Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Captain Marvel (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59089)

yellowjacket1 03-10-19 03:18 PM

Captain Marvel

Forget politics, the movie itself is just bland.

On my “Best Comic Book Movies of All-Time” list I place Captain Marvel at #36. Shows you the extent of its blandness. It’s not offensively bad but it is annoyingly below average. Better than such things as X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Rise of the Silver Surfer but not by much. Captain Marvel being close to that quality is a stunning turn for the MCU and certainly the worst effort the studio has produced in their existence.

In a strange analogy, Captain Marvel is to Marvel Studios what the Vietnam War was to America. Controversial endeavor that the powers to be deemed necessary but overall detrimental. To quote Bill Murray’s Stripes: “We've been kickin' ass for 200 years. We're 10 and 1.” Well, Marvel Studios is now 20-1 but that’s still a damn good win loss record! Still a fan of the MCU and hoping for a return to glory for the MCU with Endgame.

Iroquois 03-10-19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by yellowjacket1 (Post 1995415)

On my “Best Comic Book Movies of All-Time” list I place Captain Marvel at #36. Shows you the extent of its blandness. It’s not offensively bad but it is annoyingly below average. Better than such things as X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Rise of the Silver Surfer but not by much. Captain Marvel being close to that quality is a stunning turn for the MCU and certainly the worst effort the studio has produced in their existence.

In a strange analogy, Captain Marvel is to Marvel Studios what the Vietnam War was to America. Controversial endeavor that the powers to be deemed necessary but overall detrimental. To quote Bill Murray’s Stripes: “We've been kickin' ass for 200 years. We're 10 and 1.” Well, Marvel Studios is now 20-1 but that’s still a damn good win loss record! Still a fan of the MCU and hoping for a return to glory for the MCU with Endgame.
Guess I can't totally blame you if you think the movie's bland, but to still call it the 36th best comic book movie ever (out of how many exactly? I'd like to see this list now) and also call it the MCU's single misstep when stuff like The Incredible Hulk and Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 2 exists...that's questionable.

Saunch 03-11-19 12:33 AM

I thought this was good but also that it only really shined when it came to Carol and Maria’s interactions where Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck where able to work some of that Mississippi Grind tenderness.

xSookieStackhouse 03-11-19 01:22 AM

Re: Captain Marvel

i dont care if the movie is good or bad and has bad reviews im still gonna watch it no matter what and goose the cat is sooo cute aswell

Raven73 03-11-19 11:21 AM

The movie entertained me. I'm looking forward to seeing Captain Marvel appear in Avengers: End Game.

WARNING: "duck, duck GOOSE!" spoilers below
Questions: What happened to Goose? Do flerkens have the same natural life span of cats? Did she die of indigestion after swallowing the tesseract? In Endgame, are we going to be introduced to a goose named Cat?

Saunch 03-11-19 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Raven73 (Post 1995593)
WARNING: "duck, duck GOOSE!" spoilers below
Questions: What happened to Goose? Do flerkens have the same natural life span of cats? Did she die of indigestion after swallowing the tesseract? In Endgame, are we going to be introduced to a goose named Cat?
POTENTIAL ENDGAME SPOILER?
WARNING: spoilers below
The cat has an ongoing rivalry with Rocket Raccoon in the comics. My guess is that Carol will find it at SHIELD headquarters while looking for Nick Fury and everyone will think it’s a new cat but she’ll recognize it as Goose (maybe they’ll call it Chewie like in the comics as a way of concealing the fact that it’s over 20 years old.)

TheUsualSuspect 03-11-19 01:39 PM

I wanted to check this out but the wife had doctor appointments at the last minute. Might have to wait a bit.

Also, did not expect it to have such a high OW.

doubledenim 03-11-19 04:37 PM

IknoRite. Didn't expect $150+ mil.

Raven73 03-12-19 08:25 PM

WARNING: "Skrulls" spoilers below
I did like how they gave multiple perspectives on the Skrulls, making them layered rather than just two-dimensional evil monsters.
A handful of Skrulls stayed on Earth at the end of Capt. Marvel ... do we know who they are supposed to be?.

Iroquois 03-13-19 08:12 AM

WARNING: "Skrulls" spoilers below
It was my understanding that that handful of Skrulls wouldn't get to stay on Earth anyway because it would be "too dangerous" for them, which seems a little at odds with the pro-refugee subtext of their characterisation.

Cyberpunk 03-16-19 09:21 AM

8/10

Loved it! Was highly entertain by this movie. Felt very nostalgic about it as well. Not just because of the 90s references, but also because the movie felt like a combination of RoboCop, Terminator 2, and Independence Day all into one.

The movie wasn't as SJWy like the marketing was. There was some but more in the veins of The Silence of the Lambs than Ghostbusters 2016. So while I understand the hate for the marketing, I don't understand why a lot are underwhelmed by the movie itself. Yeah the structure of the movie was a little weird, but have you ever seen a nonlinear film before?

Hopefully, Disney releases this on Blu-ray.

Thursday Next 03-27-19 06:07 PM

Watched Captain Marvel last night and enjoyed it a lot. The 90s details were especially fun - I mean, she spends half the film in a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt, which has got to be worth a popcorn on its own, and the soundtrack was great, like a tour through my 1995 cassette single collection. Lots of the things I was dubious about from the trailer turned out not to be exactly how they seemed. Carol herself was more engaging than expected. I'm undecided on the story, as it was in some ways a different way of doing an origin story, in some ways quite straightforward in an almost retro-sci-fi way. On the whole I think I liked it. The skrull looked a bit like something from the Buffy props department, but again that sort of added to the retro sci-fi feel in a way. Also the cat. The cat was great.

John-Connor 03-28-19 09:23 AM

Saw it in 4dx, 3d, it had elements of gotg, men in black, top gun with a 90's sauce and a cool cat, fun ride..
Movie:

Movie+4DX 3D experience:

Monkeypunch 03-28-19 07:13 PM

I loved it. Loved the 1990's details, loved the humor, the tie ins with Guardians of the Galaxy, the soundtrack, the score,even have a bit of a movie crush on Brie Larson now. :D

I don't see how this is any way political or controversial, it's a superhero/sci-fi movie. People who see more in it than that are just looking to get offended. Captain Marvel is an awesome hero, I look forward to seeing her join the avengers to take on Thanos.

Iroquois 03-29-19 11:15 AM

Look harder, then. Even something as seemingly benign as a superhero movie carries some sort of political context, especially since the genre's very existence can't help but revolve around the concept of vigilante justice and how much it can or should be justified. Captain Marvel is no different when you consider that the political nature of both the characterisation and conflict is what gives the film its resonance (especially considering the twist) yet at the same time makes it inconsistent due to how it is at once critical of a fictional military-industrial complex yet also sponsored by the US Air Force.

NedStark09 03-29-19 11:31 AM

My Concern in building her up is well look at black panther he got snapped in the avengers movie and I just dont want to see them make her loose her powers and cannot hurt Thanos where she will need saving. Just so the new kid cannot hurt Thanos when The Men Avengers could not. I think 3rd act would have been best to use her. Cause I think to appease the Marvel male fans they will depower her to make men fans who didnt like her movie happy. We know she will be somewhere in first act and somewhat fail cause she and Thor are not in no White Suit nor is Banner
She will probably be depowered and use as a distraction with Thor while other do some type of time stuff.

Iroquois 03-29-19 11:40 AM

I don't think they give that much of a sh*t about the angry male fans, especially not when the movie proved a massive success anyway - if anything, they effectively need her to singlehandedly make up for the countless heroes who already got snapped

seanc 03-29-19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2000363)
Look harder, then. Even something as seemingly benign as a superhero movie carries some sort of political context, especially since the genre's very existence can't help but revolve around the concept of vigilante justice and how much it can or should be justified. Captain Marvel is no different when you consider that the political nature of both the characterisation and conflict is what gives the film its resonance (especially considering the twist) yet at the same time makes it inconsistent due to how it is at once critical of a fictional military-industrial complex yet also sponsored by the US Air Force.
Why is that inconsistent? Can you not be critical of something and still be in favor of it? Especially considering this takes place in the 90's. I am sure many military leaders now would be happy we have progressed past where we were 25 years ago.

Iroquois 03-29-19 01:12 PM

You'd think so, but when criticism of the military gets rendered abstract and allegorical through a fantastic race war between blue and green aliens while the real-life military is ultimately treated as a positive basis for the hero's identity (right down to basing her iconic costume's colours on an Air Force-branded T-shirt), it's definitely questionable.

seanc 03-29-19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2000396)
You'd think so, but when criticism of the military gets rendered abstract and allegorical through a fantastic race war between blue and green aliens while the real-life military is ultimately treated as a positive basis for the hero's identity (right down to basing her iconic costume's colours on an Air Force-branded T-shirt), it's definitely questionable.
To you. When you said the politics of super hero movies is seemingly benign, you should have just said they are benign. These films are made to be easily digestible by mass audiences. That strategy seems to be working as they are being ferociously digested by mass audiences. I will be so glad when pop culture stops thinking it is somehow changing the world by being about identity politics. I don't remember people talking this way about Star Wars and Indiana Jones back in the day but maybe I missed it.

Iroquois 03-29-19 01:53 PM

Why should I have said that? Even if they are just trying to be digestible bits of fun, they don't exist in a vacuum. They are pieces of art (even the bad ones) and art reflects the world in which it is made to one extent or another, so it's only fair to analyse the choices that are made in these films and not automatically exempt them from criticism because they're fun and the masses love them.

seanc 03-29-19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2000410)
Why should I have said that? Even if they are just trying to be digestible bits of fun, they don't exist in a vacuum. They are pieces of art (even the bad ones) and art reflects the world in which it is made to one extent or another, so it's only fair to analyse the choices that are made in these films and not automatically exempt them from criticism because they're fun and the masses love them.
Not saying they are exempt from criticism. What I am saying is they can be two things at once and not necessarily be contradictory. I am sure if people were saying this should obviously be a pro military film so they should drop the twist, you would think that was silly. Not every piece of art is created to reinforce your values.

Iroquois 03-31-19 02:09 PM

Those are generalised statements that don't necessarily apply to Captain Marvel, though. I certainly question how much you can argue that the military's improved since the mid-'90s as the film is ostensibly being critical of modern military policy with its main antagonist being a militarised state that ruthlessly seeks to consolidate its power and creates its own enemies in the process, but at the same time they apparently need the Air Force's approval to tell Carol's heroic back-story and don't get much more critical than a bunch of airmen being sexist towards her. You want to say that I'd get annoyed at people saying this should be pro-military, but I'm arguing that it already kind of is and that the inconsistency of the approach is enough for me to question its conviction in its message and therefore its overall worth as a piece of art whether it personally reinforces my worldview or not.

Abhishek Jain 04-01-19 04:44 AM

just four words from my side. BEST MOVIE EVER WATCHED.

Sedai 05-29-19 10:19 AM

I had seen this in theaters when it first hit the streets, and although I enjoyed aspects of the movie, I found it sort of middling overall. I went to see it with a buddy of mine, as my wife had already decided she hated the character, even though she really had no reason to do so beyond her preconceived notions that the film was yet another vehicle for feminist propo. I don't really see it as such, or at least not especially so where it drops anvils on your head. I found Captain Marvel herself to be pretty bad ass, and i liked the use of music, both licensed and OST.

Meanwhile, after seeing Endgame, my wife sort of softened to the character, and mentioned she would watch CM when it hit video. Well, not only did she end up enjoying it (as well feel as feeling like an ass for avoiding the theater showing), but she now claims CM is one of her favorite Marvel characters.

Myself...I enjoyed it more on the second viewing. Larsen's comic delivery doesn't stick the landing some of the time, but i think she plays the character pretty well.

cat_sidhe 05-29-19 10:45 AM

I know I'll end up watching this because boyfriend and i watch every comic book movie that comes out but I have NEVER been so unamped to watch a movie. The (for me) sublime cluster**** of an unlikeable actress playing an unlikeable superhero will be epic in all the wrong ways. :lol:

ynwtf 05-29-19 10:54 AM

I swear I misread the thread topic as Captain Planet and got all excited because yesterday I randomly came across the old Don Cheadle's Captain Planet spoof and wanted to join in the fun here. As I was reading to catch up I just could not, for the life of me, figure out why Iro and Seanc would be in an argument over a Captain Planet live action movie.

Gah. I need coffee.

=\

ynwtf 05-29-19 10:56 AM

Back to Marvel, I went in with low expectation but actually enjoyed it. Glowy-eyed super heroes darting through things should be more common.

*EDIT*
That is, in super hero movies. I don't think they should just be on every street corner or what have you. So that we're clear.

*EDIT*
And by street corners, I don't mean prostitution. Not necessarily.

*EDIT*
NOT to imply anyone standing on a street corner is, by default, a prostitute. NO! Nor a super hero. Let's not judge here, please.

Iroquois 05-29-19 11:54 AM

Now I'm just wondering what OP made of Endgame.

SFMZone 05-29-19 12:07 PM

Just bought this on VUDU, I'm pretty much on the same page as Sedai's comment, "I found it sort of middling overall." I don't think it was bad, and it generally entertains somewhat, it just didn't grab me. A film like Alien pulls you in, you are in that ship shoulder to shoulder with Ripley wondering which dark corner contains the creature. I felt like I was one of the humans Morpheus woke up from the Matrix. Great film can pull you in and you become a ghost character. I never lost my audience identity watching CM.

Fira25 06-03-19 08:22 AM

I think it's a pretty interesting one but people were looking for more.

gandalf26 07-05-19 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2014832)
I had seen this in theaters when it first hit the streets, and although I enjoyed aspects of the movie, I found it sort of middling overall. I went to see it with a buddy of mine, as my wife had already decided she hated the character, even though she really had no reason to do so beyond her preconceived notions that the film was yet another vehicle for feminist propo. I don't really see it as such, or at least not especially so where it drops anvils on your head. I found Captain Marvel herself to be pretty bad ass, and i liked the use of music, both licensed and OST.

Meanwhile, after seeing Endgame, my wife sort of softened to the character, and mentioned she would watch CM when it hit video. Well, not only did she end up enjoying it (as well feel as feeling like an ass for avoiding the theater showing), but she now claims CM is one of her favorite Marvel characters.

Myself...I enjoyed it more on the second viewing. Larsen's comic delivery doesn't stick the landing some of the time, but i think she plays the character pretty well.
Watched it yesterday, similar thoughts to above. Reminded me of Black Panther giving me a bit of a meh feeling. 7/10

Some initial thoughts,

- From a story point of view where has CM been all this time during prev crisis?
- Introducing a mega powerful hero like this just means they have to write in ways to get rid of her for most of the movie, see Endgame, Superman, Charles Xavier.
- She isn't much of a character, just makes snide remarks and gets angry, not enough depth.
- They captured the essence of the mid 90's very well, just as well as the Coen's did the 80's in No Country. Was funny to see and be reminded of slow boot up internet and box monitors.
- She doesn't ever really have much of a challenge to overcome other than getting her memories straight, once she goes full power she just nukes everything in front of her without a scratch, good villains are more important the heroes themselves.

chawhee 07-05-19 08:46 AM

Rewatched this, and I think this is still a good 3/5 stars or so. Brie Larson's attitude and portrayal of the character are still really unique in my eyes, and the humor was great when they went for it.

Yoda 07-25-19 10:33 AM

Rented this last night. It was fine. Not exciting at all, only a few interesting moments. Most of the enjoyment comes from the prequel-y hookups between the things we know and how they come to be.

Kinda weird that she never really seems to face a major challenge. She's basically invincible. That can work, but I think they kinda shortchanged whatever struggle they were trying to convey, because the end should be a huge release, when she finally breaks out and just basically destroys everything at will.

I agree her character is weird. I'm not sure if that's bad! It's just weird. Understated, wry. I think I like the general mood they had for her, but it might have worked better if they gave her more to say, and made it a bit more consistently witty/scathing/dry. Instead it was dryness with a lot of quips that weren't very quiplike. But I did appreciate that it wasn't just a boring archetype, exactly.

MovieBuffering 07-26-19 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by yellowjacket1 (Post 1995415)

This was well put to me. Saw it on very low quality a few months ago. I just can't bring myself to pay money to see a Brie Larsen movie. But to put that aside and be objective you summed up her performance and the movie in a word. Bland.

Brie just doesn't have superhero charisma to me. Which is magnified when the character itself is just as uncharismatic and boring as her. Then you top the character off with why Superman has problems translating to screen, she is invincible. What are her weaknesses? Even Superman has kryptonite. I guess chauvinistic men? :lol: Let's be real they had to send her away to "police" the universe for End Game. She would have beat Thanos with her pinky finger if she was there the whole time. Her kryptonite is attendance. And her being so small in stature just doesn't help me believe she is some Superman like figure. I just think she was miss cast honestly. Maybe she will grow into the role, I just don't see it.

I think you are bit harsh on the movie itself. It's very forgettable. Not some touchstone movie like Brie would like you to think for females, that was Wonder Woman by a mile. I didn't feel shamed for being a male by watching Wonder Woman, I actually felt empowered myself. Thought Patty handled that beautifully. And Gal as Wonder Woman blows Brie's Captain Marvel out of the water imo.

But I wouldn't call it bad, it had entertaining moments. Ant-Man and the Wasp is the MCU's worse movie I hated that movie, which is a shame because I really liked the first one.

hafezmg48 11-15-20 11:36 PM

About the Captain Marvel in MCU

So I just watched the Captain Marvel movie, and I thought I might share my opinion with you about her character in the MCU world.

Actually, I hated Captain Marvel when I first saw her in the Avengers: End Game (I didn't watch the Captain Marvel movie until now). So I searched a little and found out that some other people have the same opinion about that. But I think the main reason is that she is extremely over-powered compared to other avengers and also seems a stranger to fans.

Some people might relate this to sexism, but that is not the case. Because, I can say it for sure that if you would replace the female Captain Marvel with a male one, the public opinion would be the same. Because she was not there from the beginning. People are not used to seeing her. She wasn't even a part of the team (not even an avenger!). And at the beginning of her presence, she starts arguing with and belittling the avengers...

To clarify it, fans are seeing her as a totally random stranger who was not part of the team, didn't suffer with them, was a completely new character, and just turns out to be the most OP person and wants to take all the credits for herself. This is to the point that when watching End-games, I was just thinking that all other avengers are useless! She could have done all of that on her own(except the last part when tony stark snapped). And the only need for avengers comes from the fact that the almighty princess does not have enough time to do little business, because she has lots of other galaxies to save! This seems like the MCU itself is belittling its own avengers in front of Captain Marvel!
Some compare her to Thor and say, why you don't say the same thing when it comes to Thor. Well, the answer is that thor's character is part of the Avengers team. He works with them as a team. He might be very strong physically, but he still needs his friends to succeed and does not corrupt the need for the other unique characters. He also has his own weaknesses that we have seen through the series. So he has his unique position in the group. But that is not the case for Captain Marvel.
I personally think that the MCU world does not have the capacity to hold such an OP character. This type of character is useful in single-hero universes like superman... Also, I realized today that I have no problem watching her being an OP character on her own movie " Captain Marvel". That's because, in her movie, she is a solo character. Her appearance does not corrupt others. The same thing happens with Superman. When you watch superman, you like him being solo. And when you watch another movie, the superman does not exist! But when it comes to adding her up with others she is simply invincible, which makes all other heroes useless.
Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment about your opinion :)

Iroquois 11-16-20 01:39 AM

Re: About the Captain Marvel in MCU

For what it's worth, we do have other threads dedicated to Captain Marvel that can be found by using the search function that can be accessed using the magnifying glass icon at the top of the page.

The whole idea that she has to save other parts of the universe while the Avengers are more or less relegated to Earth makes sense when you consider that films like Ant-Man and Spider-Man: Homecoming acknowledged that their respective crises were not on a grand enough scale to warrant involving the Avengers - there's always a bigger fish, as the saying goes. Doesn't make the threats any less serious. In any case, it's not like she was able to defeat Thanos and his armies singlehandedly either so she isn't exactly infallible or able to do all the heroes' work for them.

hafezmg48 11-16-20 03:46 AM

Im sorry for generating a new thread for this. I tried to delete it, but it seems the threads cannot be deleted. They only can be modified.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2141418)
For what it's worth, we do have other threads dedicated to Captain Marvel that can be found by using the search function that can be accessed using the magnifying glass icon at the top of the page.

The whole idea that she has to save other parts of the universe while the Avengers are more or less relegated to Earth makes sense when you consider that films like Ant-Man and Spider-Man: Homecoming acknowledged that their respective crises were not on a grand enough scale to warrant involving the Avengers - there's always a bigger fish, as the saying goes. Doesn't make the threats any less serious. In any case, it's not like she was able to defeat Thanos and his armies singlehandedly either so she isn't exactly infallible or able to do all the heroes' work for them.

Sedai 11-17-20 09:56 AM

@hafezmg48

I've merged these latest posts in to this thread instead of deleting your thread. Feel free to continue the conversation here.

Thanks!

hafezmg48 11-17-20 01:21 PM

Thanks
Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2141781)
@hafezmg48

I've merged these latest posts in to this thread instead of deleting your thread. Feel free to continue the conversation here.

Thanks!

hafezmg48 11-17-20 01:58 PM

So getting back to our discussion, I completely disagree with that. Because, firstly, the Spiderman is just a kid, and everyone knows he is not a serious hero yet. He is not even a part of Avengers team yet. So it is not embarrassing if his work is not world class. The same goes with the ant man which is a side character in the Avengers. But still, when he is considered to cooperate with the team, his abilities are reconsidered by the storyline, like scaling him to a very huge size to become powerful.
So I'm saying that firstly, they weren't the main characters and not real Avengers, so that people get upset when they see they are not that powerful. Secondly their powers got rescaled to match the team.
But in the Captain Marvel's case, she simply destroyed the portrait that people had in their minds about how Avengers are the most powerful heros of the world, and making them -just as you said- some small heroes in a small scale crisis. And the worst thing is that this happens in a movie named "Avengers ". I mean I wouldn't be that upset if the space ship destroying scenes and those narsistic quotes of Captain Marvel about how her own work is much more important than Avengers had happened in her own movie. But it all happens in the concluding movie of Avengers series.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2141418)

Iroquois 11-17-20 02:39 PM

The point being that a crisis being on a smaller scale does not make it less valid or interesting. I don't think it's narcissistic to acknowledge that the entire universe suffered the snap and Captain Marvel is the only one with the power to fly around checking on every affected world - the whole idea of a team like the Avengers is to acknowledge how their different strengths can cover for each other's weaknesses and that is simply the best use for Captain Marvel under the circumstances. Instead, most of the movie is still about the Avengers pulling off the time heist without her, so her power is mostly irrelevant in the movie anyway (especially when she shows up at the end and the most consequential stuff is still being done by Avenger dudes likes Captain America or Iron Man). As a result, I don't really care if she's that much more powerful than the Avengers because Endgame is still first and foremost a film about the Avengers doing stuff and she spends much of it on the sidelines.

Sedai 11-17-20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by hafezmg48 (Post 2141824)
So getting back to our discussion, I completely disagree with that. Because, firstly, the Spiderman is just a kid, and everyone knows he is not a serious hero yet. He is not even a part of Avengers team yet. So it is not embarrassing if his work is not world class. The same goes with the ant man which is a side character in the Avengers. But still, when he is considered to cooperate with the team, his abilities are reconsidered by the storyline, like scaling him to a very huge size to become powerful.
So I'm saying that firstly, they weren't the main characters and not real Avengers, so that people get upset when they see they are not that powerful. Secondly their powers got rescaled to match the team.
But in the Captain Marvel's case, she simply destroyed the portrait that people had in their minds about how Avengers are the most powerful heros of the world, and making them -just as you said- some small heroes in a small scale crisis. And the worst thing is that this happens in a movie named "Avengers ". I mean I wouldn't be that upset if the space ship destroying scenes and those narsistic quotes of Captain Marvel about how her own work is much more important than Avengers had happened in her own movie. But it all happens in the concluding movie of Avengers series.
I have a couple quibbles with this view.

First, the Avengers are still "The Earth's Mightiest Heroes", as advertised. Captain Marvel is more of a cosmic level power, and doesn't normally reside on the Earth. Her power is more on a level with Thanos or Dark Phoenix.

Think of her as just a sort of scaling up to a wider lens in the universe, with the entire power scale of the heroes on Earth falling somewhere in the middle of the larger scale. With this perspective, it's a little silly to think that the most power heroes on Earth would automatically be the most powerful heroes in the entire universe. But I get the idea that you aren't so much upset that she exists, but that she was introduced into The Avengers Trilogy (or quadrilogy, or whatever you want to call it) specifically.

I do think you have a good point in that she does throw a wrench in the gears when she was injected into the trilogy in the way that she was, serving as almost a Deus Ex Machina foil for Thanos - just when it seems like there is nothing that can stop him, along some this uber-powerful character to tip the scales. But...that's been going on in comics for ages, on both the DC and Marvel side. It's certainly not something new in this instance. I would also point out that in the end, she was sort of a red herring, because:

WARNING: "Avengers : EndGame" spoilers below
She failed to stop Thanos on her own, setting up the scenes where it was in fact Iron Man, and Avenger, that defeats Thanos.

For the record, as an epic set piece, the ship destroying scene is pretty bad ass. Just the type of thing I paid to see in the final movie of the cycle.

hafezmg48 11-17-20 03:43 PM

Thank you for your reply. I was personally satisfied by the latest reply of @Iroquois that he said they worked as a team and working on a smaller scale on earth does not mean that it is less important.

However, about the quote that avengers are mightiest of earth and Captain Marvel is on the universal scale, I still have to argue about that. And I don't mean that it is not true based on the story. Yes, we both accept that she is on the scale of universal titans and simply invincible. But that is the exact thing that will ruin the "Avengers" in their concluding movie. It's just like a header on the top of the movie that says, "you see all these powerful avengers that you used to admire! They are just tiny creatures compared to the universal hero Captain Marvel which you didn't really know much about and is not part of the team". I mean I wouldn't mind it if her character in MCU was introduced after the retirement of the avengers, to avoid an implicit comparison between their strength. I even liked how badass she was in her own movie as a solo hero.

You see, I think the DC has handled this situation much better. When there is Superman, you don't see batman. When there is batman you don't see superman. But when they have a movie together like "Batman vs. Superman" you can actually see that Batman can also beat superman and is not like a tiny useless creature in front of an invincible supreme being.

But, in the end, the fact that you both mentioned that she still had to work as a team and had her piece of the credit, and the fact that work was done mainly by the avengers themselves are satisfying. I guess I might not be that upset about her presence in Avengers: End game anymore.

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2141837)
I have a couple quibbles with this view.

First, the Avengers are still "The Earth's Mightiest Heroes", as advertised...