Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Documentaries (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=54401)

GulfportDoc 06-07-18 11:58 AM

Documentaries

Yoda, I'm wondering if there would be enough interest in a separate documentaries forum? Documentaries are not as popular as movies, or TV. But yet people who do enjoy them are always looking for good ones.

Do you think a separate Documentary forum would fly?

Thanks,
~Doc

Yoda 06-07-18 12:02 PM

Re: Documentaries

I don't think it would have enough activity. There are a handful of good threads on them, however. They tend to get bumped every so often since the same ones come up when people search.

Citizen Rules 06-07-18 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 1908488)
Yoda, I'm wondering if there would be enough interest in a separate documentaries forum? Documentaries are not as popular as movies, or TV. But yet people who do enjoy them are always looking for good ones.

Do you think a separate Documentary forum would fly?

Thanks,
~Doc
Doc, we had a documentary Hall of Fame once, very rewarding as they're was a lot of neat docs nominated and some good conversation was had. Here's a link:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=43005

Also if you click Lists at the top of a MoFo page, you can see the MoFo Top 100 Documentaries list as put together by us MoFos in a countdown hosted by Holden Pike.

GulfportDoc 06-07-18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1908490)
I don't think it would have enough activity. There are a handful of good threads on them, however. They tend to get bumped every so often since the same ones come up when people search.
You're probably right. Unless folks have access to streaming channels, or possibly a good library, then they're hard to acquire for viewing. Oftentimes YouTube has copies of many of them.

~Doc

GulfportDoc 06-07-18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1908509)
Doc, we had a documentary Hall of Fame once, very rewarding as they're was a lot of neat docs nominated and some good conversation was had. Here's a link:

Also if you click Lists at the top of a MoFo page, you can see the MoFo Top 100 Documentaries list as put together by us MoFos in a countdown hosted by Holden Pike.
Thanks for the tips, CR. I'll investigate the sources you provided. Cheers.

~Doc

GulfportDoc 06-09-18 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1908509)

Enjoyed the doc hall of fame thread, although there were basically only 12 or so docs listed.

I couldn't find the MF top Docs list under the Lists menu. Do you know where it's tucked away?

BTW your new avatar of Welles' Macbeth looks a little like Burt Lancaster..;)

~Doc

Citizen Rules 06-09-18 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 1909210)
Enjoyed the doc hall of fame thread, although there were basically only 12 or so docs listed.

I couldn't find the MF top Docs list under the Lists menu. Do you know where it's tucked away?

BTW your new avatar of Welles' Macbeth looks a little like Burt Lancaster..;)

~Doc
Doc, there were only 12 documentaries in this particular Hall of Fame, as each member who joined got to nominate 1 documentary. The 12 members then watch all 12 of the nominated films. Then we vote on them. The winner of the HOF is then inducted into the MoFo Hall of Fame, located here Hall of Fame Archives curated by yours truly:p

To find the Documentary list:

Click List at top of any MoFo page
Then, scroll down and click View/Manage Your List

It's called Movie Forums: Top 100 Documentaries
---------------------

Or just click your Profile and there's a link there to List

GulfportDoc 06-09-18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1909218)

---------------------

Found it, CR. Thank-you. I think that there are a higher percentage of good docs than there are feature films.

~Doc

Albertus2020 01-16-20 09:01 AM

It's nice to be here. I love documentaries

Stirchley 02-14-20 01:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Zero interest in pop music, but I enjoyed this Amazon Original documentary. That is, once I figured out which Jonas is which. Documentary focuses too much on rich young men’s problems, but it is what it is.

Everyone has heard of Lorena & John Babbitt. Very interesting Amazon Original 4-part documentary. Lorena wasn’t at all what I expected. For one thing I had no idea she’s South American (Ecuador). Very slight in appearance & extremely soft-spoken. John seemed then & now to be an extreme dick even though his own was MIA for a while. Both flawed people, both had or continue to have run-ins with the law. His predilection for spousal rape & rough sex led to all his troubles. She seems to be happy now with a nice husband & child & I’m glad for her.

Wyldesyde19 02-14-20 10:31 PM

I started watching Documentaries more often a year ago, and Life Itself, about Roger Ebert, was probably the best movie of 2014.

Other great Docs that I have seen include:
Hoop Dreams
genocide
Waco: The Rules of Engagement
4 Little Girls
Life Animated
The Invisible War
Hollywood on Trial
Grizzly Man

matt72582 02-15-20 09:14 AM

I love documentaries and maybe someone can start a poll to gauge interest?>

GulfportDoc 02-15-20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1909218)

---------------------

I went back to check the list, and was able to select a few for viewing.

Here are several docs that I've enjoyed in the past couple of years, in no particular order:

Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words (2015)

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (2018)

Jodorowski's Dune (2013)

Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018)

Bill Cunningham: New York (2010)

The World Before Your Feet (2018)

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (2019)

The 24 Hour War (2016)

Citizenfour (2014)

Citizen Rules 02-15-20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2066117)
I went back to check the list, and was able to select a few for viewing.

Here are several docs that I've enjoyed in the past couple of years, in no particular order:

Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words (2015)

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (2018)

Jodorowski's Dune (2013)

Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016)

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (2018)

Bill Cunningham: New York (2010)

The World Before Your Feet (2018)

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (2019)

The 24 Hour War (2016)

Citizenfour (2014)
I've seen Jodorowski's Dune (2013) that was pretty cool, I reviewed it here at MoFo too.

matt72582 02-15-20 05:30 PM

-Place de la Republique
-Chronicles of a Summer
-Seven-Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRiE-HJFREA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxk-fg771r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugw7hUoJ0C0

GulfportDoc 02-15-20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2066149)
I've seen Jodorowski's Dune (2013) that was pretty cool, I reviewed it here at MoFo too.
I think you might enjoy them all. But the Dawson City and the Bergman docs might interest you most.

Stirchley 02-17-20 01:34 PM

Addicted to 7UP, etc. I have the latest one in my pile of DVDs to watch. Amazing series.

You guys should watch American Factory, which, IIRC, just won an Oscar for best documentary.

Stirchley 02-17-20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2066061)
I love documentaries and maybe someone can start a poll to gauge interest?>
Me too. Was gonna start a poll & can’t remember how to start a poll.

GulfportDoc 02-20-20 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2066487)
Me too. Was gonna start a poll & can’t remember how to start a poll.
That sounds like a good idea. It would give us an indication of who might support discussion of documentaries, or their favorite documentary films.

GulfportDoc 02-20-20 05:37 PM

Watched the Dorothy Kilgallen: The Reporter Who Knew Too Much video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYDaqto22NY

Shaw has really done his research, and I'll be looking forward to reading his recent book on the Kilgallen/Ruby/Oswald JFK assassination subjet, Denial of Justice.

Shaw's main focus of interest is on Kilgallen's disclosures regarding Jack Ruby, and his real reasons for shooting Oswald. Shaw is not an expert on the general subject of the JFK assassination, but his research into the subject of Kilgallen/Ruby/Oswald goes to show that there was definitely a plot to Kill Kennedy, and that the book which Kilgallen was writing for publication by Random House, following several interviews with Ruby, would have provided shocking disclosures that could not have been left without public awareness and further investigation. He concludes that this was the reason for her murder.

The lecture itself is about 75 minutes, with the remaining time devoted to questions and answers. Powerful stuff.

Hopefully the film based on Shaw's research being developed by the Dowdle Brothers (No Escape; Waco) will refresh the public's interest in the most important crime of the 20th Century and its subsequent coverup. Reported working title Kilgallen, it will be either a feature film or cable presentation.

~Doc

Stirchley 03-02-20 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Powerful documentary. The woman pictured with Sama her baby is a photojournalist who filmed her life during the siege of Aleppo, Syria at great risk to their lives. Her husband was chief of staff at practically the only hospital left standing. The way these people live is utterly tragic yet somehow they maintain a black sense of humor. This was filmed in 2016 & conditions have gotten even worse for Syrians.

Stirchley 03-02-20 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Another powerful documentary. I knew about this one-child policy that lasted for 30 years, but had no idea it involved inductions, abortions, forced sterilization, infanticide on a huge scale (if the baby was female), abductions, corrupt orphanages, huge fines if a family broke the rule, and other deplorable practices.

Stirchley 03-04-20 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

3-parter about Gloriavale, a Christian community in New Zealand of Christian Fundamentalists. All women are subjective to men (:eek:) & the men totally rule. No contraception & censorship of books, movies, minimum access to the internet, etc., etc. Sounds rather awful, but they seem genuinely very happy. Whatever they need they grow or manufacture & are completely self-sufficient. They are involved in several businesses & even discussed the purchase - for 1,000,000 New Zealand dollars - of a rig to dig for oil.

Very interesting documentary.

Stirchley 03-06-20 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

63 Up so good. Been watching this for 9 years now ever since 7 Up. Next time will be 71 Up. Yikes.

Wyldesyde19 03-06-20 03:56 PM

I need to get back into documentaries this week.
Have a bunch saved on Amazon I need to knock off

Stirchley 03-11-20 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

A very long overdue documentary of these 4 Holocaust survivors. Very interesting & very good.

Stirchley 03-18-20 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Loved this 3-parter from the BBC. Magnificent place.

Have any of my fellow Brits here visited Chatsworth? I have not.

Stirchley 03-23-20 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Delightful. Loved it.

honeykid 03-23-20 05:40 PM

It's a TV series rather than a feature @Stirchley but have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei1G...P7XbjKxO-wWhPG

I think you'll love it.

Stirchley 03-23-20 05:59 PM

⬆️ Oh, I know this woman & I do recall that she has this show now. (Can’t remember her first name.) She was in the mindless, but hugely entertaining, Ladies of London & she’s married to a guy who’s gonna inherit a huge pile one day.

Did you see my post above about Chatsworth? I have all the books related to the home & I watched the documentary twice.

Stirchley 04-03-20 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Very interesting. Two brothers who didn’t know the other existed find each other after 60+ years. And then discover there is a third brother.

Stirchley 04-13-20 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

No clue why Taylor Swift made this documentary. Moderately interesting, but she’s - shall we say - somewhat vapid?

Stirchley 04-15-20 02:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Very interesting documentary about principal dancer Wendy Whelan’s retirement from the New York City Ballet. Really good.

Re-watch. Formula One racing is not so well-known here as it is in Europe. Fascinating documentary of this Brazilian champion who was ultimately killed on the track.

Stirchley 04-27-20 02:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Very interesting. About a bird hoarder in upstate New York, but, ultimately, about a marriage.

Made a few years ago & so very interesting. It’s free on Kino Lorber for a few more days, I think.

MovieMad16 04-27-20 04:16 PM

The Taylor Swift documentary I just don't trust at all - This biographic documentaries seem to easy to manipulate and stage, and therefore lacks any sense of authenticity at all.

RE on Senna: Brilliant documentary. So powerful and intense. The documentary filmmaker has made a bunch and Amy is his best, and just one of the most moving pieces of film I've seen in a long time.

rauldc14 04-27-20 06:07 PM

I liked Senna too

matt72582 04-27-20 06:44 PM

Does anyone know of any good documentaries on Concast?

Stirchley 04-27-20 07:16 PM

⬆️ Comcast?

honeykid 04-29-20 08:53 AM

@rauldc14@MovieMad16;Have you seen Maradona? Also made by Asif Kapadia, who made Amy and Senna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmm7r4ynyIQ

It's another amazing documentary. Apparently there was so much footage that he had to use that there's a huge version (I can't remember exactly how much but something like 9 hour) version.

rauldc14 04-29-20 09:01 AM

Haven't seen it HK

matt72582 04-29-20 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 2086649)
@rauldc14@MovieMad16;Have you seen Maradona? Also made by Asif Kapadia, who made Amy and Senna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmm7r4ynyIQ

It's another amazing documentary. Apparently there was so much footage that he had to use that there's a huge version (I can't remember exactly how much but something like 9 hour) version.
This was great.

Stirchley 04-29-20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 2086649)
Have you seen Maradona? Also made by Asif Kapadia, who made Amy and Senna.
It’s in my Netflix Q someplace.

Wyldesyde19 05-07-20 03:11 PM

If you guys haven’t seen it yet, I really suggest Genocide (1981). It’s a bleak but honest documentary about the Holocaust that explains how it was able to happen without pointing fingers directly at everyone, yet making sure we understood.
It won the Oscar for that category, and I decided to nominate it in our HOF we’re doing. Give a watch. I’ll be reviewing it again shortly myself.
It’s narrated by Orson Welles and Liz Taylor, and includes personal accounts from survivors. Currently available on Prime.

Stirchley 05-11-20 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

A Frederick Wiseman documentary. Some of his work I enjoy more than others.

I did finish this, but some parts were excruciatingly boring.

Stirchley 05-13-20 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Matt Green walked every street of each of the 5 boroughs of New York City plus beaches, parks, etc. 8,000 miles plus. Very nice guy & an amazing feat of stamina, madness, obsession, whatever you want to call it.

MovieBuffering 05-14-20 08:40 PM

I think the older you get the more you enjoy a good Doc lol. Played basketball my whole life and I am a huge fan. I remember I read the Hoops Dreams book in high school before I even knew it was a filmed doc (which is rare I don't read a lot which you can probably tell :laugh:). Innovative as hell for it's time. Sports just lend themselves so well to documentaries for some reason.

But these 3 documentaries are worth your time even if you are not a basketball fan.

Once Brothers - 2010
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ers-poster.jpg

About Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic both made it to the NBA. Petrovic was considered the MJ of Europe and was the first really big import from Europe to the NBA. Vlade had a long successful NBA career as well. Both played for Yugoslavia before it dissolved into different countries because of war. They were best friends until war separated them. Won't say much more if you don't know how it all ends up. The countries that make up Yugoslavia today still produce a crazy about ball players including Luka Doncic.

Survive and Advance - 2013
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SY445_.jpg

This is probably my favorite doc 30 for 30 ever did about the 83 NC State team that won the National Championship. It will make you laugh, cry and entertain the piss out of you. They were not suppose to win the Championship, hell they needed a miracle ACC tournament just to qualify for the NCAA tournament. Jimmy Valvano just oozed of charisma and some of his players have it in spades as well, he rubbed off. That's why it's so damn entertaining. Of course Jimmy V died of cancer in 1992 but gave that indelible speech at the 1992 ESPY's. Fate had him win that title in 83 to give that speech. Crazy.

Bird & Magic: A Courtship of Rivals - 2010
https://dtvimages.hs.llnwd.net/e1//d...46_b_v5_aa.jpg

This is the GOAT for sports docs in my book. If I was going recommend one sports doc this would be it. It's just beautifully made. It's about a rivalry turned into a friendship. It's a great basketball history lesson if you are too young for Magic and Bird (I was born in 87 so I was too young, but my dad tells me all about them :laugh:). They saved the NBA and Jordan took it global. Black vs White. East Coast vs West Coast. Lakers vs Celtics. But in the midst of all that you find humanity in your rivals. I can't recommend it enough, I'll go back and rewatch it every few months. It just makes me smile.

Then these two are just kind of selfish recommendations for me ha. Both involving Shaq.

This Magic Moment - 2016
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...3ODE@._V1_.jpg

This simply was my childhood and the reason I am such a massive Orlando fan. I was born in Orlando. Spent a lot of my childhood going to Shaq and Penny games. Man those teams were great and fun. It's a crazy story about how that team escalated so quickly then just had an abrupt end. Forecast into what pro sports would look like with free agency, I think they were the first causality of it unfortunately for me. Maybe not as good as the other ones I mentioned but important to me ha.

Shaq & Dale - 2015
https://images.radiotimes.com/remote...700&height=422

Of course Shaq being on that Orlando team was my favorite player. Everyone knows Shaq. But this shows you his history and what makes him tick and how important his coach at LSU was to him and what mentorship can do for someone. The end is so sweet.

Anyways those are my recommendations ha

matt72582 05-14-20 08:43 PM

I just saw "Once Brothers" and really liked it... I remember when the incident happened, and like the documentary, I remember reading how Divac ripped up the Croatian flag, and its too bad bad information got out, before Petrovic was killed, disabling any chance for reconciliation.

Stirchley 05-15-20 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

What can I say? So good.

matt72582 05-15-20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2091411)
Then you'll probably like this (Jane is joined by ALL The Fondas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuxquM4LmyY&t=1s

Stirchley 05-15-20 07:24 PM

⬆️ Thanks. Will watch it later.

Stirchley 05-18-20 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I love animals so enjoyed this. Very messy vet office, I must say.

Stirchley 05-20-20 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Amazing feat from director Peter Jackson.

Wyldesyde19 05-22-20 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Interesting look into Corey Bookers campaign to unseat Incumbent Sharpe James. Not overly political, as instead it features James heavy handedand often times threatening attempts to win at all costs. Even bullying Booker supporters.
A fascinating look at how low one political rival will stoop to keep his position.
4 *’s

Wyldesyde19 05-22-20 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

2 Friends go to Mount Everest to ski and we watch the potential dangers unfold. Including a snowstorm.
The best part of it the cinematography. There’s some beautiful sights of ice caves they discover and explore and the occasional wildlife captured in film. But really, the snowstorms are an amazing sight.
Oh, and skiing. Lots and lots of skiing
3 *’s

Stirchley 05-25-20 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Excellent.

matt72582 05-25-20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2093499)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=64786

Interesting look into Corey Bookers campaign to unseat Incumbent Sharpe James. Not overly political, as instead it features James heavy handedand often times threatening attempts to win at all costs. Even bullying Booker supporters.
A fascinating look at how low one political rival will stoop to keep his position.
4 *’s
I didn't know his opponent, but in regards of how low one will stoop, Corey is a Wall St. prostitute, and even rented a girlfriend, who waited until Corey dropped out to say she was gay. There's no way Corey talks that way at home.

Stirchley 07-03-20 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Re-watch of a very interesting documentary about married artists Ushio Shinohara and Noriko Shinohara in NYC.

Stirchley 07-06-20 03:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Re-watch of a classic Frederick Wiseman documentary. Set in NYC in 1973. I very much doubt that anything has improved for people who are on welfare lines to this day.

No particular interest in Michael Hutchence or INXS, but interesting to watch. Tragic that he killed himself.

Stirchley 07-08-20 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

A live concert + a 50 minute documentary. Terrific & tragic at the same time.

Stirchley 07-13-20 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Brilliant mini-series from Netflix. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

Stirchley 07-15-20 02:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)

White woman pretending she is black. Fascinating.

So much more interesting than her book. She’s so feisty & entertaining. Really enjoyed this close-up look at her.

Stirchley 07-20-20 01:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Two very good documentaries.

Stirchley 07-29-20 02:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Two good documentaries.

honeykid 07-30-20 10:30 AM

https://media2.firstshowing.net/firs...mainimg599.jpg
United Skates
+

https://media2.firstshowing.net/firs...artbig5991.jpg
Black Hollywood: They Gotta Have Us

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MCwGOMloBPk/maxresdefault.jpg
Bob Ross: The Happy Painter

gbgoodies 07-31-20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 2113209)

I love watching Bob Ross' show "The Joy of Painting", but I don't know anything about him other than that he was a great painter. I'm going to watch this when I get a chance. It should be an interesting documentary. Thanks. :)

Stirchley 07-31-20 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Love her. So interesting.

Stirchley 08-03-20 02:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Didn’t finish this. Thought it would be more interesting. It’s not sufficient to grab every bit of footage - regardless of its quality - & call it a documentary.

Re-watch of a classic American documentary.

Excellent very sad documentary. 65,000,000 people around the world are refugees.

honeykid 08-07-20 02:25 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Fog_of_war.jpg
The Fog Of War

It's very information dense and I may well like it more with repeat viewings. However, should that never happen, I'm very pleased to have finally seen it.

James D. Gardiner 08-08-20 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKVoOzYyok
Ciao Anita - 2019
D: Jacques Lipkau-Goyard & Marco Kuveiller

Synopsis from Rome Independent Film Festival (2019):
This autobiography of Anita Ekberg, the screen legend, was shot in her final months when she was confined to a wheelchair in an old people’s home outside Rome. With a wicked sense of humor she lays bare her soul, alternating between hilarity, sadness, dreams and a wistful longing for that which she never attained on both a professional and personal level. After she passed, the interview and the additional footage did not get edited. Later we decided that Anita - the film star and friend - rightfully deserved to be tributed with "Ciao Anita".

------------

An acquaintance of mine and a close personal friend of hers, who appears in the film, recently informed me of some of its latest achievements (among many others):

- Los Angeles Film Awards: "Inspiring Woman in a Film Award".
- American Golden Picture International Film Festival: "Best Documentary Award" & "Best Music Composer Award".
- Festigious International Film Fest: "Best Inspirational Film Award".
- Golden Valley Global Cinefest (India): "Best Director" & "Best film on a Woman".
- Virgin Spring Cinefest: "Best Music score".
- Istanbul Film Awards "Best Documentary" & "Best Music".
- World Film Carnival (Singapore): "Best film score" & "Best Film on Women".

I don't believe this has had a proper distribution as of yet. I'm interested to follow it and if I find out anything more I'll provide some further updates if anyone's interested.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=66885
Banner at the Fontana di Trevi, January 2015.

Stirchley 08-10-20 03:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Excellent documentary about sexual assault of minors.

Audrie committed suicide 8 days after her assault & Daisy committed suicide this month 9 years after her assault.

Docufiction. So very good. Hugh Jackman is terrific in his rôle as is Allison Janney.

Stirchley 08-12-20 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I have zero interest in Amy Schumer or stand-up comedy in general, but this documentary is very interesting. She’s a nice lady.

Stirchley 08-17-20 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)

LOVE The Band. Very good documentary.

Not sure why we need a 4-part Hillary Clinton documentary. Surely everything that could be said has already been said. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.

Stirchley 08-26-20 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Re-watch. Sad. Still miss her. :(

pinball 09-01-20 08:26 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ack_poster.jpg

Honestly this is pretty mindblowing

Stirchley 09-02-20 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

So interesting & so good.

GulfportDoc 09-03-20 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Started a good documentary called I'll Be Gone in the Dark (2020). It's a 6 episode series about the East Area Rapist/murderer serial killer, aka "The Golden State Killer", who raped 50 women and killed 12 in the 1970s-80s. Watched the first two eps, and it's well directed by Liz Garbus from a book by Michelle McNamara , an amateur sleuth. It's on HBO and other streaming services.

Also, the documentaries Ella Fitzgerald: Just One of Those Things, and The Swamp-- a doc on the shenanigans and back room crap that goes on in D.C., look real good.

John-Connor 09-11-20 02:48 PM

The Social Dilemma 2020 Jeff Orlowski,
+

Stirchley 09-16-20 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Interesting, but is this the right time in the middle of a pandemic to release a documentary about “the girl who has everything”? Seems insensitive to me.

GulfportDoc 09-20-20 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2123862)
The Social Dilemma 2020 Jeff Orlowski,
+
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=67754
I agree. Very well done and good doc. I rated it a tad higher than you did:
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...21#post2124421

Stirchley 09-23-20 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

So interesting. For a man who left Cambridge without a degree & who never went to art school, Beaton sure could do everything.

Stirchley 09-28-20 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Excellent documentary. I had no idea where salt originally came from.

Stirchley 10-21-20 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Good documentary that @the samoan lawyer put me onto.

Stirchley 10-23-20 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Good documentary.

Stirchley 10-28-20 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Could not finish this. Beyond icky.

Stirchley 11-11-20 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Excellent. One hell of a crime.

Stirchley 11-13-20 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Excellent. Subject matter is the disappearance of thousands of Spaniards during their civil war.

Wyldesyde19 11-25-20 05:42 PM

Watched The Last Waltz. Haven’t watched many Concert Films yet, this being second along with Stop Making Sense, but with all the hype around The Last Waltz, I was very disappointed.
Stop Making Sense was much better in comparison.

Stirchley 11-25-20 05:58 PM

⬆️ Wow, I love The Last Waltz. Seen it a million times. Love The Band.

The Rodent 11-26-20 05:11 PM

Currently watching this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2319938/
Why They Sank The Titanic
Also known as Titanic: The Shocking Truth

The ADR of the presenter is a little skewy, but it's a fascinating, erm, docu-theory and well written.
Worth a look.

Edit... it's on YouTube too :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj-Ugf_HWng

Stirchley 12-07-20 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Interesting & disturbing. Fertility specialist decided to impregnate his patients with his own sperm without their knowledge or consent. Nobody knows how many children there are just from this one doctor. Other doctors have done it too.

Stirchley 12-09-20 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Interesting 4-part documentary. Madison Hamburg has spent the last 8 years trying to find his mother’s killer. To no avail.

Stirchley 12-14-20 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Never been a huge Bee Gees fan, but, boy, they sure did have some great hits. Some of which I had forgotten about.

Barry Gibb, the sole remaining brother, is very gracious here. Looking his age, but not trying to hide it. Lots of cameos from Clapton, Chris Martin, et al.

Very interesting & am gonna watch it again.

Thief 12-14-20 03:07 PM

Love me a good documentary, so here are some thoughts on a few favorites for anyone interested...

Cameraperson (2016) was recommended to me by someone on RT/Corrie (was it you, @SpelingError?) Anyway, it is a semi-biographical account of the career of director/cinematographer Kirsten Johnson. The way she splices bits and pieces of the films, shorts, and documentaries she has worked with slices of her personal life is nothing short of beautiful. One of my favorite films of 2016, and all-time, period.

Hoop Dreams (1994) is known by a lot of people and was probably mentioned here, but anyway, it follows the lives of two young and aspiring basketball players as they try to get out of their neighborhoods and into stardom. Probably thought by some as a "sports documentary", this is so much more as it crosses into the grounds of racial and socio-political struggles, the matters of goals and purposes, and what we do in life. Equally harrowing and inspiring.

Back to Bosnia (2005) Saw this one earlier this year. It follows a young, aspiring filmmaker as she chronicles her family's return to Bosnia after the 1990s war, while trying to reclaim their place (literally and figuratively). As I saw it, I didn't think it was as great as the above, but towards the end something clicked and it hit me hard. The way you see this family trying to regain what little they could get from their past and how wars can break families apart, it's just something else.

The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (2016) is a very insightful piece on the early years of the greatest band on Earth. From their rise to fame, to the mass hysteria that followed, I think it perfectly captures the way the mindset from each individual member and the group as a whole changes. I appreciate Howard's decision to focus on these years, however, I was left wanting to see a bit more from *after* that period, considering it's what one would say their most experimental and controversial period. Still, a must for Beatles fans.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007) is probably one of the most engaging and entertaining documentaries I've seen. Following the rivalry between two video game players, it succeeds not only in perfectly capturing their tension and clashes, but also serves as a snapshot of that 80s video game craze. Much have been said about the way certain "characters" are portrayed, but I think time has set that score straight. Even if it's not my favorite documentary, it's probably the one I would mostly recommend, if that makes any sense.

Three Identical Strangers (2018) should be seen knowing as little as possible. The documentary follows three teenagers that discover by accident that they're identical triplets that were somehow separated at birth. However, what starts as a crazy happy reunion turns quickly into a disturbing mess as they discover more and more about their past.

Catching Hell (2011) This documentary follows the events surrounding the infamous Steve Bartman and the Chicago Cubs run for a championship in 2003. I suppose that the enjoyment of this one would depend on your enjoyment of baseball, but being a fan and having lived this episode, I'm always amazed by the events around it. I love how the documentary uses the incident to examine the way fans talk about curses and scapegoats. I think what amazes me more is the mystery behind Bartman himself and the way he has handled the situation, which I strongly admire.

SpelingError 12-14-20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2152655)
Cameraperson (2016) was recommended to me by someone on RT/Corrie (was it you, @SpelingError?) Anyway, it is a semi-biographical account of the career of director/cinematographer Kirsten Johnson. The way she splices bits and pieces of the films, shorts, and documentaries she has worked with slices of her personal life is nothing short of beautiful. One of my favorite films of 2016, and all-time, period.
Yep, I did. Cameraperson is one of my favorite documentaries as well (I'll see if I can assemble a list for this thread later today), and I'm glad I bought the Criterion disc. My mom really liked it as well.

Speaking of which, did you see Johnson's second film Dick Johnson is Dead? I plan to write some more on it later this week or so and I was thinking of pinging you with my write-up as you're the only person I know of at Corrie/RT who's seen and loves Cameraperson. I actually watched it yesterday after I saw its high ranking on Sight & Sound's Best of 2020 list, and I really liked it. Not sure I connected with it as much as I did with Cameraperson, but I plan to watch it again later this week. I found its themes of "Joking about mortality to help you to cope with it" really powerful as I've done a similar thing for past traumas I've suffered in the past. Well, not in the "stage your trauma" way, but ya know.

Thief 12-14-20 03:43 PM

I haven't seen that one. I think I saw ads for it, but I don't even know what it's about. Now that I know that it's from Johnson, I might consider it.

Stirchley 12-14-20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2152695)
Speaking of which, did you see Johnson's second film Dick Johnson is Dead?
Too bizarre for me. I bailed out.

SpelingError 12-14-20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2152704)
Too bizarre for me. I bailed out.
An acquired taste, I suppose. I love bizarre films though. it was right up my alley!

Overall though, I could relate to the central premise of "Joking about your mortality to help you to cope with it", so that was what kept me on board throughout it. Like, I haven't joked about the past traumas I've experienced in the same way they were doing, but I do think that, depending on the person, this behavior can actually help you cope. Like, is it bizarre? Sure. Do I find it effective though? Absolutely. Not sure I like this film more than Cameraperson, but I connected with it a great deal.

Thief 12-14-20 04:56 PM

Ha! Now that I read what it really is about I'm more intrigued.

Stirchley 12-14-20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 2152770)
Ha! Now that I read what it really is about I'm more intrigued.
The premise was sufficiently interesting for me, but the actual footage was boring as heck.

SpelingError 12-15-20 12:50 PM

Here's my top 10 which I meant to post yesterday:

American Movie (1999)
Cameraperson (2016)
The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987)
Hoop Dreams (1994)
F for Fake (1973)
The House is Black (1963)
Koyaanisqatsi (1982)
Man With a Movie Camera (1929)
Night and Fog (1956)
Shoah (1985)