movie on this page is Harold and Maude.
Nuh-uh!

Omnizoa 02-26-16 01:43 PM

Seriously though, Harold and Maude wouldn't need much to get into my favorites. But it would need something.

Perhaps an explosion montage, or CG aliens?

gbgoodies 02-26-16 04:12 PM

I love Liar Liar, but you may be right that while it's Jim Carrey's funniest movie, it's not necessarily his best movie. It's definitely his most rewatchable movie for me.

Omnizoa 02-26-16 04:26 PM

Adventures in Babysitting
Adventure Comedy / English / 1987

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
1980's Movie Help thread:
That poster looks spectacular. I must watch this movie now.

Is it 80s? Yes.
Does it live up to the title? Yes.
Does it live up to the poster? Almost...

I've never heard of this movie before and I'm baffled as to why. Why did I see Monster Squad before this? Why is that considered an underrated classic when this so much better (and came out the same year)?

All told I thought it was pretty fun and funny throughout the majority of it's runtime. It has that very... 80s charm to it. The conflicts that run the length of the story feel very nostalgic to me: running away from home, crushing on the babysitter, chop shops... oooh, it all brings me back... wait.

O_O *blink*

I like all four of the main characters here. The babysitter is introduced to us as boy-crazy right off the bat, but she gains dimension as she struggles to maintain her sanity as the night goes on. The little girl is a pleasing aversion of every little girl character stereotype I know of given her unusual fascination with Thor.

And the two pre/t/ween boys are unique in that one is noble to a fault give his crush on our babysitter and his buddy who screws his way into the trip only to stir up trouble, but still managing to justify his existence near the end (the restaurant scene was awesome).

I like that the first dark-skinned guy we see doesn't get killed off (I was legit expecting him to), but despite be introduced as a car thief he turns out to be one of the most likable side-characters throughout the movie, most of which are obviously impure, but sympathetic to our main characters in some way.

It was pretty fun seeing the ups and downs the movie takes. That said: strikes.

Strikes against this movie for me (as far as I can remember):
+ Hot Dogs
+ Chicken Soup
+ Some other mentioned food item
+ The poster image is not entirely recreated in the movie.
+ A handful of "homo" jokes (though none are terribly mean-spirited).
+ Main character #4's irrepressible sexual harassment.
+ The fact that I can only remember one character's name (Sarah).
+ Sarah inexplicably abandons the other 3 even though she probably knows better.
+ The other 3 inexplicably track Sarah down even though they shouldn't know better.
+ That the babysitter doesn't either stay with her initial boyfriend so that main character #3 can grow up to deal with disappointment, or leave it open as to whether she may actually develop a relationship with him. Nope. Instead the movie ends with her hooking up with that one guy who called her "the most beautiful woman in the world", danced with her (somehow), gave her 45 bucks, and a ride. He's in such a small fraction of the movie and was so transparently cheesy that I'd have rather she hooked up with Mr. Car Thief.

+ My biggest strike would obviously have to be the scene where Babysitter's semi-blind friend finds what she believes to be a cat. Exterminators show up to say they intend to kill it, she protests, and then they say that it's a giant sewer rat to which she screams, drops it, and runs away.

I came here for the 80s, movie, not the 50s.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Omnizoa 02-26-16 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1467018)
It's definitely his most rewatchable movie for me.
That's what I'm leaning towards.

Omnizoa 02-27-16 06:27 PM

I Review Your Favorite: Locke (Derek Vinyard)

2 Attachment(s)

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Sexy Celebrity's Metalheads Song Tournament:
Ironically, of everybody's original lists, I think I liked Derek's best.
Omnizoa's EDM Song Tournament:
Originally Posted by CiCi
I think we have similar tastes Sexy, because it's quite often us two voting for one song, and Omni & Derek voting for the other one
wildboy's WHAT IS YOUR BEST MIND BOGGLING MOVIE??:
I've seen all of these, but the only one I really liked was The Butterfly Effect.
Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard
my favorite of them all Glad you like it
Well now just look at what you've done! You've forced my hand Derek!

I HAVE to watch your favorite movie!

I HAVE NO CHOICE!</foreshadowing>

"D'you know in fact, I would like to take a ****ing shovel and dig you up out of the ****ing ground and make you watch me tonight. I would pull open your eyes and kick the mud and worms and shit out of your ****ing ears just for the duration of this journey. Because it's me driving. Me. Not you. And unlike you I will drive straight to the place where I should be. And I'll be there to take care of my... take care of my ****up."

Locke is a lot like the movie, Buried.

And considering how much I hated Buried, that's easily the worst thing I can say about this movie.

Both movies are an exercise in minimalism to the extreme where the central character is confined to a small space and the majority of drama unfolds through the exchange of phone calls.

However where Buried was a pointless, meaningless, stupid attempt to stuff Ryan Reynolds in a box, spit in his face, take a **** on his porch, and have sex on his casket over the course of an hour and a half, Locke takes an equal amount of time to make me care.

https://45.media.tumblr.com/f41c6a85...5f96o1_400.gif

Locke is a nice guy. Even though we barely venture outside his car and never see him speak to anybody face to face, our impression of him is built not just on the sneaky exposition that holds him up as a hard worker at his job, but largely on how he interacts with people over the phone.

He's pleasant, he's calm, and he has every reason not to be.

He bails on the advent of the biggest job of his career to go attend the birth of a baby of a woman he had a one-night fling with. During his drive to the hospital he tries his best to break the news to his employer and wife, Katrina, while also attempting to maintain the peace amidst Bethan, the mother-to-be, and his co-worker, Donal, who he leaves the majority of his work.

Far less important than what actually happens in the movie is why anything happens in the movie. And why anything happens in the movie is simply that Locke is a brutally honest guy.

Say what you will about his "cheating" in the first place, this movie is his counter-argument. The point is he's trying to do the right thing. Even when he gets fired from his job, he still tries to keep the cement project on track. Even when his wife 'kicks him out', he never falters in his barely calm demeanor. Sure he freaks, and it's thanks to Tom Hardy's performance that I buy that any of this actually affects him despite the facade of a rational mediator, but it's never in response to people he's talking with. They freak out on him, and he just takes it all on the chin.

Why is he doing this? Because he doesn't want to be like his dad.

He regularly rants at his dad who he pretends is in the backseat and through that, despite initially sounding like fairly transparent exposition, really best serves, more than any other dialog, to cement (no pun intended) Locke as a righteous character.

It's all out of guilt, not out of love for the other woman, he tells her this repeatedly, and I appreciate an absence of white lies for once. JUST BE HONEST! Reality hurts, sure, but it's better than deceit!

And this element seems prevalent throughout the movie, especially when he struggles to reconcile his wife who goes HARDCORE MONOGAMY SYNDROME.

I HATE Monogamy Syndrome, and for the first time ever, I feel like something I'm watching agrees with me. This movie could easily be presented as Locke's punishment for his indiscretions, but it comes across far more clearly as a tragedy. Locke's a noble character, and his intentions are nothing but for the best, and yet despite his plain efforts to articulate himself and make things right, he drives heedlessly into an assault of

gimme a minute

Wow, that was surreal. I don't think I've ever broken up AFTER watching a movie before.

...well, I guess you could say this movie hits kinda close to home for me.

****! This totally threw off my groove! COMEDY! Let's get some COMEDY in here!

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu...0o1_r1_250.gif

Alright, let's just tally up all the strikes I can possibly think of against this movie.

Ummmm...

1.) Hot Dogs.

2.) Also, they totally mismarketed this movie as a thriller.
http://screenrant.com/wp-content/upl...vie-poster.jpg

Thanks, The Telegraph. Locke's a thriller the same way Buried's a "masterclass in invention and surprise."

The minimalist setting in Buried helped to impose a degree of claustrophobia which does nothing for this movie other than make me bored with the same imagery (besides, if I wanted claustrophobia, I'd watch Crawl or Die).

What else...?

3.) I don't think we got any resolution on the cement pouring. That cement **** was way important dood, like seriously, did it work out? Did I miss a line? I think Locke just stopped taking Donal's calls.

4.) What was the purpose of the game he was missing out on? I get that it ties him to his children in some way, but the last call we get regarding it doesn't seem to emphasize anything that isn't already apparent. Besides, it's a lot of dialog involving players I don't know about playing a sport I don't care about on a TV I never see.

5.) The music could have been a bit stronger. It's largely absent throughout the movie and I would have appreciated it during certain... "scenes". Maybe they left it out because

6.) People on the phone are difficult to discern past a combination of low volume, audio filtering, and accents. I got the vast majority of what was said at least.

EEEEEEGGGGGHHHHH......

I can't think of anything else offhand. That's the problem with minimalism, there's only so much you can criticize.

Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]
*I was gonna give it a 4/5 when I started typing this, but I think it's only fair to give full marks to anything that engages me emotionally like this.

REWATCH UPDATE 5/22/2022:

Locke is one of the rare few movies I've not only given a 5 out of 5, but it is one of the even rarer movies where I gave it that score after a blind viewing, and it is one of the rarest of possible movies to make me cry. Only three other movies can attest to that; Ink, Titanic, and believe it or not, Bicentennial Man.

All three of these movies, however, during at least one scene dwell heavily on the theme of "loss over time", which is, honestly, probably my biggest weak spot when it comes to any story.

I'm going to have to take a moment because for whatever reason as I type this, I'm having a moment again. :(

It is very strange that during the movie, or even during the credits, I don't feel these emotions, but only once I've completely closed out of the window, loaded up this page and begun typing what I feel and why I'm feeling it does it really hit me. Again.

And for a good moment there I was genuinely convinced this movie hadn't got me again, ****.

What I was going to say was that Locke doesn't really have that theme going for it. Instead I think this movie really just hits me for personal reasons.

Like, I can't relate to marriage, I can't relate to a construction job, I can't relate to wanting to come home to sausages, and I can't relate to giving a single **** about any kind of sport at all...

But Locke's character hits home. He's brutally honest "to a fault", and he tries so hard to break bad news gently, but you can tell he's probably spent a good deal of his life being walked over.

The one motivation that he doesn't tell anyone is his personal hatred for his dad. He desperately wants to show him up in his own mind, even though he's dead, and there's no one to compare them but himself. He loathes that he was ever genetically related to him and it hangs like a shadow over his head; the threat that he could be a failure by the same standard he judged his father.

He wants to be a good person, unlike the bad person his dad was, so upon learning that he royally ****ed up, he stomps the breaks as hard as he can to put it right. But that jeopardizes his job. And it jeopardizes his family. And so, still trying to prove a point to himself, he tries as hard as he can not to abandon his family or his job in addition to the girl he's trying not to abandon.

The point I'm getting at is that Locke suffers for doing what he thinks is the morally right thing to do, which more often than not is a conflict not often explored in movies. There's good guys versus bad guys, tragic deaths of heroes and all that, but in this case Locke's biggest enemy is his himself, we're watching him wrestle with the consequences of choices he made, and he's aware these are consequences for the choices he made, and he hates himself for that. It's very humanizing and relatable.

OVERALL, stepping back a moment, and once again attempting to assess this movie objectively; engaging though it is, this movie is very not visually stimulating. It's a lot of panning from one corner of the car to the next, a lot of superimposed traffic shots, a lot of out-of-focus street lights. This would be a terrible watch if the narrative didn't pull me in. The music also isn't terribly strong though it is appropriately present and absent where it feels it ought to be.

Part of the appeal for a movie like this, for me at least, is seeing the character break down over time, I like that kind of psychological torture (I'm a sick ****). But we never really see him snap and instead the movie ends sort of anti-climatically with the news that the baby was born... and that he'll keep driving. Appropriate, but this is conveyed less by what feels like an organic climax to the movie and instead by a swelling score and sudden and unusual increase in out-of-the-car shots.

Part of the difficulty for the sort of character's development is also the fact that he's trying to play it cool, that he's looking for a "practical way forward", but chips in the facade don't really appear so clearly as you might hope. The first big reveal of the movie is simply learning that he cheated on his wife months ago and they're giving birth, the second big reveal is that he's going to her out of spite for his dead dad.

The scenes in which he curses out his dad in the rearview mirror serve both to realistically establish his motivations, but also to exposit on his background, that certain things have happened to him and he's been carrying that pain for his entire life.

I think these scenes are enlightening, but the third time it happens I'm having a little bit of a harder time buying it. We've now seen him shift back and forth between calm and professional Locke to "I want to dig you out of the ****ing ground and make you listen" enough times that it just feels a bit weird to once again hear him launch into third round of swearing at the backseat.

Finally, unlike the above movies I mention (excepting Bicentennial Man which I haven't seen in FOREVER), it's pretty difficult to say I "enjoyed" watching this movie. I consider it a good movie in terms of accomplishing what it set out to do, and evoking the feelings it was supposed to evoke, ****, it's got me to cry twice now, so it's clearly working. BUT, it's not quite the experience I normally appreciate.

In Ink there's the music, there's the aesthetic, there are the themes, there's even brief humor, the dynamic between characters in interesting, and it successfully tugs on my heartstrings multiple times thoughout it's length. Titanic is a bit different; I'm not so sold on the romantic aspect of the movie, but I'm sympathetic enough to the characters, and I'm able to put myself in the movie to live through the ship sinking vicariously, and it's an exciting and horrifying experience.

Locke doesn't really have any of that, it's really just a picture into the isolated torment of one guy and his detached conversations through the phone in his car. Movie's not really exciting, it's not fun, it's not pleasant to look at, it's not intellectually stimulating like a drama like 12 Angry Men might be... It's just kind of there, and my emotional experience is more of a Fridge Logic moment, than a direct feeling the movie is impressing on me.

Still, I have difficulty not rating this well, but I will be docking my score.

Final Verdict:
[Very Good]

Omnizoa 02-27-16 06:30 PM

This post used to serve a purpose! But now it doesn't.

Derek Vinyard 02-27-16 09:14 PM

Re: I Review Your Favorite: Locke (Derek Vinyard)

This is the best review I've ever seen !!! :D

So Glad you like it Omni!!

Omnizoa 02-28-16 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Vinyard (Post 1467654)
This is the best review I've ever seen !!! :D

So Glad you like it Omni!!
Thanks for the experience. :3

edarsenal 02-28-16 01:25 PM

serious reps for this one! For taking the plunge AND for immersing yourself in it BRAVO

Cole416 02-28-16 01:45 PM

Ooh ooh ooh do me! According to your lists, you haven't seen mine :)

Thursday Next 02-28-16 01:54 PM

Pretty sure Omnizoa has reviewed American Psycho and didn't like it.

Mr Minio 02-28-16 01:56 PM

You better not review mine.

Omnizoa 02-28-16 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cole416
Ooh ooh ooh do me! According to your lists, you haven't seen mine
Which lists are you lookin' at? The Movie Forums list? Those haven't been updated.

I did watch American Psycho, it was the first one I mentioned in this thread.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
Pretty sure Omnizoa has reviewed American Psycho and didn't like it.
I was ambivalent towards it. Somewhat more like than dislike.

Originally Posted by Mr Minio

Werckmeister Harmonies? Well, now I have to look that up now don't I?

Cole416 02-28-16 02:22 PM

Your opinion really bothers me, but it's refreshing to see your style of reviewing. Your reviews remind me of SC's a lot just style-wise. Only ratings I agree with are Mean Girls and A Clockwork Orange.

Omnizoa 02-28-16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cole416 (Post 1467955)
it's refreshing to see your style of reviewing. Your reviews remind me of SC's a lot just style-wise.
Just off-the-cuff, what I'm feelin'. But to be fair, again, I don't really consider any of these terribly thorough reviews. Most of my actual reviews are in my Anime thread where I get pretty long-winded.

Your opinion really bothers me,
I assume you're referring to American Psycho at the very least.

Let me put that movie into perspective for you with an example:

I didn't need to see Patrick make poses in a mirror during sex to know what kind of character he is.

I already know that's who he is. I also already know he's the kind of person who can go ON and ON about music he likes because I've already seen it before. During Paul's death scene which also served the dual purpose of setting up Paul's death.

There is no similar purpose to this scene because nothing significant happens during it that warrants it's length (unless you count eroticism, but I don't).

My only other attempt to extract meaning or purpose for this particular scene (as well as many scenes like it) is to assume it's trying to be comedic.

Admittedly Bale flexing for himself in a mirror is almost a caricature of narcissism, but I only find it somewhat amusing. I'm not laughing at it.

If I was supposed to be laughing at it, I think the scenario undercuts it's own joke.

After that LONG LONG LONG sequence of Patrick talking up the girl, bringing her to the apartment, chatting her up, talking endlessly about music, casually insisting that they strip and **** each other, the only thing I feel like I got out of it was a vague sense of amusement from this image:

http://static.rogerebert.com/redacto...ng_mirror1.jpg

I don't think it was worth the time.

Cole416 02-28-16 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1467980)
Just off-the-cuff, what I'm feelin'. But to be fair, again, I don't really consider any of these terribly thorough reviews. Most of my actual reviews are in my Anime thread where I get pretty long-winded.

I assume you're referring to American Psycho at the very least.

Let me put that movie into perspective for you with an example:

I didn't need to see Patrick make poses in a mirror during sex to know what kind of character he is.

I already know that's who he is. I also already know he's the kind of person who can go ON and ON about music he likes because I've already seen it before. During Paul's death scene which also served the dual purpose of setting up Paul's death.

There is no similar purpose to this scene because nothing significant happens during it that warrants it's length (unless you count eroticism, but I don't).

My only other attempt to extract meaning or purpose for this particular scene (as well as many scenes like it) is to assume it's trying to be comedic.

Admittedly Bale flexing for himself in a mirror is almost a caricature of narcissism, but I only find it somewhat amusing. I'm not laughing at it.

If I was supposed to be laughing at it, I think the scenario undercuts it's own joke.

After that LONG LONG LONG sequence of Patrick talking up the girl, bringing her to the apartment, chatting her up, talking endlessly about music, casually insisting that they strip and **** each other, the only thing I feel like I got out of it was a vague sense of amusement from this image:

http://static.rogerebert.com/redacto...ng_mirror1.jpg

I don't think it was worth the time.
American Psycho is not a perfect movie. I did actually laugh out loud at that part, and didn't feel like it was out of place or worthless. It's a pretty memorable scene and one of the first that comes to mind to people when I ask if they had seen it.

The movie didn't mean nothing. It leaves the viewer up for interpretation on what really happened. You shouldn't like the characters. Thats the message the film is trying to get out there. All those yuppies think they have such great lives with their money, clothes, haircuts, friends, even business cards. They all blab about nonsense and it doesn't seem like anyone gives a rats ass about each others' personal lives. They just use each other to boost their egos. They don't even know each others' name! That's why I think he did actually kill Paul and that everyone is basically the same up there. He even said, "Halberstram goes to the same barber... same job... but i have a slightly better haircut." No one cares about each others' identity. They probably did think Bateman was with them partying when Paul was murdered by him, but they just don't care enough to actually know their acquaintances.

Taxi Driver too...

He's a wannabe because hes a vet who most likely has PTSD. You might not even think vigilantism is necessary, but you're not him. He saw a girl (prostitute) trying to get away from an abusive pimp and decided that something was needed to be done.

I thought the relationship with Cybill helped emphasize how out of touch Travis is with reality. He can't connect to people like he wants to, and longed for a relationship with someone. I don't see how him badmouthing Albert Brooks is a huge red flag, and she probably thought he was cute for approaching her like that.

As for the attempted assassination of the Presidential Candidate, I sort of agree. I thought it helped with the development of Travis. It showed he was unstable and could explode (and did with the pimp at the end). Maybe it's because he didn't think the Senator did a good job of doing anything w/ his advice about the scum. I thought it was still a pretty good scene in the film.

"Nicest and most genial pimps" - still a pimp. Scum to him is what he does, not how he acts about it.

Honestly, I think you just need to remember he's a Vietnam war vet and that definitely made him, for a lack of a better word, crazy. He's not gonna do rational things that you or I would do in that situation.

Omnizoa 02-28-16 04:17 PM

American Psycho is not a perfect movie.
I've yet to see a perfect movie.

I did actually laugh out loud at that part, and didn't feel like it was out of place or worthless.
I didn't say it was. I just think it was too long for too little.

It's a pretty memorable scene and one of the first that comes to mind to people when I ask if they had seen it.
I'll agree it's memorable.

You shouldn't like the characters.
You miss my point here. I shouldn't like them as people, but I should like them as characters.

I don't like The Joker from The Dark Knight as a person, but I love him as a character.

It what makes me want to watch him. It should be the same way with Patrick Bateman, but scenes in which he's fun to watch make up only a fraction of the movie for me.

Thats the message the film is trying to get out there. All those yuppies think they have such great lives with their money, clothes, haircuts, friends, even business cards. They all blab about nonsense and it doesn't seem like anyone gives a rats ass about each others' personal lives. They just use each other to boost their egos. They don't even know each others' name!
I mention this in my original post. I don't think the movie does the concept any better than any other of the many movies that tackle the same concept. The only point in this regard that I think American Psycho excels in when Patrick flips out over a business card. THAT'S the kind of absurdity I wished was consistent throughout the movie.

He's a wannabe because hes a vet who most likely has PTSD.
That an assumption.

You might not even think vigilantism is necessary, but you're not him.
You miss the point again here. Vigilantism is "always" necessary, the question is at what convinces the main character to become one. Another element to vigilantism is catharsis from seeing justice done, however that catharsis is inversely related to the degree of injustice we're tackling.

The movies I listed all do a better job at making be empathize with the main character in this regard.

He saw a girl (prostitute) trying to get away from an abusive pimp and decided that something was needed to be done.
Sure enough, but the build up to this and the execution feel way off to me.

I thought the relationship with Cybill helped emphasize how out of touch Travis is with reality.
It only made me think of how unrealistic and stupid Cybill is.
she probably thought he was cute for approaching her like that.
She probably hasn't lived in the city for very long. Or she's been sheltered her whole life. Or she's stupid.

As for the attempted assassination of the Presidential Candidate, I sort of agree. I thought it helped with the development of Travis.
What did it develop?

It showed he was unstable and could explode
Like I said, DONE WAY BETTER IN OTHER MOVIES.

Maybe it's because he didn't think the Senator did a good job of doing anything w/ his advice about the scum.
He's getting ELECTED, HE HASN'T HAD A CHANCE TO DO ANYTHING YET!

I thought it was still a pretty good scene in the film.
Even though the entire scene is anchored in "maybe" motivations?

"Nicest and most genial pimps" - still a pimp. Scum to him is what he does, not how he acts about it.
How he acts about it factors into that injustice thing I was talking about. In The Brave One, it's bad enough to have your fiance killed in front of you, but if you were to distinctly remember the perpetrators laughing while they did it, it'd leave a stronger impression on you.

Honestly, I think you just need to remember he's a Vietnam war vet and that definitely made him, for a lack of a better word, crazy.
That isn't conveyed at all. At least not as much as it should.

He's not gonna do rational things that you or I would do in that situation.
No, but it should seem rational to him. Just because he does things doesn't mean they're automatically justified, they need to make sense as things he would do.

We get an inner monologue from Travis several times throughout the movie and yet it's completely absent during scenes like the assassination attempt. Where's the sense in that?

It's not like the inner monologue was telling us anything of significance we couldn't already infer before, so why now, when we need it does it go away?

Thursday Next 02-28-16 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1468037)
You miss my point here. I shouldn't like them as people, but I should like them as characters.
I think this is a really important distinction, well put.

Omnizoa 02-28-16 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 1468051)
I think this is a really important distinction, well put.
Likability is pretty important for me to care. Even if they're total bad guys.

Omnizoa 02-29-16 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fantasy Horror / English / 1983

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
I Review Your Favorite: Locke (Derek Vinyard):
Originally Posted by Mr Minio
Mr Minio's favorite is Werckmeister Harmonies which seems to be circus-related. This reminded me of The Devil's Carnival which I didn't care for, but was made by the same guys behind Repo: The Genetic Opera which I really liked. Made me want a really good dark carnival-themed movie, preferably one where the dark carnival represents hell or some kind of purgatory. That's when I found this.

The potential's all there. The concept is solid, the story is more than reasonable but... it just never clicked with me.

Perhaps the setups felt too obvious, perhaps the carnival itself didn't give off the atmosphere I'd wanted, or perhaps Mr. Dark just never came across as the compelling central villain he was intended to be.

I've never read the book the movie's based on, but I wonder if I'd have preferred it.

Certain story beats feel way off.

For one, the two main characters are kids, and likewise the movie uses this as an excuse for them to act stupid. Repeatedly.

And for second, the notion that this carnival travels under the facade of a friendly traveling business in entertainment is routinely broken over the writer's knee for all sorts of contrived character dialog.

The two kids never tell anyone what they see happen at the carnival until it's too late and Mr. Dark starts hunting them down, and even once Mr. Dark starts hunting them down, he still seems concerned about maintaining the illusion that his carnival is legit even though he's literally walking around town with a parade of people he's kidnapped behind him.

During the penultimate scene of the movie Mr. Dark gets his best moment to shine as a villain by trying to compel main character #1, Jim's, dad to tell him where he is, EVEN THOUGH BY THIS POINT WHAT'S THE POINT IN FINDING THE KIDS TO SHUT THEM UP IF YOU'RE REVEALING YOUR EVIL PLAN TO DO IT, and the best he can come up with is to try and haggle years back into his life.

His whole strategy is to rip out pages of a book one by one and with each page torn out, that's another year Jim's dad could have got back if he'd have only stopped him and agreed to hand over his son.

Thing is, this presupposes that Jim's dad values his son less than a few years of life and a book. Maybe they thought that because he was a librarian that would irrationally compel him to lose sight of his priorities? I DON'T KNOW it's dumb.

Sure enough Jim's dad never stops him, but Jim gives himself away which just sours the whole moment.

EGH. This movie could have worked, but it's not terrible, so it's just a whatever movie for me.

cricket 02-29-16 03:23 PM

I can't believe I'm just noticing this thread now. Looking real good.

Omnizoa 02-29-16 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1468520)
I can't believe I'm just noticing this thread now. Looking real good.
Thanks!

Omnizoa 02-29-16 07:49 PM

Action / English / 2015

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
A combination of having watched Locke, which is the only other Tom Hardy movie I've seen and the Oscars which I didn't vote for since I'd only seen Star Wars 7 and Mad Max this year. If I had voted for anything, it'd have been Mad Max though.

Feels like more than enough excuse to watch it again. Right?

Anytime I describe this movie to someone with the phrase, "and they've got this one truck dedicated to war drums and one guy with a double-necked flamethrower electric guitar to provide backing music" and the person I'm talking to responds with anything other than, "that's ****ing awesome" you're clearly not an action movie person.

What else can I say, really? This is the only movie I've seen since Inception which sold me on the trailer AND lived up to it.

I'm not a car person. I literally have never driven a car in my entire life and desert settings put me off a lot of movies, but THIS... THIS WAS AWESOME.

Sure I can poke holes in it left and right. You can hardly call it "Mad Max" for one. It's not really about Max since Furiosa's character is front and center most of the time and you can hardly call him "Mad" without the completely useless hallucinations he has about characters we never explore and backstory that never factors into the plot.

This isn't Tom Hardy's movie, let's be honest. Locke was Tom Hardy's movie, this was Charlize Theron's movie and for once we get a pretty badass female protagonist rockin' it out.

She even delivers the killing blow to the bad guy which is just as, "OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!" as it needs to be.

https://media.giphy.com/media/r1HGFou3mUwMw/giphy.gif

Immortan Joe isn't quite as hateable as other lower-key villains since most of his villainy is just extremely chauvinistic shock material. The "breeder wives" and tanks of breast milk honestly just gross me out and I'm glad the story never turned into a "war against men" even though it would have been extremely easy with a couple bad lines of dialog.

Instead we get about 3 to 4 outstanding male characters and nearly twice as many female characters with all of them cooly slipping into the logic of the world with their resourcefulness and mechanical improvisation.

The improvisation is huge point in favor of this movie since everything we see looks like it's been cobbled together from scrap or designed to fulfill unconventional functions out of practicality from the warboys with traffic signs for literal shields to the War Rig dropping it's plow to dreg up sand to put out the fire on it's engine, it all clicks.

The CG is really sneaky in this movie too. Plainly a lot of practical effects went into this movie which goes a long way to selling the action, but it's so prevalent that CG ranges from nearly impossible to notice to very obvious.

The really obvious CG is generally brief though and some of the best CG you need to take double takes to notice like- wait a second, Charlize Theron's missing an arm!

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...vqylfxgpsd.jpg

My biggest complaints would easily have to be the needless grossout moments of both Max and Nux eating CG critters. No thank you to that.

Still, they account for less than 60 seconds of this two hour hype train of a movie, so I can barely make a fuss about it.

All told, Mad Max: Fury Road is one of the greatest action movies I've ever seen. It's like if The Road Warrior and Speed had a baby. And it was perfect. Perfect in every way.

REWATCH UPDATE:
It's fairly evident on a rewatch that beyond the intentional silliness, there's a fair amount of unintentional silliness besides, stuff that really doesn't help the movie.

A couple action moments blow by so fast that I honestly didn't even grasp what happened, but at worst, reminded me of Sex and Fury 2.

There's this brief area of the movie right around the build to the climax when Mad Max has his premonition about getting shot in the face by the Masked Man where everything kinda slughs apart. Why does that even happen? That part of the movie could have been removed entirely and it would have made more sense. He sees danger, has a momentary flashback, shields his face, survives a crossbow bolt.

That's all well and good without the completely unnecessary foresight scene.

This Masked Man is also the one who manages to stab Furiosa with the gear shift dagger... which she throws, one-handed, over her shoulder, while she's driving, and kills a guy. What the ****!? You want something like that out of Stallone or Schwarzenegger you at least need a few feet of clearance to windup first!

Now, I'd be willing to forgive that as a moment of adrenalized badassery, if it weren't shortly followed by the Masked Man picking up the dagger and stabbing Furiosa with it, only to be defeated by Dying Grandma STABBING HIM IN THE FACE WITH BULLETS.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1457273856

YOU CAN'T DO THAT. YOU CAN'T DEFEND YOURSELF WITH A HANDFUL OF BULLETS, THEY'RE ROUND CYLINDERS OF METAL, NOT CALTROPS.

It'dve been more realistic if you full-on poked the guy in the eyes with your fingers instead of trying to mash the equivalent of marbles in his face.

It's a shame too because this whole mess happens right around when Furiosa gets stabbed which I think is the best part of the movie, and now I'm suddenly distracted by the thought of, "Who the **** is this masked guy who's suddenly the most dangerous character in the movie and his mere presence warps the laws of physics?"

I dunno, it's weird. Still think the movie's ace though. :up:

Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]

gbgoodies 03-01-16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1468630)
Mad Max: Fury Road
[Friggen' Awesome]

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
A combination of having watched Locke, which is the only other Tom Hardy movie I've seen
WHAT'D I THINK?
What else can I say, really? This is the only movie I've seen since Inception which sold me on the trailer AND lived up to it.
Wasn't Tom Hardy in Inception?

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
A combination of having watched Locke, which is the only other Tom Hardy movie I've seen and the Oscars which I didn't vote for since I'd only seen Star Wars 8 and Mad Max this year. If I had voted for anything, it'd have been Mad Max though.

I think you mean Star Wars 7, not 8. Star Wars 8 doesn't come out until 2017.

Omnizoa 03-01-16 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1468863)
Wasn't Tom Hardy in Inception?
You're right, I totally forgot. He wasn't the central character though.

I think you mean Star Wars 7, not 8. Star Wars 8 doesn't come out until 2017.
Yeah, I realized my mistake a few hours ago.

Omnizoa 03-01-16 09:28 PM

Turbo Kid
Action Comedy / English / 2015

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
It's one of the movies that popped up while I was searching around for Mad Max since it's also rooted in 80s post-apocalptic fiction. And given that poster, how could I not?

The crazy blast of retro sci-fi nostalgia I got from this movie's combination of themes, visual aesthetic, and soundtrack were ALMOST enough to make me rate this movie higher. The movie even made me laugh a couple times and after seeing it I desperately want to see more movies follow in it's footsteps and pay homages to those "totally rad" movies of the past the same way Black Dynamite parodied and exemplified the blaxploitation genre.

Turbo Kid is not a parody though, and I'm going to rate it harshly because I feel it shot itself in the face by failing to understand a basic distinction in the sort of tone the medium it's trying to imitate is supposed to go for.

On one hand, the opening of the movie plainly plays up to the 70s/80s/90s impression of child wonderment. Our main character is still a kid at heart and despite living on his own out in the wasteland he spends most of his time collecting comic books, playing with toys, and pretending to be a superhero. It honestly reminds me of a lot of early Spielberg movies back in the day like E.T. and The Goonies.

A strong emphasis is on retro sci-fi/superhero comic book themes.

All of this clashes with what seems to be an attempt to blend these ideas in with more adult action movies of the time like The Terminator or Mad Max: Road Warrior.

This SOUNDS like it could work, after all what movie might better encapsulate all of the various influences someone might have growing up in 80s USA with relatively liberal freedom over what they watched or read?

THE PROBLEM IS that adult aspect goes WAY BEYOND The Terminator's level of violence, it's goes clear into the 90s with Story of Ricky type ****, it gets REALLY graphic.

And that's the thing, why is my Spielbergian whimsy getting mixed up with a horror movie gore? THERE'S SO MUCH BLOOD and I hate gratuitous blood geysers in even REGULAR action movies.

Here, they don't even take the opportunity to make it any sort of joke, like the creator legit wanted to make this really cute nostalgia piece, but he's just seen Dawn of the Dead one too many times.

We get piss, we get kicks to the nuts, and we bisect so many bad guys that they literally stack up. Is that supposed to be funny? I'm not laughing at that. I'm really NOT laughing at that.

You know if Turbo Kid wanted to maintain their tone, they still could have been bloody, there's plenty you can do with PG-13 violence.

But even as someone who utterly loathes the age rating system, I'm appalled to see what might otherwise be a fun-for-the-whole-family throwback action-adventure-comedy feature a scene in which someone's intestines are graphically dragged out of him with a bicycle wheel.

****in' sick.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Omnizoa 03-02-16 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Psychological Drama / English / 2012

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
After watching Mad Max: Fury Road I thought, "gosh there are a shortage of epic metal movies". Then I found Imaginaerum which I had been meaning to watch. A symphonic metal band's concept movie? Sweet.

Considering Ink, Imginaerum is the sort of the movie that should be right up my alley, and for precisely that very reason I'm also going to be very critical towards it.

The basic premise is that a man lies demented and dying on his hospital bed and as his daughter finds resolution in his death due to their strained relationship, he battles nightmarish abstractions of his past.

The band, Nightwish, themselves appear throughout the movie lending a rocking soundtrack to some of the more dramatic plot beats, but they're mostly out of sight while the characters themselves wax back and forth about their predicaments.

The events that unfold are interesting and there are a few surprises here and there intermixed with a degree of charm and horror in equal measures. Mostly it feels like an adventure with a point. And I like that.

What few things I might complain about would be the sometimes questionable CG, particularly on our snowman/bogeyman character who never seems entirely real. Other uses of CG are very well done, but this bit seemed off, and I don't think it helped.

Another thing is our main character's daughter (whatever her name is) changes her a tune a bit too quick. She hates on her dad pretty hardcore, but she takes very little convincing to turn around which bothers me.

Some of the symbolism is a bit too on the nose.

It's tough to go much deeper without a rewatch which I'll probably do at some point, but for now I'm going to look up Nightwish, because as much as I like this movie, it must have REALLY SUCKED to see it piss 3 million dollars away at the box office.

REWATCH UPDATE

Imaginaerum really is best served with a second go-round since this movie is so densely packed with foreshadowing, symbolism, and parallels that a fair amount of it is liable to be forgotten by the time enough information is revealed for the audience to piece together.

Having seen it again, most everything becomes clear and I was able to enjoy it a fair bit more than the first time.

My criticisms have also shifted a fair bit as well.

The daughter's heel-face turn is easier to buy now that I think about it. The only questions I find raised now are general logical continuity questions like...

How come the snowman is still outside their window after what must be decades? I get that Nightwish comes from Finland and Finland is notoriously cold...

But even if you buy zero snowfall for that entire length of time, this line of reasoning only extends to people who make that mental leap to Finland. In most countries SNOW MELTS.

Also, nothing on the mother? At all? Just that HUGE coincidence?

Other things would be a couple scenes that don't appear to inform the audience of anything such as when Tom wakes up in the orphanage in his old age. This scene doesn't really seem to do anything other than very pointedly drawing attention to the snowman, toy soldier, and arabesque. Alright, that accomplished... closure? It wouldn't be so bad if this scene weren't already bookended by scenes that served the same purpose better.

A few moments also feel torn apart from the story and forced, lockstep, into presenting a musical sequence. This is more to do with editing, and honestly it's pretty nitpicky all things considered. The soundtrack's still kickin' and it does get pretty emotional by the end even if it doesn't quite earn tearjerker status from me.

Altogether, Imaginaerum is a fine movie and while I'm yet reluctant to really really make an exception of it, it's EASILY a recommendation for anyone who enjoys metal, dreamlike surrealism, and a story about letting go of grief.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Omnizoa 03-02-16 11:00 AM

Death Race 2000
Action Comedy / English / 1975

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Originally Posted by Swan
Next he's going to give the 2008 Death Race a
or something.
Nah, that sounds boring, let's watch Death Race 2000, eh?

http://i.imgur.com/kRufL.jpg
wudafuq did i juss wahch???

Well, it was OBVIOUSLY a satire of... something... I think...

Is this The Running Man? Is this supposed to be like the Running Man? Alright...

This whole movie is weird. We spend the first half of the movie following around what anyone would naturally assume is the bad guy only for him to turn into the protagonist by literal process of elimination and all throughout we're given this bizarrely twisted perspective of the world which inexplicably felt more believable in The Hunger Games.

We get cartoony plots, strange dialog, and surprise twists in the form of dead-on-arrival puns. A HAND GRENADE? Really? And they say it so casually like OF COURSE his hand is also secretly a grenade! Jus' go with it, jus' go with it!

I can only assume this was supposed to be some sort of comedy, but everything from the obviously fake blood to the plastic looking cars to the double agent x double agent romance just made me go, HUH??

I was less baffled by Being John Malkovich!

At least now I know where The Tooncinator got his stock car explosion clip.

Omnizoa 03-02-16 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Action / Italian / 1983

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Cited as one of Turbo Kid's biggest influences, it's supposed to be an Italian Road Warrior knock-off. And once again, given that poster, how can I not?

Well, the inspiration is certainly obvious. Turbo Kid borrows a lot from The New Barbarians.

Despite being an obvious Mad Max knock-off, or perhaps BECAUSE it's an obvious Mad Max knock-off, The New Barbarians somehow manages to be better than both Turbo Kid and Death Race 2000 when it comes to it's action.

Turbo Kid suffered from an oversaturation of violence that was over-the-top, always gruesome, and always bloody. Lots of CG blood.

Death Race 2000 suffered from most of it's violence being fake to an almost cartoonish degree. Lots of really obviously prop blood.

The New Barbarians restrains itself to realism by barely using any blood, never being overly graphic in it's depiction of gruesome deaths, and smartly limiting it's gruesome deaths in the same way Fury Road does so when one actually does pop up, you're not already desensitized to it and expecting it.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/5-16-2015/PLrlbd.gif

The action is easily the best thing the movie has going for it though, so as much as will argue that it's a better movie than both Turbo Kid and Death Race 2000 as a whole, it has neither the nostalgic charm or comedic edge of those movies.

I don't think it really needs them though, as I said Death Race 2000's attempts at humor don't really work and Turbo Kid's graphic bloody violence ruins it's more childish ambitions. That said, The New Barbarians doesn't exactly offer anything else in exchange.

The story is so stock that the bad guy's motivations can be basically explained away as "they're godless homosexuals who love death".

At least I THINK that's what I'm supposed to be getting out of this.

I won't go into why the whole lack-of-women thing doesn't make sense here, but I will say that a homoerotic undercurrent becomes a homoerotic OVERCURRENT by the end of the movie.

After the barbarians (all men) are offhandedly called queers, the villain anally rapes the protagonist and the protagonist gets back at him by literally shoving a drill up his ass, which somehow causes him to explode.

https://media.giphy.com/media/BAxrSGwnvPZYc/giphy.gif
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF- brilliant.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Gideon58 03-02-16 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1455974)

Taxi Driver
[Just... Bad]

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
The Gunslinger45 posted the "Are you talkin' to me?" scene to foster's Movie Quotes thread and it reminded me that I still haven't seen Taxi Driver. People also don't have enough reason to hate me either.

It's strange that a movie like Taxi Driver, with a reputation for "greatest movie of all time" nearing that of Citizen Kane (another movie I haven't seen yet), feels so... weak.

Taxi Driver has honestly got to be one of the weakest vigilante movies I've ever seen. Isn't the point of a vigilante movie supposed to be for me to root for an underdog character who takes the law into his own hands? How can I do that if I don't like the character?

Robert De Niro as a nearly unrecognizably young Travis Bickle comes across as... a self-righteous wannabe in a bad way.

Before we're even given any reason to think vigilantism might even be necessary, Travis monologues about "all the scum on the streets" as if he was Rorschach or something.

http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/w...1288c48469.jpg
I don't recall Rorschach wanting to "clean up the queens" though. >.>

Thing is, Rorschach is already a vigilante. Travis isn't yet. So we have to see what provokes him to become one.

Apparently one scene in which a hooker stumbles into his cab and gets dragged out by a pimp is enough for him to buy multiple guns, design a fancy hidden-gun-esque device for his arms, and then idle until the end of the movie to confuse the **** out of me with his motivations.

He talks up one woman which is just agonizing to watch.

Why would any sane woman agree to a date with someone who creepily stalks and approaches you for you looks alone? RED FLAG.

Then once they're on a date, Travis admits that he has an irrational hatred for her friendly co-worker, likely out of jealousy. RED FLAG.

Then he convinces her to see a porno. OOOOHHH!!! Step BACK! THAT'S CROSSING THE LINE! And here I thought you actually liked me for my personality and political beliefs!

The woman actually works for a senator's political campaign and despite having what seems to be a pleasant exchange in his cab, Travis's first target seems to be the senator himself. Why? What possible excuse could he have to kill the senator? What, does he believe it might somehow allow him to see the woman if there's no candidate for her to work for? Where's the dialog for that? What, why, how, when???????

He talks to probably one of the nicest and most genial pimps I've ever seen and suddenly he comes away with "that guy is the sickest worst scum of the earth", WHYYYY??? Haven't you seen worse by now?

I read that Travis is supposed to be "mentally unstable" which seems to be only reinforced by the medicine he's taking. Without that he might as well just be some random douchebag. And I hate saying douchebag, but really what does it add to the story to make him "mentally unstable"?

Okay, so this is the story about a mentally ill taxi driver who's unrealistic standards provokes him to almost shoot a politician and kill a few thugs to help one girl and impress another who left him? Save his go-go-gadget guns, I'm not impressed.

I liked the noir elements of the movie, the music and attention to detail really helped set the mood, but I was so distant from the characters that everything felt unnecessarily drawn out. Travis's "death scene" is followed by a nearly 3 MINUTE collection of pan shots away from his body which just goes to serve as probably the most egregious example of padding.

He doesn't even die either, which is sorta good. At least the vigilante lives to vigilant again... I guess?

I can think of a bunch of movies that did a better job of giving me reason to empathize with the vigilante:

The Brave One
Falling Down
Taken
Kick-Ass
The Crow
Batman Begins

V For Vendetta

Hell, friggen' DARK MAN, as stupidly cheesy and hilariously over-the-top as it is, did a better job making me feel bad about the hero and want him to beat the bad guys.

I love Taxi Driver, but even I always wondered why when Travis finally gets a date with Betsy (Cybill Shepherd), he takes her to a porno movie...that's just not right.

Tugg 03-02-16 10:03 PM

I'm with Omnizoa on "Taxi Driver". We really don't get to see what motivates Travis to lash out.

Omnizoa 03-02-16 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58
I love Taxi Driver, but even I always wondered why when Travis finally gets a date with Betsy (Cybill Shepherd), he takes her to a porno movie...that's just not right.
Because he only wants to get in her pants.
Because he only cares about her sexually.
Because he only knows her skin-deep.
Because he's shallow.
Because he's an unlikable character.
Because it's one of the greatest movies of all time.

Originally Posted by Tugg
I'm with Omnizoa on "Taxi Driver". We really don't get to see what motivates Travis to lash out.
That's really my biggest deal with the movie save the time it seems to waste just setting up and knocking down his love interest. I don't think "character study" means "study the movie's character until you figure him out".

If I understood Travis better I could like him better, if I liked him better I could care about him more, if I could care about him more MAYBE I could excuse a 3 minute dirge before a dumb twist reminds me that those 3 minutes were, in fact, a waste of my time.

MovieMeditation 03-03-16 02:40 AM

Death Race remake next! :up:

Omnizoa 03-03-16 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1470345)
Death Race remake next! :up:
Is that a request?

MovieMeditation 03-03-16 03:24 AM

Well, I just thought since that was first suggested to you it would be fun to do. Also, yeah, it's kind of a request. :D

Omnizoa 03-03-16 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1470378)
Well, I just thought since that was first suggested to you it would be fun to do. Also, yeah, it's kind of a request. :D
Sure, I'll give it a watch. :3