Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Name an actor that you recently became a fan of. (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=38824)

False Writer 02-10-15 10:46 PM

Name an actor that you recently became a fan of.

Whether you're taking notice of an emerging star or discovering a classic screen legend, name an actor or actress that you recently became a fan of. And if you discover another one in the future don't be afraid to post it here!

I'll start with James Coburn, an actor who was prominent in the 60's and 70's then made a comeback in the 90's. I first saw him in Cross of Iron then saw him again in The Magnificent Seven which was one of his first big films and saw that even just starting out he had that same bad-ass presence to him.

I've just purchased The Great Escape, where he stars with many of the actors he worked with in TM7 and also purchased Affliction where he won an academy award for best supporting actor. He's one of those actors where you just want to see each of his films because you know it'll be interesting just cause that actor's in it.

Geek4Film 02-10-15 11:13 PM

Re: Name an actor that you recently became a fan of.

I have recently become obsessed with films from Asia, specifically Korean movies. I think it had started many years ago after I saw R-Point. I had always liked the few films that were easily accessible from the bigger names in Korean cinema, such as Min-sik Choi, Dong-gun Jang, Jeon-min Hwang, Byung-hun Lee or Jung-Jae Lee. All are great actors but are relatively well known amongst "film people".

However, one name that I hadn't heard of before recently and have really enjoyed in these films is Ryu Seung-ryong. This guy is incredible. I can't believe I hadn't heard of him from my friends before. His role in The Front Line was worth the watch alone.

Gideon58 02-11-15 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1253967)
Whether you're taking notice of an emerging star or discovering a classic screen legend, name an actor or actress that you recently became a fan of. And if you discover another one in the future don't be afraid to post it here!

I'll start with James Coburn, an actor who was prominent in the 60's and 70's then made a comeback in the 90's. I first saw him in Cross of Iron then saw him again in The Magnificent Seven which was one of his first big films and saw that even just starting out he had that same bad-ass presence to him.

I've just purchased The Great Escape, where he stars with many of the actors he worked with in TM7 and also purchased Affliction where he won an academy award for best supporting actor. He's one of those actors where you just want to see each of his films because you know it'll be interesting just cause that actor's in it.
Have always loved James Coburn...you should check out the two movies that made me officially fall in love with him...Our Man Flint and In Like Flint. I would also recommend The President's Analyst and Dead Heat on a Merry Go Round.

False Writer 02-11-15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 1254152)
Have always loved James Coburn...you should check out the two movies that made me officially fall in love with him...Our Man Flint and In Like Flint. I would also recommend The President's Analyst and Dead Heat on a Merry Go Round.
Thanks! I also want to check out Duck, You Sucker! and Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. Have you seen them?

Gonna watch Affliction today, can't wait especially since I'm also a Willem Dafoe fan.

90sAce 02-11-15 04:44 PM

Jake Gyllenhall was good in End of Watch and Prisoners - I'd never paid attention to him before that

Pippo 02-11-15 06:19 PM

I think I am becoming a fan of Mark Strong
http://www.themovies.co.za/wp-conten...ark-strong.jpg

matt72582 02-11-15 06:21 PM

Cassavetes, Mifune

False Writer 02-11-15 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pippo (Post 1254334)
I think I am becoming a fan of Mark Strong
http://www.themovies.co.za/wp-conten...ark-strong.jpg
Not familiar with him, what has he played in?

kais 02-11-15 07:17 PM

Liv Ullman. I liked her in Persona but after watching Hour of the Wolf, I've really grown fond of her and plan on watching the rest of her films.

The Rodent 02-11-15 07:18 PM

Mark Strong was in Robin Hood and Kick Ass.

I've recently become a huge fane of Sam Rockwell. Seen a load of his movies but Moon really nailed it for me.

Pippo 02-11-15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1254381)
I watched him in:
The Guard 2011
Blood
Anna 2013
Before I Go to Sleep 2014

the last two are really good movies

Miss Vicky 02-11-15 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1254381)
What hasn't he played in recently? Dude seems to be everywhere.

Among other films, he's in:
The Imitation Game
Zero Dark Thirty
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Green Lantern
The Eagle
Robin Hood
Kick-Ass
Sherlock Holmes

cricket 02-11-15 10:13 PM

Burt Lancaster
Toshiro Mifune
Audrey Hepburn
Jane Fonda
Steve Carell
Klaus Kinski
Peter Falk

mark f 02-11-15 10:21 PM

I've kinda grown a soft spot for Mos Def whom I've taken for granted in the past.

Daniel M 02-11-15 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1254507)
I've kinda grown a soft spot for Mos Def whom I've taken for granted in the past.
He was cool on "Dexter".

I like Mark Ruffalo a lot than I did before, but I hadn't seen him in much.

cricket 02-11-15 11:19 PM

I became a Mark Ruffalo fan when I saw You Can Count On Me.

Chardee MacDennis 02-12-15 12:22 AM

Jack O'Connell & Tatsuya Nakadai.

Gideon58 02-12-15 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by False Writer (Post 1254181)
Thanks! I also want to check out Duck, You Sucker! and Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. Have you seen them?

Gonna watch Affliction today, can't wait especially since I'm also a Willem Dafoe fan.
Haven't seen Duck you Sucker, but Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is a classic.

BlueLion 02-12-15 11:58 AM

Max von Sydow
Tom Hardy

Citizen Rules 02-12-15 01:59 PM

Max von Sydow is a favorite of mine. He always adds a richness to the films that he is in.