Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Subtitles or Dubbing? - A POLL (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=46843)

TONGO 09-24-16 01:31 PM

Subtitles or Dubbing? - A POLL

Which do you prefer?

For me, its subtitles. Dubbing is hilarious its so bad, and the voice inflection by the professional actor is substituted for some student fresh out of their college level English language class.

Camo 09-24-16 01:34 PM

Re: Subtitles or Dubbing? - A POLL

Subtitles for everything with one exception. DragonBall Z. Don't watch the show anymore but if i did it'd be dubbed because Vegeta and Friezas voices are just the best thing ever. Most dubs are terrible though and can completely ruin what i'm watching.

TONGO 09-24-16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1583589)
Subtitles for everything with one exception. DragonBall Z. Don't watch the show anymore but if i did it'd be dubbed because Vegeta and Friezas voices are just the best thing ever. Most dubs are terrible though and can completely ruin what i'm watching.
lol! Yeah there are instances where dubbing is better just for the overall hilarity.

cricket 09-24-16 01:37 PM

Subtitles unless it's an old Kung fu flick

Camo 09-24-16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1583593)
Subtitles unless it's an old Kung fu flick
Yeah those can be great. I remember when i was a kid i bought a dvd ridiculously cheap like 75 pence or something from a supermarket it had a purple case and was four different 70s i think very bad kung fu movies and the dubbing was hilarious.Must have watched all of them about 10 times each with friends, and i don't remember a thing about them.

SeeingisBelieving 09-24-16 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1583586)
Which do you prefer?

For me, its subtitles. Dubbing is hilarious its so bad, and the voice inflection by the professional actor is substituted for some student fresh out of their college level English language class.
Subtitles – I can't stand dubbing. I'm the opposite of that old woman in Father Ted who asks whether the film has subtitles and when told yes says "Jesus" and shuffles away.

A recent example was seeing Mads Mikkelsen in The Door – a German film where he's the only actor dubbed in German. Knowing him pretty well it was a struggle to see him without his own voice, which of course he will have in the Danish release.

Clazor 09-24-16 01:55 PM

Sub for me as well. I found it so awkward to go back to dubs of disney movies when I reached the age where I could understand the orignal english. Some anime I watch are likewise hilarious as in Camo's example with the old kung-fu movies, but some outstrip the original. I'd say I'm 97 % sub, 3% dub.

TONGO 09-24-16 01:57 PM

Thankfully I saw The Seven Samurai in subtitles. I couldnt fathom what destruction the dubbed version would do to it.

Guaporense 09-24-16 02:10 PM

The problem is that English language dubbs are usually really bad. Portuguese language dubbs are a bit better but they are still inferior to the original language.

Camo 09-24-16 02:16 PM

This'll be the one guy that decides he prefers dubs. hate that i have to put this in two clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8GjR308yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC-FFCbd3_k

Yoda 09-24-16 02:25 PM

If I have to pick one forever, it's subtitles. But there are exceptions. The dubbing in Oldboy is great. Not just in that it isn't bad in the way dubbing usually is, but in that it has a dry, montone quality that actually enhances a lot of the line readings.

TheUsualSuspect 09-24-16 02:29 PM

If it's anime, I prefer dubbing.

If it's live action, I prefer subtitles.

The Gunslinger45 09-24-16 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 1583619)
If it's anime, I prefer dubbing.

If it's live action, I prefer subtitles.
This. Though the anime one does have exceptions. I insist on watching the original Dragonball with the subtitles and all the Miyizaki movies I have seen have been with the subtitles as well. Every other anime movie or series I have watched has been with the dub.

Mr Minio 09-24-16 02:38 PM

Subtitles all the way!

matt72582 09-24-16 03:03 PM

Subtitles.. I like to learn a few words.

Raven73 09-24-16 08:02 PM

Subtitles except for spaghetti westerns and this scene from Police Academy 2:
https://youtu.be/jSBdBKIGFpo

The Rodent 09-24-16 08:15 PM

If I was still 13 years old I'd say dubbing... but I went with Subtitles.

Because I'm intelligent.

Judging by the Poll results above ^^ I have hope for MoFos.

The Rodent 09-24-16 08:18 PM

Actually, I've mentioned this before about Dubbing...

You guys ever watched a movie on DVD/BR and had another language activated?
Ghostbusters in German is awesome.

matt72582 09-24-16 08:39 PM

The only positive thing about dubbing is being able to see the complete expressions on the face instead of looking at the subtitles, even if it is only for a few seconds.

TONGO 09-24-16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1583748)
The only positive thing about dubbing is being able to see the complete expressions on the face instead of looking at the subtitles, even if it is only for a few seconds.
No comparison to the loss of voice inflection though. You know who probably utterly despised those old kung fu movies? The actors! It was probably killing them hearing some kentucky fried westerners voice saying their lines :laugh: