Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hobbies outside of film watching (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=26850)

Kitsch 09-25-11 06:12 PM

Hobbies outside of film watching

What kind of hobbies do you like besides film watching?

For me, film watching takes up almost all of my free time; however, reading about history and studying languages have always been something to fall back on. I can understand a fair amount of about half a dozen languages, as well as being able to read the Greek script and most of the Cyrillic.

mastermetal777 09-25-11 06:46 PM

Re: Hobbies outside of film watching

My hobbies besides watching films include playing guitar, reading (anything really), writing stories, and playing video games.

nebbit 09-25-11 06:47 PM

I make jewellery :yup:

Dog Star Man 09-25-11 06:48 PM

My hobbies outside of watching films is reading about various topics to apply to my own created film theories. Also, I like to make films, sometimes based upon the theories I created.

honeykid 09-25-11 10:55 PM

Watching TV. :D

linespalsy 09-25-11 11:12 PM

Reading and drawing. During the summer it's going to the beach and swimming/body-surfing which I wish I could do every day, year-round (I might not be quite as good as these guys but I also don't believe in wearing flippers). I also like hiking (or just walking around) and camping. Since I work and go to school part time for math I don't find that much time to do much reading or drawing these days, but that's also because I watch a lot of movies.

boxman 09-26-11 12:08 AM

I looove music. I play whatever I can find around - guitar, piano, violin, drums, nerves hehe, I do also sing. when I get bored, I take a friend or two outside for role-playing. the last thing we did was apocalypse-looks running through the town. I looked hot :) oh, et je parle un peu francais. je serais heureuse si quelqu'un ecrirait pour moi, parce que je n'ai personne autour que parle cette langue :(

FanaticFilmFan 09-26-11 04:47 AM

Well I made the horrible decision to go back to school a few years ago so I haven't had much free time to endulge in my hobby outside of movies in the past few years but I like to do some woodworking: birdhouses, adirondack chairs, porch swings, Book and DVD cases...had plans to build a desk but that has been on the backburner for a long time. Maybe after school.

OH and listening to Coast to Coast A.M. I love that show

honeykid 09-26-11 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticFilmFan (Post 767658)
...but I like to do some woodworking...had plans to build a desk but that has been on the backburner for a long time.
You don't want to that. It'll catch on fire. :D

What are you studying at school?

Kitsch 09-26-11 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticFilmFan (Post 767658)
Well I made the horrible decision to go back to school a few years ago so I haven't had much free time to endulge in my hobby outside of movies in the past few years but I like to do some woodworking: birdhouses, adirondack chairs, porch swings, Book and DVD cases...had plans to build a desk but that has been on the backburner for a long time. Maybe after school.

OH and listening to Coast to Coast A.M. I love that show
Something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember: construct a doll house. All wood, about four feet tall, hand-crafted, and with rooms and furniture, maybe a grand piano. I'd nearly forgotten about that idea until watching Amityville: Dollhouse the other day. Do you think that would be very hard to do?

FanaticFilmFan 09-26-11 04:53 PM

Honeykid I am an accountancy major.

Kitsch That project sounds awesome! I think it would be a very challenging project but with enough patience and time it can be done.

honeykid 09-26-11 10:20 PM

I'd like to build a dollhouse, too.

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images...use.022309.jpg
http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1...n-2-promos.jpg
http://driftlessareareview.files.wor.../dh_sierra.jpg

eMilee 09-26-11 11:34 PM

Photograpy
reading
Writing
crosswords

quint 09-27-11 10:24 AM

I build models. I used to coach little league, but my daughter's past the age now.

FanaticFilmFan 09-27-11 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by quint (Post 767949)
I build models. I used to coach little league, but my daughter's past the age now.
Can you recommend a website where I can find some good model kits? :D Nobody sells them in stores around here anymore and I'd love to put one together

Pyro Tramp 09-27-11 12:04 PM

Getting pissed.

Brodinski 09-27-11 02:37 PM

My primary hobby is watching and practicing the art of boxing. As a result, I also spend quite a few hours in the gym, so that's also a pastime of mine.

I like to read when I feel like it. I read about a book every month, more during the summer.

That's about it.

Pyro Tramp 09-27-11 04:24 PM

'Practising the art of boxing' is that a way to say you don't get in the ring with anyone?

gandalf26 09-27-11 06:35 PM

2 young energetic dogs that need walks and played with. keeps me active and i love them to bits so win win.

Golf (though weather put me off a lot this season)

Gym

Video Games

Play for a pool team every week.

Brodinski 09-27-11 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 767989)
'Practising the art of boxing' is that a way to say you don't get in the ring with anyone?
You know sparring is done for practice, right?