Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Spock's First Name? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=63574)

Inmyseat 03-20-21 12:46 PM

Spock's First Name?

Leonard Nimoy's Mr.Spock on Star Trek[TOS]mentioned that his first name couldn't be pronounced,so the question is- did the writers give him one and if so what is it?

Citizen Rules 03-20-21 01:39 PM

Soupy Spock Jr. That's his full name:p Nah, unless some writer scribbled in a name on the script as a joke, then Spock's character doesn't have a first name. At least not one us humans know of.

Holden Pike 03-20-21 02:26 PM

Re: Spock's First Name?

Spock S. Spock
Benjamin Spock
Boaty McBoatface Spock

Chypmunk 03-20-21 03:23 PM

It's Hitch.
Hitch Spock.

ynwtf 03-20-21 03:39 PM

I now want a bumper sticker that says, "First name: Spock, Last name: You. Now get out of the fast lane."

Darth Wish 03-20-21 05:19 PM

His first name was.... Mister. :D

Citizen Rules 03-20-21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Wish (Post 2188880)
His first name was.... Mister. :D
:up: Ha, good one!

Captain Steel 03-20-21 08:24 PM

Vulcans do names like Eastern Asians on Earth - first name last, last name first.
His first name was actually Mxyzptlk.
Written in English his name would be Spock, Mxyzptlk.
And if we could say it, we would have called him Mr. Mxyzptlk.

John Dumbear 03-21-21 12:41 AM

Wait, his mother was human. Would she really give him a name that was unpronounceable?

honeykid 03-21-21 09:21 AM

Would the patriarchy give her any choice? ;)

Stirchley 03-22-21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by John Dumbear (Post 2188956)
Wait, his mother was human. Would she really give him a name that was unpronounceable?
Thousands of mothers do this.

skizzerflake 03-22-21 02:38 PM

Plenty of humans have names I can't pronounce, so that's not much of a problem. I never worried much about his name as much as the question of, given that he was from some other distant world, how the heck did it happen that they were humanoids, differing only in their eyebrows, who reproduced like earthlings, and presumably had anatomy and DNA that was close enough for a hybrid.

I don't have to go past my backyard to see creatures like squirrels or sparrows that I can't mate with. Extraterrestrials might "do it" with their pinkie toes.

gbgoodies 03-24-21 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Inmyseat (Post 2188789)
Leonard Nimoy's Mr.Spock on Star Trek[TOS]mentioned that his first name couldn't be pronounced,so the question is- did the writers give him one and if so what is it?

I don't think Spock was ever given a first name in the TV show or movies, but if I remember correctly, one of the books gave him a first name, but I don't remember which book, or the name.

Darth Wish 03-24-21 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by skizzerflake (Post 2189282)
Extraterrestrials might "do it" with their pinkie toes.
That would explain some of the videos I have watched online then! :D