Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ShadowMatt's Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=44369)

ShadowMatt 01-27-16 08:57 PM

ShadowMatt's Reviews

One of the admins recommended I start a thread with my reviews. This will be very long as the year goes on. I see and review all of the movies. Enjoy! :p

ShadowMatt 01-27-16 09:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The 5th Wave (2016)

http://filmbymatt.com/wp-content/upl...ed-601x300.jpg

Summary
Great for teenagers. Not so much for adults. It’s better than the Divergent series, so it has that going for it. A decent action movie. I’m just the wrong demographic.

Was it any good?
I had an alright time. Again, I think some things were lost on me because of my age/gender.

Who was in it?
Chloë Grace Moretz, Matthew Zuk, Liev Schreiber, Zackary Arthur, Ron Livingston, and Gabriela Lopez

Should I see it on the big screen or should I wait to rent it?

You could rent it.

Should I see it one of the premium formats?
I am controlling your mind. You will see this in a standard format.

http://filmbymatt.com/wp-content/upl...ve_article.jpg

Review
The trailers made it look like a movie I would like to see. A post-apocalypse action film. Cool! Like Terminator or Independence Day, right? Why are they showing that one girl so much? I want to know what’s happening with the adults. Why are we back with the girl? No, it’s a teenage thriller!

All right. Advanced aliens show up and try to get rid of humanity so they can have the Earth. They send “wave” after wave of attacks against us. The first wave is an EMP pulse which knocks out all of our electronics. It also knocks out running water, to which I say, “Waaa?” In most cases, your running water will work in most cases during a power outage. But I punched myself in the head until I could accept that and kept watching. It was disturbing to watch a plane slowly tilt in the sky before falling to the ground.

The second wave brings a literal wave. Earthquakes (unshown) cause tsunami waves on all coastal areas. The main character says they only survive because of their lake (instead of the ocean). Can a lake have a tsunami? A Google search confirmed that it can happen. All right, movie. You got me that time, but I’ve got my eye on you.

The third wave is disease in birds that crosses over to, and kills most of, humanity. I had visions of the television show The Last Ship on this one.

The 4th and 5th waves are a bit more muddy. By the end of the movie, you’ve figured out the 5th–being the whole point of the movie. What exactly was the 4th. Well, I looked it up online, but it’s not entirely clear. Is now the 4th? Now? How about now? I guess the first three waves were so dramatic. The 4th wave is less so. I guess they didn’t want to name the movie The Fourfifths Wave.

And then there’s the teenage girl love-triangle. I guess every teenage girl longs to be loved by two men. One is not enough. Neither should there be four. Five is straight out.

And then the character has “thank you” sex? Really? Has this generation devalued sex to the same level as a handshake? I suppose the sex is only implied and not shown. They could have lowered themselves off-screen for a snuggle. That was probably it.

Whoa. She’s what, 16? The leading man looks a healthy 25. Ages on either side aren’t defined. I’m sure they were only snuggling.

The whole time I was thinking, “What about the man of her dreams that she is a scene away from meeting?! Can’t she wait just a little longer?!” But that is the teenage angst getting to me. Maybe you’re supposed to feel this way (if you’re a teenage girl).

I don’t want to drop any spoilers on you. I’ll just say the ending left much for me to desire. The entire thing was very “Meh” for me.

The movie as a whole was like watching survivalists tromping through a forest. Occasionally, Dick Cheney shoots at them. The movie has a few, “What?” moments and a few, “Why not?” Moments. Those may or may not be intended.

Yes, if you’re a teenage girl. No, if you’re not. Hey, it’s better than Divergent. That’s pretty high praise.

Can I take my kids?
For the most part, yes. Language is light and there’s no nudity. There’s some yellow lights, though. Two characters talk about sex like a handshake. Two characters have sex like a handshake (implied). There is a high school party with a lot of beer being consumed.

PG-13 | 1h 52min | Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Teenage | 22 January 2016 (USA)

http://filmbymatt.com/wp-content/upl...ave_poster.jpg

Stormdust 01-28-16 05:44 AM

Re: ShadowMatt's Reviews

Contender for Hunger Games?

Optimus 01-28-16 06:32 AM

Add some pics to your reviews and they will gather more attention.

ShadowMatt 01-28-16 10:50 PM

Contender for Hunger Games?
I think the Hunger Games movies are better, so this is between Divergent and The Hunger Games in quality.

Add some pics to your reviews and they will gather more attention.
I would like to post pictures with my reviews. Really! The site doesn't let you post pictures until your reputation is at least 25. I think that's a little high. You could probably set it as low as +5 and get rid of the spammers. Hey! I'm almost there. Gimme some likes! I need THREE more and I can start putting images in my reviews!

gbgoodies 01-28-16 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowMatt (Post 1448772)
I would like to post pictures with my reviews. Really! The site doesn't let you post pictures until your reputation is at least 25. I think that's a little high. You could probably set it as low as +5 and get rid of the spammers. Hey! I'm almost there. Gimme some likes! I need THREE more and I can start putting images in my reviews!

I think you need 25 posts to post pictures, not 25 reps. Your profile shows that your last post was #23, so you should be able to post pictures after 2 more posts.

ShadowMatt 01-28-16 10:55 PM

Room (2016)

http://filmbymatt.com/wp-content/upl...ed-640x300.jpg

Summary
A great film with a very powerful performance by child star Jacob Tremblay. You see the world for the wonder that it is through his eyes. Wonderful film.

Was it any good?
Yes, it was very good. You see everything in wonder through the eyes of the youngest star. Parts are horrible, but there is beauty on the other side of the wall.

Who was in it?
Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay, and Sean Bridgers

Should I see it on the big screen or should I wait to rent it?
See it in theaters, if you can. The wonder is best seen on the big screen.

Should I see it one of the premium formats?
Standard format is fine.

http://filmbymatt.com/wp-content/upl...om_article.jpg

Review
All I can say is, “Wow.” The best movies to me are the ones that make you sit and think afterwards. A good action/adventure movie is good, but a really good drama can really hit you.

A girl is kidnapped at 17 and forced to live in a locked garden shed. Now it’s 7 years later and she has a boy (played by Jacob) who just turned 5. To ease his life, she has led him to believe that their “room” is all that there is to the world and reality.

They do eventually get out. That’s not a spoiler, because the trailers and even the movie description says so. Don’t worry, that’s not ruining the ending. Though exciting and suspenseful, it’s not the end of the movie. Imagine writing a review for The Great Escape without dropping the bombshell that the prisoners escape at some point. Spoiler Alert.

The best part of the movie is in the acting, particularly the young Jack (played by Jacob). You see a full range of emotions in him that would be expected on an older actor, yet at the same time he is innocent, as a boy should be. You see fear, anger, and best of all wonder. You can see when he’s trying to puzzle out an idea. You feel triumphant with him at times. The movie makes you want to cheer out loud at parts. There were even some scenes were I wondered if the young Jacob would be able to pull off the needed performance. He does, and quite well.

And then you can feel the tragedy in the whole situation. Young Jacob isn’t the only top-notch actor here. The mother and the entire supporting cast are quite good. The movie shows wonder when it needs to show wonder and it shows pain when it needs to hurt.

The cinematography is wonderful. Most scenes are shot from the young Jack’s view, sometimes too close, off-angle, or slightly out-of-focus. Here it adds to the emotions that Jack is showing.

I don’t know about a “feel good” movie, but it is certainly a “feel” movie.

Can I take my kids?
Some themes would be rough for kids. There is some suspense, the boy and his Mom are in peril most of the time. Their “prison guard” is menacing. Even the idea that this kind of danger “actually exists” might not be a message you want your kids to see. I mean, it does, but maybe you want to find out about that as an adult. Language is medium. There is no nudity, but sex does happen. There’s the whole question of “Where did Jack come from?” to answer. I’d leave the kids with a sitter for this one.

R | 1h 58min | Drama | 22 January 2016 (USA)

http://filmbymatt.com/wp-content/upl...oom_poster.jpg

Citizen Rules 01-28-16 10:55 PM

Nice Review thread Shadow. Once you get 25 post you can go back and edit your reviews and insert the photos. Oh it's customary for us to put the year after the movie title. But it's your thread so that's just a suggestion.:p

ShadowMatt 01-28-16 10:58 PM

I think you need 25 posts to post pictures, not 25 reps. Your profile shows that your last post was #23, so you should be able to post pictures after 2 more posts.
Yeah, I just saw it was 25 posts rather than 25 reputation. So I guess I have no one to blame other than myself. Do replies count as "posts" or do they need to be 25 threads?

I'm off to leave some more replies!

gbgoodies 01-28-16 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowMatt (Post 1448776)
Yeah, I just saw it was 25 posts rather than 25 reputation. So I guess I have no one to blame other than myself. Do replies count as "posts" or do they need to be 25 threads?

I'm off to leave some more replies!

Replies are posts. Threads are when you start a new topic, instead of replying to an existing topic.

Citizen Rules 01-28-16 11:02 PM

You did it! You now have 25 post and should be able to insert photos. You can hot link them or use an attachment.

ShadowMatt 01-28-16 11:05 PM

Nice Review thread Shadow. Once you get 25 post you can go back and edit your reviews and insert the photos. Oh it's customary for us to put the year after the movie title. But it's your thread so that's just a suggestion.
I like knowing the rules. I'll totally start adding the year. And thank you all for guiding me in the right direction instead of responding in flame :)

Tomorrow's review will include images (I should be at 25 now).

ShadowMatt 01-28-16 11:06 PM

You did it! You now have 25 post and should be able to insert photos. You can hot link them or use an attachment.
So, I went to edit my post and it is prompting me to delete it? Is it not working right?

gbgoodies 01-28-16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowMatt (Post 1448785)
So, I went to edit my post and it is prompting me to delete it? Is it not working right?

When you go to the edit screen, scroll down. The top section is a delete option, but the edit box is below that.

Citizen Rules 01-28-16 11:09 PM

And thank you all for guiding me in the right direction instead of responding in flame http://www.movieforums.com/community...EiJbDG0cFJQQA7
This is a friendly site:) We like new members! And get along mostly pretty well. I have you thread 'subscribed' too. You do that at the top right of the page, click tools, click subscribe, then click OK.

Then when you click your User CP link, you can quickly see if there are any new replies to the threads that you subscribe too (same as following).

mark f 01-28-16 11:09 PM

Skip that.

Citizen Rules 01-28-16 11:11 PM

Hmmm? Skip subscribing to threads you like?

I must have over 70 that I subscribe to.

gbgoodies 01-28-16 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1448791)
Hmmm? Skip subscribing to threads you like?

I must have over 70 that I subscribe to.

I think he meant to skip the delete section on the edit screen.

Citizen Rules 01-28-16 11:18 PM

Ahhh, that makes sense, thanks.

ShadowMatt 01-28-16 11:19 PM

Goooooooal!

Silly me for not scrolling down. Images are a GO for reviews. Fun fun fun :)

And now I know how to subscribe to threads! Thanks again!