Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Co-stars Who Didn't Get Along (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=40435)

Gideon58 03-28-15 12:49 PM

Co-stars Who Didn't Get Along

This kind of stuff just fascinates me. I love finding about stars who didn't get along at all during the making of the film and whether or not that tension shows onscreen. I'm going to start with the few I know about and I would love to hear more that I don't know about. I'm also interested in hearing about actors who didn't get along with their directors. These are ones that I know about off the top of my head:

1) On this subject, the first thing that always comes to mind for me is Barbra Streisand and Walter Matthau in Hello Dolly! These two couldn't stand each other and the tension shows onscreen IMO.

2) I only learned about this one recently and it kind of upset me, but apparently Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss didn't get along at all during the filming of What About Bob? This shocked me because I thought this two worked really well together and I had no sense while watching the film that these two did not get along at all.

3) It's always been part of Hollywood folklore that Bette Davis and Joan Crawford hated each other long before they stepped onto the set of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, but in this case, the tension between the actresses really worked for the movie and something tells me director Robert Aldrich knew this would be the case and took advantage of it.

4) Though I think the movie My Week with Marilyn downplays it a bit, apparently Marilyn Monroe and Laurence Olivier did not get along at all during the filming of The Prince and the Showgirl.

5) Apparently Chevy Chase and Bill Murray didn't get along too well during the making of Caddyshack and weren't thrilled at all when a scene for the two of them together was added to the screenplay.

6) Bette Davis also apparently had a lot of problems working with Susan Hayward on the 1964 film Where Love has Gone.

7) Believe it or not, there were apparently a lot of problems between Judy Garland and Gene Kelly on the set of The Pirate. Judy was at the height of her drug addiction during this film and apparently suspected that Kelly and her husband Vincente Minnelli were having an affair.

8) Apparently, there was also a lot of tension between Lucille Ball and Beatrice Arthur on the set of the 1974 musical Mame, which apparently stemmed from Arthur's disappointment that Angela Lansbury was not allowed to recreate her Broadway role for the movie.

Please feel free to share some more that I don't know about.

TONGO 03-28-15 12:53 PM

http://www.bet.com/shows/bet-star-ci...train-16x9.jpg

I heard there was tons of friction between Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes when making Money Train. In one instance Snipes was wanting to incorporate his karate into some fight scenes, using a palm instead of a fist, and Woody quiped "that may be how you hit your sister". Another time filming I heard the two actually came to blows and had to be pulled apart. I dont know if Woody was so stoned he was annoying as hell, or didnt care about Snipes possible diva ego, but I gotta give him props for not giving a crap about Wesley "Im a hard man" Snipes either way.

Optimus 03-28-15 01:19 PM

Re: Co-stars Who Didn't Get Along

^^^^
They had worked together before on White Men Can't Jump so seems strange they wouldn't get along.

Monkeypunch 03-28-15 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 1277345)

5) Apparently Chevy Chase and Bill Murray didn't get along too well during the making of Caddyshack and weren't thrilled at all when a scene for the two of them together was added to the screenplay.
Actually not true! Chevy Chase and Bill Murray wrote that scene together on the fly over lunch because they didn't have any scenes together and they thought that was weird. Ted Knight, however, did not get along with Rodney Dangerfield at all because of Dangerfield's constant ad libbing instead of sticking to the script. I saw a documentary about the making of Caddyshack. :)

The Rodent 03-28-15 01:24 PM

Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw when they starred in Jaws.

The Rodent 03-28-15 01:27 PM

Bill Murray did hate Lucy Liu though when they starred together in Charlie's Angels... he said her ego was too big for who she is, and refused to appear in the sequel.

Optimus 03-28-15 01:29 PM

Apparently Tom Hardy and Shia Labouf came to blows filming Lawless. Shia was supposed to have had the better of Tom Hardy aswell.

The Rodent 03-28-15 01:29 PM

Clare Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio hated each other on Romeo And Juliet.
She called him immature and he said she was a prude.

Danes turned down a role in "J Edgar" because DiCaprio was in it.

The Rodent 03-28-15 01:34 PM

Pierce Brosnan and Teri Hatcher in Tomorrow Never Dies... Hatcher would turn up late every day, fluff her scenes numerous times, and act like a twat to everyone on set like she was something special.

The Rodent 03-28-15 01:35 PM

Shannen Doherty and almost everyone she has worked with.

The Rodent 03-28-15 01:37 PM

Debra Winger hated Richard Gere when she starred in An Officer And A Gentleman. She called him a "brick wall" in terms of acting talent.

The Rodent 03-28-15 01:41 PM

Apparently every single person involved in the 50 Shades Of Grey movie hated each other. Actors, producers, director, director of photography, everyone...

Apparently they all hated the film too, and the filming of it, and the adaption from book to film... and everything else in between.

The Rodent 03-28-15 01:54 PM

Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Kotto in Blue Collar all hated each other.

Pryor would turn up wasted on drugs most of the time and even pointed a gun at Schrader when he was asked to do another take of a scene.

As soon as the director yelled cut, they would physically fight. At one point Pryor punched Keitel for no reason and then hit Kotto with a chair.
Kotto also hated that Pryor would never keep to the script
Both Keitel and Kotto also hated that Pryor got top billing, two pictures of himself on the poster whereas they never got a top billing nor had their faces at all on the poster.

The three of them argued and fought so much that the director Paul Schrader had a breakdown on set and this was his directorial debut too. Shrader has apparently disowned the film.

Monkeypunch 03-28-15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1277365)
Shannen Doherty and almost everyone she has worked with.
Shannon Doherty stabbed Kevin Smith in the back when they finished Mallrats and she wasn't asked to appear in Dogma, which was what she really wanted. She bad-mouthed the director and the movie itself so much in interviews, it fared incredibly poorly in cinemas. Smith and Doherty eventually made up, and she appeared in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and in the upcoming Mallrats 2.

Gideon58 03-28-15 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1277366)
Debra Winger hated Richard Gere when she starred in An Officer And A Gentleman. She called him a "brick wall" in terms of acting talent.
I've heard lots of horror stories about Debra Winger, though nothing I can confirm...when she accepted her Oscar for Terms of Endearment. Shirley MacLaine referred to her as "Dear, disturbed Debra".

Sexy Celebrity 03-28-15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch (Post 1277401)
Shannon Doherty stabbed Kevin Smith in the back when they finished Mallrats and she wasn't asked to appear in Dogma, which was what she really wanted. She bad-mouthed the director and the movie itself so much in interviews, it fared incredibly poorly in cinemas. Smith and Doherty eventually made up, and she appeared in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and in the upcoming Mallrats 2.
Seriously?? There's going to be a Mallrats 2?

Gideon58 03-28-15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1277360)
Bill Murray did hate Lucy Liu though when they starred together in Charlie's Angels... he said her ego was too big for who she is, and refused to appear in the sequel.
Always wondered why Murray didn't return for the sequel. Though this isn't the first story I've heard about Lucy Liu's ego.

Sexy Celebrity 03-28-15 04:57 PM

Speaking of Bill Murray, John Waters didn't like the fact that Bill Murray sang a song for his 1981 movie, Polyester. I think he's come to like it now, but he didn't back in the day, because it was Bill Murray.

Sexy Celebrity 03-28-15 04:59 PM

This is the Bill Murray song I'm referring to, in case you're curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3bAa2q5TVk

It seems it cuts off before he can say "Francine" at the end.

The Sci-Fi Slob 03-28-15 05:01 PM

Apparently, Shia LaBeouf and Tom Hardy got into a fist fight during the filming of Lawless.