Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What if lightsabers were public domain? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=45700)

foster 05-20-16 02:40 AM

What if lightsabers were public domain?

Would it be cool if any movie that wanted to could use light sabers?

AboveTheClouds 05-20-16 03:18 AM

Re: What if lightsabers were public domain?

They kinda, sorta are I think. But under the generic "laser sword" sort of a thing. I wonder if they could call them beam blades or laser scimitars or something and skirt the copyright.

foster 05-20-16 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by AboveTheClouds (Post 1518098)
They kinda, sorta are I think. But under the generic "laser sword" sort of a thing. I wonder if they could call them beam blades or laser scimitars or something and skirt the copyright.
What film uses laser swords? Preferably something in the last 20 years.

AboveTheClouds 05-20-16 03:31 AM

I was more or less speculating hence the "I Think", and then kind of posed the question of "could they skirt the copyright". In truth, I'm kind of intrigued by this as well, as I did think they could use them in any given medium as long as it didn't use the term "lightsaber", I mean the concept of an fictional energy weapon can't be trademarked entirely, right?. I've seen them used in anime, comics and video games and it's usually just referred to as energy sword/blade. Does Star Wars really have a monopoly on energy swords?

foster 05-20-16 03:34 AM

I've never seen another film use them so I can only assume that george lucas would sue the crap out of you.
Or disney these days.

AboveTheClouds 05-20-16 03:37 AM

Damn you Disney, ruining the only thing about Star Wars I really liked :(

Omnizoa 05-20-16 04:22 AM

Starcrash

foster 05-20-16 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1518122)
interesting.. but.. one year after A New Hope.. seems significant.

Mr Minio 05-20-16 06:04 AM

Wanted to post about Starcrash, too, but Omnizoa was faster. The movie is a masterpiece, you can't even say it's not.

SeeingisBelieving 05-20-16 06:57 AM

The cartoon Ulysses 31 also featured a combination blaster and laser sword.

SeeingisBelieving 05-20-16 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1518130)
Wanted to post about Starcrash, too, but Omnizoa was faster. The movie is a masterpiece, you can't even say it's not.
It looks it :p.

Kaplan 05-20-16 08:08 AM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...lone+starr.jpg

I think every movie should start inserting a lightsaber scene...romantic comedies, westerns, European arthouse films. How awesome that would be. They could digitally insert lightsabers into The Seven Samurai. The possibilities are endless, if only...:(

Omnizoa 05-20-16 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kaplan
They could digitally insert lightsabers into The Seven Samurai.
That might already exist somewhere.

SeeingisBelieving 05-20-16 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kaplan (Post 1518147)
"I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate"

SeeingisBelieving 05-20-16 09:18 AM

Something's telling me that the Headless Monks in Doctor Who a few years ago used flame-like swords. I haven't seen the episode – I think I had a drain to clean.

NextScorsese 05-20-16 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1518130)
Ha, yes I can, it's not a masterpiece.