Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mortal Kombat Reboot (2021) (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=46442)

rambond 08-13-16 03:13 AM

Mortal Kombat Reboot (2021)

just read yesterday that director james wan(insidious,the conjuring ) is contemplating the idea for this remake and this time he says: its gonna take it its time to make it right this time around.
I think we are in for a treat hopefully since i like this director from what he offered us lately,
I have to say i enjoyed the 1995 film it was a guilty pleasure although generic , but i liked the casting of paul w s anderson, johnny cage was great, as was chang sung portrayed by kary hiroyuki tagawa which i like him a lot in other movies aswell.
Robin shu i think was a bit wooden in the film could have done much better, and christopher lambert i think did good with the material at hand although secondary role in the film didn t help much but his presence was felt everytime he was on screen.
Have your say about one of the best videogame franchise turned into movie.

CosmicRunaway 08-13-16 06:52 AM

Mortal Kombat and Annihilation were not good movies at all, but I think they're fun and enjoyable for what they are. When I was a kid I thought I liked Annihilation better, but I semi-recently watched both again, and I definitely think the first one is better now. It actually tries to be like the video game by having a Tournament, and I love that they made Goro animatronic, because the CG ending fight in Annihilation proved it would've looked beyond terrible otherwise.

Also this music still gets me pumped. If this is in the new movie in some form or another, I'd watch it regardless of quality haha.

Iroquois 08-13-16 09:11 AM

Re: UPCOMING MORTAL KOMBAT MOVIE

I liked the original movie and didn't mind Annihilation as much as I thought I would, but I won't deny that this is a property that might benefit from an all-new movie. At least this time it might stand a chance of being rated R and feature all sorts of aesthetic upgrades.

The Gunslinger45 08-13-16 03:08 PM

I loved the first Mortal Kombat. Annihilation was an abomination. I would not mind a remake really. As much as I love the first movie a proper R rated movie would be badass.

Camo 08-13-16 03:11 PM

The first movie is a big guilty pleasure of mine. The acting is terrible but it is just so much cheesy fun. Annihilation is terrible though. Probably in my ten least favourite movies ever.

rambond 08-13-16 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 1559185)
Mortal Kombat and Annihilation were not good movies at all, but I think they're fun and enjoyable for what they are. When I was a kid I thought I liked Annihilation better, but I semi-recently watched both again, and I definitely think the first one is better now. It actually tries to be like the video game by having a Tournament, and I love that they made Goro animatronic, because the CG ending fight in Annihilation proved it would've looked beyond terrible otherwise.

Also this music still gets me pumped. If this is in the new movie in some form or another, I'd watch it regardless of quality haha.

Amazing song captures the feel of the movie very nicely

WorldFilmGeek 12-08-16 09:25 AM

James Wan is producing the new film and a director may have been tapped in Simon McQuoid, a commercial director from Australia.

TONGO 12-08-16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1559381)
The first movie is a big guilty pleasure of mine. The acting is terrible but it is just so much cheesy fun. Annihilation is terrible though. Probably in my ten least favourite movies ever.
Completely agree, that first one was spot-on targeting game players and mainstream alike. That sequel was so bad :sick:

I dont know if Mortal Kombats sequel or Highlanders sequel was worse, I just cant tell, the films are down there so low.

WorldFilmGeek 12-08-16 05:12 PM

I think at this point, Mortal Kombat Annihilation will be known as not only the bad sequel, but we got our first taste of Darth Maul himself, Ray Park, as mortal Raiden's stunt double and Tony Jaa as Robin Shou's stunt double (Jaa executed an insane jumping spin kick in the Baraka fight)

Andrea 12-09-16 06:54 AM

Would be exciting if they'll make a movie with DC like what they did in the game.

GorillaTripping 12-09-16 09:08 AM

Mortal Kombat movies are rare types of movies which you loved as a kid, see their flaws as an adult, but continue to appreciate them without feeling remorse for liking them.

There was a great trailer for a Mortal Kombat show that was never made (or was made as a YouTube series). People went bonkers on it, and it is a shame it didn't get funded as I would've liked the gritty version of Mortal Kombat.

The Rodent 09-28-18 10:35 PM

News in on this:
James Wan and his team have finished the script... and are now searching filming locations.

It sounds awful too.

Kano is now a good guy.
Sonya Blade is now a reporter.
Jax Briggs is now Jackson Bridges and has metal hands instead of bionic arms.
Mileena is now human.
Kung Lao is Liu Kang's brother instead of ancestor and is a mute.
Shang Tsung is a shapeshifter.

Oh and...
Raiden is 14 years old.
And Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub Zero, and Goro... and Liu Kang... are not in it... even though Kung Lao is billed as Liu Kang's brother.

And get this...
They're introducing a new character who will be the lead character of the movie.
Cole Turner... a boxer from Philadelphia (ala; Rocky) who is a single parent to a 12 year old girl, with some in-laws who hate him... and he is chosen to defend Earth in Mortal Kombat.
Sonya is the one who picks him too, not Raiden.

The Rodent 09-28-18 10:36 PM

Just reading over my post ^^ and it looks like I've made a joke post.

It isn't a joke.

Iroquois 09-29-18 12:54 AM

I had heard about the all-new boxer protagonist a while ago but apparently I had blocked it from my memory until reading that post again. I can maybe understand not wanting to repeat "Liu Kang avenges all-new brother character" from the original movie but that's a terrible way to go about it.

Doolallyfrank 09-29-18 07:49 AM

When's Will Smith signing?

TheUsualSuspect 09-29-18 12:23 PM

What. The. Hell???

That’s the story and characters they’re going with? It can’t be true. Why piss off and alienate the fan base???

Iroquois 09-29-18 12:32 PM

Because it's a videogame movie and they can't run even the slightest risk of it turning out good.

Iroquois 05-15-19 10:37 AM

So it apparently starts production in South Australia later this month. Looks like James Wan and Simon McQuoid are still attached, though no further word on casting beyond a rumour that Joel Edgerton would play Kano.

WorldFilmGeek 07-09-19 05:05 PM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1222984

Joe Taslim (The Raid, The Night Comes for Us) is playing Sub-Zero

rambond 08-18-19 04:26 AM

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...na-raiden-jax/