Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   True Grit (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=3634)

oddjob1957 01-27-03 07:30 PM

True Grit

Can anyone remember the name of the character played by Robert Duvall in "True Grit" ?

www.bygonebitz.funsmart.com

Beale the Rippe 01-27-03 07:55 PM

lets see

Lucky Ned Pepper if memory serves correctly.

Heres a link that might help if you forget something in a movie, like a character name.

http://www.allmovie.com/

This website has come in handy many a time.

iluv2viddyfilms 02-04-03 11:37 PM

yep he's the one that got shot in the lip

www.moviejustice.com please go there

Herod 02-04-03 11:42 PM

Re: lets see

Originally posted by Beale the Rippe
Heres a link that might help if you forget something in a movie, like a character name...
This was the point where you should have linked IMDB.

iluv2viddyfilms 02-04-03 11:57 PM

Duval wasn't even scary, now Bruce Dern in the Cowboys he was scary.

www.moviejustice.com

Beale the Rippe 02-05-03 12:09 AM

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but All Movie Guide is a hundred times better than IMDB.

flickchic 02-20-03 02:32 AM

allmovie.com vs. imdb.com

That's the first time I've ever been to allmovie.com and it's a really cool site. I would recommend it, but I've been visiting imdb.com for years, and it has everything you would want to know about movies.

will.15 09-28-10 10:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522r5E_I3DI&feature=player_embedded#!

christine 09-28-10 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe (Post 73338)
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but All Movie Guide is a hundred times better than IMDB.
absolutely disagree. All Movie Guide is nowhere near as detailed as IMDB

tonto 10-12-10 11:12 AM

Re: True Grit

This is a remake that I am actually looking forward to. The cast looks great and the trailer was excellent.

rufnek 10-12-10 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms (Post 73335)
Duval wasn't even scary, now Bruce Dern in the Cowboys he was scary.

www.moviejustice.com
Bruce Dern is always scary, even when playing a good guy, because he always gives the impression that there's a whole lot of crazy just under the skin waiting to be set free.

Duval, on the other hand, does determined and crafty--he doesn't bother with being scary because he's figuring out how to get around you to get what he wants. Thus in True Grit, when the young man pauses under gunfire to give Ned/Duval the chance to mount the horse behind him and escape, Ned pulls him off the horse and makes his escape alone. Not scarey but very determined, crafty and efficient.

As far as that goes, Billy the Kid was fun-loving and laughed alot and still killed several men, including one he set up beforehand by turning the chamber on the man's own revolver so that his first trigger-pull would fall on an empty chamber, after which Billy cheerfully blew him away.

genesis_pig 10-12-10 02:59 PM

I don't think Duvall was supposed to be scary in that role, I could be wrong.

Earl Gray 10-12-10 09:38 PM

I never thouht of Duall's role of Ned was scary, but Maddie Ross (played by Kim Darby) would've scared the hell out of me!

will.15 10-12-10 09:43 PM

Glen Campbrll's acting was pretty scary. And his character was a perv. Trying to hit on an underage girl.

Earl Gray 10-12-10 09:48 PM

Yeah, but I think that she could've taken care of him with that gun she had, provided she had something to lean in on of course.

PumaMan 10-12-10 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 684752)
Trying to hit on an underage girl.
I've done that many times. Of course, I was also underage at the time. :)

I think the original True Grit was a stinkburger. Maybe the remake will be better . . . .

genesis_pig 10-12-10 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by PumaMan (Post 684758)
I've done that many times. Of course, I was also underage at the time. :)

I think the original True Grit was a stinkburger. Maybe the remake will be better . . . .

I wouldn't keep any hope.. Most might like the new one more, If people can over-praise something average like No Country For Old Men.. They might like the updated version of a classic.

But lets not forget Coens' directed The Ladykillers remake, the mother of all stinks.

Cinema Kaiju 10-15-10 09:50 PM

I don't normally get too excited for remakes but I trust this film in the hands of the Coen brothers. Matt Damon seems a little awkward and out of place but Jeff Bridges looks like he is quite comfortable in the Duke's shoes - eye patch and all. I'll banish the memory of their Ladykillers update for now and just go on looking forward to this one.