Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oscar's Best Actor 2023 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=67535)

Holden Pike 01-24-23 10:14 AM

Oscar's Best Actor 2023

1 Attachment(s)
The five nominees are...

Austin Butler, Elvis
Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Paul Mescal, Aftersun
Bill Nighy, Living

Allaby 01-24-23 10:18 AM

Re: Oscar's Best Actor 2023

I haven't seen The Whale yet, but Fraser would be my prediction.

mojofilter 01-24-23 11:42 AM

Fraser deserves it. Farrell or Butler could steal.

Wyldesyde19 01-24-23 11:54 AM

I Can see Butler winning, especially given Lisa Marie’s recent death. It would be a feel good moment the academy wouldn’t pass up, allowing Butler to not only dedicate it to her father, but his daughter as well.

rauldc14 01-24-23 12:18 PM

Only seen Farrell. Lots of catching up to do.

Harry Lime 01-24-23 12:32 PM

All first time nominees. Neat.

donniedarko 01-24-23 01:02 PM

Haven't seen it, but think it'll be Fraiser

Gideon58 01-24-23 04:12 PM

Only seen two of the nominees...loved Austin Butler, but I gotta go with Colin Ferrell
here...it's his turn. I've heard nothing but amazing things about Fraser. but I haven't been able to find a place to watch The Whale yet.

mrblond 01-24-23 06:22 PM

I miss Ralph Fiennes in The Menu here. He was on the Golden Globes.
Also seen Farrell and Butler. Currently in searching for the Bill Nighy's movie.

Yoda 01-24-23 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by donniedarko (Post 2365418)
Haven't seen it, but think it'll be Fraiser
https://i.imgur.com/m0rAcIi.gif

Gideon58 01-24-23 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2365541)
I miss Ralph Fiennes in The Menu here. He was on the Golden Globes.
Also seen Farrell and Butler. Currently in searching for the Bill Nighy's movie.

Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, I had a secret desire to see Fiennes get nominated for The Menu as well.

mojofilter 01-24-23 08:53 PM

This will be the most competitive category. Butler, Farrell, or Fraser. It would be cool to see Butler win. I like the guy. He's going to be the next big movie star alas Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp...etc. His performance in Elvis was commanding. He also gave a great speech at the Globes. But Fraser's performance in The Whale was quite moving and his speech at the Critics Choice made me tear up and that's something that I don't do when listening to award speeches. Farrell seems like a cool guy but I was just never a fan of him as an actor, and thought his performance in Banshees was kinda bland.

Torgo 01-25-23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2365375)
I Can see Butler winning, especially given Lisa Marie’s recent death. It would be a feel good moment the academy wouldn’t pass up, allowing Butler to not only dedicate it to her father, but his daughter as well.
It could happen, but since Anthony Hopkins won the award over Chadwick Boseman (R.I.P.), it seems like real-life events don't have as much of an influence over the awards that they used to.

I'm rooting for Colin Farrell, partially because it would be nice for a comedic performance to win for a change.

Gideon58 01-25-23 01:53 PM

Even though he deserves the nomination, I really don't see Butler winning because Lisa Marie died. And am I the only one who found nothing comedic about The Banishees of Inisherin?

Holden Pike 01-25-23 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2365775)
And am I the only one who found nothing comedic about The Banshees of Inisherin?
Yes.

Thursday Next 01-25-23 03:28 PM

Paul Mescal was excellent in Aftersun. It's a shame the film as a whole didn't get more nominations.

MovieMad16 01-25-23 03:50 PM

Each nomination is so deserved. Have only seen three of the five (Farrell, Frasier, Mascal). Out of those three, Brendan F should get it, though Colin Farrell winning is possible too.

Gideon58 02-01-23 01:24 PM

Just watched Aftersun, so I have now seen 3 out of the five nominees. Having a really hard time finding somewhere online to watch The Whale if anyone could help me with that, I'd be grateful. Actually, can't find anywhere to watch Living either.

Thursday Next 02-15-23 03:14 PM

Living is the one I still haven't seen, nice for Bill Nighy to get the nod although I think he's a long shot in this category.

Brendan Fraser is good in The Whale. It's not really a good film and he didn't have much to work with in terms of the script but he managed to convey a lot of emotion and character when not speaking. I think he will probably win and would deserve to.

PHOENIX74 02-16-23 04:06 AM

I've seen only three of the five films nominated, but it's the three most people are talking about. I thought it was meant to be Colin Farrell vs Fraser for the Oscar, but I keep hearing people bring Austin Butler up for his Elvis, and all I can think is NO! No no no no no no. That won't do. For starters I don't want the Oscar to automatically go to the person who is impersonating someone in a biopic in whatever year the Oscar is handed out - it happens too often. There's a worse example in the Best Actress category. I didn't think he was better than Farrell or Fraser overall. I think Colin Farrell obviously deserves to win this year, and if he's beaten by Austin Butler I'll have a fit.

I thought Brendan Fraser had that Oscar-bait kind of role in The Whale, but he was also putting everything he had into it, and it's worthy of recognition. But ever since I saw Colin Farrell in The Banshees of Inisherin I thought it was his, and should go to him.

I could change my mind if I see Aftersun or Living - to be fair.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2372342)
Brendan Fraser is good in The Whale. It's not really a good film and he didn't have much to work with in terms of the script but he managed to convey a lot of emotion and character when not speaking. I think he will probably win and would deserve to.
If he won I'd say it was fair, and deserved, and I'm tipping him.

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2365561)
Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, I had a secret desire to see Fiennes get nominated for The Menu as well.
I would have liked to have seen that as well, and I also knew it wasn't going to happen. I think I put him on my MoFo nominees ballot.