Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The last time a film made you jump? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=44238)

SeeingisBelieving 01-16-16 06:09 PM

The last time a film made you jump?

In my case perhaps not for the reason you may expect. It was in Caché / Hidden (2005).

WARNING: "" spoilers below
The scene where Majid commits suicide. Being unprepared for it I cried out and jumped all at once – I was that shocked. I can't remember that happening during a film before or since.

MovieMeditation 01-16-16 06:25 PM

Re: The last time a film made you jump?

Why did I read the title of the thread like, 'Last time you made a dump?' What's wrong with me...

Derek Vinyard 01-16-16 06:29 PM

Sinister

Best modern horror.

Stormdust 01-17-16 02:57 AM

Saw the Conjuring couple months back, aside from all the advertised scares there were a few jumping moments.

colejwalker 01-17-16 05:58 AM

Insidious made me jump a little and I also agree with Sinister although I think both of these aren't really good movies. I kind of miss the old school type of horror. Babadook made me jump, but once you know the ending the movie isn't really that scary anymore.

SeeingisBelieving 01-17-16 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 1440622)
Why did I read the title of the thread like, 'Last time you made a dump?' What's wrong with me...
Maybe it's the weird Futura "j":).

jockland 01-17-16 01:06 PM

Absentia (2012).

Another creepy, modern horror. A simple scene involving a shower curtain.

SeeingisBelieving 01-17-16 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jockland (Post 1441070)
Absentia (2012).

Another creepy, modern horror. A simple scene involving a shower curtain.
Oh aye?:p

doubledenim 01-18-16 09:59 PM

The chair through the window in Scream.

Omnizoa 01-23-16 02:14 AM

Last time I saw The Grudge.

Since then I've just been permanently braced against jumpscares during obvious horror setups.

The ambient noise ducks out and the character is looking around frightened? I mute that ****.

SeeingisBelieving 01-23-16 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1444890)
Last time I saw The Grudge.

Since then I've just been permanently braced against jumpscares during obvious horror setups.

The ambient noise ducks out and the character is looking around frightened? I mute that ****.
I know what you mean: you understand the editing language in the end and get wise to the tricks.

There was a very clever independent horror film made for some horror thing on BBC Three a few months ago. It subverted the usual format really well and involved a character looking towards an open door for several seconds.

Then, the supernatural threat was instead right next to the person, above them on the bed. It was great.

AdamUpBxtch 01-23-16 11:59 AM

The Conjuring was the last film that made me actually jump.

MovieGal 01-23-16 12:04 PM

Its been so long that a horror film made me jump... seriously I watch a lot of horror that I know what to expect.. so its hard for me to think of any film...

Omnizoa 01-23-16 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1444969)
I know what you mean: you understand the editing language in the end and get wise to the tricks.

There was a very clever independent horror film made for some horror thing on BBC Three a few months ago. It subverted the usual format really well and involved a character looking towards an open door for several seconds.

Then, the supernatural threat was instead right next to the person, above them on the bed. It was great.
Sounds good, but I'm also wary of double-fakeouts since even that's becoming a cliche.

I've heard someone say "you only get one" and I'm inclined to agree. You startle the audience once, you're not going to get the same reaction twice unless they're total horror movie virgins.

Then again some people are just easy. It used to get me all the time, but now I'm going,

"It's behind her, it's behind her, it's behind her, it's behind her, it's behind her-"

*LOUD MUSICAL STING*

"Called it."

SeeingisBelieving 01-23-16 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1444994)
Sounds good, but I'm also wary of double-fakeouts since even that's becoming a cliche.
Oh, this was choice, believe me:).

Omnizoa 01-23-16 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1445202)
Oh, this was choice, believe me:).
I'll take your word on that one.

colejwalker 01-23-16 07:30 PM

The last film that actually made me jump was House of the Devil (2009). I forgot about this little gem, it's got a really slow build up, but I found myself really into the atmosphere it was setting. Its a great concept when you actually watch the film, but the last 20 minutes are brutal and worth the wait in my opinion. Ti West doesn't always do great stuff, but this is probably the best thing he has ever done.

SeeingisBelieving 01-24-16 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by colejwalker (Post 1445293)
The last film that actually made me jump was House of the Devil (2009). I forgot about this little gem, it's got a really slow build up, but I found myself really into the atmosphere it was setting. Its a great concept when you actually watch the film, but the last 20 minutes are brutal and worth the wait in my opinion. Ti West doesn't always do great stuff, but this is probably the best thing he has ever done.
I'd not heard of that one, it sounds interesting.

SeeingisBelieving 01-24-16 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Omnizoa (Post 1445244)
I'll take your word on that one.
Ha ha:). Okay. I've located it – it was titled 3AM and part of BBC Three's The Fear run of short horror films.

Here's a link to the short on YouTube. There's also a good one called Anomaly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV1E...L7f-M3GCnkZH1U

Omnizoa 01-24-16 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving (Post 1445703)
Ha ha:). Okay. I've located it – it was titled 3AM and part of BBC Three's The Fear run of short horror films.

Here's a link to the short on YouTube.
DAH!!! **** you! He was looking at a clock, not a door!