Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Handmaid's Tale (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=49325)

CiCi 05-10-17 06:35 PM

The Handmaid's Tale

Anyone catching the new series? I just watched the first episode and it was fabulous, it perfectly captures the tone of Atwood's novel... and it's adaptation couldn't have been timed much better :lol:

Not sure about some of the cast choices, but Elisabeth Moss as Offred is wonderful, so I'll give the others a choice.

Dani8 05-10-17 06:38 PM

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

I havent heard of this new show so not sure if we get it here yet. I read the book years ago.

Camo 05-10-17 06:41 PM

I've been thinking about watching it but i kinda want to read the book first. I read Oryx and Crake last year and liked it.

Stirchley 05-10-17 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1701143)
I havent heard of this new show so not sure if we get it here yet. I read the book years ago.
It's brand new - only on HULU. Think I watched the 5th episode tonight. Really really good. Very dark, frightening & suspenseful, especially from a woman's POV.

Did you happen to see Elizabeth Moss in the NZ show Top of the Lake? Really good & I'm waiting for season 2 on DVD.

Dani8 05-10-17 09:32 PM

I heard top of the lake was really good but haven't seen it yet. I generally only watch 2 shows at a time. 3 Max then I start disconnecting.

Stirchley 05-10-17 09:37 PM

I have to keep iPad notes of which shows I am watching so I don't miss any of the seasons. HOC, for example, starts up again at the end of the month. If I didn't write it down, I would never remember this. Right now, I guess I am only streaming Handmaid & Silicon Valley, but there are TV shows that I only watch when the DVD comes out. Good job I'm retired now. :)

CiCi 05-12-17 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1701144)
I've been thinking about watching it but i kinda want to read the book first. I read Oryx and Crake last year and liked it.
Best book I've ever read. Atwood is one of my favourite writers!

Also, I just found out that Ms Moss is a Scientologist... in a show about resisting extremist religions and patriarchy. Odd :lol:

Camo 05-12-17 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1701919)
Best book I've ever read. Atwood is one of my favourite writers!

Also, I just found out that Ms Moss is a Scientologist... in a show about resisting extremist religions and patriarchy. Odd :lol:
Yah, thought that was weird when i found out what it's about. I love Moss so much. Peggy is my favourite ever female tv character and top 5 overall, and she is amazing in Top of the Lake.

@Stirchley

I watched and posted about Top of the Lake here - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...23#post1650623

I had some problems with it but overall it was very good.

christine 05-12-17 12:44 PM

Elisabeth Moss is a Scientologist? No way, that's not computing :( I love her in Mad Men and in Top of the Lake. I'm disappointed in her life choices now :D

So CiCi are you sure I should watch it? I hold the book in pretty high regard, I was dubious about an adaptation. Not watched the 1990 film either.

Listen Watch Go 05-17-17 09:33 PM

I've been watching this, it's really great. I saw Atwood speak in London last year, she's very interesting. I'm not much of a reader but I think I will give one of her Novels a go.

Swan 05-17-17 10:49 PM

I really want to watch it, but don't know where to.

Saunch 05-18-17 12:06 AM

I'm an episode behind but this is great so far. Chilling and enthralling.

Moss is naturally great and I'm loving Ann Dowd practically twirling mustaches again after The Leftovers.

I'm super curious about Yvonne Strahovski. I hadn't really noticed her as an actress before but she's got a difficult role here and has played up the intensity quite well. There's a great acting showcase in store for her soon. Looking forward to seeing how she plays it.

I'm also super excited to get a weekly show with Reed Morano's visual style.

ScarletLion 05-18-17 05:28 AM

If you like Elisabeth Moss, give "The One I Love" a chance. It's a quirky film that reeled me in and she is evry good in it.

christine 05-18-17 05:46 AM

CiCi - I'm loving it! I think they've managed to update it to our times without losing anything of the intent. Thanks for recommending :)

Originally Posted by Saunch (Post 1704617)

Moss is naturally great and I'm loving Ann Dowd practically twirling mustaches again after The Leftovers.

She's a fantastic baddie, loved her in The Leftovers, can't wait to see series 3

ash_is_the_gal 05-18-17 03:09 PM

wow, this show is amazing so far. i read the book like a million years ago and i think it captures the tone of the book very well.

i'm kind of sick of the flashbacks though. i mean i like the interesting ones, the ones that show the progression, or should i say, decline of our society as we know it, but i'm really bored of the ones of Offred and her then-husband.

the last episode was probably the best one so far - the backstory to the main commander and his wife is really compelling.

Originally Posted by CiCi
Also, I just found out that Ms Moss is a Scientologist... in a show about resisting extremist religions and patriarchy. Odd :laugh:
ha! why are all my favorite actors Scientologists? i love John Travolta, Jenna Elfman, and now Moss? g'lord

Stirchley 05-19-17 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1704594)
I really want to watch it, but don't know where to.
Only HULU has it. Free subscription for a month.

earlsmoviepicks 06-15-17 01:45 PM

Phenomenal series.

Stirchley 06-16-17 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 1719264)
Phenomenal series.
Truly. Just finished season 1 last night. Elisabeth Moss deserves any & all TV awards for this show.

d_chatterley 06-23-17 03:17 PM

I will just chime in with the rest of you and say this really is an amazing show! It rings so true today and I am so glad it is on. There are vast segments of society today of young people that I feel have no idea what oppression looks like or, more importantly, feels like. This show immerses you right in the middle of it so you get to find out in a very visceral way.
Usually there are a few slower episodes or not as interesting storylines on any TV show, but I have been completely glued to the TV each episode. I have not seen a show this captivating for a very long time.
And yes, the acting is superb. I don't think there is one bad performance in there. It's amazing to watch a machine firing on all cylinders. Kudos to everyone involved.

ScarletLion 03-29-18 11:54 AM

I've been catching up on Season 1 as season 2 is just around the corner. Great show.

Here's a bunch of screencaps I made that show how the DoPs use symmetry in the show. It accentuates that feeling that Gilead is a highly authoritarian, controlled, facist, rigid state.

https://i.imgur.com/EhPUy8f.gif