Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lennon's reviews! (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=14812)

Lennon 12-31-07 01:31 AM

Lennon's reviews! Your true protecter from crap!

Hello, I am Lennon,

Plots I have made are not in Italics,
Plot summaries from IMDB or Netflix are in Italics

Lennon 12-31-07 01:32 AM

Re: Lennon's reviews!

Juno:

http://www.tiff07.ca/images/films200...1539101386.jpg

Jason Reitman delivers us a winning indie

Jason Reitman, (who gave us one of my favorite satires of all-time "Thank You for Smoking") directs a very different comedy, about teenage pregnancy.

Ellen Page is Juno, who just found out that her pregnancy test isn't an etch-a-sketch and that she really is pregnant. Page easily delivers the best performance of the movie and just maybe the year. Fresh off from Superbad, Micheal Cera is also Oscar-worthy as Paulie Bleeker, the best friend to Juno, and is also the future dad of Juno Jr. Previous The Kingdom stars Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman play as the Lorings, the young, educated and some-what creepy couple that wants to adopt Juno's future baby, are also played very well.

I must only give this 4 out of 5 because of two major factors, despite phenomenal dialogue written by stripper to blogger to screenwriter Diablo Cody, I thought that she didn't write enough lines for Juno's dad, Mac MacGruff (brilliantly played by J.K. Simmons.) Also, I think this might have just have been me but Page and Bateman's relationship on screen just creeped me out.

Lennon 12-31-07 01:34 AM

Die Hard: with a Vengence

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/N/W/...d42007prev.jpg

Simon says, go rent this movie

John McTiernan returns to his Die Hard fame in the 3rd film of the series.

Bruce Willis is back as John McClane the cop with a major attitude. He is on suspension, but when a madman who goes by the name "Simon", blows up a truck on a New York sidewalk, he is called back into action. Simon gives McClane objectives and riddles to solve, or else he blows up more building, including a school. With the help of a black shopkeeper (played by the always awesome Sam Jackson) John must save New York yet again.

What can I say about this movie? Jeremy Irons, (who brilliantly plays Simon) rivals the acting of Mr. Alan Rickman in the original Die Hard. The explosions look and sound awesome. This really revives the series.I must only give this a 4.5 out of 5 because, they got rid of McClane's wife, I really liked that character and it could have added more comedic possibilities.

Lennon 12-31-07 01:41 AM

Assualt on Precinct 13 (2005)

http://www.enterstageright.com/archi...precinct13.jpg

If you forget the original, you will enjoy this

Jean-François Richet gives us a modern update to John Carpenter's original film, which besides similar plots and names, really have nothing in common.

Laurence Fishburne dominates the screen as a cop killer, Marion Bishop, who is arrested and put on a bus to go to a prison, but when the bus almost breaks down because of a New Years Eve blizzard, they are forced to stay at Precinct 13, which is closing down in a couple of days and only has 3 officers working the shift. Those three officers are Sgt. Joe Roenick, who has a troubled past (played nicely by Ethan Hawke, who also dominates the screen.) Sgt. Jasper O'Shea, who is retiring the next day, (very well played by Brian Dennehy.) Also, a very hot officer, Iris Ferry (played by Drea de Matteo.) A civilian with the officers is Roenick's therapist, Dr. Alex Sabian (who had some major on and off acting moments by Maria Bello) to talk about Roenick's dark past.

Also, there are 3 other prisoners on the bus with Bishop played named Beck (played by John Leguizamo, who has some major on and off moments of acting in this.) Smiley (horribly played by Ja Rule) who is really the weakest link in this movie. Also, there is Anna (another on and off performance by Aisha Hinds.) But when corrupt cops try to break in to the precinct in order to execute Bishop because they have a corrupt deal with him and don't want him talking, Sgt. Roenick must arm the prisoners to survive the night.

This movie was entertaining for the most part, but only a 3.5 out of 5 because of two major reasons. The first reason is all the prisoners acting (besides Fishburne) are very stereotyped and have horrible acting skills that really brought it down to an 4 out of 5. Also, there are a lot of things in the movie that doesn't make sense (like how the cop traitor* could have just offed them all, one by one)

* not the real characters name

Lennon 12-31-07 01:44 AM

30 Days of Night

http://www.exclaim.ca/images/up-130days.jpg

Nights are very dark in 30 Days

David Slade gives us a dark, depressing film that rivals the darkness of Tim Burton's original Batman, based on Steve Niles phenomenal graphic novel.

Our story is about the town of Barrow, Alaska preparing for their annual 30 Days of Night, where the sun won't come out for, you guessed it 30 days. But, when a stranger (very well played by Ben Foster) comes and sabotages the town,. Vampires start attacking, they are in some deep trouble.

I must vote this movie only and 4 out of 5 because despite a great premise, great looking vampire, and more blood then Dracula can drink, the only thing that brought this film down was the fact that most of the vampires (besides it leader) only shrieked, that really annoyed me. All shrieks aside, this film made me feel like a vampire in a blood bank.

meatwadsprite 12-31-07 05:01 AM

Page and Bateman's relationship was my favorite part of that whole movie

Lennon 12-31-07 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by meatwadsprite (Post 402160)
Page and Bateman's relationship was my favorite part of that whole movie
It really just creeped my out..

Lennon 12-31-07 07:37 PM

The Evil Dead

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.ya.../evildead1.jpg

The Evil are very gory when they are Dead

Sam Rami gives us a gory good time in his first, feature-length film.

Cult-favorite Bruce Campbell gives the performance of his career as Ash Williams, also starring are Ellen Sandweiss, who plays the best deadite, as Sheryl. To round out the cast are Hal Delrich playing Scott, Theresa Tilly playing Shelly, and Betsy Baker as Linda, Ash’s girlfriend.

These five teens go to a cabin for a weekend getaway that Scott bought cheap (Gee, I wonder why?) But while exploring the cabin’s basement with Ash, they find three objects, a shotgun, a tape recorder, and an ancient book bound in flesh and written in blood. Yeah, that’s a good sign. Well, in true dumb teen fashion, they play the tape, which makes something evil come from the woods. Later that day Cheryl decides to check something outside, she thought she saw. But when the trees rape her. Yes, rape, I know. The evil manifests in her, and she becomes a deadite, now Ash must fight off his friends and sister who are becoming deadites, one by one.

I must give this film a ten because it has a great premise. Great gore. Great special effects. Great everything. Best horror movie ever made!

TheUsualSuspect 01-01-08 05:58 PM

Totally agree with your review of Evil Dead. I love all three films.

Lennon 01-01-08 11:49 PM

A Clockwork Orange

http://www.robokopp.de/images/clockw..._orange_04.jpg

Kubrick’s TRUE masterpiece

A Clockwork Orange is, to put it simply, one of the scariest movies ever made. I know a lot of people like Dr. Strangelove, but I must say this is one of the best films ever made.

Malcom McDowell gives an oscar-gypt’d performance as Alex de Large who, with his droogs, go out, rape, beat, and kill many people. When, Alex finds his droogs making plans about robbing a dairy behind his back, he feels threatened but go along with their plan. Then he attacks his droogs as they walk down a pier, saying that the sound of Beethoven from a passing car inspired his violence. We see them in a restaurant and Alex once again brings up the dairy robbery plan. At the dairy they try to convince the rich lady at the dairy to let her in but she gets suspicious and calls the police. When the cops arrive, Alex’s droogs betray him, knock him out, and run. To shorten his sentence Alex agrees to "aversion therapy" which seems to change him, or does it?

Rounding out the cast are Patrick Magee, Michael Bates, Warren Clarke, and John Clive.

I wish I could give this film a 6 out of 5 just for a revolutionary, directorial look, where Kubrick has many bad scenes accompanied by jolly music; where if we are to experience them as we should, we have to do it consciously, by realizing they are bad, and not because the director tells us so through the use of music and images. Just a terrific movie.

Lennon 01-02-08 12:49 AM

Jesus Camp

http://www.caica.org/jesus%20camp%20part%202.jpg

The Darker Side of Faith

Heidi Ewig and Rachel Grady give us a stunning documentary about a Christian camp.

Enter the camp Kids on Fire, an extremist Christian’s wet dream. There Becky Fischer fills their head with negative views. * One must see to believe.

One of the best documentaries I have ever seen, how this didn’t win the Oscar for best documentary over an over-exaggerated power-point (just kidding, but I do think this is better.)

*Note; note saying God doesn’t exist, but that all people who are not like them are going to hell.

Lennon 01-02-08 05:01 AM

Pixar Short Films Collection: Volume 1

http://www.pixar.com/shorts/kk/images/landing_1.jpg

The most entertaining five minutes, times thirteen

Disney’s Pixar animation studio gives us thirteen great short films, now with commentary.

Let me take you back, twelve years back with a boy right in the middle row of the theater, watching Toy Story. Being two at the time, I never understood why so many people thought this film was revolutionary; I just liked the cowboy. Now, coming back to Pixar, and watching their early work, I realize why everyone was so stunned. The animation now is just beautiful, I mean especially Andre & Wally B, for their technology, it is just beautiful. All of these shorts are humorous and the documentary is just awesome.

These film is just perfect, all of the films look stunning and are entertaining, This now, and forever will keep a special place in my heart.

Lennon 01-02-08 06:21 AM

The Shawshank Redemption

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.ya.../shawshank.jpg
Just phenomenal

That’s right, this film is so amazing, it doesn’t need to stand behind a flashy tagline in a review. Frank Darabont’s true masterpiece.

Tim Robbins gives an Oscar-gypt’d performance as Andy Dufresne, an upstanding banker, framed for murder and sentenced to Two life terms. There he meets Red (played by the immortal Mr. Morgan Freeman, who gives us the best voice-overs in movie history.) In prison, Dufresne becomes well known with the inmates for his courage, after being raped basically everyday for a month, and hope that the justice system will see him through.

This film is a true masterpiece that can only come from years in the movie business, but Frank had close to none. He had only done two films before that weren’t very good, I guess this proves what you can do with raw talent today.

Thursday Next 01-04-08 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lennon (Post 402530)

an Oscar-gypt’d performance
Ok, I have to ask...what does this mean?

mark f 01-04-08 03:46 AM

I think it means that Robbins deserved the Oscar although he was apparently cheated (or gyped) out of it. I guess it's a racist reference to gypsies, but I've never even thought of the "meaning" before.

Lennon 01-04-08 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 403023)
I think it means that Robbins deserved the Oscar although he was apparently cheated (or gyped) out of it. I guess it's a racist reference to gypsies, but I've never even thought of the "meaning" before.
Yea, I know, but no offence to the Gypsies, I always use that saying, it is in A Clockwork Orange, and he wa gypt'd out of an oscar..

Lennon 01-04-08 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 403021)
Ok, I have to ask...what does this mean?
It means he was cheated out of an Oscar

mark f 01-04-08 11:34 PM

No, I don't think it's racist. It's just that as I get older, many terms that were commonplace are getting weened from our usage. I have no problems with that. I just think that people don't focus on the "common sense" meaning of something and get hung up on where it came from a hundred years ago and a continent away.

It works in reverse too. I can say things which make total sense to anybody who has seen a film before 1950, but my students think all terms have to do with sex and/or drugs. You try to explain history to them, and they (about 80%, the ones who already know everything) think you're lying.

meatwadsprite 01-05-08 11:26 AM

I think you're lying mark

Lennon 01-06-08 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 403229)
No, I don't think it's racist. It's just that as I get older, many terms that were commonplace are getting weened from our usage. I have no problems with that. I just think that people don't focus on the "common sense" meaning of something and get hung up on where it came from a hundred years ago and a continent away.

It works in reverse too. I can say things which make total sense to anybody who has seen a film before 1950, but my students think all terms have to do with sex and/or drugs. You try to explain history to them, and they (about 80%, the ones who already know everything) think you're lying.
like the C word that rymes with Knock, use to mean a rooster. A H word that rymes with NO, use to be a gardening tool. Coke was a Coke-a-cola,

and meat: He wasn't lying