Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hellboy Reboot (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=49311)

The Rodent 05-09-17 06:26 AM

Hellboy Reboot

Like with Marvel's Hulk, Hellboy is now undergoing a redo/reboot.

Hellboy was last seen on the screen in 2008 under the helm of director for hire Guillermo Del Toro... both Hellboy movies were met with critical panning and fans feeling nothing but rage and disappointment.

Hellboy built up a bit of a cult following in the past 10 years, though is still seen as one of the weakest comicbook movies ever made.

Turns out though, David Harbour, star of Stranger Things, has been cast in the reboot as Hellboy... with Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin (producers of Predator, Die Hard, Watchmen etc) at the producer helm.

News in is that it'll be an 18 rated movie, based directly from the comic.

MovieMeditation 05-09-17 07:08 AM

Re: Hellboy Reboot (Year Yet Unknown)

Critical panning? Fans feeling nothing but rage and disappointment?

I think you should research that again my friend. :D

The cult following has given it something extra but it was never panned or hated by every fan of the comic books... anyways, weird they want to reboot it and not just give Del Toro his final entry to the trilogy.

TheUsualSuspect 05-09-17 08:41 AM

How will a reboot be better than a third? You're going to alienate and piss-off your core audience who wants a third film.

Dumb.

Iroquois 05-09-17 09:06 AM

Yeah, not sure where this panning is coming from - both films are certified fresh on RT and they're certainly not among the weakest comic-book movies to ever exist.

In any case, I'm definitely disappointed that there won't be a part three (especially since the second one went to so much trouble of setting it up), but I'll see how a reboot turns out.

doubledenim 05-09-17 10:46 AM

It all makes sense now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/pUgwLxmGW3S7K/giphy.gif

I'm sure there will be plenty of time for coffee and contemplation. I guess whoever owns the rights wanted to wash their hands of GDT and Pearlman.

Spitballin, they want a Deadpool budget movie and there was no way H3 would could accomplish that and work.

MonnoM 05-09-17 03:55 PM

Just now seeing this after creating a thread. This sounds very promising. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Dani8 05-09-17 04:00 PM

It's not hellboy without Ronnie. :bawling:

TheUsualSuspect 05-09-17 05:32 PM

Neil Marshall directing, R rated?

I'm still not happy about it, but interested.

Saunch 05-09-17 05:58 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel about this.

In a way, the character was as much a signature of GDT as he was Mignola's. Certainly was for Ron. I like Marshall but this feels like a step down.

doubledenim 05-09-17 06:38 PM

I'm good with it. Hellboy 3 was never gonna happen and I'm just glad to get a chance to see it on the big screen again.

CosmicRunaway 05-09-17 06:44 PM

I met Doug Jones just over a week ago. If this had been announced before then, I definitely would've liked to ask about his thoughts on it.

As for me, I'm sceptical but willing to give it a chance.

TheUsualSuspect 05-10-17 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1700535)
I'm good with it. Hellboy 3 was never gonna happen and I'm just glad to get a chance to see it on the big screen again.
Which I just don't understand. Who is this movie going to be for if the people who really wanted a Hellboy 3 are pissed off about this remake?

doubledenim 05-10-17 11:08 AM

If what they say is true about it being a horror influenced take and that first trailer is good, everyone that likes the character.

GDT and Pearlman as Hellboy elicit a lot of strong feeling. This isn't Transformers or G.I. Joe. The most vocal and outspoken, fans can dominate this conversation. The people I know, the ones who are real comic fans (unlike myself) were all upset up about no GDT yesterday. I'm going to take the easy way out on this. Batman 89' was great and so was Nolan's DK. These franchises don't have to live and die with one version.

This is something that Marvel is going to run into sooner or later. No matter how good they can make their fringe properties, they will have to turn over the starting lineup one day.

Swan 05-11-17 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1700157)
both Hellboy movies were met with critical panning and fans feeling nothing but rage and disappointment.
wait wut

The Rodent 05-11-17 08:33 AM

Well apart from becoming a bit of a cult movie I've never really heard anyone actually rave about Hellboy.
I never ranked it myself and most people I've spoken to have said it was garbage as well.

doubledenim 05-11-17 10:21 AM

You remind me of my fat...

Swan 05-11-17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1701371)
Well apart from becoming a bit of a cult movie I've never really heard anyone actually rave about Hellboy.
I never ranked it myself and most people I've spoken to have said it was garbage as well.
I love them.

WorldFilmGeek 05-11-17 05:01 PM

It looks like a possible shoot for the film may be happening in September, according to a tweet from The Hollywood Reporter:

“#HellboyReboot could come sooner than you think: producers would like to start shooting mid-September. (If they will is another matter.)”

Dani8 05-14-17 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1701521)
I love them.
So do I. I thought they were really funny and charming. Don't know if I could watch one without Ronny, though.

WorldFilmGeek 06-22-17 05:50 PM

http://static2.blastingnews.com/medi...an_1371835.jpg

Thanks to Patton Oswalt, Ron Perlman gave his blessing to David Harbour. The two met at a dinner arranged by Oswalt.

And here is Harbour preparing to get the Right Hand of Doom made
https://i0.wp.com/thefanboyseo.com/w...nd-of-doom.jpg