Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Resident Bitch's Movie Log (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=43738)

Miss Vicky 12-03-15 01:19 AM

The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

I had intended to wait to start this thread until after the first of the year, but what the hell. There's no time like the present, right? Right. So in this thread I will post a rating for each film that I watch and maybe write a little about each of them as well. I've been in a bit of a movie watching slump lately and I'm hoping that starting this thread might prompt me to watch more films.

A Note About My Rating System: I'm not super strict about what a film must accomplish in order to get a high rating from me. I mostly take into account my overall enjoyment of the film, how the finished piece compared to my expectations, and how well I connected to the story and its characters. I may add or subtract a half a popcorn box or two for more specific things like performances and cinematography if there was something that stood out as particularly good or particularly bad about a movie.

A rating of
or higher means I liked the film. Anything above that is a measure of how much I liked it. A rating of
means I was fairly apathetic to it, and anything below that is just a measure of how much I disliked it.

Movies Watched - 2015/2016  

Movies Watched - 2017  

Movies Watched - 2018
January
12 Years a Slave
Moonlight
Mutiny On the Bounty
Argo
Forrest Gump
The Godfather
Rocky (New Review)
The Silence of the Lambs
All the King's Men (1949)
On the Waterfront (New Review)
A Beautiful Mind
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Gladiator (New Review)
February
Glory
Out of the Blue
Shallow Grave
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Station Agent
American Graffiti
The Elephant Man
In the Mood for Love
Rebecca
March
L'Avventura
Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
The Emoji Movie
April
Ferdinand
Call Me By Your Name
Big
You Were Never Really Here
May
Waterloo Bridge (1931)
Frances Ha
The Breadwinner
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
3:10 to Yuma (2007) (New Review)
Poison for the Fairies
Wait Until Dark
Naked
Mr Freedom
June
Three Monkeys
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Call Me By Your Name (New Review)
Bao / Incredibles 2
July
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
The Bodyguard
Amos & Andrew
August
*No films watched in August*
September
The Dressmaker
Amélie
Day for Night
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Lean On Pete
The Libertine
The Innocents
Pixote
Let the Right One In
Rush
The Hawks and the Sparrows
Ghostwatch
Incendies
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
October
The Aviator
Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot
The Sisters Brothers
November
Gremlins
Gremlins (Yes, again)
Surf's Up
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
December
An American Crime
Boy Erased
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Love, Actually
Arachnophobia
The Ref
Isle of Dogs
Early Man

Movies Watched - 2019
January
Wolf
The Skin I Live In
Interview With the Vampire
Abandon Ship (a.k.a. Seven Days From Now)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
February
Split (1989)
Road to Perdition
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The King of Comedy
Perfect Blue
The Kid Who Would Be King
The Florida Project
Brimstone
The Square
The Little Stranger
Bubba Ho-Tep
March
A Bug's Life
Coco
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Monsters University
Ratatouille
Toy Story
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Up
April
Mary Magdelene
May
Big Hero 6
The Professor
Tombstone
Open Range
Raging Bull
Gaslight (1940)
June
Gaslight (1944)
Safety Last!
The Godfather
The Virgin Spring
Angel Face
Cinema Paradiso
Pulp Fiction
Return to Paradise
The Secret Life of Pets 2
July
Diary of a Lost Girl
The Strange Thing About the Johnsons
The Wind in the Willows (1983)
Meet the Robinsons
Wizards
The Sword in the Stone
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Spirited Away
The Adventures of Prince Achmed
August
Your Name.
Tower
Ernest & Celestine
Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
Burn After Reading
Troy
A Town Called Panic
The Dark Knight
September
Lilo & Stitch
October
Joker
The Squid and the Whale
High Noon
We Own the Night
Ghostbusters (1984)
Inventing the Abbotts
Monsters, Inc.
Rear Window
The Music Man
Phantom Thread
Blood Simple
The Sisters Brothers
Cool Hand Luke
Elmer Gantry
Signs
Brother Bear
Ladder 49
Clay Pigeons
November
Joker
You Were Never Really Here
Hotel Rwanda
The Yards
Toy Story 4
Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot
Inherent Vice
The Master
Walk the Line
U Turn
8MM
The Immigrant
To Die For
Buffalo Soldiers
Two Lovers
I'm Still Here
It's All About Love
Reservation Road
The Village
The Appaloosa (1966)
Shane
The Hanging Tree
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Man From Snowy River
The Big Country
The Quick and the Dead
December
Hombre
Sukiyaki Western Django
One-Eyed Jacks
Hostiles

Miss Vicky 12-03-15 01:27 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...ysuperteam.gif

Sanjay’s Super Team (Sanjay Patel, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/29/15
Cinema or Home: Cinema (with Funny Face)
Reason For Watching: It’s Pixar
Rewatch: No

This is the short that appears before The Good Dinosaur. Like the feature that follows it, Sanjay’s Super Team is entertaining and at times quite touching, but there’s nothing particularly original in its premise or themes.

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...oddinosaur.gif

The Good Dinosaur (Peter Sohn, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/29/15
Cinema or Home: Cinema (with Funny Face)
Reason For Watching: It’s Pixar

Ever since seeing the trailer for this film, I’ve had my reservations about it. The scenery in the film is hyper-realistic and breathtakingly gorgeous, but the characters – particularly the main dinosaur Arlo – are very cartoonish in design. I found this clash of styles to be rather distracting. The film also suffers from a rather uninspired story and clichéd plot devices (orphaned protagonists, anyone?). Still, there’s enough humor and enough heart here to make for a very watchable but not especially memorable film.

Swan 12-03-15 01:30 AM

Re: The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

I'm expecting a lot of bitchiness in this thread, or I will be sorely disappointed. :)

Zotis 12-03-15 01:32 AM

-Pokes in-

I'm curious to see what you'll tend to watch leading into the new year.

Camo 12-03-15 08:10 AM

That's pretty much what i've been hearing about The Good Dinosaur, looks great but has an uninspired story. Still looking forward to it though.

Iroquois 12-03-15 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1418057)
I'm expecting a lot of bitchiness in this thread, or I will be sorely disappointed. :)
I can hardly wait.

seanc 12-03-15 08:29 AM

Glad your doing this MV, I enjoy the movie logs. I expect a have dose of PTA in here. ;)

Kind of wish I had went to Good Dinosaur like I planned last weekend because everything I am hearing is saying skip it.

Gatsby 12-03-15 08:54 AM

Oh *****, now I'm the one who has never a done a log before.

Good luck MV. :)

False Writer 12-03-15 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1418053)
Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1418216)
Such rude language in this thread!!! :mad:

Miss Vicky 12-03-15 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1418232)
Such rude language in this thread!!! :mad:
What the **** are you talking about, man?

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...og/thedude.jpg

Miss Vicky 12-03-15 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1418207)
Kind of wish I had went to Good Dinosaur like I planned last weekend because everything I am hearing is saying skip it.
It's a good movie, it's just nowhere near as good as what I know Pixar is capable of producing. Funny Face and I both had a fun time with it.

honeykid 12-03-15 05:56 PM

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. It'd be nice to have you around the place a little more, MV. :)

christine 12-03-15 06:14 PM

Good to see you MV, looking forward to reading your thoughts :)

SilentVamp 12-03-15 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1418216)
I haven't, obviously, done one either. I contemplated it for awhile. I figured I would start in January, but I can't say that I have been very faithful with my movie-watching this year. Who knows if I will be any better with it next year? So I don't think it would be worthwhile for me to even begin one.

MV, it is good to see that you've started one, though, and I will be following along.

Miss Vicky 12-05-15 03:51 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...g/whiplash.gif

Whiplash (Damien Chazelle, 2014)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/04/15
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: It was available on Starz Play

I'd heard nothing but great things about this film and, in particular, about the performance of J.K. Simmons. There's no doubt that Simmons deserves this praise. His performance is phenomenal. Fletcher's intensity and volcanic temper are riveting. He's so unlikable that he's almost likable.

Andrew Neiman, on the other hand, I found totally unlikable and because of this, I struggled to connect with the film. I suppose I was meant to respect his drive, but he was far too self centered and arrogant for me to care. Still, there's more than enough in what Simmons has to offer to make for a compelling and very watchable film. I just don't know if it's something I'll revisit.

-

Zotis 12-05-15 06:46 AM

I'm surprised you gave Whiplash 4 stars even with that criticism of the main character. I'm glad you liked it though.

honeykid 12-05-15 10:37 AM

Like Zotis I'm surprised you've rated it so well given what you've written about the film. Not that I think you've under or over rated it, I've not seen it,

Miss Vicky 12-05-15 10:57 AM

Simmons was just that good.

honeykid 12-05-15 11:07 AM

That's kind of what I figured.

seanc 12-05-15 11:11 AM

I gave it the same rating MV, one of the best from last year. It's picking at gnats, but I think you are supposed to geel exactly the way you did about Nieman. So whether that is a strike against or not is up to the viewer. Empathy can't always be our entry point.

Miss Vicky 12-05-15 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1419031)
Empathy can't always be our entry point.
I'm not necessarily looking to empathize with a character, though. Hatred or respect work just as well to help me connect, but I felt neither for Andrew - which made certain scenes lose a lot of their potential impact for me.

seanc 12-05-15 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1419035)
I'm not necessarily looking to empathize with a character, though. Hatred or respect work just as well to help me connect, but I felt neither for Andrew - which made certain scenes lose a lot of their potential impact for me.
I get you. He is an arrogant jerk. I think the dilemma of the character is whether he is going to allow himself to become Fletcher or not. Glad you enjoyed it. I have watched it twice now and think highly of it.

Gideon58 12-05-15 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1418973)
http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...g/whiplash.gif

Whiplash (Damien Chazelle, 2014)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/04/15
Reason For Watching: It was available on Starz Play

I'd heard nothing but great things about this film and, in particular, about the performance of J.K. Simmons. There's no doubt that Simmons deserves this praise. His performance is phenomenal. Fletcher's intensity and volcanic temper are riveting. He's so unlikable that he's almost likable.

Andrew Neiman, on the other hand, I found totally unlikable and because of this, I struggled to connect with the film. I suppose I was meant to respect his drive, but he was far too self centered and arrogant for me to care. Still, there's more than enough in what Simmons has to offer to make for a compelling and very watchable film. I just don't know if it's something I'll revisit.

-
It's nice to know that someone else had issues with Whiplash...I got a lot of hostile response to my review that didn't refer to the film as the next Citizen Kane.

Zotis 12-06-15 06:38 AM

Personally I liked Andrew and felt that I could relate a lot to him. After I watched it, I got the urge to put everything I have into my own passions. It was a really inspiring movie. It's pretty amazing what a person can accomplish if they really give it their all. And it's possibly my favorite J.K. Simmons performance. He is such a beast the way he pulled off all that intensity.

Zotis 12-10-15 01:59 AM

Hey, when's the next update? :p

Miss Vicky 12-10-15 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 1421253)
Hey, when's the next update? :p
Whenever I watch another movie. :laugh:

Zotis 12-10-15 02:18 AM

You mean you haven't watch a movie for four days? :O

Miss Vicky 12-10-15 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 1421258)
I've been busy with other things. Maybe I'll watch something tomorrow.

Iroquois 12-10-15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 1421258)
Not everyone is me.

Zotis 12-10-15 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1421259)
I've been busy with other things. Maybe I'll watch something tomorrow.
Oh no... I think you get banned from movieforums.com if you go 5 days without watching a movie...

Cole416 12-10-15 08:37 AM

Every morning I get on and my day gets gradually worse after I find out there's no update to your thread.

So basically it's been sh*tty for the past 3 days. :p

Update this pls!

Gatsby 12-10-15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1419031)
Empathy can't always be our entry point.
I think this is what I keep telling you whenever disagree with one of my favs. Have you finally learned? :D

Obviously I liked the movie way better than Miss Vicky did but I'm giving her a thumbs up because she didn't give it a bad rating at all.

Miss Vicky 12-10-15 10:00 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...g/warriors.gif

The Warriors (Walter Hill, 1979)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/10/15
Reason For Watching: It seems to be popular on MoFo

This was a good bit of stupid fun. The acting was pretty terrible and the story was near non-existent but it had a cool soundtrack and was an entertaining watch. I did find the costume design a bit distracting and laughable though. Am I really meant to buy that these effeminate looking dudes in matching outfits are tough street gangs and not just people with s***ty fashion sense? Because they look more like poorly dressed dance troupes on their way to a competition than anybody to be feared.

+

Zotis 12-11-15 01:14 AM

The Warriors, classic. :up:

I pretty much agree with you about the acting and story. It's a fairly unique movie, so I liked it for that.

honeykid 12-11-15 08:08 AM

The Warriors is brilliant. I love that film so much. It's a huge part of my childhood.

I was looking at when you watched it and wondered how the hell you managed to watch it tomorrow, considering that you're on the wrong side of the planet for that to be the case. Then I realised that you all put the date the wrong way around. :D

Iroquois 12-11-15 03:26 PM

All things considered, I find these "you haven't updated your thread in days" posts rather amusing.

Meanwhile, as much as I love The Warriors, I am not surprised to see people think of it as just good.

rauldc14 12-11-15 04:09 PM

The Warriors is a decent flick, I suppose.

Thursday Next 12-11-15 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1421584)
I did find the costume design a bit distracting and laughable though. Am I really meant to buy that these effeminate looking dudes in matching outfits are tough street gangs and not just people with s***ty fashion sense?
This is what I like most about this film. :)

mark f 12-11-15 05:00 PM

The Warriors is good for a few laughs, nothing more. Actually, the best thing about this trailer is the Tangerine Dream music from Sorcerer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhIRuAsiFQQ

Camo 12-11-15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 1422013)
This is what I like most about this film. :)
Same. I'm not even a big fan of the film, but their outfits are brilliant. Miss Vicky, it is basically West Side Story without the Musical element and with more repressed dancing outbursts :D

cricket 12-12-15 09:14 AM

Glad you enjoyed The Warriors, one of my favorites. As far as them not looking like tough street gang types, don't forget that this was before everyone wanted to bulk up and cover themselves in tattoos. People just looked like people back then, with the exception commonly being with the clothes they wore. Even how regular people a few years later in the 80's dressed and wore their hair can look funny now.

edarsenal 12-15-15 02:46 PM

I love the smell of bitchiness in the morning!

Great start!!

Citizen Rules 12-15-15 02:54 PM

Love The Warriors, all the gangs were 'dressed up' because they were wearing their special 'colors' to attend a huge gang rally. We're not suppose to believe they always looked like this.

The director has also said the film is set in a semi-dystopian near-future, and is a parable of Homer's Odysssey, so this is not about real gang members.

You guys who are dissing this film as just cheesy fun, really need to dig deeper. There's a lot more to this film.

Miss Vicky 12-15-15 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1423570)
You guys who are dissing this film as just cheesy fun, really need to dig deeper. There's a lot more to this film.
Enlighten us.

Citizen Rules 12-15-15 03:04 PM

I thought I just did;)

Miss Vicky 12-15-15 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1423578)
I thought I just did;)
What then was the moral or spiritual lesson the viewer is supposed to glean from this?

Citizen Rules 12-15-15 03:21 PM

Not all great movies have moral or spiritual lessons. The Warriors works as a journey adventure, that the viewer undertakes as we enter the world of The Warriors and try to make it back through hostile terrain to a safe shore. It might be more of a film that guys can relate to. But the character of Mercy has got to be one of the most self deprecating characters I've seen on film. The actresses did a bang up job (pun intended), seriously a very memorable character study. Some of the main characters in the movie are archetypes for Greek mythos. Ajax was a character in the Odyssey.

On top of all that it was one helluva tense action movie for it's time. I seen it first run at the movie theaters. I left the theater feeling pumped and ready to battle (but instead my parents drove me home in their old 4 door car;))

Swan 12-15-15 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1422018)
The Warriors is good for a few laughs, nothing more. Actually, the best thing about this trailer is the Tangerine Dream music from Sorcerer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhIRuAsiFQQ
Tangerine Dream is usually the best thing about anything.

Miss Vicky 12-15-15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1423583)
Not all great movies have moral or spiritual lessons.[i]
I never said they did. You said it was intended as a parable of The Odyssey.

"Parable" is defined as a simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson. I see no lesson here.

Citizen Rules 12-15-15 03:40 PM

Did I say parable? I must have meant parallel;)

The lesson was survival or better yet, don't trust chicks packin' heat who invite you in to party.

BTW, did you see the original version or the lesser Director's Cut with the silly comic book scene wipes?

honeykid 12-15-15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1423585)
Tangerine Dream is usually the best thing about anything.
A, no. And, B, definitely not in the case of The Warriors.

I'm almost certain she saw the directors cut as its' the only one available on dvd.

Swan 12-15-15 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1423594)
A, no.
Yes yes and more yes! Phaedra for the win!

Citizen Rules 12-15-15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1423594)
I'm almost certain she saw the directors cut as its' the only one available on dvd.
Ahh, see that's too bad that cut is out there, it makes the film look silly with the comic book crap added in. If I had a first watching now of that I might not think so highly of the film as I do.

Miss Vicky 12-15-15 04:00 PM

I saw whichever version is on Netflix. I don't remember any "comic book crap" but it certainly didn't need that to look silly. ;)

Also, I don't see much of a parallel to The Odyssey, unless you count being attacked by weird looking creatures.

The fact that they trusted The Lizzies and didn't suspect the obvious trap only adds to my not buying them as tough street fighters.

mark f 12-15-15 04:02 PM

But the original is what they show on cable, in the U.S. anyway. Go The Wanderers!

honeykid 12-15-15 04:58 PM

Ah, if she watched it on Netflix, then it may well be the proper version.

Do they have this song in the US version? Because it's not on the Directors Cut over here, which is the worst crime about that cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK4iHgEnKJo

AboveTheClouds 12-15-15 05:16 PM

I bought the original warriors ten years ago on DVD without the Special Edition, that came out a few years later with the comic book transitions and the behind the scenes interviews and stuff. You can still get the original version, and Netflix last time I checked (In Canada anyway) had the original version without the comic book transitions.

http://www.ascully.com/images/bluray...iors/cover.jpg
Collectors Edition

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...PL._SY300_.jpg
Original Edition (Without Comic book Transitions)

Camo 12-15-15 05:44 PM

The Netflix one is the original.

Iroquois 12-16-15 07:46 AM

Though The Warriors does have Odyssey-like elements to it (the most obvious example being the Siren-like Lizzies), the core narrative is based off a different Greek historical text known as Xenophon's Anabasis, which chronicles a Greek army fighting their way through hostile territory following the death of a Persian general called Cyrus. I've seen it about twenty times by this point and I reckon that, if there's a deeper meaning to this film, then it's not really that much deeper than its gaudy action-packed surface. You get the odd humanising moment but that's about it.

Also, the Director's Cut is a cinematic abomination.

honeykid 12-16-15 09:18 AM

No, there's nothing 'deep' about The Warriors. Being based on ancient texts/storyine/fairytales/myths/whatever is not the same as deep.

Now, if you want to analyse something and find stuff to support a hypothesis or something, that's a different matter.

Miss Vicky 12-16-15 05:41 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...godfathers.gif

Tokyo Godfathers (Satoshi Kon and Shôgo Furuya, 2003)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/16/15
Reason For Watching: It's a Christmas movie
Rewatch: Yes

I watched this for the first time back in June after really enjoying Kon's other three features. I didn't know that it was a Christmas movie at the time which may have slightly affected my enjoyment of it. So I decided to revisit it now.

Like most Christmas movies, it does suffer from being overly sentimental at times and some of the events are difficult to believe, with the film expecting you to accept them as Christmas miracles. Still, I find this tale of a misfit surrogate family of homeless people hiding from their pasts - a drunken middle aged man, a transsexual, a teenaged runaway and an abandoned baby - to be really endearing and quite funny.

+

cricket 12-16-15 05:43 PM

I seem to remember Kon being the director of a couple movies I really liked. I might try that.

Camo 12-16-15 06:00 PM

That's the only Kon i haven't watched yet.

Zotis 12-17-15 03:04 AM

I haven't seen it, but I hear great things about it. And I love Kon. Glad you liked it Vicky, especially since it's Anime. XD

Miss Vicky 12-17-15 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Zotis (Post 1424388)
I haven't seen it, but I hear great things about it. And I love Kon. Glad you liked it Vicky, especially since it's Anime. XD
I don't hate Anime, I've just been mostly indifferent to what I've seen. Kon is the only Anime director that has truly impressed me and I've added all four of his movies to my collection. I will say though that Tokyo Godfathers is stylistically different than the other Kon films in that the surrealistic elements are very minimal.

Zotis 12-17-15 03:25 AM

I'd recommend Perfect Blue the most. That's my favorite of his.

Have you seen anything by Masaaki Yuasa?

Miss Vicky 12-17-15 04:00 AM

I liked Paprika the most, but Perfect Blue is excellent too.

I don't think I've seen anything by Yuasa. Most of the anime I've seen has been from Studio Ghibli.

Zotis 12-17-15 06:21 AM

Check out the movie Jin Roh. It's a psychological thriller/drama with a bit of a futuristic little red riding hood story.

Miss Vicky 12-25-15 01:04 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...og/minions.gif

Minions (Kyle Balda and Pierre Coffin, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/24/15
Reason For Watching: I received the bluray for Christmas

Sequels and prequels often fail to measure up to original films and spin-offs of secondary characters are nearly always much, much worse (I’m looking at you, Puss In Boots!). So when I heard about Minions, I had a lot of reservations and ended up skipping it at the theater.

There’s no doubt that this is a far cry from Despicable Me, which is one of my all time favorite animated films, but it was still a very watchable movie and even had a few laugh out loud moments. The fact that Bob befriends a rat didn’t hurt anything, either. That said, the laughs and premise are stretched a bit thin and I feel like this would’ve worked better as a short than as a feature.

+

Camo 12-25-15 01:44 PM

Won't even take time off on Jesus birthday, you are a dedicated MoFo i'm so proudb :bawling: . I didn't like Minions at all tbh, Despicable Me was pretty good (haven't seen the second one), i mostly liked Grus relationship with the kids the minions were funny and cute at first but they have became incredibly annoying now IMO.

Merry Christmas MV :)

PS: There are rumours going around that i am drunk, i will neither confirm or deny.

Miss Vicky 12-25-15 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1428070)
Merry Christmas MV :)
Merry Christmas, Drunkard.

Camo 12-25-15 02:10 PM

Only my mother gets to call me that :coleman:

Miss Vicky 12-27-15 09:25 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../thenutjob.gif

The Nut Job (Peter Lepeniotis, 2014)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/27/15
Reason For Watching: I was bored and it was on Netflix

Discount Over the Hedge... with fart jokes. And a soundtrack that features "Gangnam Style." :facepalm:

gbgoodies 12-27-15 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1429122)
http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../thenutjob.gif

The Nut Job (Peter Lepeniotis, 2014)
Imdb

Discount Over the Hedge... with fart jokes. And a soundtrack that features "Gangnam Style." :facepalm:

I loved Over the Hedge. I hated The Nut Job.

Cole416 12-27-15 09:35 PM

That reminds me that I need to watch "Over the Hedge" again.

Miss Vicky 12-28-15 03:59 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...g/furyroad.gif

Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
Imdb

Cinema or Home: Friend's House
Reason For Watching: I bought the bluray as a gift for a friend and we watched it together
Rewatch: Yes

I'm not sure how many times I've seen this movie now, but tonight was at least the sixth viewing. I still love it. I love the explosions. I love the ridiculous cars. I love the ridiculous costumes. I love the crazy stunts. I love the over the top villains. I love dirty Tom Hardy in chains and a muzzle. I love it all.

The friend I bought it for hadn't seen it before. She loved it, too.

Camo 12-28-15 04:04 AM

He looks like Spud from Trainspotting :laugh:

edarsenal 12-28-15 12:58 PM

Been wanting to see Tokyo Fathers, really need to.

Loved Minions and a huge fan of Despicable I & II

Didn't last past the first 15 min of Nut Job

and fully agree about how much fun it is to watch Fury Road

cricket 12-28-15 01:06 PM

Wow, 6th time seeing Fury Road already? I could barely get through once.

Miss Vicky 12-30-15 01:48 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...ieLog/home.gif

Home (Tim Johnson, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/26/15-12/29/15

Some of these scenes might actually have been touching if I didn't hate these obnoxious characters so damn much. Uninspired and annoying. It took me three attempts (or was it four?) to get through it. Come on Dreamworks, you're better than this.

:mad:

-

Sexy Celebrity 12-30-15 03:28 AM

I saw something earlier -- apparently Fury Road is Quentin Tarantino's favorite movie of the year.

Miss Vicky 12-30-15 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1430217)
I saw something earlier -- apparently Fury Road is Quentin Tarantino's favorite movie of the year.
That's not surprising. It's a fun action flick. Seems like it'd be right up his alley.

Miss Vicky 01-02-16 01:09 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt.../guardians.gif

Guardians of the Galaxy (James Gunn, 2014)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/31/15
Cinema or Home: Funny Face's House
Reason For Watching: Funny Face wanted to watch it

I know Guardians of the Galaxy is well loved by many on the forum, but I was rather unimpressed with it. It had a few funny moments and few touching ones, but it was just way too Sci Fi for my tastes. It also relied far too heavily on CG effects - so much so that it pretty much qualifies as a hybrid animation/live action film. And while that style of film can work quite well, it just didn’t really work for me here and I found all that CG more distracting than anything else.

Also, a nitpicky side note – Raccoons are not rodents.

Funny Face 01-02-16 03:09 PM

At least the best part wasn't CG. Just CP.
https://media.giphy.com/media/57ef1vFDgoGhq/giphy.gif

Miss Vicky 01-02-16 11:54 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...og/hateful.gif

The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 1/2/16
Cinema or Home: Cinema, with Funny Face
Reason For Watching: It's a Tarantino film. Also I love Samuel L. Jackson.

Tarantino is a director who knows how to have fun and keep an audience entertained. He's also a man who knows how to build tension. He has a ball doing both in this flick. If you want a serious period piece, look elsewhere. If you want a solemn character study or some sort of fable about nobility or honor, look elsewhere. This is not a standard Western. This is Tarantino. What you're going to get is a lot of colorful characters, colorful language, violence, and blood. That's exactly what I wanted from this movie and he delivered. I didn't love it as much as Django Unchained or Inglourious Basterds, but I certainly had a good time with it.

+

cricket 01-02-16 11:59 PM

That's a good way to look at The Hateful Eight, rather than dissecting it looking for faults.

Citizen Rules 01-03-16 12:10 AM

I'm going to rep that review of The Hateful Eight, I'm sure I will hate that film, but you wrote a good review that told it like it was.

JayDee 01-03-16 04:12 PM

Nice to see you appear to be keeping this going MV. :up: Got to say though that I don't agree with a whole lot of what you have to say! :p

Glad you somewhat enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy. While I certainly liked it more than you that is probably more generous than I'd have predicted from you. Hateful Eight I watched and wasn't really a fan of I've got to say. And then your feelings on Minions and Home I'd pretty much swap around entirely. Minions was largely what I expected/feared from a spin-off for some comic relief characters whose vocabulary only stretches to about two words. One or two mini laughs aside I found it quite a slog to get through. Home however I quite enjoyed, certainly a lot more than I thought I would. Just a shame that Rihanna's presence significantly dragged it down or I could really have liked it.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1428063)
The fact that Bob befriends a rat didn’t hurt anything, either.
As soon as that happened I instantly thought of you. :D

Miss Vicky 01-03-16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 1432718)
Hateful Eight I watched and wasn't really a fan of I've got to say.
Not enough walking, talking trees and anthropomorphic raccoons for you? :p

honeykid 01-03-16 05:22 PM

I keep seeing people who like Hateful Eight saying they liked it, but not as much as Django and IB. I don't know whether to be encouraged by that or not. :D

JayDee 01-03-16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1432724)
Not enough walking, talking trees and anthropomorphic raccoons for you? :p
I know you're being sarcastic but if Groot had been there it would almost certainly have been a better film!

Miss Vicky 01-03-16 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 1432922)
I know you're being sarcastic but if Groot had been there it would almost certainly have been a better film!
I actually found Groot a little irritating. He doesn't make anything better.

honeykid 01-04-16 10:10 AM

Groot is rubbish. Sorry, JD, but after watching that film my biggest feeling was "how did that become a thing?"

JayDee 01-04-16 10:57 AM

:eek: How dare you two!!! That's a disgrace! :furious:

Although I've changed my mind MV, Groot wouldn't have made Hateful Eight better. Groot is too grounded a character for QT's world of silly, over-the-top caricatures and stereotypes. He just wouldn't have fitted in.

Oh yeah, and Groot for President bitches!!!

Miss Vicky 01-04-16 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 1433239)
QT's world of silly, over-the-top caricatures and stereotypes.

Right, because there's so much depth to a wooden character that says nothing but "I am Groot." Or something. :skeptical:

honeykid 01-04-16 11:06 AM

Without wishing to tread on toes, I think that was kind of the point. ;)

Omnizoa 01-04-16 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1433222)
Groot is rubbish. Sorry, JD, but after watching that film my biggest feeling was "how did that become a thing?"
Other than knowing Rocket Raccoon was in the movie, the only thing I ever heard about GotG was people giggling over the "I am Groot" line. I asked people what was so funny about it and they just looked at me.

Righteously turned me off of seeing it.

Miss Vicky 01-09-16 10:57 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...g/revenant.gif

The Revenant (Alejandro González Iñárritu , 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 1/9/16
Cinema or Home: Cinema, with Funny Face and her friend
Reason For Watching: Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy

Visually, this is one of the most gorgeous films I've seen. The cinematography is absolutely breathtaking. It is a spectacular showcase of the beauty and savagery of nature and of man. The film is full of tension and dread and both DiCaprio and, perhaps especially, Hardy excel in their roles.

Sadly, the animators that rendered the CG in this film did not excel. The infamous bear and some wolves seen later in the film look and move in a way that is jarringly unnatural. The film is also a bit longer than it needed to be, but these are relatively minor complaints and the strengths of this film far outweigh its weaknesses.

+

Sexy Celebrity 01-09-16 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1433240)
Right, because there's so much depth to a wooden character that says nothing but "I am Groot." Or something. :skeptical:
You love Honeykid and he/she doesn't say much that's really funny.

seanc 01-09-16 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1436286)
http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...g/revenant.gif

The Revenant (Alejandro González Iñárritu , 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 1/9/16
Cinema or Home: Cinema, with Funny Face and her friend
Reason For Watching: Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy

Visually, this is one of the most gorgeous films I've seen. The cinematography is absolutely breathtaking. It is a spectacular showcase of the beauty and savagery of nature and of man. The film is full of tension and dread and both DiCaprio and, perhaps especially, Hardy excel in their roles.

Sadly, the animators that rendered the CG in this film did not excel. The infamous bear and some wolves seen later in the film look and move in a way that is jarringly unnatural. The film is also a bit longer than it needed to be, but these are relatively minor complaints and the strengths of this film far outweigh its weaknesses.

+
The cinematography really is amazing. I thought the bear was pretty damn impressive. 24 hours and I already don't remember the wolf. Remind me where it is. Glad you liked it MV. Very impressive experience for me.