Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Jake Gyllenhaal on cocaine/amphetamines/stimulants during filming of (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=40415)

TheMovies 03-26-15 06:58 AM

Jake Gyllenhaal on cocaine/amphetamines/stimulants during filming of

Jake Gyllenhaal on cocaine/amphetamines/stimulants during the filming of "Nightcrawler".

Tell me he wasn't.

Iroquois 03-26-15 07:23 AM

Re: Jake Gyllenhaal on cocaine/amphetamines/stimulants during filming

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-45966...f-Img-LN7z.gif

Hit Girl 03-26-15 07:40 AM

https://38.media.tumblr.com/0a6de05c...yxp8o1_400.gif

TheMovies 03-26-15 07:56 AM

Come on though... In the film Jake's character wasn't doing cocaine or anything, but just look at Jake's face, his eyes and demeanor in half of his scenes. That's what use looks like. Especially in the first 30 minutes of the movie. Isn't it possible for an actor to do what needs to be done in order to portray a certain type of intensity? I don't judge, if anything I admire the dedication.

Iroquois 03-26-15 08:03 AM

I figured I'd check IMDb's trivia page for Nightcrawler anyway and a lot of Gyllenhaal's quirks in this film seem to be attributed to Method acting techniques like lack of sleep, weight loss and learning not to blink often. Just because he closely resembles a drug user doesn't automatically mean he is one.

TheMovies 03-26-15 08:06 AM

That is plausible, but isn't the use of stimulants considered a method acting technique as well?

I've just seen a lot of movies where "stimulant" use was being portrayed in the movies and most actors weren't that great in accurately portraying it. But with Jake Gyllenhaal's character in Nightcrawler there was no "use" portrayed or written in the movie, but his character accurately portrayed what and how a stimulant user looks and acts like. I've never seen a better portrayal honestly.

MovieMeditation 03-26-15 08:42 AM

That you think he was on drugs only makes him that much better as an actor. It was like when DiCaprio was mistaking for a real mentally handicapped boy in 'What's Eating Gilpert Grape', it's simply great acting.

As Iro said, Gyllenhaal did a lot of method acting as well as lost weight to look like he did. But honestly, I didn't even see a hint of a drug user in his peformance, I think it would ruin it rather than make it better if he ever did do that. He wouldn't be able to focus, and a lot of the symptons you get would present themselves much clearer...

TheMovies 03-26-15 09:00 AM

Wasn't it written in the script that DiCaprio's character is a mentally handicapped boy?

But with Gyllenhaal's character in Nightcrawler it wasn't written anywhere in the script that his character is a "user".

I personally don't think "using" would ruin anything. It would be considered a method acting technique. Also, with stimulants you're able to focus much better than somebody who isn't on stimulants. There are symptoms clearly present in the movie.

Swim who partied a few times back in the day would like to add that he hates to say it, but it takes one to know one. Swim will leave it at that.

MovieMeditation 03-26-15 09:30 AM

I'm sorry, I can't take you and your replies seriously anymore... "was it written in the script" lol, you take it as your assumption of his character being a user is true. Do you see him use in the film? No.

This thread is stupid, and the fact that you insist an actor was on drugs because he "acted like it in your opinion" is just dumb. Unless we get some evidence, this might as well end here, since you could point out thousands of peformances and accuse them of drugs, alchohol or whatever you want...

Iroquois 03-26-15 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovies (Post 1276145)
Wasn't it written in the script that DiCaprio's character is a mentally handicapped boy?
Exactly, DiCaprio was just that good at acting mentally disabled.

But with Gyllenhaal's character in Nightcrawler it wasn't written anywhere in the script that his character is a "user".
Nor is there any such implication in the film beyond him having a gaunt and sickly appearance, which could be for multiple other reasons. Short of Lou actually being seen using or having equipment or even mentioning it in passing, any assumption that the character (let alone the actor) was a user is simply an interpretation that can't be proved or disproved.

I personally don't think "using" would ruin anything. It would be considered a method acting technique. Also, with stimulants you're able to focus much better than somebody who isn't on stimulants. There are symptoms clearly present in the movie.
Being involved with drugs to a significant enough degree that it would be visible in a finished film would probably constitute more of a health risk than simply doing more exercise or sleeping less. I can't speak one way or the other as to how stimulants would make one's acting more effective (or even whether they were part of Gyllenhaal's self-imposed sleeplessness) but I don't automatically assume that his appearance is that of a drug user.

TheMovies 03-26-15 09:38 AM

No his character was never mentioned as being a "user". It's the actor who appears to be "under the influence" while playing the character.

TheMovies 03-26-15 09:41 AM

This is just intrigue and discussion, not a court case.

Iroquois 03-26-15 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovies (Post 1276159)
This is just intrigue and discussion, not a court case.
Yes, this is a discussion, which is why everyone is mentioning their own specific viewpoint and backing their views up with specific reasons. That's what happens in discussions.

TheMovies 03-26-15 09:57 AM

Precisely. The mere thought of bringing up evidence or proof in this regard is comical.

Yoda 03-26-15 10:00 AM

He's not really acting like a drug user in the film. He's way too clear-headed for that. He is cold, calculating, and strategic throughout. He isn't twitchy or sloppy or falling apart or any of the other things a drug user would be.

There are a few aspects of the character that bear a passing resemblance to an addict, and that enhances the character a lot, but it's really just around the margins, I think.

Captain Spaulding 03-26-15 10:09 AM

http://byt.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/w...2i8mo1_500.gif

Gatsby 03-26-15 10:12 AM

Gyllenhaal is definitely not on drugs but these two are. :mnight: :cage:

In seriousness, Iroquois' GIF pretty much sums it up.

TheMovies 03-26-15 10:16 AM

The actor is not acting like a drug user in the film, the actor just seems to be under the influence. Perhaps if he is, he most probably did it to help intensify the character.

Stimulant use doesn't impair or cloud your focusing ability, it highly enhances that. Using stimulants like cocaine or amphetamines make you focus like no other. Imagine what steroids does to your body for muscle and strength, that's sort of what cocaine/stimulants do to your brain. It enhances your focus. Under the influence of stimulants makes you focused, alert, intense, confident, sharp and "on one".

Being twitchy/falling apart/sloppy would be symptoms of over use/abuse. Being sloppy isn't really related to stimulant use. Being sloppy would be more related to being too drunk or too stoned from marijuana smoking.

In the film Jake appears to be very alert, intense, focused, sharp, confident, "on one", skinny, bug eyed, hollow faced, and has shiny skin and dark rings around the eyes. All are symptoms of stimulant use.

Captain Spaulding 03-26-15 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1276169)
Gyllenhaal is definitely not on drugs but these two are. :mnight: :cage:
I think you forgot a couple . . .

:willem::busey:

Iroquois 03-26-15 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovies (Post 1276163)
Precisely. The mere thought of bringing up evidence or proof in this regard is comical.
Seeing as you're the one who brought up stimulant use in the first place, the burden of proof would most likely rest on you in the first place.