Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Official Criterion Collection Reviews Tab (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=29117)

donniedarko 07-25-12 07:55 PM

The Official Criterion Collection Reviews Tab

I thought it would be a good idea to make a tab for reviews of Criterion Collection DVDs/Blurays. I was thinking of the review to feature ratings for film itself, packaging, audio,picture,and special features, but review as you please.

I will be updating this post with a glossary that shows what Criterion were reviewed, by who, and on what page. Therefore if anyone wants to see what a MOFO thought of a criterion title they can just look through the glossary.

Then another idea I had for the future, if enough people participate, I can find average rating and edit this with average ratings for criterion titles which multiple MOFOs have seen.
For this to work I need enough people to review so please review away! :up:

Glossary

Page 1
Diabolique (2011 edition)(Donniedarko)
Cul-De-Sac (Donniedarko)
Stagecoach (Rauldc14)
Man Bites Dog (Donniedarko)
My Own Private Idaho (Sexy Celebrity)
Royal Tenenbamus (Rauldc14)
The Killing (Donniedarko)
Breathless (Blu Ray)(DonnieDarko)

Page 3
Down by the law (sexy celebrity)
Branded to Kill (Tyler1)
Letter Never Sent (linesplay)
The Great Dictator (donniedarko)
Down by the Law (Tyler1)

Page 4
Simon of the Desert (donniedarko)

donniedarko 07-26-12 06:09 PM

Re: The Official Criterion Collection Reviews Tab

Diabolique (2011 edition)
1955, Directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot

Film Review: "Some things you can't swallow, and I'm not talking about the fish." Clouzot is widely viewed as the French Hitchcock, Diabolique is like a French version of Vertigo with a touch of Psycho. Not only was this a fantastic horror with a hell of an ending, this did much more than scare. It was wonderful story telling with superb dialogue, countless amount of quotes to remember. This film ended telling you to please not babble about the ending, which was later used in Hitchcock's Psycho. Looking back at this film Hitch borrowed quite a bit from it. Vera Clouzot played a believable sick fearful woman while her counter part Nicole played by Signoret was cool and relaxed. This made a wonderful balance. The film started playing with your mind, you couldn't wait to see the end, when you see it your jaw is open and you have the feeling of clapping to salute Clouzot. It's unique and revolutionary towards the genre and I'm glad it has lived on all these years.

Audio: Very clear to here, and I wasn't even using the speakers for this one.

Picture: No complaints, looked crisp.

Packaging/Artwork: Beautiful illustrations, the cover was an improvement and the booklet looked nice. I'm not sure if this goes under artwork but the disc menu looked really cool too.

Special Features: The introduction really got you anticipating the film. The commentary was observant but kind of boring. The interview with Kim Newman was so so. The trailer was cool but nothing special. Nice little booklet that talked about the life of Cluzot and put murder in the same category as art.

Total:

donniedarko 08-01-12 04:00 PM

Crap! Accidentally wrote my Diabolique review over Cul-De-Sac, I'll write what I can remeber.

Cul-de-Sac

1966, Directed by Roman Polanski

Film Review: Cul-De-Sac is Polanskis favorite film an its truly a unique and Ironic one. It was shot so perfectly,every single angle was perfect. Polanski created a new world on this island. A new isolated strange disastrous world. This is what shows that he is the bet director, ever. The plot is simple, a man who gets in "trouble" holds a married couple hostage. He ruins there telephone, chicken ken, and there relationship. The wife seems to wear the pants in the relationship and the husband is a coward. It is something new but it's not something great. Good but not great, as I would call his films of The Pianist, Rosemary's Baby, and Chinatown. It's Black & White which gives it a mediaeval effect which is reflected in the beautiful character of the wife, who was casted at the last moment. I can see why some call it the best and why some hate it, I certainly don't feel either. It is enjoyable and is the first and last of its type, therefore as an art house film it gets a positive rating from me.

Audio: Kinda jumpy at points, had to turn on subtitles, it got more stable later on though.

Picture: Not sketchy like many B&W films everything was clear.

Packaging/Artwork: Great cover showing a notable scene in the film. The booklat looked very nice

Special Features: The booklet flipped the pages for itself. Documentary was very insightful. Trailers were kinda pointless though. The interview with Polanski was sorta boring. What it had was OK but I wish it had more

Total:

Kakarot89 09-02-12 06:11 PM

Hey, can I do one for Ran even though it's been discontinued by Criterion?

wintertriangles 09-02-12 06:20 PM

Yes, it's still in the collection

donniedarko 09-03-12 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kakarot89 (Post 840629)
Hey, can I do one for Ran even though it's been discontinued by Criterion?
What winter triangles said

rauldc14 09-03-12 01:48 AM

I forgot about this thread. I'll be doing Stagecoach and The Royal Tenenbaums soon.

rauldc14 09-03-12 08:06 PM

Stagecoach
1939, Directed by John Ford

This is the movie that literally catapulted John Wayne's career. The film follows a group of strangers riding on a stagecoach through dangerous Apache territory.
Although Ford had made many Westerns in the silent film era, he had never previously directed a sound Western. And with the 1930's being a bit of a downer as far a the Western genre goes, Ford delivered. Stagecoach was the first of many Westerns that Ford shot using Monument Valley, in the American Southwest on the Arizona-Utah border, as a location, many of which also starred John Wayne. All in all, it is a pretty well directed and well acted film, without me giving too much away.

Rating: 7/10

Audio: The audio did have a couple troubling points here and there, but nothing to crazy to complain about-- 7/10

Picture: The picture for a 1939 B&W film was shot pretty candidly.-- 8/10

Packaging/Artwork: Probably one of the biggest downfalls, really nothing to write home about. The packaging and artwork makes the film look old in itself, though that could have been the purpose anyways.-- 5/10

Special Features: I haven't gotten through them all, but there is a lot to be had in this department. Actually one of John Ford's earlier silent westerns are part of the special features, and I'd like to see that. 8/10 thus far.

Overall: 7/10

donniedarko 09-04-12 10:16 PM

^great review, and I looked through the extras on there an WOW!

looking forward to your review for The Royal Tenenbaums.

And this weekend or the next I should be watching my Man Bites Dog criterion so I'll be reviewing that soon.

So many movies to watch so little time

donniedarko 09-08-12 09:06 PM

Man Bites Dog

Film Review (Also in Movie Tab II)
This film is violent, nasty, and has some of the best black humor since Dr. Strangelove. The serial killer being followed by the documentary crew in this mockumentary is Ben. He is an expert in killing, dirty jokes, and probably majored in philosophy in college. Which is probably why he steals to pay the bills. While I wouldn't rank this near the most disturbing film like many have, there were sequences of violence that were hard to watch. Most notably the rape scene, which had an even more gruesome aftermath than the one in A Clockwork Orange.

Ben killed 34 people in this film, one of them a child. We only saw one man escape from him. All the kills were unique, the three directors didn't reuse ideas. We can only assume the countless amount of people he killed before this showbiz crew somehow found him. While the serial killer is enjoyable to listen to the cast made sure you didn't forget how bad he really was. That's a problem with some of the films that follow purely the villain, you start rooting for him.

There were a few plot holes I spotted. Why wouldn't the police seize the documentary footage? It didn't really take much away but it could be the reason this is refereed to as an exploitation film. Which is not what the directors intended. The movie could bring humor into dark areas. It was even cartoonish in a sense, Ben looked at killing as if he was animating Tom & Jerry. This made it a unique and powerful film.

Audio- Crisp and clear, I'd even say perfect

Picture- I'm not sure if it was intentional but some points were kinda sketchy, wasn't bad but didn't go up to expectation for a criterion

Artwork- I wish they would've used something else for the booklet then they used for the cover. I like how the disc looked though

Special Features- A boring short film, short interview, decent trailer, and a thin booklet. The only actual good thing on here were the stills. I wish they had some more.

Total-

Sexy Celebrity 09-23-12 04:48 AM

I got this today:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WkKZJVG5wT...1991-Cover.jpg

I reviewed the movie last year here. I didn't give it such a great review.

But this Criterion Collection edition is beautiful. Comes in a box with a thing you pull out and fold open to find two DVDs. Also comes with a book which features interviews. I have not watched any of the special features, which are on Disc 2, but I've gotta say, the box and the edition alone =
. Just from ... holding it. The whole thing is beautifully designed. One of the best DVDs I have just for the case alone. Maybe even THE best. All movies should come like this. The only flaw about this thing is that it's a DVD and not a Blu-ray, but I forgive it because this thing came out in 2004 (or 2005?).

And of course it's even better because it has two hot guys on the cover.

This is what the front accurately looks like:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WkKZJVG5wT...aho%2B1991.jpg

I'll come back another time to review the special features. Maybe.

rauldc14 10-04-12 02:50 PM

Royal Tenenbaums
2002, Directed by Wes Anderson

The story of an ill-fated man named Royal Tenenbaum (Gene Hackman) in an attempt to get his life back, pretty much. Along the way, trying to gain the respect of his 3 children as well as his wife. The cast has all-star written all over it, with Hackman, Huston, Glover, Wilson Brothers, Paltrow, and Stiller among others. Tons of chaos ensues. Without giving away more, it's a film that is highly liked yet it doesn't all come together (at least for me).

Rating: 6.5/10 (There's good and bad in it for me)

Audio: Crisp and clear, I really can't say that I had a problem with it. It didn't wow me, but it's not the movie where it really has too, either. 8/10

Picture: The picture was well shot to me. Used good locations for all of the filming. 8/10

Packaging/Artwork: Brilliant actually. It's what drew me to get it. 9/10

Special Features: I really didn't enjoy anything there was to offer in this. 4/10

Overall: 6.5/10 for the film- 7/10 overall for it as a criterion.

donniedarko 10-11-12 09:46 PM

The Killing

Movie: The early Kubrick film noir that inspired Tarantinos Resevoir Dogs, goes out of the norm for Hollywood. While a flop at the box office this drew a lot of attention to the crew among which is Sterling Hayden. The film followed five different views of a heist. Showing family lives and the heist itself. Personally I only felt a connection with George, who had the most personal and seem story. It felt bland in its narrative, but this changed after the heist was done. The concluding fifteen minutes were pure awesomeness. Especially the concluding scene will be remembered by me for awhile

Picture: no complaints, everything looks great no sketchy scenes

Audio: actually felt very jumpy for me, sometimes to loud sometimes to quite, and not just by croterion standards by general

Artwork/Packaging- everything looke beautiful, nice cover and inside te box artwork. Even on the discs, wonderful

Supplements- it was loaded, even came with another movie (killers kiss). Plenty of interviews and what not, but while quantitative not qualitative. Not to entertaining or valuable, but there's a lot. And the second movie wasn't anything good.

Total-

For a $30 release I think it's worth it, great for a Kubrick fan, who wants to see his earlier less acclaimed stuff, that led way to him being one of the elite directors of history

wintertriangles 10-11-12 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 849606)
It felt bland in its narrative
Ah? Did you know the jumping around in this film influenced Reservoir Dogs and in turn Pulp Fiction?

Audio: actually felt very jumpy for me, sometimes to loud sometimes to quite, and not just by croterion standards by general
:/ My disc doesn't have this problem, that's odd.

donniedarko 10-11-12 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 849608)
Ah? Did you know the jumping around in this film influenced Reservoir Dogs and in turn Pulp Fiction?
I did, first sentence of my review "he early Kubrick film noir that inspired Tarantinos Resevoir Dogs, goes out of the norm for Hollywood." I felt like Trantinos was more lively

:/ My disc doesn't have this problem, that's odd.
Do you have the blu-ray by any chance?

wintertriangles 10-11-12 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 849612)
I did, first sentence of my review "he early Kubrick film noir that inspired Tarantinos Resevoir Dogs, goes out of the norm for Hollywood." I felt like Trantinos was more lively
Damn I'm a bad reader apparently excuse me :goof:

Do you have the blu-ray by any chance?
Nope. Maybe that's it.

donniedarko 10-11-12 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 849616)

Nope. Maybe that's it.
I was asking because I don't either, The Killers Kiss disc worked fine, and most of the supplements, but I felt like in The Killing the action scenes were un proportionately louder than dialogue.

donniedarko 10-16-12 04:59 PM

Breathless Blu Ray

Film:This is the first Godard movie I can say I was vividly entertained throughout the whole movie. A unique love story between a murderer and an American girl in France. Stuffed with memorable dialogue and every moment something was happening. Practically every single second was filled. I still hate Godard's cinematography style, it's annoying and confusing. Unlike the other Godard works I've seen though this one kept you into it, and started the French new wave.

Picture: Looked very nice for a B&W films I could practically see the colors on my own

Audio: Very nice audio too, everything was clear as water,

Packaging/Artwork: The outer artwork isn't all to great, but the inside screenshots are awesome, and I love those easy to remove easy to put in discs

Supplements: It is absolutely loaded, several enlightening interviews, and video essays. The documentary was cheesy and I actually couldn't finish it, also came with a decent short film. I haven't read the booklet yet but it is nice and thick

Rating:

Even though it's not my favorite film I've seen in the criterion this is the best criterion DVD/Bluray I have from what I've seen

wintertriangles 10-16-12 05:59 PM

This may be a good place to mention it but I feel that, even though it may not have been the case in the directors' heads, French crime films seem to me to be mockeries of crime films, and I mean that in the best way. Films like Breathless or Shoot the Piano Player etc (even Branded to Kill to some extent even though it's Japanese) only make sense if they are mockeries because the criminals are portrayed as total fools.

donniedarko 10-16-12 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 850662)
This may be a good place to mention it but I feel that, even though it may not have been the case in the directors' heads, French crime films seem to me to be mockeries of crime films, and I mean that in the best way. Films like Breathless or Shoot the Piano Player etc (even Branded to Kill to some extent even though it's Japanese) only make sense if they are mockeries because the criminals are portrayed as total fools.
I'm a but confused but at the same time agree with what you're saying. Do you mean like the character from Man Bites Dog?
I wouldn't call them fools, I don't even know the word, care free?

Edit: Goofball, that's the word I was looking for

wintertriangles 10-16-12 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 850696)
I'm a but confused but at the same time agree with what you're saying. Do you mean like the character from Man Bites Dog?
I wouldn't call them fools, I don't even know the word, care free?

Edit: Goofball, that's the word I was looking for
Yes, Benoit fits too, except he was more on purpose. Goofball is appropriate. The only way I can clarify is by adding that French crime films (besides Melville) just seem much less about "crime is cool!" like how I see crime films from here and more about "these people are farcical" but still shot in a "cool" way.

donniedarko 10-20-12 04:40 PM

Does anyone own the three colors boxset
http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/844-three-colors

I'm strongly considering this, you think it's worth it?

wintertriangles 10-20-12 04:54 PM

Of course it is. I already owned a Korean bootleg version of it (still top quality), and rebought it as the Criterion version. The cover art for the three cases is kinda lame but the bonus features are awesome, and there are a lot.

HitchFan97 10-20-12 04:54 PM

It's quite a snazzy looking boxset, but I'd watch the films first. I've never seen them, but I never drop the $30-40 for a Criterion unless it's a film I've already watched and loved- and I certainly wouldn't buy a boxset of movies I might end up disliking.

donniedarko 10-20-12 04:57 PM

Wintertriangles: Cool, I'll probably order it this week. It comes with like four short films which is cool, and I haven't read any of the plot but based on the fact that it symbolizes the French flag is already something intriguing to me. I would wait for another 50% off sale, but I'm not the most patient person unfortunately for my wallet

Hitchfan: most of my DVDs are blind buys, and while I see what you're saying about only buying DVDs you know you'll like (especially with criterions prices) in a way it takes out the fun for me of exploration

wintertriangles 10-20-12 05:37 PM

FYI always wait until July and November to buy criterions because Barnes and Noble has 50% off sales

donniedarko 10-20-12 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 851686)
FYI always wait until July and November to buy criterions because Barnes and Noble has 50% off sales
Well November is coming up so I an wait for that, I picked up my very first ones in June and July (B&N) had buy two get one free and 50% off, actaully I think the 50% off was in August and buy two get one free was July... Not positive. Anyways November is coming so I'll wait for a sale to be announced, and then I'll pick up this boxset

Nausicaä 10-20-12 06:52 PM

I'll be looking at that Barnes and Noble sale, 50% off the Three Colours Trilogy blu-ray would do me very nicely. It's $79 right now and that would make it cheaper than Amazon I believe with the 50% off.

Also if it's in the sale, might go for the new Qatsi trilogy release on blu-ray!

Tyler1 10-20-12 11:42 PM

Blue and White are really, really beautiful movies and I highly recommend both of them to anyone. Red is surprisingly dull and overrated, IMO. Kieslowski's a genius, no doubt about that.

donniedarko 11-01-12 12:27 AM

Sales announced picking up some films tommorow

Nausicaä 11-01-12 01:07 PM

Three Colours Criterion Blu-ray ordered.

donniedarko 11-01-12 06:33 PM

Considering getting it, I'll post what I get tonight.
I'm actually to the store, if they have the Eisentien set I'll get that over Three Colors. My max is 80 bucks shooting for 60

donniedarko 11-01-12 10:51 PM

Ended up spending 62 dollars, and while I really wanted My Dinner with andre, Three Color trilogy, and Battle of the Algires I'm pleased with what I ended up picking up

http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128328
Bicycle Thieves, awesome movie and interesting supplements, I watched it a few months back and I haven't rewatched yet but it's somehow gotten better since I watched it in my mind

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
David leans four earliest films, and even though I might be stupid for buying this without seeing a lean film, I'm looking forward to it

wintertriangles 11-02-12 09:23 AM

I don't think you'll regret the David Lean box. Blithe Spirit is amazing and Noel Coward is just a good writer in general. The second disc on Bicycle Thieves has an interesting documentary and set of interviews.

Nausicaä 11-02-12 10:28 AM

I'm thinking of going for the Qatsi trilogy, The Great Dictator, High & Low, Paths of Glory, Wings of Desire and Rosemary's Baby. All on blu-ray. If still in the sale when I come to order them.

wintertriangles 11-02-12 06:13 PM

I'm holding out for the Pasolini trilogy coming out in a couple weeks. Besides that I've not decided what to get...they need to reissue the out of print Buñuels though

Nausicaä 11-02-12 07:44 PM

^ If that's the trilogy of life, it's half price now even in pre-order stages, so you should be able to pre-order it at $39.99 since it's down to that now at the site. Unless you mean you are going into the actual shop to get it.

How long does this sale normally last?

wintertriangles 11-02-12 07:48 PM

Most of the month. They usually start it midway through though, around the 12th or so, but they started on Halloween, thus I'm confused and uncertain.

Nausicaä 11-02-12 08:05 PM

I'd order it in pre-order stages if you really want it.

Just ordered my second Criterion of this sale, decided to go with this film first:

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/180240000/180248950.JPG

I'm ordering everything separately so to lower the risk of customs charges since every order goes over the stupid maximum import duty, or whatever it is.

Nausicaä 11-03-12 08:33 PM

Decided to order this for my next Criterion, and got it cheaper than the Studio Canal Blu-ray edition that's out here in Britain. So happy with that.

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/180240000/180248846.JPG

wintertriangles 11-03-12 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 854724)
Decided to order this for my next Criterion, and got it cheaper than the Studio Canal Blu-ray edition that's out here in Britain. So happy with that.

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/180240000/180248846.JPG
You've bought the winner of the Mofo tournament congratulations on behalf of someone around here

donniedarko 11-03-12 09:21 PM

I might buy one more boxset depending in if my old video games sell tommorow

Nausicaä 11-03-12 09:23 PM

Bugger, the Qatsi trilogy has gone up in price a bit.

You've bought the winner of the Mofo tournament congratulations on behalf of someone around here
:yup:

donniedarko 11-04-12 10:42 PM

Two more orders, sigh, I need to stop being so wasteful

http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128336
Danton

http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128325
Andre Rublev

Nausicaä 11-05-12 03:14 PM

I ordered another blu-ray in this wonderful sale:

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/180240000/180248566.JPG

I'm glad I'm not in America right now, I'd be getting a lot of these on blu-ray since I wouldn't have to pay for postage! Remind me never to go to America in July or November...

wintertriangles 11-16-12 05:24 PM

Last pick-up here

The Makioka Sisters
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-I6WGhWrqMA...sCriterion.jpg

Last Year at Marienbad
http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128339

Sawdust and Tinsel
http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128332

Trilogy of Life (Not Blu-ray)
http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1345055645

linespalsy 11-16-12 06:47 PM

I considered getting Last Year at Marienbad, Empire of Passion, and Vanya on 42nd Street, but cheapness won out. I got Letter Never Sent - the only one I really wanted that isn't available via netflix or the libraries - for $10. Going to watch it tonight.

Sexy Celebrity 11-20-12 09:13 AM

I bought Jim Jarmusch's Down by Law.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1334594188

The black and white visuals shown over at Blu-ray.com impressed me so much that I wanted to check this out. The director of photography had also done Repo Man, which is a movie I love. I had never even heard of Down by Law before. The movie was good -- kinda straightforward and not very dramatic, but definitely cinematic. I'm not sure what I'd rate the movie.
perhaps. I do recommend it.

linespalsy 11-20-12 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 857674)
I got Letter Never Sent - the only one I really wanted that isn't available via netflix or the libraries - for $10. Going to watch it tonight.
Letter Never Sent is good. The story is as simple as can be but it's worth seeing for the Siberian wilderness. The natural lighting conditions must have been a huge pain in the ass to get but it's worth the effort. The camerawork has some wonderful movement but it seemed to be much more fixed to actual people and the way people move. (I'll have wait till I re-watch it to get a greater sense of how prominent this affect actually is. My personal preference is for the free-floating eye of Soy Cuba).

Tyler1 11-22-12 05:04 AM

Branded To Kill - A review for my Japanese Canon thread

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/180100000/180102228.JPG

Branded To Kill is one of my favourite Japanese films and watching this on the new criterion is delightful. It looks much better than the one I saw a year ago on the out-of-print criterion. There are not a lot of special features here (just ordinary interviews) unlike criterion's High And Low which has an audio commentary. The booklet essay is pretty neat, but it doesnt really go into a more in-depth analysis of the film itself.

Branded To Kill has such a nonsensical plot that defies physics and reason. Neither gangster film nor film noir per se, the film is highly original in its deliriously paced structure. It's also utterly hilarious and playful at the same time. Plus it has one of the sexiest femme fatale I've seen on film.

What I love most about the film is its visual kineticism. In Suzuki's world, bullets can be stopped by butterflies and killers compete with each other over farcical rankings. The poetry of sound complementing surrealistc, avant garde images gives rise to a wholly submersive experience, one that sucks you in and only lets you out after seducing you from first frame to last.

+

donniedarko 12-05-12 12:17 AM

The Great Dictator
Film: I've been a Charles Chaplin fan since I was a child, and watching this for the first time solidified my belief that he's the king of slapstick. Bean, Keaton, and The Stooges are all great, but this man is the klutz you can't rely on. The film parodied the WWII dictators, and life in the earlier ghettos. A lot of people seem to prefer one to another, while the scenes had more to follow, the dictator scenes had the laughs. The chair scene was comedy gold, no one can mock Nazis like Chaplin, well Mel brooks, but thats his main gig.
The end was so unbelievably beautiful and unimaginably relevant today. That was the greatest speech delivered in a film. Show this film and Duck Soup to the young people of the world, and we will have world peace.
+

Audio: The sound was very clear and crisp, vivid, and had good range

Picture: It looked very nice, and not jumpy, but as it's B&W I can't give it more than four, because theres only so much quality you can put in it

Artwork: I really love the cover art, I had a good laugh when i realized what it was showing, I don't like double layered discs though... all the art looked great though

Supplements: I'm not gonna listen to the commentary since that's not my thing, and I'll read the booklet tonight. I saw everything on the second disc including the 54 minute documentary, and while everyone was saying the same thing, it was still very informative on the unique character of Charlie Chaplin. The visual essays were very nice

Total:

donniedarko 12-16-12 12:45 PM

March releases being announced tommorow, since Eraserhead has been added to the criterion on Hulu, I really hope it'll get it's DVD/Blu-ray criterion. Should also be expecting and eclipse, since there been none since the November one

wintertriangles 12-16-12 01:25 PM

I'm pretty glad they announced Un Chronique d'un Été and The Ballad of Narayama. Though, I actually haven't even bought an Eclipse yet....

Nausicaä 12-16-12 07:30 PM

March releases being announced tommorow, since Eraserhead has been added to the criterion on Hulu, I really hope it'll get it's DVD/Blu-ray criterion. Should also be expecting and eclipse, since there been none since the November one
I hope Eraserhead does get one, I put off buying the blu-ray release here in the UK and glad I did now if that's the case! :)

Tyler1 12-17-12 08:25 AM

I just watched Jarmusch's Down By Law. The movie I give 3 stars. I was expecting more from the film and was let down by its downbeat narrative.

Dead Man and Stranger Than Paradise are imo, much better films by Jarmusch.

donniedarko 12-17-12 05:39 PM

Wow March releases are pretty good

A new Chaplin, MonSieur Verdoux
A man Escaped
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp now has an official criterion
Mallicks Bad Land
The Blob
And Fritz Lang Ministry of Fear

TBH, I want them all

Nausicaä 12-17-12 07:14 PM

I'm getting this as soon as it's out:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1355768740

One of my all time favourite films and it's finally getting a blu-ray release(don't think it's ever been out on blu-ray yet), and on Criterion!!

wintertriangles 12-17-12 09:19 PM

I'm probably most interested in the Chaplin and Lang film. The Powell/Pressburger film is a re-release.

NuWell 12-18-12 06:44 PM

Yeah! Some Bresson love. I tor*cough cough it, but think I will spring the dough for it.

NuWell 12-18-12 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler1 (Post 863868)
I just watched Jarmusch's Down By Law. The movie I give 3 stars. I was expecting more from the film and was let down by its downbeat narrative.

Dead Man and Stranger Than Paradise are imo, much better films by Jarmusch.
I agree with your sentiment regarding Dead Man, I still adore Down by Law for its mise-en-scene. The noirish New Orleans, steady, understated. Roberto Benigni's character kept the movie interesting after the break out (the restaurant with the Italian woman is particularly fun) Waits and Lurie were uninspiring.

NuWell 12-18-12 06:52 PM

Andrei Rublev! I'm still mystified by that film, and I haven't watched it in over 2 years! #1 next to The Sacrifice in my personal Tarkovsky list.

donniedarko 12-18-12 06:54 PM

Godard fan, eh?

Unique top 10 you got there, Notre Musique was my first Godard, not great but Definently an intresting piece by the man

NuWell 12-18-12 07:02 PM

Agreed, I was trying to pick the films that had a noticable effect on me. I would actually say that 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her is a far better Godard film, but some of his Nouvelle Vague films don't have the same visceral force as the later (Notre Musique, Keep Your Right Up!, Forever Mozart) which lack the narrative cohesian the earlier films.

Tyler1 12-19-12 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by NuWell (Post 864195)
I agree with your sentiment regarding Dead Man, I still adore Down by Law for its mise-en-scene. The noirish New Orleans, steady, understated. Roberto Benigni's character kept the movie interesting after the break out (the restaurant with the Italian woman is particularly fun) Waits and Lurie were uninspiring.
Definitely. I put a spell on you....

donniedarko 12-26-12 04:21 PM

Simon of the Desert

Film: If church isn't enough to convince you of the high absurdity of religious fanaticism, then watch Simon of the Desert. Filmed by Luis Bunuel in Mexico, the film takes religious text of bible, and shows it when worshiped as truth. It could've showed the more genocidal and hellish acts depicted as "good deeds", but instead it brings the parts that make the bible (or more the worshipers) a laughing stock. It's much more than a mockery though. It's a story of obsession, spirituality, and self inflicted misery. The film has been overshadowed over the years, but I encourage a watch of this satire. It left a surreal feeling on me, it's a great perspective on excessive spirituality.

Picture: B&W picture always looks great on criterion discs, so obviously no complaints

Audio: Sounded good to me, nothing amazing, but good

Arthouse/Packaging: Disc was easy to remove, cover art looked fine, and artwork on the book was awesome

Supplements: There were only two things on the disc (it's a $25 release afterall). One was a pretty boring documentary on Bunuels works in Mexico and the other was an exclusive interview with Pineal. The booklet had a very nice essay and a though provoking interview

Total:

For the price get it, and if Criterion continues its pattern this will be OOP anyday now

wintertriangles 01-15-13 06:49 PM

Releases for April

Richard III (reissue) - Olivier
Gate of Hell - Kinugasa
Naked Lunch (reissue) - Cronenberg
Repo Man - Cox
Pierre Etaix collection
Eclipse 38: Kobayashi Against the System

donniedarko 01-15-13 08:24 PM

Good releases, I'm especially looking forward to Richard III. March and April releases are gonna empty my wallet, I have mixed feelings on that.

wintertriangles 01-15-13 08:37 PM

Tis why I wait for the 50% off sales. I own the first issue of Richard III already but god that cover art is awesome

NuWell 01-16-13 09:04 AM

Fritz Lang's Ministry of Fear
Charlie Chaplin Monsieur Verdoux
Jean Loach and Edgar Morin Chronicle of a Summer

I might be up for buying 2 and 3, I'll catch the Chaplin flick on Hulu plus, to spare my wallet.

Harry Lime 01-16-13 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by NuWell (Post 871192)
Jean Loach and Edgar Morin Chronicle of a Summer
Jean Rouch.

NuWell 01-17-13 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 871298)
Jean Rouch.
You are correct, my fine sir.

JayDee 01-23-13 09:56 AM

Just wanted to post the art for Repo Man. Has to be amongst my favourite ever pieces of cover art. I'd be tempted to buy it for that alone

donniedarko 01-23-13 12:08 PM

^Thats exactly how I feel about the upcoming release Richard III

NuWell 01-23-13 01:23 PM

^^Is that starring Olivier as well?

wintertriangles 01-23-13 02:46 PM

Yes, he starred and directed all three of his Shakespeare films I think. So did Kenneth Branaugh I believe.

donniedarko 01-23-13 06:59 PM

Question mofos, from the March criterions which ones are you expecting to buy if any? I'm very intrigued by the Chaplin one and The Blob personally.

mark f 01-23-13 07:25 PM

I already own Blimp but it and Verdoux are the best, and The Blob the worst although it's campy enough for a few watches.

Sexy Celebrity 01-24-13 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 873146)
Just wanted to post the art for Repo Man. Has to be amongst my favourite ever pieces of cover art. I'd be tempted to buy it for that alone

I can't wait to get this.

Harry Lime 01-24-13 03:58 AM

It looks they hired a Polish artist from back in the day for that cover.

Loner 01-24-13 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 873146)

April 16th???!!! I can't take the pressure!!!

linespalsy 01-24-13 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Loner (Post 873347)
April 16th???!!! I can't take the pressure!!!
Tense situations, kid. You get into five or six of 'em a day, it don't mean ***** anymore.

P.S. too bad I already have Repo Man. Or perhaps it's too good since I'm sure that version's going to cost a pretty penny.

Loner 01-25-13 06:18 AM

I think I'll have a beer and a plate o' shrimp and try to calm down. If that doesn't work, maybe some yellow cling sliced peaches and a 7 Up.

linespalsy 01-25-13 10:19 AM

http://www.thebeerdrifter.com/wp-con...7/repo-man.jpg

donniedarko 01-25-13 02:42 PM

http://media.lunch.com/d/d7/239774.jpg?2

NuWell 01-28-13 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 873239)

Question mofos, from the March criterions which ones are you expecting to buy if any? I'm very intrigued by the Chaplin one and The Blob personally.
Possibly these two. Really depends on their Hulu Plus status.

donniedarko 02-26-13 08:07 PM

Flash sale on criterion! Get it while its hot

I bought this:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics..._Criterion.jpg
Have no idea what to expect, but I'm excited

hapax_legomena 02-26-13 10:59 PM

http://i.imgur.com/aOsLV2y.png

ka-kow

Nausicaä 02-27-13 12:31 PM

It's a shame it can't be used on pre-ordered films, would have gone for Badlands that's out next month.

hapax_legomena 02-27-13 05:52 PM

I just cannot wait until they release Eraserhead on dvd/blu-ray. I will literally poop muhself.

OMEGA5 03-04-13 04:52 PM

Really looking forward to Badlands!

wintertriangles 03-18-13 09:02 PM

Criterion releases for June

I have never said this before but I really really want to see all four of these new ones.

donniedarko 03-18-13 09:12 PM

I'll be watching Things to Come on Hulu plus, looks pretty cool. Safety last looks really fun, I might pick a copy up come July sale. But ya good releases. But come on CC, release Eraserhead!

hapax_legomena 03-18-13 09:18 PM

They are going to tease us until the very end with Eraserhead. I'm fighting everyone.

Nausicaä 03-18-13 09:18 PM

Yes, Eraserhead is one I'm waiting for too, I put off buying the blu-ray release we got here a year or so ago.

Used Future 03-19-13 01:05 PM

Anyone got the Criterion Eating Raoul disc yet?

Good transfer? Stupid question I guess.

My UK edition is ropey but watchable. Would love an upgrade.

donniedarko 04-13-13 01:50 PM

Last Year at Mariebad is out of print, and here I was planning to buy this during the July sale :(

http://www.criterion.com/films/1517-...r-at-marienbad

wintertriangles 04-13-13 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 895917)
Last Year at Mariebad is out of print, and here I was planning to buy this during the July sale :(

http://www.criterion.com/films/1517-...r-at-marienbad
You should still be able to, B&N aren't really selling out of Criterions, they've probably still got several in stock.

Nausicaä 04-13-13 05:17 PM

Last Year at Mariebad is out of print, and here I was planning to buy this during the July sale
If you really want it and don't want to risk waiting until July, it's still avaliable on Amazon. It's only $24. That's about £15 here in Britain, and for Criterion, that's a fine and dandy price.

Proximity 04-13-13 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by hapax_legomena (Post 881973)
I just cannot wait until they release Eraserhead on dvd/blu-ray. I will literally poop muhself.
Any idea why they haven't yet? It seems strange they would add something to the Collection without offering a physical media format. I just wanna see what they do for the cover.

OMEGA5 04-16-13 12:22 AM

Oh glorious day! Spine #666 is The Devil's Backbone! I simply cannot wait, this movie finally gets a decent transfer! Love Del Toro and cannot wait for this. Looking more forward to this than Pacific Rim!